FanFic - Max/Liz
"Change"
Part 13
by Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB Television Network or the Author, Melinda Metz.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
BREAKFAST --

Max and Liz finally emerge from the bedroom to find everyone else already up, which leaves them open to a lot of good natured teasing regarding their obvious fixation with each other. Everyone is cheerfully going about their business in the kitchen. The events of last night are far in the background. They all just want to enjoy this day and remember it for a lifetime. Liz is sneaking peeks at Max constantly, and the smile on her face seems permanently attached. Try as she might, she just can't stop thinking about him and that whole bath scene with their daughter. They are all discussing what needs to be done before the big event.

Isabel: "Max, you and I will have to get started right after breakfast. Is that o.k.?"

Max: (laughing) "As if it would matter!" "Yeah, it's o.k."

Isabel: "Well, you certainly seem a lot better off than you were last night."

Max (blushing): "Where did you say we need to go this morning?"

Isabel: (laughing) "I didn't say, but I get the picture."

Liz is smiling serenely through this entire interchange. The phone rings, and Isabel goes to answer it, since Maria is up to her elbows in breakfast preparations, and so is MIchael.

Isabel: "Uh, . . . Guerin Residence, Isabel speaking." (grinning at Maria and Michael)

Jim Valenti: "Hi, Isabel, could I speak to Maria, please?"

Isabel (frowning): "Sure . . . just a minute." Putting the phone down on the counter, she says to Maria, "It's for you." "It's Sheriff Valenti."

Maria frowns, too, and goes to answer the phone.

Maria: "This is Maria."

Jim Valenti: "Hi, Maria. Listen, I know this is last minute, but something's been on my mind for a week now, and I was hoping I could talk to you for a minute. I know you're really busy today, but I won't take up much of your time."

Maria: (frown deepening and Michael scowling): "O.k. "

Jim Valenti: "I know that we haven't had a close relationship, but I adored your Mom, you know that, don't you?"

Maria: "Well, I, uh, didn't know that, but, thank you." (terribly confused at this point)

Jim Valenti: "Well, this is the thing, . . . Maria, I'd really like to walk you down the aisle this evening, if you'd allow me to."

Maria (stunned and Michael glowering): "Wow . . . I don't know what . . . "

Jim Valenti: "I understand if you've already asked someone else, but if not, I really wish you'd think about letting me have the honor."

Maria (recovering from the shock and shooing Michael away from the phone): "You know what? I think that would be fine. Thank you for offering. I think Mom would really like that. And Sheriff?"

Jim Valenti: "Yes?"

Maria: "Why don't you ask Kyle to come to, if he wants to that is?"

Jim Valenti (smiling): "I'm sure he would love to. Thank you, Maria."

Maria: "No problem. See you at the church."

Jim Valenti: "See you then."

Maria hangs up the phone and faces five pairs of extremely agitated eyes. She holds her hands up and says, "Relax." "It was no big deal." Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Maria: "He wants to walk me down the aisle."

Michael opens his mouth to speak but finds he has no voice.

Liz and Max and Isabel and Alex: (in unison) "What?!?!"

Maria: "Yeah . . . he said, he'd like to do it, and that he thought my Mom would have liked it. I think maybe he's right." (looking around the room for some support)

Liz is the first to recover from the shock, and says, "If that's what you want, Maria, . . . "

Michael (finally finding his voice and glad he didn't have one earlier): "If you think your Mom would've wanted it, then it's o.k. by me."

Maria smiles at him and then at everyone. She was the happiest girl alive, today. Well, except maybe for LIz, who wandered around on a cloud of perpetual bliss. It seemed that everyone had a job to do today. Liz's parents were doing the catering for the reception. They had had a really hard time at first with the news of another teenage pregnancy and wedding, but when faced with the facts, what else could they do? One had to wonder if they weren't really suspicious that something strange was going on. After all, Liz and Maria both turning up pregnant at exactly the same time was a bit much. Maybe they attributed it to the death of Maria's Mom. Who knows? They didn't ask, and that was just fine with all parties involved. Max's parents had helped, too. Mr. Evans, had helped Maria become an emancipated minor just like Michael already was. He wasn't happy about it, but when they told him that they were getting married and having a baby, he couldn't find a better solution, so he helped them. He had also taken care of the legal end of their marriage license. All that was left now, was the meeting with the Guidance Counselor at the high school next week. Michael and Maria were both going in to find out what their options were. Last week, Mr. Parker had offered Michael a full-time job at the Crashdown. That would get them by for a while, and they could work together. Sometimes, Maria would get so scared about their future, that she'd have to stop and take deep breaths, just to overcome the fear. Most of the time, though, she just felt this joy inside that she never imagined was even possible. Well, she and Liz were off to the salon for pretty much the day until time to get dressed. Isabel said she would meet them there later.

