FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Few Degrees Shy of Heaven"
Part 12
by Christina
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing.
Summary: ***If you haven't read Road Trip, much of this will not make sense***
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Kyle recovered quickly. "Gee Deluca. Didn't know you cared," he said, smiling into her eyes sarcastically. "Now, will you get off of me?"

She sat up, getting off of him and he sat up as well. *What now?* she sent frantically to Michael who was back with Lisa, checking out her hand.

"Take her to the nurse," he told one of Lisa's cronies. Then he walked over to where Maria and Kyle were sitting on the ground. He grabbed the collar of Kyle's western style shirt and pulled him to his feet.

"Get off!" Kyle yelled angrily, pushing Michael away with his palms. Michael stumbled backwards and Kyle turned to walk away when Maria jumped in front of him.

"Please, Kyle. We need to talk to you!" She said desperately.

"Why?" he asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"How about why I tackled you," she replied, trying to assess whether or not he knew why she attacked him.

Kyle glanced sideways at Michael and then said, "You have five minutes."

"Let's go to the music room," Michael said and began walking towards the art hallway.

"After you," Maria said when Kyle made no move to follow him.

Kyle sighed and reluctantly turned to follow Michael, with Maria on his heel. When they entered the class, Maria made sure the doors were shut and turned to face the guys.

When no one spoke, Kyle rolled his eyes and said, "Well, kids, as stimulating as this conversation is, I really need to be getting to class."

"Wait!" Maria said, blocking his way. "Look Kyle, I don't really know to say this so I'll just say it. Who are you?'

Kyle arched an amused eyebrow at her. "You're kidding me, right?"

"Look, Valenti. Cut the crap!" Michael growled. "We saw what you did out there to Lisa. What the hell are you?"

Kyle looked between Michael and Maria and said, "What? Have you guys lost your minds?"

"Don't pull this shit. We saw you," Michael said, stalking up to Kyle.

"Lisa was fifteen feet away from me. How the hell could I have done anything to her?" He yelled at Michael who had gotten right in his face.

With both hands, Michael grabbed Kyle's arms and shook him fiercely. "Listen you fuck! You did something to her, you made that locker repeatedly crush her hand and I want to know how you did it? NOW!!!"

Kyle's eyes flashed. "I don't know what you're talking about Guerin, but if you don't let me go...."

Michael cut him off. "You'll what? What will you do to me, Kyle?" Kyle tried to push Michael away but his grip was too strong. Maria could tell what Michael was trying to do so she didn't interrupt.

"What Kyle? You'll what? You'll kick the shit out of me? You'll run and tell your daddy?" He shook Kyle again and said, "Tell me asshole!"

Kyle played right into Michael's hands. Both Maria and Michael could sense Kyle's intense anger growing inside and Michael braced himself as it shot out, sending him flying across the room.

"That!" Michael yelled, standing up and clutching his side in mild pain. "How did you do that, Kyle?"

"I don't know!" Kyle screamed in frustration.

Maria decided to try. "Kyle," she said softly. "Look, we're not going to try to harm you. We just want to know what's happening? Why and how you can do the things you're doing."

Kyle sighed in defeat and looked Maria in the eye. "I don't know why or how I do these things. I'm just a freak or something."

Taking a chance, she walked over to Kyle and put her hand on his sleeve. "Your not a freak, Kyle. It's been happening to me too."

His eyes reflected shock. "Do you know why?" he asked after a moment.

She shook her head softly and said, "Sorta but not really."

"Sorta?"

"If I tell you a secret will you promise not to tell anyone?" she asked him. She could feel Michael's outrage when he sensed what she was going to say and she sent silently, *Michael, I know what I'm doing. My way is working better than yours, so shut up!* He sighed in resignation and leaned back against the wall.

Kyle nodded. "Sure, I promise," he answered and she could tell that he was being honest.

"I'm pregnant, Kyle."

"Wow," he said, surprised and then confusion crossed over his face. "What does that have to do with having powers though?"

Looking him straight in the eye she said, "The baby is only half human."

