FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Change"
Part 19
by Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB television network or the author Melinda Metz.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Kyle felt as if he had walked at least 100 miles tonight. After leaving Wendy's apartment, he felt so restless he couldn't bear the thought of going home and trying to pretend like everything was normal. It wasn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. And, worse still, he had an awful feeling it never would be again. Wendy's face . . . Pale. Trembling lips. Tear streaks. Huge green eyes filled with pain . . . She was so alone when he met her. Now she was part of something that he could just barely get his mind to accept as reality. On the other hand, whether he wanted to accept it or not, it was real. It had happened, so his acceptance was pretty much moot at this point. He pulled his jacket up closer around his body and walked on . . .

Wendy crawled into bed too numb to even change her clothes. She had just heard from Max and he and Liz had made it home safely. He had called to see if she was o.k. She had lied and told him that she was. There was nothing he could do for her anyway, so why burden him with it. He had more than enough to worry about without her adding to it. She closed her eyes and tried to will herself to go to sleep, but the images in her mind's eye were clear and unforgiving. Kyle walking out after the attack and looking at her like she was a monster; Kyle walking out for the second time that night, looking at her in regret and sympathy and pain; Kyle walking up to her outside the reception hall that first night and stealing her heart . . . . .

------------------------------

Alex smoothed the hair away from Isabel's face as she slept beside him. It had taken a while, but he had finally convinced her to just lie down and rest. She had been asleep in seconds. Tonight had been so hard for her. For that matter, it hadn't been any picnic for him either. One thing was for certain, he loved her, and he'd do whatever it took to keep her safe. She'd swept his heart out of his body with one look and held it in her hands to crush or cherish. It was a very good thing that she loved him, too. He'd have to take her home soon, but right now he just wanted to watch her sleeping and hold on to this moment. If the night had gone differently, they would be lovers by now, but it hadn't and they weren't. He had planned to surprise her tonight. He had taken care of every detail. Funny how life had this penchant for screwing up really good plans. Especially life with aliens. He didn't mind waiting, though. He just wanted to be with her and for her to be happy . . . .

--------------------------------

Max kissed his sleeping wife as he held her in their bed. She had barely come awake long enough to mumble a small protest as he carried her in the house. Max laid awake for a long time listening to her breath, and loving the sound. He brought one of her tiny hands to his lips and kissed the back of her hand feeling the pulse of her blood flowing through her veins just under the skin that reminded him of silk. He placed his hand on her stomach and tried to picture the baby he had seen in the vision they had shared. She had been so beautiful. His daughter. He closed his eyes in anguish at the thought of anyone trying to hurt someone so fragile and so innocent, let alone trying to kill her. And, he had no illusions that the baby would be the only target. Liz would sacrifice herself without hesitation to save their daughter. Why had she had nightmares? Why was Wendy in one of them? These things kept Max awake for a very long time . . .

-----------------------------

Michael watched Maria's face as she slid into sleep. He loved the way her face changed when she finally drifted off. She was always so animated that the change was startling. His wife. And, soon the mother of his child. She was so peaceful now with her eyes closed and her breathing evening out. She laid on her side facing him as he did her. As tired as they had been, they had still made love. Michael smiled at this, because he had suggested that they just get some sleep and Maria wouldn't hear of it. He had to wonder if it wasn't just because she was pregnant, though. Time would tell . . . and he couldn't wait to find out. He couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life finding out everything there was to know about her . . . .

*******************************

He still could not believe that she had fought him . . . for the human?!?! She had turned on him using the very things he had taught her, all to save one of them. What was wrong with them? All of them? Why couldn't they see that the humans were their enemies, and much too insignificant to be linked to their race? His energy was almost completely gone. She had been a formidable opponent. He wouldn't underestimate or discount her again . . .

******************************

Wendy woke up abruptly, rubbing her eyes and trying to bend her body out of the position she had fallen asleep in. Her fingers had curled so tightly into the pillow that they ached as she tried to move them. Her legs and feet felt like dead weight. Her face was sticky from the tears that had dried there. As she tried to focus by blinking, she felt the sandpaper that had replaced her eyelids scrape over tired eyes. What had caused her to wake up? She made herself look around the room, but she couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. She could feel it, though. A presence. Someone was in the apartment. No sound. Not a single one. But someone was there . . . Her heart pounded in her ears and her breath shortened to the point of pain as she rolled off the bed and onto the floor . . . .

