FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"All I Want Is You"
Part 8
by Anne M
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB television network or the author, Melinda Metz.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Isaac and Olivia Evans and Michelle Guerin and Joel Reese are mine. Lyrics: The Waiting . . . Unfazed.
I don't think you were intending . . .
when you built your city on the hill,
for it to be a place always in need of
mending. But, brick on brick, I'm building
still . . .

The jeep rolled toward Artesia at a steady pace, as if the occupants were not sitting beside each other in a stony silence. The sky was clear and the night seemed serene. As if nothing catastrophic had occurred. But, it had. There was no way to ever go back now. No matter how much Isaac wanted things to be different and to go back to normal, there was no possible way. Joel deserved an explanation. Isaac risked a glance to his right only to find Joel staring straight ahead, and apparently lost in thought. He hesitated to interrupt . . . What in the hell was he supposed to say anyway? Gee, Joel, you know what? We're aliens. All of us. Yep. Card-carrying, certifiable, extraterrestrial life forms. Yessireee. Damn.

Joel: (quiet) "I have no idea what to even ask you, Isaac, so I'm just gonna wait for you to explain."

Isaac: (taking a deep breath and blowing it out) "Do you remember about 20 years ago there was a lot of stuff in the news about the possibility of an alien race here on earth?"

Joel: (practically exasperated) "Oh hell yes. Sure. Why wouldn't I remember that? I'm seventeen years old, Isaac. What the hell are you talking about?"

Isaac: (stalling) "Don't you read?"

Joel: "History's not my favorite subject."

Isaac: "Neither is Bio. Do you have any?"

Joel: "Yes I do as a matter of fact, but my scholastic aptitude is not what we're here to discuss."

Isaac: (apologetically) "Sorry. I've never tried to explain this to anyone before."

Joel: (sympathetic) "I'd like to say that I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I can't. It is a big deal, isn't it?"

Isaac: (shaking his head) "Huge."

Joel: "Maybe you should just spit it out."

Isaac: (glancing quickly at Joel) "Maybe."

Another minute went by in silence as the tension began to build again . . .

Joel: "How damn bad can it be? It's not like you're aliens, or something."

An even more pronounced silence fell on the interior of the jeep as it moved unhaltingly toward its destination.

Joel: (sitting back in his seat and visibly paling) "Jesus. . . . . . . And, Olivia?"

Isaac: (glancing over once more, but saying nothing . . . there was no need).

Joel: (closing his eyes as his mind tried to grasp this new dimension of reality) "How?"

Isaac: "My Dad was part of the 1947 crash. My mom is human."

Joel: (his mind hanging on to the only thing it could deal with at the moment) "So, humans and aliens are . . . compatible?"

Isaac: (smiling humorlessly) "Yes."

Joel: "How many of you are there?"

Isaac: "My Dad's sister, my Aunt Isabel, is also an alien, and so is Michelle's Dad, Michael. Michelle's Mom, Maria, is human, and Isabel's husband, Alex, is human."

Joel: "So you and Olivia, and Michelle, are . . . . ?"

Isaac: "We're both, but we all have altered blood and skin cells and some ability to manipulate molecular structure."

Joel: "So that's why you didn't want an ambulance."

Isaac: "Yes. It would have been (closing his eyes against the very idea) . . . a disaster."

Joel: (feeling adrenaline race all through his blood stream) "She would have died . . . . Wouldn't she?"

Isaac: (turning a ghastly shade of gray) "Yes. She would have."

Joel: "You know I'd do anything for her, don't you?"

Isaac: (relaxing for the first time since the drive began) "Yeah. I do know it. I knew it back at the fairgrounds . . . thank you."

Joel just stared straight ahead and grappled with everything he had been told tonight.

------------------------------------

But, the moon still shines . . .
The stars seem brighter.
I see you through the haze.
So, I remain unfazed . . .

Max: (on the phone with Michael) "We need to talk."

Michael: (looking at the clock) "Now?"

