FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 33
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
“Max?” Isabel asked softly as she peeked her head into his bedroom. “Can I come in?”

Max was lying on his bed in the dark, all of the windows closing out all of the morning light, facing away from where Isabel stood at the door. He was completely motionless, and Isabel wasn’t even sure if he was awake at all. She waited patiently for his response, and was relieved to hear a soft.

“Yeah…come on in.”

Max rolled over, and sat up to face her, and Isabel was shocked at his appearance. He looked completely disheveled, with his hair completely messed, and his eyes puffy and red. He wiped his face wearily, and looked up at his sister expectantly.

Isabel slowly made her way over to him, and sat beside him on the bed. She was silent for a moment. She had come in to see him with this whole plan on what to say to him…but now she couldn’t seem to find the words she was looking for.

She hadn’t seen her brother for the past two days, not since Liz’s grandmother had gone into the hospital. Not once in that time had he come home, called and talked to her…anything. It was as if he had put his entire life on hold to support Liz and her family. It blew her away…like for the first time she was truly seeing the depth of the love her brother felt for the girl who had completely taken control of his entire world.

“Max…how are you doing?” Isabel finally asked. “Are you okay?”

Max ran a hand through his hair, and tried to collect his own thoughts…he felt like he had just woken up from a horrible nightmare. The last few days had been so rough…with Liz and Grandma Claudia. He just wished he could blink and make it all go away…but unfortunately that wasn’t one of his powers.

He had come home late last night…crawled right into bed, and crashed. He was completely exhausted, both physically and mentally.

But through it all…he felt a huge weight being lifted from his soul. Grandma Claudia’s death had been a huge loss…but it was for the best. It was her time. He knew that she was ready.

He couldn’t help but wish that he had more time with her before she went. He felt like she knew him so intimately, but he didn’t know her at all. There were so many questions he wanted to ask her, but would never get the opportunity.

“Yeah…I’m okay.” Max finally decided. He had Liz…he had been able to be there for her and support her the past few days, and that meant the world to him. As long as they were together, they could handle anything, regardless of how difficult or how tragic it was.

Isabel nodded. “I’m glad. I’ve been really worried the past few days…we haven’t talked to you or seen you at all.”

“I know…I told mom. I was at the hospital with Liz.”

“Did her…” Isabel asked uncertainly, her voice trailing off, unable to ask the question.

“Yeah…her grandma died last night.” Max confirmed softly, the loss displayed openly in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry.”

Max nodded. “It’s okay…it was her time.”

“Max…” Isabel started slowly. “I just want you to know that I think it’s really great the way you supported Liz the past few days. She really needed you…and you didn’t even hesitate…you were just there for her. I guess the thing is…I never really realized how much you love her until now…you wouldn’t do that for just anyone.”

“Liz isn’t just anyone.” Max insisted, making eye contact with his sister for the first time during their conversation. “She’s my everything. I need her…Iz…I’d do anything for her.”

“I think I see that now, Max. And I just wanted to tell you that I’m really sorry about all of the shit that Michael and I gave you about your relationship with her. I’ll let it go now… I can’t speak for Michael, obviously, but I want you to be happy, Max. And if Liz makes you happy…then you deserve to make the most of that. I mean…she knows everything about us and still loves you…that’s pretty incredible in and of itself. It’s wrong of me to try and take that away from you.”

“Thanks Iz.” Max responded warmly. He slid one arm over his sister’s shoulder and pulled her into a supportive hug. He could hear the underlying message his sister was saying, even if she didn’t mean him to hear it. “You know…there’s someone out there for you too.”

Isabel trembled as she spoke. “I don’t know.” She cried softly. “I hope so…but I’m so scared. You’re lucky, Max. You found your soulmate so easily. It’s not that easy for everyone.”

“Maybe it is.” Max insisted. “The thing is, I’ve been watching Liz for years…dreaming about her…feeling her. I would have been with her a long time ago if I had just listened to my heart…followed where it was pointing. Maybe that person is right in front of you too…only you’re not stopping to listen.”

Isabel’s breath caught in her throat at her brother’s words. “Alex…” She gasped softly. “He asked me out the other day, and it totally took me as surprise. Ever since this summer, we’ve been becoming friends, and I’ve always kind of wished that it could be more…but I’m so scared to let him in, Max. What if he finds out what we are…and he doesn’t love me anymore?”

“Isabel…if he really loves you, it won’t matter. What’s in our blood doesn’t change the people that we are. And I don’t think you need to worry about that with Alex…he’s a really great guy.” Max chuckled. “In fact…he’s the only guy who has asked you out who I haven’t wanted to kill for touching you. I think you should give him a chance.”

Isabel looked up at Max. “I really want to…but I’m so scared.”

“You’re supposed to be scared, Iz. It means that what happens matters to you. I was terrified when I asked Liz out…” Max laughed again to himself. “In fact…she practically had to push me into asking. But you’ve got to take a chance Iz. We’ve spent so much of our lives cutting ourselves off from the rest of the world, not getting involved, and now that we’re letting ourselves care, it’s really, really scary…more than it normally would be. But if we don’t try…then we’re going to be stuck alone and miserable for the rest of our lives.”

A tear slipped down Isabel’s face. “I don’t want to be alone.” Isabel cried openly.

“Then take a chance and let someone in, Iz. I don’t think you’ll regret it.”

Isabel looked up at her brother, and realized that everything he was saying was true. She had seen the affect Liz had on him…and it was incredible. It was like he was finally a complete person. She had never noticed how empty their lives had been, until her brother had taken a chance at love…and suddenly their lives were filled with new possibilities. It took her so long to realize why she reacted so strongly to Liz’s new presence in their lives, but she finally knew. It was jealousy. She wanted what Max had.

“Thank you Max.” Isabel smiled softly at her brother. “I think…I’m going to go call Alex.”

Part 32 | Index | Part 34
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.