------------------------------------

Alex leaned over and gently kissed Isabel awake. He hated to do it, but he had to get her home before her parents sent out the National Guard. She opened her beautiful eyes and smiled at him. He could tell she had not yet remembered what had happened this evening. As he watched her expression change, he knew consciousness had returned bringing with it all the fear she had felt earlier. He kissed her again, willing her to be strong and to know that he would keep her safe no matter what it took. When he pulled back, she whimpered a very small sound, but it was there nonetheless.

Alex: "Soon, Isabel. I promise."

Isabel: (trying to smile at him) "I hope so, Alex. I just . . . need you . . . "

Alex: "I know, sweetheart. I'll take care of everything. You are going to love me when you see what I've got in mind . . . "

Isabel: "I already do love you, Alex." (totally serious)

Alex: (closing his eyes at the affect her words had on him) "I love you, too, Isabel. I have for a very long time."

Isabel: "Couldn't we just . . . "

Alex: (silencing her with a quick kiss) "No, we can't. I want it to be special."

Isabel: "It couldn't be anything else."

Alex: (feeling his control slipping) "You are going to kill me."

Isabel: "Please, Alex. I don't want to wait anymore. I don't care where we make love. You are all I care about."

Alex took a deep breath and said, "goodbye," to all of his plans. They had waited so long already and he just couldn't stand to see her disappointed. Alex groaned and closed his mouth over hers in a kiss that was so intense it took her breath away. Isabel realized that he had made his choice, and she let herself go as passion swept up between them in a rising flood. Tonight, they would finally belong to each other the way she had dreamed about for so long . . . .

-------------------------------

Kyle didn't know what he was doing. He had walked all he could stand to and accomplished absolutely nothing. He finally came to the conclusion that the reason he wasn't accomplishing anything was because he wasn't where he needed to be. Everything that really mattered to him in this whole situation was Wendy. Wendy, who was alone and hurting tonight because of him. He hated himself for having hurt her the way he had. He still felt completely off balance about all that had been revealed to him tonight, but one thing was clear. She was the person he wanted to be with most in the world. Without her, nothing else would ever be worthwhile. Now, here he was, stumbling around inside of her apartment and trying to figure out what he was going to say to her. He placed his hand on the bedroom door and gave it a twist, trying to be quiet. He didn't want to frighten her. He opened the door and realized it was too late to worry about frightening her.

Wendy rose from her position on the floor across the room, which was as far as she gotten in her panicked flight. Her eyes sought out Kyle's as she realized who it was that had entered the apartment. Her hand involuntarily released the baseball bat she had grabbed a hold of on the way to her hiding place. It slid to the floor with a thud.

Wendy: (shocked) "Kyle?"

Kyle: (so guilty that she was surprised to see him, and why shouldn't she be? He was an ass.) "Wendy, I'm sorry."

Wendy: (confused) "You're sorry . . . for what?"

Kyle: "I'm sorry for everything . . . for leaving the way I did tonight . . . for hurting you . . . for being a jerk."

Wendy: (overwhelmed . . . it was just too much, first the pain, then the fear, and now the shock) "Kyle . . . . "

Kyle walked over to her and pulled her into his arms, tucking her head against his shoulder, and holding her as she cried. His heart broke as he listened to her try to get control. She had been through so much in such a short time. He picked her up and walked over to the bed and sat down with her on his lap. Her tears had subsided for the most part, and he just held her quietly and tried to think of what to say to comfort her. He picked up a strand of her hair and watched as it slid through his fingers . . . It looked like white silk in the moonlight. Wendy lifted her head from his shoulder to search his face with eyes filled with uncertainty. He put his hands on either side of her face and kissed her gently. This kiss was so careful and so restrained--all the more powerful for how much control was being exerted over it. Kyle pulled back and looked into her eyes.

Kyle: "Wendy . . . I don't know anything for certain . . . all night walking around and I still don't know anything . . . but, I finally figured out one thing."

Wendy: (eyes filled with compassion) "What?"