"Come again?"

"My baby is only half human, Kyle. And since I've been pregnant, I've had powers."

"What's the other half?" Kyle asked slowly, looking over at Michael.

Maria opened her mouth but Michael stopped her. "No! You are not telling him! I forbid you to tell him!" he screamed.

"Kyle," Maria said, "I will tell you," she looked over at Michael and said, "I'm calling the shots here." Then to Kyle she said, "First though, when did you first get these powers?"

"On Sunday night, when I caught Vicky making out with Tommy, why?"

"What happened?"

"I got extremely angry and the six pack of beer on the ground exploded."

"My baby is half alien, Kyle." She answered and she heard Michael suck in a deep breath.

"I knew it," Kyle said calmly, not showing much surprise. He looked at Michael and said, "You're the father, aren't you? You're an alien?"

Michael nodded. "What do you mean you knew?"

"I only had my suspicions," he shrugged. "I've seen things that didn't make sense."

"You're not going to tell your dad, Kyle, are you?" Maria pleaded.

Kyle shook his head and bitterly said, "No. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing. He's too obsessed with the whole alien thing so I don't want him to know. But what does this have to do with me? Why am I having the same powers."

"That's a good question," Maria replied. She heard the five-minute bell ring and she said, "Kyle, will you meet us after school? So we can all try to figure out what's going on."

"I'll skip practice," he said nodding. "Just curious, but who all will be there?"

Maria said, "Michael, me, Liz, Izzy, Max, and Alex."

"The Evans are aliens too, huh?"

Maria nodded and said, "Meet us in the parking lot after school, okay."

"Sure," he agreed. He walked over to Michael who was glaring unhappily. "I won't say a thing, Guerin," he promised. "I'm in the same boat, and I just want to find out what the hell is going on?" He held out his hand to Michael in a truce.

Michael scowled at Kyle's extended hand and then reluctantly shook it. "Listen Valenti, you expose us and I'll expose you. That's a promise."

"You have no worries. I won't tell," Kyle said firmly, shaking his head and then turning to leave.

"Hey Maria," he turned to look at her as he reached the door.

"Yes Kyle?"

"Thanks."

Her forehead wrinkled and she said, "For what?"

"For trusting me."

She smiled and then he was gone.

She turned back to Michael and saw that he was furious. "What the hell was that, Maria?" he screamed, venom in his voice.

Maria's smile faded and she walked towards him. "He won't tell," she said with conviction. "We needed him to trust us if he was going to tell us what was going on."

"You better be right, Maria. If not, it means all our asses including yours," he pushed past her and stalked out of the room.

Maria closed her eyes and sighed, jumping when she heard the door slam. She was doing the right thing, she knew it. She was just going to have to convince Michael. The final bell rang and she cursed. She was late to class.

*****

When Maria arrived to English class, she tried to talk to Michael but he was still too angry with her.

Class began and she switched to their silent form of communication. *Please Michael,* she pleaded.

He ignored her, sending her an image of a cold shoulder while physically turning away from her as well. A tear slid down her cheek and landed on her open book. She buried her head in her hands and let the tears fall.

She hadn't realized how much she depended on Michael lately. His love and support and strength was all she had lately to keep her going while she dealt with her newfound powers and the baby growing inside of her. She didn't know what she would do if he didn't forgive her.

She could tell that Michael had noticed her crying and felt a sharp flash of sympathy from him but he stubbornly clung to his anger and persisted to ignore her.

She sobbed silently into her hands for several moments and didn't look up until she heard a knock at the door. She sniffed and watched as Mr. Flores walked over to the door.

Her heart stopped and she felt Michael's fear and rage when she saw Sheriff Valenti at the door. He talked quietly with the teacher for a moment and then the teacher said, "Michael, the Sheriff needs to talk to you."

Valenti grinned broadly at Michael.

Michael flashed his enraged eyes at Maria and his mental voice echoed in her head. *I fucking knew it! Thanks Maria!*

Part 11 | Index | Part 13
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.