Max: "Yes."

Michael: "Do you know what time it is?"

Max: (passing a hand over tired eyes) "Yes. Olivia was attacked tonight."

Michael: (stunned into speechlessness) . . . . . . . .

Max: "She's doing better now, but it's not over."

Michael: (finally able to speak) "How?"

Max: "Just come over. I'll explain when you get here."

Michael hung up the phone and reached for his pants in one fluid motion. Maria stirred beside him and asked what was going on.

Michael: "Get dressed, sweetheart. We have to get over to Max and Liz's."

Maria didn't even argue. There were only a handful of times in the past 20 years she had seen her husband this particular shade of pale. One had been when she was delivering Michelle. She got up and got dressed silently and they headed out the door.

--------------------------------

I don't think you were intending,
When you built this house you
call your home . . .
For its walls to be built up to keep
the light in, with a bed as cold as stone.

Liz hung up the phone after having spoken with Alex. She turned to find Max waiting for her, and without a word she slipped into his arms laying her head down against his chest and absorbing the security of being in his embrace. For the first time in 20 years, their lives, these moments together, their children, were being threatened . . . . . Max kissed the top of her head as fear ran it's course through both of their minds. Neither one wanted to face what they both knew was coming . . .

Isabel and Alex rode quietly together through the deserted streets of a town that had closed up long ago. The street lights were the only source of imaginary life. Isabel wore an expression of profound worry as they headed towards the answer to why they had been drug out of bed in the middle of the night . . . and why their niece had almost died tonight . . . Isabel's mind still reeled at the prospect of having almost lost Olivia without even having been aware there was a danger. It galled her to know that it could've happened, and she might've been finding out the next day with no warning at all. As it was, there was still an opportunity to right this particular wrong and she intended to see that justice was done. Alex watched her expression with mixed feelings. Someone had dared to harm her precious niece. Isabel would be a formidable force under any circumstances, but now . . .

----------------------------------

The weight of unbelief and,
my eyes are closed,
but my vision never weakens . . .
Still I, see you, I know you'll
never change so . . .
I am not afraid . . .

Michelle watched as Olivia stirred slightly on the sofa. She moved quickly to her side to see if she was all right. Olivia opened her eyes weakly and focused on one of the most precious faces she could've conjured. Her mouth was so dry it was hard to speak.

Olivia: (voice cracking with the strain) "Michelle . . . "

Michelle: (brushing hair away from her face) "Shhhhh, babe. Don't try to talk. You're o.k. now. Everything's gonna be o.k. You're at home. You're safe."

Olivia: (forcing herself to speak the words her mind desperately needed answers to) "Joel?"

Michelle: "He'll be right back. He had to go and get his bike. He's with Isaac. He's safe, too. Don't worry about anything. Just get well. Please. I . . . just get well . . . I love you so much . . . "

Olivia: (smiling weakly) "Love . . . you, . . . too."

Olivia's eyes drifted shut immediately and Michelle sighed deeply as she rocked back on her heels. She closed her eyes and murmured silently to herself for Isaac to hurry home . . . . .

-----------------------------------

But, the moon still shines,
The stars seem brighter . . .
I see you through the haze,
so I remain unfazed . . .

Michelle watched as one by one her parents and then Aunt Isabel and Uncle Alex filed in through the front door. No one said much. They all came to rest in the living room, staring openly at Olivia. Aunt Isabel's face was at first devastated, but a deadly rage seemed to have taken the place of grief almost immediately. Her mom walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her, whispering in her ear that everything would be all right. Those were hard words to believe at this moment, but coming from one's mother, held all the more hope.

Michael stared first at Olivia and then at his own daughter, closing his eyes in guilty relief that it wasn't Michelle lying on that sofa. Opening his eyes once more, he glanced at Maria and then at Max and Liz. They looked torn asunder. Like any parents would look at the prospect of losing a child. Was there any greater torment? Michael crossed the room quickly and pulled Michelle into a gentle embrace, holding her reverently, as if her life was a fragile thing that could so easily be taken away . . .