Kyle: "I can't walk away from you. No matter what you are or what you aren't. I can't let you go. Who are you?"

Wendy: (simply) "I'm just me, Kyle. Not quite human, not quite alien . . . just me." . . . . . "But, I know you. Somehow, in a strange way, I know you. I recognized you the very first night I met you."

Kyle: "That's impossible."

Wendy: "I know."

Kyle: "But . . . I felt it, too. I can't explain it, but I recognized you, too."

Wendy: (bringing her hand up to his face) "Are you really here?"

Kyle: (chuckling) "I wouldn't take anything for granted, but yeah . . . I think so."

Wendy: "Kyle . . . stay with me?"

Kyle: "I don't think I could do anything else, Wendy."

---------------------------------------

DECEMBER

Liz is graduating tonight from high school. Her parents are throwing a party for her at the Crashdown, since she won't be walking with her class in the usual way. Max and Liz are at home getting ready to leave for the party. Max stares at her in the mirror, watching while she puts a necklace around her neck. She's 4 months pregnant now, and she looks absolutely beautiful. She's still so tiny, except for the roundness in her tummy. He walks up behind her and puts his arms around her resting his hand on her abdomen and kissing her neck. Liz smiles and reaches up her hand to stroke her fingers through his hair. Max rubs his hand across her stomach hoping to feel the now familiar flutter of movement just under her skin. Last week, as they had lain in bed together, Liz had suddenly gasped in surprise as the baby kicked her. Ever since then, Max had been trying to recreate the experience every chance he got. With or without his help, the baby was very active and made it's presence known frequently. Liz hadn't had anymore nightmares since the incident with Wendy and Kyle. She was pleased to note that they were doing well with their relationship and seemed to be very happy together. Delirious in fact. Just like the rest of them. Alex and Isabel were absolutely inseparable. Michael and Maria were experiencing the same marital bliss that she and Max shared. They would all be there tonight. Her life was perfect.

Max: "Have I told you today how much I love you?"

Liz: (laughing) "Yes . . . "

Max: (dropping small kisses along her shoulder) "Have I told you today how proud I am of you?"

Liz: (still laughing) "Yes . . ."

Max: (looking at her in the mirror) "I have?"

Liz: (meeting his eyes in the mirror) "Every time I look at you, you tell me."

Max: (smiling) "How are you feeling?"

Liz: "I feel wonderful."

Max: (grinning) "Just checking."

Liz: "I think we should go . . . "

Max: "Are you sure? We have a little time . . . "

Liz: (trying to look stern) "No. We. Do. Not. Don't you start Max. You know I'll forget all about this party tonight if you do, and my parents will be crushed . . ."

Max: (theatrical sigh) "Oh, alright. I suppose we should go then, because I don't think I can behave if we don't."

Liz: (feigning relief) "Well then, let's go quick before both of us succumb to my insatiable cravings for you . . ."

Max: (groaning) "I really wish you wouldn't say things like that when we're not going straight to bed."

Liz: "Well, there's always the side of the road . . . . "

Max: "You do this on purpose, Liz. We are not spending anymore time parked on the side of the road like horny teenagers."

Liz: (simply) "We are horny teenagers."

Max: (trying not to laugh) "I know, but we are also about to be parents. I really don't want an arrest record on file for our daughter to discover one day."

Liz: "You're right, of course, but does this mean we won't ever . . . "

Max: "Liz!" (getting more frustrated by the second)

Liz: (laughing out loud and swiping a few happy tears off her face) "O.k. O.k. I'll stop." . . . . . "I love you, Max."

Max: (regaining his composure) "I love you, too, Liz, and later we will finish this discussion . . . . "

------------------------------------------

Liz smiled at Max as he opened the door for her to walk in to the Crashdown. She couldn't remember having ever felt so good in her life. She was finished . . . FINISHED with high school. Now she could spend more time preparing for the baby's arrival, which was really where her heart was anyway these days. As predicted, everyone was there. Her parents, Max's parents, Michael and Maria, Alex and Isabel, and Kyle and Wendy. River Dog had come by their home earlier that day to congratulate her on her diploma and to offer her more responsibilities on the reservation if she wanted them. She was thrilled. The most incredible part of his visit, though, was when he revealed that her new job description came with a bigger house to live in. After he had gone, she had looked at Max and squealed in delight as he picked her up and twirled her around in a quick circle. She would miss her little house, but now she would be able to have a nursery for the baby. Liz glided up to her parents, greeting them each with a kiss. Max watched her and wondered how it could have been possible for her to become more beautiful, but she had. Michael had a similar expression on his face as he watched Maria walk across the room to hug her best friend. Liz threw her arms around Maria, embracing her as best she could considering they were both protruding in the middle.