-------------------------------------------------------

Max: "Is, I don't know what you needed me along for this morning. You have everything under control."

Isabel: "So sue me. I wanted to spend some time with you." (smiling)

Max: (smiling back at her) "Yeah . . . it's been kinda crazy."

Isabel: "Yes, it has. I miss you. How are you doing?"

Max: (looking at her) "I'm good. Really good."

Isabel: "You didn't look so good last night."

Max: "Last night was the most fear I've ever felt in my life. Give a guy a break."

Isabel: "O.k. I guess. It's hard sometimes for me to understand how you feel about Liz. I see it, but it's hard to grasp."

Max: (sympathetic): "I know. I can't even begin to explain it myself, so how could you possibly understand it."

Isabel: (frowning) "I want that, too, Max.."

Max: (chuckling) "Uh, Is, I don't think Mom and Dad can survive another round at this point."

Isabel: (smiling) "No . . . probably not."

Max: "Um . . . are you . . . in love with Alex?"

Isabel: "Yes . . . I think I am, and it's hard not to rush when I see you so happy, and think that maybe I could be, too."

Max: "Are you, by any chance, trying to tell me that you've decided to . . . (blushing) uh, . . . "

Isabel: "Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying."

Max: (struggling with his emotions) "I can't believe that I'm having this conversation with you. I think it must go against some sort of brother/sister code. . . . The thing is, I wish that you would never do this, but I know that's not realistic. If it has to happen, I can't think of a better guy than Alex. Just don't tell Michael. I don't think he would be nearly as open-minded about this as I am."

Isabel: (picturing Michael in a towering rage because she had dared to have . . . gasp, sex) "Definitely not going to tell him." "You know, I think he's much more protective of me than even you, not that you don't do your annoying best, he's just not at all reasonable about it."

Max: (perplexed) "Actually, I have no idea why I'm being so reasonable about it."

Isabel: "Thanks."

Max: "Don't thank me yet . . . there's still time for me to come to my senses and forbid you to ever leave the house again."

Isabel: (rolling her eyes) "As if . . . "

Max: (really embarassed now) "Look, I don't know how to say this, but . . . (taking a deep breath and forging ahead) go with condoms. We didn't try that. Maybe it will work . . ."

Isabel (blushing): "Wow. Okey Dokey. Thank you for that sage advice, but on that note, I think we better go. I'm not sure either one of us can stand much more of this. "

Max: (breathing a sigh of relief) "Yeah . . . let's go."

AT THE CHURCH -------------

Reverend: "Who gives this woman to be joined to this man in holy matrimony?"

Jim Valenti: "I do." (kisses Maria on the cheek through the veil and goes to sit back down)

Michael and Maria are both fighting their emotions all the way through the service, which was brief, but not enough for them to get through it without a few tears. They both heard the song Michael had played for her last night in their imaginations, as he lifted up her veil and kissed her for the first time as his wife. She had never looked more beautiful. They had exchanged rings of white gold, but Michael had surprised Maria, with an engagement ring. It was also white gold, but had a large heart shaped ruby in the center. It was breathtaking, and Maria had dreamed of that very ring in every detail since she had heard her very first fairytale. It was so unusual that there could be no mistake. Somehow Michael had known about the ring and never told her. They left the church amid a shower of rice, and headed to the reception.

------------------------------------------------------------

Michael and Maria are dancing the first dance of the evening to their song, and are oblivious to everything and everyone around them. Maria pulls back a little so she can see Michael's face and says, "So . . . I never got to thank you for my ring."

