FanFic - Max/Liz
"Change"
Part 10
by Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB Television Network or the Author, Melinda Metz.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: Lyrics - Elton John.
Five weeks later --

Max is on his way to work this morning and contemplating the incredible state of pregnancy. Atleast ,for him, it certainly was incredible. And Liz . . . well, she fairly glowed most of the time. He certainly couldn't speak for anyone else, but as far as he was concerned, the whole idea of pregnancy didn't get enough credit. Liz was six weeks along now, and she still looked exactly the same, except maybe more beautiful somehow. Maybe it was just him. It was a little strange, though. Wasn't she supposed to be sick in the mornings? She never was. Besides a few tears and serious cravings for tabasco sauce, you would never even know she was expecting. Well . . . unless of course you took into account her amazingly frequent interest in making love. She still insisted that it was just normal, but he had to wonder. Wouldn't that be a little too good to be true? Who was he kidding? His whole existence at this point was too good to be true. He pulls up and parks the jeep to go into work. He sees Michael waiting for him on the sidewalk.

Max: "Hey." "What's goin' on?"

Michael: "Nothing. Just thought I'd stop by since I was out here anyway."

Max: "How's Maria?"

Michael: (breaking into a grin) "She's . . . good . . . really, good."

Max: (chuckling) "Yeah . . . it's wild isn't it?"

Michael: (not even pretending to misunderstand) "Sure is . . .a guy could definitely get used to this sort of thing."

Max: "I must admit that it's nice to be able to talk to somebody about this."

Michael: "Has Liz been sick?"

Max: (serious) "No."

Michael: "I thought they were supposed to . . ."

Max: "I know . . . buy maybe not, since . . . you know?"

Michael: "Yeah, maybe." (looking a little pensive)

Max: "Don't worry . . . won't do any good anyway."

Michael: "True." "I just never thought I'd be . . . happy, and I don't want to lose it."

Max: "I know what you mean." "How's the wedding shaping up?"

Michael: (giving Max a pointed look) "Are you kidding? With Isabel in charge? How do you think?"

Max: (grimacing and then laughing) "Well, I better get inside before I'm late."

Michael: "O.k. see 'ya."

Max: "Michael . . ."

Michael: "Yeah?"

Max: "I'm glad you stopped by."

Michael (smiling): "Me, too."

Max walks into the Center and is immediately accosted by Ray.

Ray: (excitedly) "Evans! Glad you're here. The most incredible thing has happened."

Max: (can't imagine): "What?"

Ray: "We have a place reserved at the national conference in LA next week. Isn't that incredible?!?!"

Max: (not sure what to say) "Yeah . . . sure."

Ray: "Well, don't sound so excited."

Max: "I'm sorry . . . I guess I've just got a lot on my mind right now."

Ray (sympathetic): "I know you do, and I really hate to add to your situation, but I really need you to go to LA next week for this conference."

Max: (stunned) "Uh, . . . "

Ray: (hastily) "Don't worry. I'll pay all your expenses . . . everything. Airfare, hotel, meals, whatever you need. Just think . . . it's an amazing opportunity for us, Evans."

Max: (wondering how he's going to survive without Liz for a week) "Of course, I'll go . . . I just hate to leave Liz alone."

Ray: "This is a once in a life-time opportunity . . . she'll be o.k. It's only a week!" (slaps Max on the back and saunters off)

Max stares after him and wonders how he's going to tell Liz that he's going to be gone for a week.

Later That Night --

Max comes home feeling extremely wary of having to tell Liz about his trip next week. He walks in the door and doesn't see her right away. He does, however, hear the water running in the bathroom. He knocks on the door, but doesn't get a response. He walks in, and says, "Don't freak out . . . it's just me."

Liz squeals in startled surprise, even though she knew he was due home and was expecting him. He hears her laughing on the other side of the curtain, and wishes he felt as light hearted as she was right now. He leans against the doorframe.

Max: "I need to talk to you."

Liz: (teasing) "Don't you want to wait until I get out . . . or maybe you should get in."

Max: (smiling ruefully) "You are not going to distract me this time. It's important."

Liz: (peeking just her face around the curtain and taking in his serious expression) "I'll be right out."

Max goes into the kitchen to see what's for dinner, and get something to drink. He sits down at the table and Liz comes out in her robe with her hair still wet and sits down beside him.

Liz: "What's up?"

Max: (smiling but not in the mood to joke) "I have to go out of town next week."

Liz: (sits back in her chair) "Oh . . ."

Max: (hating to tell her this) "I'll be gone a week."

Liz: (feeling strangely peaceful but knowing she should be upset) "I see."

Max: "I'm sorry. I couldn't get out of it. Ray needs me to go to this convention in Los Angeles. It's huge and he's really excited about it."

