FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 20
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
Things were hectic in the Crashdown all afternoon. It wasn’t long before the police arrived, and Sheriff Valenti questioned everyone in the café, including Liz, Max, and Maria.

Everyone’s story was pretty similar. They heard the argument, and then a gun went off. There were no injuries, and no bullet hole could be found. The final decision was that the gun must have dry fired. An argument had gotten out of hand. It wasn’t a big deal. No one wanted to press any charges, so the whole incident was over with.

Maria was the most shaken up out of everyone in the café. She was the serving the gunmen, and was the only person who really got a good look at what was going on. In a normal situation, Liz would have been right by Maria’s side, helping her out…but she had her own things on her mind…like Max…and how could he have possibly healed her?

The café remained closed for the day, so Liz and Max were finally able to retire to her bedroom. They sat on the bed, facing each other, staring silently into each other’s eyes, neither one sure of where to start.

Finally Liz started, her voice quivering slightly as she tried to organize her thoughts.

“I got shot, Max. I could feel the life seeping out of me. I was dying. And then…you put your hand there…and…you healed me, Max. You saved my life. How is that possible?”

Max took a deep breath before answering.

“It’s possible because of what I am, Liz.”

“What you are?”

“I’m…different, Liz.”

“Different, how?”

“Different, in that I’m…I’m not exactly human.”

“What?” Liz gasped.

“God this is so hard!” Max cried out as he jumped up and started pacing around the room. “I think…I think I was in the 1947 crash. I think I’m an alien.”

“Alien?” Liz questioned softly.

“Yeah…I was in this incubation pod, and that night that my parents found me on the highway…that was the day I was really born, Liz. That was the day I came out of my pod.”

Liz nodded slowly, as she tried to take all of it in. Her boyfriend was an alien? It was all just so preposterous. But Max was there, staring at her so seriously with those huge, incredible eyes of his, pleading with her to believe him. It was hard not to… Why would he lie to her?

“I know it’s hard to believe, Liz, but it’s all true. I swear to you. I’ve never lied to you, Liz. I couldn’t do that…I love you too much to lie to you. Please, Liz. Believe in me.”

He knelt in front of where she sat, staring up at her, desperate for a sign, any sign, of what she was thinking.

“I believe you.” Liz answered softly. She reached out her hand to cup his cheek and stroke it gently. “I believe you.” She repeated.

Max closed his eyes in relief. “Thank you.” He whispered as he shivered slightly under her touch.

“Thank you for saving my life.”

“I didn’t have a choice.” Max explained. “I’m nothing without you. Before you came into my life, it was like I wasn’t even living. I just went through the motions, day by day, wishing for some escape. And then you asked me to lunch that day…and I began to live. My entire life…it’s all about you, Liz.”

Liz’s eyes glazed over with impending tears, as she leaned down and captured Max’s lips in response. Liz shivered at the charge that ran between them…it was so powerful! It charged her whole soul. Was this normal?

It wasn’t long before the connection between them surged up once more, and this time, neither of them tried to run from it. Instead they embraced it, accepting it and each other. They were swimming in each other’s emotions, grasping each one and pulling it in hungrily, awed as they experienced each other’s deepest thoughts and feelings.

Now, Liz began to understand Max’s deep feelings of loneliness from before her. He never felt like he belonged here…not because of his adoption, but because of his heritage. And she understood now why he wouldn’t tell her his secret for so long…he was terrified that she might turn away from him, see him as some sort of monster.

Liz pulled away from him slowly, and took Max’s hand firmly, pressing it to her heart.

“I love you, Max. No matter what. Nothing will ever change that.”

Part 19 | Index | Part 21
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.