He kissed her on the forehead and let her go, but not before father and daughter shared a silent communication of all the things that they felt for each other after years of living with and loving each other.

Maria walked over to Liz and held her hand, but not before she noticed the look on Isabel's face. As she held tightly to Liz's fingers, she reached out and grabbed hold of Isabel's hand, too. Isabel was pulled forcefully from her thoughts as she felt the warmth of Maria's fingers seep into her own skin. She turned to look at the woman who had stood beside her and she in turn, for all these years. She gently squeezed the hand that promised so many things with it's presence. Comfort, protection, friendship unto death . . . love . . .

Isabel and Maria and Liz huddled together for a moment, simply because they needed to draw strength from each other as they had done in the past. Michael and Alex and Max watched them, knowing they needed each other now, but that they weren't excluded in any way because of it.

Michelle held Olivia's hand and prayed that one day, her friend would stand with her the same way in times of trouble, and that nothing would ever come between them. Especially nothing as vicious as the attack on Olivia had been tonight . . .

Michael put his hand on Max's shoulder and without reservation pulled him close and hugged him. He couldn't even imagine the terror that his brother had faced tonight. He couldn't even make his mind wrap around the idea . . . It was just too much.

Alex waited patiently, and then he, too, extended his hand to Max and held it for a moment without saying anything. What was there to say? Something awful had happened to all of them tonight. One of their babies had been hurt. It was different now than it had been back then . . . they had so much more to lose . . .

Alex felt Isabel slip her arm around his waist and he turned his head to stare into her incredible eyes. The question was silent but no less heard. Quietly, Alex began to speak.

Alex: "I know this isn't an appropriate time for this, but Isabel and I have something to say to all of you and since we're here . . .

Liz: "What is it, Alex?"

Alex: "Isabel and I are going to have a baby."

Max and Michael looked first stunned and then couldn't help the happy excitement those rose in spite of the circumstances.

Maria squealed just a little.

Maria: (quietly) "Oh my God, Isabel. Congratulations!!"

Liz: (wiping a few more tears away) "That's the best possible news. When are you due?"

Isabel: "About six months, I think."

Max walking up to his twin, pulled her close and hugged her, infusing every unspoken thought into the embrace. Isabel's eyes filled with tears as her heart translated the silent message from her brother. The overall theme was one of overwhelming love.

Michelle left her position by Olivia for the moment and walked up behind her Aunt. Isabel pulled away from Max sensing Michelle's presence behind her and turned to face her niece. Michelle's young face held all the hope and promise of youth, but now there was a knowledge of death in her expression that had never been there before. Michelle had aged overnight. Isabel's heart broke at the sight of the change, but she was wise enough to accept the inevitable. With life, came understanding, with understanding came change into something you hadn't ever been before. This was a new Michelle, but the same loving heart still beat inside. Isabel reached out and enfolded her in a warm embrace. Michelle whispered how much she loved her and how happy she was for her and Uncle Alex. The two separated reluctantly with one last look into the other's eyes, before Michelle went back to her post beside Olivia.

Max: (to the group) "We really need to talk and make some plans. Why don't we sit down in the dining room?"

Everyone began to move towards the dining room, but Michelle stayed where she was beside Olivia.

------------------------------------

The wind whipped around him as Joel flew down the highway back towards Roswell . . . towards Olivia . . . towards everything that had ever mattered to him. He didn't know what he would do when he got back there, but right now, he'd just be grateful if Olivia opened her eyes and knew he was there . . .

----------------------------------------------

Isaac had dropped Joel off in the same parking lot where Olivia had almost lost her life. Both of them had felt the eerie sensation of being back in this place. Joel got out without a word and got on his bike. Isaac put the jeep in gear, and consoled himself with the knowledge that there was nothing more he could do about Joel . . . he would have to make his own decisions . . .