Liz: (thinking that over) "The national conference . . . I read something about that . . . "

Max: (relieved that she's taking it so well) "Yeah, it's a big opportunity . . . "

Liz: (thoughtful) "Yes, I'm sure it is . . . in more ways than one." (feeling something inside clicking into place)

Max: "What d'ya mean?"

Liz: "I can't think of a better place for you to look for information about where you come from."

Max: "Don't you think it'll just be another corny convention like the one that was here?"

Liz: (focusing) "No. I don't think so, Max. I think that you need to go . . . and look for some answers."

Max: (wondering at his amazing wife) "I really thought you'd be upset about this."

Liz: "Don't think I'm excited about you being gone for a week. I don't even want to think about it, but . . . you can't miss a chance like this. Who knows what you might find out?"

Max: (missing her already) "I'll call you every night."

Liz: (getting up to go get dressed) "You certainly will, if you know what's good for you."

Max: "I know what would be good for me right now . . ." (standing up and pulling her close so he can kiss her)

Liz: (raising an eyebrow) "Aren't you hungry?"

Max: (reaching for the sash on her robe) "Very . . ."

Los Angeles - Convention

Max is thoroughly disgusted. He has been at this damned convention for a week, missing Liz like crazy, and uncovering not one pertinent detail about his origins. Liz had seemed so certain that something would materialize here. The night before he left, she had helped him pack, and told him repeatedly how she thought this was a really good idea. Her words had made it much easier for him to make the trip, and he had a feeling she had known that they would. That's probably why she said them. She knew he had to go, and so she had made it as easy as possible for him, even though he knew, deep down, she was just as miserable as he was. He'd be home tomorrow, and he couldn't wait. His flight left in the morning. He really wished he didn't have to spend another night here . . . alone . . . in his hotel room. He had talked to Liz every night on the phone, and somehow that just made him miss her more.

The conference is for all intents and purposes over at this point, except for some schmoozing, which Max thought was utterly ludicrous. He finishes up fairly early, and on his way out of the building, he makes a decision. Maybe, just maybe, he could get a flight out tonight . . .

Unbeknownst to Max, there had been answers at this conference. Those answers were in the form of an unnoticed bystander, who had spotted him immediately. The observer had come here hoping to find all of them, but one would do. For now . . . How gratifying. Perhaps the one would lead to the others. Time would tell . . . and he had lots of time . . . . . .

Liz is going to bed and wondering why she hasn't heard from Max yet. That was strange! It was the last day of the conference, though. Maybe he had gotten tied up with something unexpected. She tried to console herself with the fact that he would be home tomorrow. She missed him so much that she ached . . . physically and mentally. She had kept herself very busy this week in an effort to keep her mind off him being gone. It hadn't worked and now she was just exhausted. Thank goodness it was just one more night. She was now 8 weeks pregnant, and there were some subtle changes in her body. It was disconcerting, but not unpleasant. The changes made the baby seem much more real to her now. It was difficult to believe that she used to sleep in this bed every night by herself, and now all of a sudden , it was an abberation to her. He'd put a force on her all over again.

Several Hours Later -- About 11 p.m.

Max is driving home from the airport, and for the first time in a week, he's feeling pretty good. He had just barely made it onto a flight out of Los Angeles, and now he was almost home. Home. A silly grin just lit up his face at the thought. He reaches down and turns up the radio.

Ballerina -- You must've seen her . . .
Dancin' in the sand.
Now she's in me, always will be,
tiny dancer in my hand . . .

Max is daydreaming and thinking about how this daydream seemed very real . . .

***************

Max is watching Liz. She doesn't know that he's there. She's oblivious to everything around her except the sound of the music that she's dancing to. Max didn't even know she could dance like this. She was good. Wow.

And, she was so beautiful, that for a second, he couldn't breathe. She turned toward him then, and he lost his breath all over again. It seemed as if she knew he was there now. She stopped dancing and walked over to stand in front of him. Without saying a word, she picked up one of his hands, and pulled him out on the floor with her. What was she up to? He couldn't do that kind of dancing. He just stood there for a moment, and then he realized that she just wanted to slow dance with him. He smiled and pulled her close, as they moved to the music.

And, oh, how it feels so real,
lyin' here with no one near.
Only you, and you can't hear me.
And I say, softly, slowly,
"Hold me closer tiny dancer . . .
count the headlights on the highway.
Lay me down in sheets of linen. You had
a busy day today. "

******************************************

Max comes back to reality abruptly, and wonders how in the world he had managed to stay on the road, and seemingly not miss a beat, while his mind, if not his body, had clearly been elsewhere . . .

Midnight ----

Liz has been sleeping, but it felt odd. She couldn't quite get into a deep sleep. He was close. She just knew it. He would be home soon. Maybe she'd just dance a little while longer . . . She drifts back off into a light sleep.