Liz: (excitedly) "Guess what, Maria!"

Maria: (amused) "What?"

Liz: "We're moving."

Maria (face falling): "You're what?"

Liz: (quickly) "Not away. Just to a new house."

Maria (brightening): "Oh. Wow. That's great! Where?"

Liz: "It's still on the reservation so I'll be able to keep up with my new job."

Maria: "New job . . . new house . . . anything else I should know?" (teasing)

Liz: (chuckling) "Not that I can think of . . . but, oh yeah, I want you to come out as soon as possible and look at it so you can help me with the nursery."

Maria: (eyes twinkling in anticipation) "Sounds fun!"

Isabel and Wendy joined them then, and the four women chatted merrily with one another for a while before the guys interrupted.

Alex (putting his arm around Isabel) (to Liz): "Congratulations, Liz."

Liz: "Thank you, Alex."

Kyle: "How does it feel to be free?" (wistful)

Liz: (chuckling) "It's great. Don't worry, Kyle. You don't have far to go."

Kyle: "Seems much too long to me . . . (staring at Wendy)."

Liz's parents had approached the group at that point and surprised Liz with a graduation present. It was the best gift she could have ever received from them. They had opened a savings account at a local bank for their grandchild-to-be and started them off in a really spectacular way. In spite of all her best efforts not to, Liz couldn't help the tears that filled her eyes as she opened the gift. She hugged her parents and thanked them for the gift, but more for what it meant to her. She knew her parents would be there for them every step of the way. She could count on their support. Max's parents had also given her a gift. It was equally precious to her. They had given her a gift certificate at the baby store she and Max had visited the day they had met Wendy. Liz was so overwhelmed that she finally gave up trying to staunch the tears that just kept coming. Maria handed her a beautiful handkerchief that she kept close by these days at all times. Finally, there was one more gift to open. Liz had no idea what to expect. It was a very small box and it was from Michael and Maria, and Isabel and Alex, and Wendy and Kyle. Liz looked around the room at each of her friends capturing their faces in her mind and making a memory out of each and every one. She tore the paper off the small box and opened it. Inside she found a beautiful silver locket. It was so stunning that it took her breath away. When she opened it, she found a picture of the 8 of them that had been taken during one of their many get togethers. The other photo slot had a note that said, "for new arrival." The back of the locket had been engraved with all of their initials. Liz bit her lip as her emotions threatened to become very serious indeed. When she felt like she finally could, she looked up at the group and smiled.

Liz: (quietly) "Thank you." "It's beautiful. I wish I could put it on right now."

Max smiled and pulled a beautiful silver chain out of his pocket. He took the locket from her placing it on the chain. Liz watched all of this in amazement. They had all planned this. What had she ever done to deserve to be loved like this? Max released the clasp on the necklace she had put on earlier and dropped it into his pocket, before placing the locket around her neck and fastening it for her. Liz picked up the locket and ran a finger over it lovingly. It was the most precious piece of jewelry she owned, next to her wedding ring. And it was something else, too . . . something more. As she stared at the locket her vision clouded and she swayed. Max caught her long before she fell and carried her over to a nearby chair and sat down with her on his lap. Adrenaline raced through Max's blood as he stared at Liz's unconscious face. He desperately wanted to form a connection with her, but he couldn't with their parents staring at them. Thank God for Maria. She had intercepted Liz's Mom before she became hysterical and assured her that it was nothing more than a fainting spell, probably from all the excitement. Max watched Liz and silently prayed for her to wake up quickly. Her breathing was even and her pulse rate was normal. All he could do was wait . . .