Michael stares at her and wonders for the millionth time today what he ever did to deserve her, and says, "Yes you did. You married me. That's thanks enough." Maria smiles at him, and says, "It's exactly right, you know. In every detail, it's exactly like my fantasy." Michael smiles down at her and pulls her closer again.

Max has finally tracked down Liz and pulled her off into a quiet corner. He has barely seen her all day. Except, of course, for during the ceremony, and then he couldn't talk to her or more importantly touch her.

Max: (pulling her into a hug) "How are you doing?"

Liz: (smiling and breathing deeply with her nose pressed into his chest) "I'm really good."

Max: "It went well, huh?"

Liz: "Isabel is a genius." "Maybe she should start a business . . ."

Max: "Speaking of Isabel, I had the most . . . disturbing conversation with her this morning."

Liz: "What about?"

Max: (blushing just thinking about it) "I don't think I could even begin . . . "

Liz: "Wow . . . must've been something else." (thinking how adorable he looked when he was embarassed)

Max: (pulling back to look at her) "Are you sorry we didn't do this?"

Liz: (touching his cheek) "You know that I'm not. I didn't miss a thing and I wouldn't change any of it. It felt like I married you all over again today."

Max: "I know what you mean . . . I felt that way, too. I wanted to touch you. I've been wanting to touch you for hours."

Liz: "I love you, Max."

Max: (smiling down into her beautiful face and feeling desperate to hold her a while longer) "Didn't you promise me a dance?"

Liz: "Just one?" (flirting)

Max: "Well . . . I might let you dance with your Dad." (dead serious)

Liz: (smiling) "How . . . possessive of you." (teasing)

Max: "Hey, after last night, I'm entitled."

Liz (laughing): "It's just as well. I want you all to myself."

Max (swallowing hard): "I think we better go dance, before I forget where we are."

They step out onto the dance floor, followed by several other couples, and as the words to the song start, Liz relaxes into Max's embrace and thinks about how they couldn't be more perfect for today.

Lying here with you, listening to the rain.
Smiling just to see the smile upon your face.
These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive.
These are the moments I'll remember all my life.
I found all I've waited for, and I could not ask for more.

Liz presses in closer to Max and inhales deeply. With a grin, she wonders why she's so attached to the way he smells. She presses a few light kisses into his neck and rests her head back on his chest. Max is finally starting to overcome the tension that had been building in him all day. He had needed to touch her. Not wanted to . . . needed to. He closed his eyes and concentrated on the dance. Now that she was in his arms, he felt so much better.

Looking in your eyes, seeing all I need,
Everything you are is everything to me.
These are the moments I know heaven must exist.
These are the moments I know all I need is this.
I have all I've waited for, and I could not ask for more.
I could not ask for more than this time together.
I could not ask for more than this time with you.
Every prayer has been answered.
Every dream I have's come true.
And right here in this moment is right where I'm meant to be.
Here with you here with me.

Max's parents are on the dance floor, too, and they've been watching Max and Liz and feeling very grateful that they are so happy together. It's as if, they really weren't sure about them until tonight, but seeing them here on the dance floor, and so obviously in love, was all the reassurance they needed. Nancy and Jeff Parker have also taken a time out for a quick dance together, and they, too, have noticed their kids.

Jeff whispers to Nancy, "Reminds me of something . . . ?" Nancy smiles at him, silently thanking him for letting her know that he was still in love with her. Nancy says to Jeff, "Do you think we'll have to get a fire extinguisher before they get off the dance floor?" Jeff laughs, and says, "I don't think that will be necessary." Nancy smiles again and relaxes into the dance once more. A few minutes later, he's not so sure that some sort of intervention shouldn't be investigated.

These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive.
These are the moments I'll remember all my life.
I've got all I've waited for and I could not ask for more.
I could not ask for more than this time together.
I could not ask for more than this time with you.
Every prayer has been answered.
Every dream has come true.
Right here in this moment is right where I'm meant to be.
Here with you here with me.
I could not ask for more than the love you give me,
'cause it's all I've waited for, and
I could not ask for more. --Edwin McCain

The song ends, but Max and Liz keep right on dancing, completely lost to what's going on around them. A few minutes later, Maria and Michael begin dancing with Jeff Parker and Diane Evans, respectively. For now, they had to share each other with their friends. Maria can't help grinning at Max and Liz. She knew that she would be in the very same boat, if this wasn't her wedding, and she didn't have guests to attend to.

