FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 13
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
As Max and Liz got further and further from the cave, Max’s mind began to snap back into reality. What had happened back there? What was he doing? It was like he lost all sense of reality and control when he saw those cave paintings. He had forgotten that Liz knew nothing about him, and concentrated solely on finding out his past.

What was Liz thinking? Max had no idea, but he figured it must not be good. He was probably completely confusing her, and he had no idea how to respond to his actions. He couldn’t just ignore it this time like he did with the flashes. At least in that situation his actions were completely unconscious, but this time he had been fully aware of what he was doing, and he didn’t stop. Liz was bound to have questions, and Max wasn’t sure if he had answers.

What was he supposed to tell her? The truth? ‘Hi, I’m really an alien from outer space, and those cave symbols were from my home planet. It’s the first clue I’ve ever had that might help me find out where I came from.’ Nope. He couldn’t do it.

He has to tell her something though. Maybe he should just be honest with her and tell her that it's something that he couldn’t talk to her about. That would hurt her though. Max didn’t want to hurt her. He’d do anything to avoid that.

It was a no win situation. He would either hurt Liz, or he’d hurt Michael and Isabel. The only question was…who?

The arrived back at the jeep and climbed in, but Max didn’t start the car. Instead he turned to face Liz…

“I’m sorry for the way I acted back there.”

“Yeah, what was that? I’m kind of curious.”

Liz really wanted to know what was going on back there. Max had been acting really weird…it was the first time she had ever been…uncomfortable…around him. She didn’t like that. It had scared her a little…

She knew it couldn’t be anything scary or dangerous. Max was the sweetest, gentlest guy she had ever known. He couldn’t be mixed up in anything weird. Maybe he just had an intense fascination with cave paintings.

But it didn’t seem like a fascination…more like an obsession…

There was a long uncomfortable pause before Max finally responded.

“Liz, I love you with all my heart, and it would kill me to know that I’ve hurt you in any way. I want to prevent that at all costs. That’s what makes this so hard. Do you remember when we had that talk the other day, and I told you that there were some things that I don’t like to talk about? I said that I’d share everything except those things, and…well…this is one of those things.”

Liz nodded. “I hope you know that you can trust me.”

“I know that, Liz. I really do. I’m just not ready yet… I’m sorry.”

“Yet?” Liz inquired softly, a slight trace of hopefulness sneaking into her voice.

“Yeah, yet. I really want to be able to talk to you about this someday, Liz. I just can’t yet.”

Liz nodded stiffly in response, obviously not totally accepting his response yet. Apparently Max didn’t trust her…

“Liz, look at me. Please? Have faith in me. Being with you…it has been the most incredible experience of my life, and I don’t want to loose it, especially over this. We have something special going here. This thing, that I can’t talk about…I’ve never talked to anyone about it, at all. Except for the other people it involves, but that’s not important. My parents don’t even know…and I’ve never wanted to tell anyone before…until you, Liz. I love you.”

“I love you too, Max.”

“Then lets just hold onto that, Liz, and forget about what just happened.” Max pleaded with her, desperate for her to forgive him.

Liz nodded slowly. “All right Max. I just really wish you could be straight forward and open with me.”

“So do I.” Max whispered, as the jeep roared to life, and they sped away from the cliffs. Max wanted to get as far from there as possible, shuddering at the memories of his actions in the cave. They could have cost him his entire relationship with Liz, and she almost found out his secret. He couldn’t let that happen yet…not until Michael and Isabel were ready too.

Max never looked back as he left the cave. He never wanted to see the place again.

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.