*************************************

Liz looked around and tried to figure out where she was. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she realized that she was inside the cave where she had first met River Dog. She couldn't feel her body, but she was lying flat on her back on the floor of the cave. She looked around and saw Michael holding a distraught Maria, and Kyle with his eyes tightly shut and fists clenched at his sides, Wendy was holding a baby . . . her baby . . . she'd had the baby? As her eyes, continued to move around, she saw Isabel and Alex crouched beside Max who was sitting near her right hand. His face was desolate . . . was something wrong with the baby? She looked back toward Wendy and saw that the baby was fine, but Wendy was pale and tears were pouring down her face. She looked away from Wendy to see someone walking toward them from the other end of the cave. Actually, it was three someones. River Dog and Eddie and someone else . . . Her chest hurt. Burning. The locket around her neck felt as if it were on fire . . . never take it off, never take it off, don't ever take it off . . .

*************************

Liz moved almost imperceptibly, but Max felt it anyway, and leaned down close to her. He heard her say something. He leaned closer, and listened carefully. She said, "I'll never take it off." Her eyes opened and she stared at Max's worried face. She reached up her hand to touch his cheek and tried to smile at him, but it was weak. Max pulled her up gently and placed his lips on her forehead. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, and whispered to her.

Max: "I think maybe we should call it a night."

Liz: (nodding her agreement) "I think so, too."

Max and Liz said their goodnights after reassuring Liz's Mom and Dad that she really was all right. Max wished he felt as convinced as they had tried to make their parents. Liz slept the whole way home after the entire group had walked them out to the jeep. No one was terribly surprised that Liz had zoned out. She did that sometimes, but with the pregnancy it was worrisome to see. One always wondered if it was just a vision or something wrong. They moved together like a team. Each person a separate identity, but more comfortable being part of the whole. Later that night as they were lying in bed, Max asked her what had happened. She hated to even tell him what she had seen. It didn't make sense . . . and it had been disturbing to say the least.

Liz: (looking at him with such a sad expression) "I was . . . no we were, all of us, I mean, we were in the cave. I had the baby I think and everyone was there. It was strange Max. River Dog and Eddie were just walking in with someone else when I woke up."

Max: (worried) "What are you not telling me?"

Liz: (eyes darkening in pain) "Something was wrong, Max. I don't know what it was. The baby seemed fine, but something was wrong . . . "

Max: (closing his eyes and then opening them again) "How do you know?"

Liz: (trying to come up with some way to not tell him) "I . . . um, everyone was so upset, . . . even you . . . "

Max: (determined) "I won't let anything happen to you, Liz. I promise.

Liz: "I know."

Max: "You said something when you woke up. Something about never taking it off. Do you remember?"

Liz: (concentrating) "Yes. It was about my locket. The last thing that happened in the vision was my locket getting really, really hot. I heard someone tell me to never take it off. That was it."

Max knew it had hurt Liz to divulge the details of her vision. They were both afraid of what it might mean. Max put his hand on her stomach and waited for the thump that he knew would soon come. It did, and he smiled in spite of the fear that lingered in the back of his mind. Liz pulled him down so she could kiss him and felt her own fear banished to a far corner as her desire for him overshadowed everything else. Max rolled onto his back and lifted Liz until she was astride him. He pushed up against her, but not inside . . . not yet. The heat from her body enveloped his as he continued to press against her. Liz's head fell back and Max held onto her hips, as he continued to come closer and closer, but not close enough. Liz squirmed atop him in impatience, but Max wasn't willing to rush. He reached up and ran his fingers lightly across her breast. Liz bit her lip and brought her head forward once more. Her eyes met his and they burned with the intensity of need. That look would've brought Max to his knees if he hadn't been lying down. He lifted her a little and held her hips in his hands again as he pulled her down and entered her completely and quickly. Max guided her body up and down with his hands and Liz brought herself down heavily on top of him. They made love in a way that was all the more urgent and desperate because of the fear that still made itself felt in their minds. Later, Max pulled Liz against his body and they fell asleep with his hand resting on her stomach. Both of them were acutely aware of the life that they had created together . . . . .

*******************************

He'd watched her for months now, but somehow she had managed to erect an impenetrable barrier around herself. He was frustrated at having to wait, but there was no point in making an attempt on her now. Sooner or later, the child would be born. When it was, he'd destroy them both . . . . . .

*******************************

TBC

Index | Part 20
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.