Isabel is standing by the punch bowl and keeping an eye on all her hard work. She, too, has noticed Max and Liz, and is thinking it was time to get them off the dance floor before they did something really embarassing. Just then, Kyle walked up to her, and said, "Looks like we have work to do." (glancing pointedly at Max and Liz) Isabel rolls her eyes and smiles, and they head out onto the dance floor. Kyle taps Max on the shoulder, and is the recipient of a truly intense frown. Isabel steps up, and says, "You two need a breather . . . and even if you don't . . . have a little pity on the rest of us!" Max smiles ruefully at Liz, and lets Isabel pull him into a dance. He thought he would be completely unable to watch Liz dance with any other guys tonight, especially Kyle Valenti, but he could still feel the connection between them and he knew he had absolutely nothing to worry about.

Kyle: "Liz, you look . . . " (can't find the right word)

Liz: (looking up at him and smiling) "It's o.k. Kyle, I know what you mean."

Kyle: (shaking his head) "I never was very good at that sort of thing."

Liz: "True, but you have other . . . redeeming qualities."

Kyle: "Like what?"

Liz: "You have to ask?" "Who are you?" "The Kyle Valenti I know has never had an insecure day in his life."

Kyle: "You'd be surprised."

Liz: (sensing he's really hurting underneath the teasing) "I'm sorry, Kyle. Anything I can do?"

Kyle: (smiling a little) "I don't know . . . divorce Max Evans?"

Liz: (smile slipping a bit): "Kyle . . .?"

Kyle: "Kidding. Wouldn't do any good anyway. Married or divorced, you've been in love with him forever.

Liz: "True." . . . "Kyle, you'll find someone."

Kyle: "I know . . . it's just that you're a tough act to follow, Liz."

Liz: "Thank you for saying that, but . . ."

Kyle: "I mean it, Liz. I just want you to know that I hope you will be very happy, and I'm glad that we can still be friends."

Liz: "Of course, we're friends, Kyle. Always."

They finish the dance in silence, but Liz is overwhelmed with sadness for Kyle. Oh well, she thinks to herself, must be more hormonal girations. She wanted to dance with Max again. No, she needed to dance with Max again. Wow. Her hormones really were in overdrive tonight. The dance finally ends, and Liz breathes a sigh of relief and walks back over to where Max is standing. Reaching out, she takes hold of his jacket and pulls him close for a quick kiss. Before he can pull away, she whispers to him, "Hold my hand, Max." He looks at her, but doesn't question the request. He, himself, feels much better as long as he's touching her, and he could feel from her that she needed it, too. This was weird, but not altogether unpleasant. Could be awfully inconvenient if it lasted for the rest of the pregnancy, though. River Dog and Eddie approach them to say "goodbye," after having already said the same to Michael and Maria. Michael couldn't have been happier to see him there. It made him feel almost as if he had had a sort of father at his wedding. Mr. Evans had been wonderful to him, but River Dog knew who and what he was, and that made all the difference to Michael.

River Dog (to Max and Liz): "All is well?"

Liz (blushing): "Yes . . . I just can't seem to let him out of my sight, or rather my touch."

River Dog: (to Max) "You feel it, too?"

Max: (concerned) "Yeah. I do."

River Dog: "Then, I think it would be best that you not be separated tonight." "Make sure of it."

Max: "Couldn't we be overreacting?"

River Dog: "If it were just one of you, probably, but not both of you." "I must be on my way, but I'll see you tomorrow."

Liz: "See you tomorrow."

Eddie: "Maybe the baby just needs you two to be touching right now . . . who knows? Don't worry. There are worse things. (teasing)

Liz: "You're right." "Thanks for coming Eddie."

Eddie: (smiling affectionately at her) "Good night, Liz. Max."

Liz and Max (together): "Good night, Eddie." Eddie shakes his head at them and the way they spoke together. It was like talking to one person.