----------------------------------------------

Around the table in the dining room, the six of them sat facing one another. It was reminiscent of a time long past, when they had banded together for safety's sake. It was disconcerting after all these years to be here again.

Max: (to the group) "There was a very deliberate attempt on Olivia's life tonight at the fair in Artesia. If it hadn't been for Michelle and Isaac and Joel, they would've been successful. She lived because they worked together to save her life."

Michael: "Who the hell is Joel?"

Liz: "Joel is Olivia's boyfriend."

Michael: "Boyfriend?!?! Since when? And, why the hell is he involved."

Liz: (quietly) "He helped to save her life knowing absolutely nothing, but going completely on faith . . . "

Michael was subdued by Liz's words as they pierced his heart and reminded him of other events in times past that had required that same level of faith from other humans.

Isabel: "So what is the situation exactly, Max?" (her voice matching her frame of reference . . . deadly military . . . )

Max: (gently) "I think we have to accept that the war here is not finished and that Olivia is a target because she is one of my greatest weaknesses . . . "

Michael: "Of course. She would be the easiest way to destroy you . . . (catching sight of Liz's devastated expression) . . . sorry. I didn't mean that the way it sounded . . . "

Liz: (smiling weakly) "Yes you did. Don't apologize. We've all been here before. This is no time to mince words."

Maria: "Maybe so, but the stakes are certainly a lot higher . . . (grabbing Michael's hand and holding it close to her as she thought of Michelle.)

Alex pulled Isabel close as both of them contemplated the precariousness of the situation with regard to their unborn child. Max glanced at Liz and hated that brave look on her face that meant they were, yet again, in trouble. She was the most amazing woman he had ever met. He would die never knowing how she did it. How she accepted all the things that came with being his wife and the mother of his children. All the things she did with such apparent ease. Totally unacceptable things . . .

The front door opened and closed and the six adults sat in silence waiting for the newcomers to join them. And they waited on . . .

Joel didn't even pause to speak to Michelle or acknowledge Isaac as he made his way to the sofa. The only thing he cared about right now was Olivia. He knelt down beside her and picked up her hand, bringing it to his lips and closing his eyes as her strong, steady pulse communicated the force of her existence to his worried mind.

Michelle stood up and tried to make her feet move across the room toward Isaac, but suddenly she couldn't remember what she was supposed to do to make them move. She stood there with a helpless expression on her face and her hands hanging by her side, waiting for him to span the distance between them and rescue her.

Isaac could have read her mind at that moment. She had held together just long enough for him to return, but now she needed him to be strong for both of them, because her resources were completely used up. She needed someone to lean on . . . to absorb some of this burden for a while . . .

Isaac moved across the room quickly pulling her close and pressing her face into his chest and stroking the back of her head. She was shaking with the effort it took to stay on her feet. He leaned down and picked her up, and Michelle buried her face in his neck and let her battered emotions absorb his presence and draw strength from the comfort of being here . . . being home . . . . .

Michael and Max had left their positions at the table to come and see what was happening in the other room. Michael stared in outright disbelief at Isaac holding Michelle, while Max assessed Joel's presence with a wary eye.

Michael (first looking at his daughter and then his brother/best friend) "What the hell?"

Max: "Don't feel bad. They've been doing a really good job of keeping their feelings hidden for a long time."

Michael: (wrestling between rage that he didn't know and elation that it was Isaac) "You knew?"

Max: (holding up his hands in surrender) "Very little. As you can see, I've been somewhat distracted with my own daughter's love life." (glancing pointedly at Joel and Olivia)

Michael: (grimacing) "Apparently." . . . (shaking his head) "How did this happen, Max?"

Max (placing his hand on the back of his head and ruefully): "I have no idea." . . . . "C'mon. Let's go back in the other room. They'll be along in a minute."

Michael's expression vacillated between horrified shock at such a suggestion and grudging acceptance of the wisdom of such a move. The two men turned and made their way back into the dining room as their children sought to find their own way through this new twist in the road . . .

TBC

Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.