Half an hour later --

Max opens the front door and walks in, dropping his suitcase by the door. He sets his keys down on the counter and takes off his jacket. It's totally dark in the house, but there was a full moon out tonight, and he could just make out the doorway to the bedroom. He crosses the room and pauses in the doorway for a moment. The moonlight was so bright in here that he could see Liz perfectly. He hoped he didn't scare her to death. He didn't have to worry about that, though, because just then, she sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Max was so startled that he just stood there.

Liz: (holding out her arms to him) "I've been waiting for you."

Max: (coming down to kneel in front of her and letting her pull him close) "How did you know?"

Liz: (memorizing every detail of his face) "I don't know . . . I just did."

Max: "That's . . . a little scary."

Liz: "I know . . ."

Max lifts his hands to the top buttons on her nightgown. Liz's heart leaps in her chest as she realizes what he's going to do. He unbuttons all the buttons and pushes the material aside. A week had made a tremendous difference. He noticed the deeper color in her nipples and the fullness in her breasts.

Max: "Are you sore?"

Liz (trying to chuckle but not quite making it): "Now I know what you've been doing at night."

Max: (still studying her body) "I found a very informative book on pregnancy in the hotel gift shop."

Liz: (straining under his gaze) "Really?"

Max: (grinning) "Yeah. I had to have something to do."

Liz: (serious again) "I missed you so much."

Max leans up and puts one hand behind her head, kissing her deeply. His other hand cups her breast, and Liz shudders at the sensitivity of her flesh. Without concious thought, she presses his hand against her harder. He leaves a trail of kisses down her neck on his way to other breast. He draws her deeply into his mouth, and Liz almost jumps off the bed. She grabs his head and holds him closer to her. He rakes his teeth across her nipple and sucks harder. Liz's toes curl in to the rug and her head falls back. Max drops one hand to her back to support her, and switches to her other breast with his mouth. Liz feels like she's going to explode. She's so close to the edge that she doesn't even try to slow down. Her body had a mind of it's own these days . . . Max's mouth was so hot, and felt so good. He increases the pressure of his mouth on her, and she is lost. The contractions start deep in her body and seem to emanate throughout her entire being. Her head falls forward onto Max's shoulder, and she struggles to come back from the assault on her senses.

Max: (amazed at her response) "I didn't think this could get any better."

Liz lifts her head up and stares at his face, and then reaches for the fastening on his pants. Max restrains himself, barely, just long enough to let her get the pants undone. He stands up and pushes her back on the bed, reaching for the hem of the gown and pulling it up. He comes down on top of her, pushing her legs apart. Liz is frantically shoving his pants and boxers down his hips, and then finally . . . he's in her hands.

Max clenches his jaw at the feel of her hands on him, and tries to concentrate. Her hands were so soft and warm. She guides him to the entrance of her body and releases him. He closes his mouth over hers and pushes inside her at the same time. A week was much too long to be away from her . . .

Max finds Liz's hands and brings them up on either side of her head, lacing his fingers through hers, and sliding slowly in and out of her body. Now that he was inside her, he suddenly wanted to slow down and just let his heart accept that he really was finally home. Feeling so relieved, he opens his eyes and finds Liz's already open and searching his face. She wasn't in any hurry now either. This was too precious to rush. As she looks into his eyes, she suddenly sees them dancing together and she can hear the music playing. Max can see it, too, and his mind reels.

Max: (moving a little deeper into her this time) "Anymore nightmares?"

Liz: (breathless) "No."

Max: (moving a little faster now) "What about dreams?"

Liz: (feeling the tension building) "Only of you."

Max: (the return of urgency was very swift indeed) "Maybe . . . we'll talk about this . . . later . . ."

Liz: (moving with him and very close now) "Oh God . . . Max . . ."

In the next moment, they both let go and give into their bodies. Liz draws her feet up on either side of his hips and digs her heels into the mattress. She pushes up, as he slides deeply into her one last time. Liz can feel each and every pulse of Max's climax. She bites her lip to keep from screaming as her own release tears through her body. Max sighs deeply and groans, as he feels the contractions inside Liz's body.

Max: (raining kisses over her face) "I love you, Liz."

Liz: "I love you, too." (quiet for a moment) "Max?"

Max: "Yeah?"

Liz: "I dance to that song every morning when I meditate . . . "

Max: (feeling connected to her in ways that defied any sort of description) "I loved watching you dance . . . "

Liz: "How do you think it happened?"

Max: "I don't know . . .

Liz: "I wonder if it has something to do with the baby . . ."

Max: (giving in to exhaustion) "Could be . . ."

Liz: "Good night, Max."

Max: (muffled) "Good night, Liz."

Liz lays on her side and looks at Max's sleeping face, and is overwhelmed at how much and how well he loved her. He had pushed himself to the point of exhaustion, just so he could be here tonight with her. To whatever divine power that had brought this phenomenon of Max Evans into her life, she was profoundly grateful. Just as sleep is beckoning to her, she hears the music start again . . .

Pretty eyes,
Pirate's smile . . .
You marry a music man . . .

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.