FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 22
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
It's September 23rd. I'm Liz Parker, and 5 days ago I almost died…I would have died. But then the most incredible thing happened to me. My boyfriend, Max, touched me in a way that he never had before, and he saved my life.

It turns out my boyfriend is an alien. I know, I know…It sounds ridiculous, like something out of a bad science fiction book or something, but it's real…and it's my life.

I realize now as I look back on the four months of my relationship with Max that he was always holding back on me, just a little bit, desperately wanting to be with me, but just as desperately afraid of letting me in and letting me discover the truth about him.

Now there's no more hiding. Max and I can talk about anything, do anything. The possibilities are endless. This relationship…it's incredible. We're connected in a way that I'm not even sure that I understand. It's strange, unearthly…but I like it.

My name is Liz Parker, and I'm insanely in love with an alien. My life will never be the same.

-----

"Liz, honey! Max is here!"

Liz smiled to herself and folded close her journal. It was Friday night, and Max was taking her to the annual Crash Festival. They were meeting the rest of the gang there, and they were all going to hang out together all night…it was going to be a blast!

"Hi!" Liz greeted breathlessly as she crawled back through her bedroom window.

"Hey." Max responded, watching as she stashed her journal back in her underwear drawer. "What are you writing about?"

"Oh nothing, just this amazing guy who I'm insanely in love with." Liz told him mischievously, as she leaned up and pressed a firm kiss on his lips.

"Oh…" Max mumbled against her lips. "Anyone I know?"

Liz laughed and smacked him in the arm. "Come on, let’s go."

----

The six friends smiled and laughed their way through all the alien themed booths and games, playing around together like normal teenage kids.

Liz found herself pulling back and watching her friends at times, and she was noticing things she never had before, like the surprise that flew across Isabel's face every time Alex touched her ever so gently, as if she couldn't believe that anyone could ever care about her the way that he did. She noticed the uncomfortable looks passed between Isabel and Michael every time that Alex cracked some 'alien abduction' jokes, and desperately wished that she could comfort them. What surprised Liz the most though, was Michael and Maria. They were constantly watching each other when they thought the others weren't looking, and they constantly bickered and flirted with one another. Something was definitely going on there. Liz made a mental note to ask Maria about it later.

Liz was saddened though to see with her own eyes how Michael and Isabel obviously held back, still fearful of allowing themselves to get involved, not wanting their secret to be discovered. Liz desperately wanted to pull them aside and tell them that everything would be fine, that it was okay to open up to people. But she couldn't…because they didn't know that she knew about them. They didn't even want her to know.

-----

Liz cheered loudly as Max hit the stack of bottles squarely with his ball, winning the game. He picked out a large, green stuffed alien, which he immediately presented to Liz.

"For you!" He announced as he shoved it into Liz's arms.

"Oh Max! It's so cute!" Liz grinned mischievously. "I'll think of you every time I look at him."

"Yeah, I'll bet you will." Max teased, sliding his arms around Liz's waist, and pulling her in for a soft, sweet kiss. She closed her eyes for a moment and let herself just feel him… Then Liz opened up her eyes and laughed.

"Max, you're squishing Little Max."

Max blushed. "Little Max?" He had hoped she didn't notice that…

"My alien! I'm naming him Little Max!"

"Ohhhh…" Max laughed aloud. "Okay…"

They made their way back to where their four friends waited for them, at a fence beside where the mock crash would take place in five minutes. Liz shoved Little Max at Max, while dragging Maria off to the side to talk. He watched her for a few moments, before turning to find Isabel and Michael staring at him, with the big alien in his arms, amused looks plastered across their faces.

"New friend Maxwell?" Michael asked.

Max just shrugged innocently in response.

-----

Liz dragged Maria a few feet away before pounding her with questions.

"There's something going on between you and Michael, isn't there?"

"I don't know…maybe…"

"How long has this been going on? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't tell you because I wasn't sure what was going on…I'm still not sure."

"How long, Maria?"

"Umm…since Freshman Formal."

"Freshman Formal! That long? And you didn't tell me?"

"Yeah…we kind of had this talk, and danced together and stuff."

"I can't believe you didn't tell me."

"Well, it's not like you've been very available to talk to! You've been so wrapped up with Max."

"I know…I'm sorry Maria."

"Don't apologize! I'm so happy for the two of you! You guys have something special going there. Don't ever regret that for anything."

“God, you’re so good to me Maria!” Liz threw her arms around her best friend, and hugged her tightly.

“You bet I am, and don’t you forget it. Now get back to your man, girl!”

-----

Liz returned to Max, and settled herself by leaning back against Max’s chest, with Little Max clutched tightly in her arms. He slipped his arms around her, folding his hands over her belly button. Together they watched as the small, plastic flying saucer went speeding down towards the earth, hitting the ground in a fake, fiery explosion, and spewing little plastic alien bodies all over the ground.

Liz felt Max stiffen, and his grip tightened around her, until Liz slid her free hand over his, caressing it comfortingly. She twisted around in his arms, and leaned up to place a soft kiss on his tight jaw.

“It’s okay, Max. I’m here for you.” She whispered softly in his ear.

---

“Isabel, are you okay?” Alex asked softly, as he examined the girl he had his arm around.

“What?” She asked in a daze, turning to stare at him incredulously.

“You just looked really sad all of a sudden. Are you okay? You can talk to me about it if you’re not.”

Isabel averted her eyes from Alex’s, and eyed the burning plastic aliens again. Her ancestors…and everyone was taking pleasure in their death. It just wasn’t right. And then there was Alex. He didn’t know about her, and he treated her so wonderfully. How would he feel if he knew the truth? Would he turn away from her, or be just as amazing? Isabel wanted to say yes, that nothing would change, but her mind screamed the opposite. She should never even pretend to be like him.

“I’m fine…I just…excuse me.” Isabel pushed herself away from Alex and took off running towards the parking lot. She needed to get away from all the eyes…all the people staring. She slumped against the jeep, having no where left to go.

How could she do this to herself? She had always prided herself on never getting involved, never even wanting to get involved. She was strong… And now here she was desperately wanting Alex with her always, and now she even wanted to tell him the truth… She was getting weak…and she was completely torn, as she loved what she was feeling as much as she hated it.

“Iz, are you over here?”

“What do you want Michael?” She sighed…she just wanted to be left alone.

“Just checking on you…are you okay?” He looked at her with this gentle concerned look that he never used on anyone but her…but it didn’t help her want to talk about it any more than she did.

“Yeah…I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” He pushed.

“Yeah…I was just thinking about everything, you know? About us…and how different we are. And about Alex, and how he’s so good to me…and stuff.”

“You’re not thinking about telling him, are you?” He asked quietly.

“No! Don’t be ridiculous.” She responded…a little too quickly.

“Well you never know…look at Max. He desperately wanted to tell Liz from day one. I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long with the secret and all.”

“He hasn’t told her Michael…and I won’t either. There are too many risks. Anyway…it’s just…I look at Alex, and I feel so lucky to have him. I don’t deserve him.”

“Yeah…I know how you feel.”

“Maria?”

“I guess…let’s not go there.”

“It’s okay to feel Michael…as long as we don’t take it too far.”

“Yeah…I know…I just wonder if Max knows that.”

Part 21 | Index | Part 23
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.