Liz (to Max): "Well, I guess we're stuck with each other."

Max: (smiling) "Rather be stuck "to" each other, but I guess that will have to wait."

Liz: "I can't believe you said that." (laughing)

Max: (shaking his head) "Neither can I." "I think I'm losing my mind."

Liz: "Nope. I happen to know for a fact that you are completely sane."

Max: "Don't be so sure . . . another couple of those visions of yours and I'm pretty sure there won't be much left of my brain."

Liz: (laughing again at the memory of Max and the whole bath scene thing) "Do they really bother you that much?"

Max: "You mean apart from scaring me to death?"

Liz: "Yeah . . . besides that . . . "

Max: "Oh . . . well . . . yeah, besides that I guess they're o.k."

Liz: (still chuckling) "You were so wet . . . "

Max: (looking disgusted) "You are enjoying this just a little bit too much."

Liz: "I can't help it . . . it was so . . . adorable."

Max: (pulling her into another embrace) "As long as you think so, that's all I care about."

Maria tosses her bouquet, and, of course, Isabel catches it. Unfortunately, this turn of events does not make her happy. It seems to only emphasize what she thinks is missing in her life. Michael threw Maria's garter over his shoulder, and Kyle, caught it. All American athlete that he is, no one was surprised by this, except, maybe for Kyle.

He stared at the garter and wondered if there would actually ever be anyone he would want to marry. Right now, he'd settle for falling in love. Hell, right now he'd settle for getting over Liz Parker. He and Isabel have their picture taken together, and share a commiseratory smile with one another, before going their separate ways. Alex is waiting for Isabel, and frowns in concern as he watches her approach.

Alex: "What's wrong, Isabel?"

Isabel: (brightly) "Nothing." "Let's dance."

Alex: (perplexed) "Ooo.k. Dancing it is." They settle into the dance, and Alex decides to try again.

Alex: (pulling back to look into her eyes) "I really think you should tell me what's bothering you."

Isabel: (last ditch effort to avoid this conversation) "Nothing. What d'ya mean?"

Alex: (intent) "Isabel, I know something is wrong. Now, you can tell me, or I'm just going to stand right here until you do."

Isabel: (trying to decide if he's serious or not and coming to the conclusion that he is) "O.k. But, don't you dare laugh at me."

Alex (frowning): "You know I wouldn't."

Isabel: "I know. I just feel so stupid."

Alex: "About what?"

Isabel: "I guess watching Max and Liz and Michael and Maria has just stirred something up in me. I feel restless. Like something's missing." (blushing)

Alex: "I can't believe you thought I would laugh at this."

Isabel (grateful for his understanding): "Thank you, Alex."

Alex: (kissing her lightly) "No problem. Feel better?"

Isabel: "Not really, but thank you for listening."

Alex: "I can do more than listen . . . "

Isabel: "Alex?" "What are you saying?"

Alex: (blushing now himself) "I'm saying that I want to make love to you."

Isabel (fumbling through a myriad of emotions): "But, you know what they said about birth control . . ."

Alex: "I know. I'm willing to risk it. I'm not trying to push you. Only if you want to."

Isabel (smiling and feeling peaceful for the first time in days): "I think I do, Alex, but . . . why would you take a chance like this?"

Alex: (staring intently into her eyes) "Because I'm in love with you."

Isabel: "I love you, too, Alex."

Alex: (smiling down at her) "Feel better now?"

Isabel: (smiling, too) "Yeah, I do."

Kyle walks outside in search of some fresh air. The atmosphere inside was a little too "happy," as far as he was concerned. It was damned depressing to be surrounded by all this wedded bliss. He unconciously walks over to his car and then realizes that he must want to go home pretty badly. He couldn't go yet, though. He'd wait until Michael and Maria left and then he could go home and sulk in peace. He takes a deep breath and stares up at the sky almost as if to question the universe about the sorry state of his love life. It's clear and cold tonight, and very quiet out here, except . . .

What in the world was that sound? He looked around the parking lot, but it was so dark he couldn't see anything at first. He listened again, but heard nothing. Frustrated, he turns to go back in to the reception hall, but then he hears it again. It was faint, but someone was crying quietly.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.