FanFic - Max/Liz
"Change"
Part 5
by Anne
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
MORNING -

Liz is busy going about her daily routine, but every few minutes or so, she has to calm herself back down from the wild burst of pure joy that keeps interrupting her regularly scheduled programming. How was she really supposed to walk around like this was a normal day? Normal . . . now there's a word that she can probably remove from her vocabulary. Her life was never going to be normal again . . . and she couldn't be happier. She wanted to walk up to the next person she saw, throw her arms around them, and shout at the top of her lungs, "I'm pregnant!" She didn't know how it had happened, and she didn't really care. In between the happy thoughts, there were a few doubts and fears thrown in just for contrast. They only made the joy seem that much more so. Max had left this morning, with a ridiculously pleased expression on his face, but Liz knew that he was a little worried, too. After all, it was no small task to arrange an elopement, figure out how to tell their parents, and try to plan for every possible variable with the pregnancy. They had talked late into the night about getting married, and where they would live and how they would survive financially. They finally decided to talk with River Dog about the possibility of them staying on in Liz's current home, at least until the baby came. Liz would hopefully be finished with high school by the time the baby would be born. She was due to graduate in December, and that was only 5 months. Of course, that was if all went according to human gestation. Max decided to talk with Ray about working full time and finishing his credits by correspondence the same way Liz had. They decided to wait to talk about college a little closer to time and after the baby came. They really had their hands full right now just trying to get through this much. Liz tracked down River Dog first thing this morning and invited him over tonight to talk with them. Liz had a sneaking suspicion that he knew . . . "knew" what they were going to tell him already. He didn't say so, but one could never be sure . . . She was a little apprehensive about his reaction. After all he had done to get her to the point where she could stand on her own, she had gone right back to Roswell and to Max. One could assume that he was going to be very angry, but Liz knew him better than that. He saw things that other people couldn't even begin to comprehend until much farther down the road. She wouldn't be surprised if he had known all along that she and Max would end up together. "She and Max would end up together. " Uh-oh, there it was again-- that feeling of euphoria every time she thought about Max and their baby. Maybe she should just sit down for a minute. There--that was better. Now, where was she? Oh yes, then there was the issue of telling their parents. This was undoubtedly going to be the hardest part. She knew they would just be heartbroken and unable to understand any of it. She couldn't exactly console them with, "Don't you understand how wonderful this is? He's an alien!" Oh sure, wouldn't that be special? Well, she had better get her mind back on her chores, if she was going to get done in time to go home and make dinner. She wanted it to be perfect. She wanted to remember tonight for the rest of her life. She had no idea just how indelibly etched into her mind tonight would be.

EVENING -

Max came in the door with the same silly grin on his face that he had left with that morning, only this time, it was accompanied by flowers. Daisies. Liz loved daisies . . . funny, she didn't remember having ever told Max that. He gave her a sweet kiss and greeted their baby next by placing his hand over her impossibly tiny tummy and whispering "hi" into her bellybutton. How in the world could there be a baby in there he wondered. It didn't seem possible . . . but he knew it was, just the same. He told Liz all that he had accomplished that day toward the things they had talked about last night. Ray agreed to hire him full time, and he made reservations in Vegas for their wedding. He still needed to work out what to do about their being underage, but he had a few days to work on it. The important thing was, they wouldn't need blood tests. He asked her again if she was disappointed about not having a real wedding in a church with all their friends and family, and once again, she told him that she had never wanted that sort of thing anyway. It was true, too. She couldn't think of anything more romantic than driving out to Las Vegas with Max, and knowing the whole way there that they were going to belong to each other for the rest of their lives. He said that he thought they should get together with Michael and Maria and Alex and Isabel on Friday night before they left on Saturday morning to let them know what was going on. He had a pretty good idea that they were going to have company in Vegas. No way would Isabel miss his wedding if she could help it. That meant that Alex would get dragged along. And Maria . . . well, there was no stopping that locomotive once it was in motion, and that meant Michael would be there, too. All in all, not an unhappy picture. He thought that the best thing to do would be to call their parents as soon as they were married and let them know where they were so they wouldn't be worried. Yeah, right! That had to be the worst contradiction in history, because they most definitely would be worried no matter what they did. He could only hope that Liz's father didn't kill him on sight. For that matter, his own father wasn't going to be very happy either. Well, all they could do now was hope for the best. He had to concentrate on taking care of Liz and their baby.

AFTER DINNER

Max and Liz have just finished clearing the dishes and are settling down to talk to their guest. Max grabs Liz's hand and they glance at each other quickly before turning to look at River Dog. Before Max can say anything, he is stunned into silence by the look on the older man's face.

River Dog: "You have been unwise, but love is seldom marked with any sort of wisdom."

Max and Liz just stare at him. Neither one knows what to say to this.

River Dog: "Perhaps I can help you." (sitting back in his seat and staring straight ahead as if he's seeing something that Max and Liz aren't) River Dog closes his eyes and remains quiet for such a long time that Max and Liz begin to worry if he's alright. Eventually, he opens his eyes and the look in them is so intense that Liz catches her breath. She can feel Max tense beside her.

River Dog: "Your child will be born in Spring."

Max and Liz look at each other and wonder how he even knew about the baby.

River Dog: "That is all I can tell you for now. I know you have many questions, but, perhaps the answers will come in time."

Max: "We were hoping that you would allow us to continue living here."

River Dog: "That would be the best course. Liz must stay here now. She cannot risk exposure. People here will overlook inconsistencies in her pregnancy, but if she were to return to the city . . ."

Max: "Does that mean that there will be inconsistencies?"

River Dog: "I cannot say for sure, but I feel that there will be." "She will need to be here for the delivery as well. I will do everything I can for her . . . and the child." He sounded so ominous that for the first time that day, Liz felt her happiness ebb just a bit.

Liz: "You sound concerned for us." "Why?"

River Dog (giving her an incredibly gentle smile): "Liz, there is always risk when bringing forth a new life, even under normal circumstances."

Liz: (a little relieved) "Oh . . . I see."

River Dog: "It gives me a great deal of pleasure to see you have found each other again." "It is meant."

Max: "How do you know these things?"

River Dog (feeling very old and tired): "The same way I could sense the devastation in her soul the night she came to live here." "One so gentle and in so much pain cannot be ignored." "It is a great responsibility that you bear in taking care of one who makes you whole. I hope that you will not ever forget that. As much joy as you can bring to each other, is that much pain you can also cause. You must always guard your hearts and your minds and protect what you have found in one another." Liz and Max try to absorb what he has said. He sees that they need some time alone.

River Dog: "Let me know if there are any unusual occurences in your pregnancy. I will be closeby always until the baby arrives. You must let me know of anything at all that seems odd to you. Thank you for dinner, but I must be going now." He gets up to leave and Liz and Max follow him to the door.

Max: "Thank you for everything you've done to help us. I don't understand it, but . . . thank you."

River Dog: "No thanks is necessary. You already make great progress in your journey here." "Liz, you must keep up your meditation. It will help you when the time comes." (and with that, he was gone . . . like a phantom disappearing into the night)

Max closes the door and looks at Liz.

Liz: "Was that weird?"

Max: "Yeah . . . and what did he mean about my journey here?"

Liz: "And how did he know about the baby . . . I didn't tell him, Max."

Max: "I know." They are quiet for a minute while they try to think about all that has been said.

Liz: "So . . . Spring . . ."

Max: (smiling) "Yeah . . . (pulling her close)

Liz: "You know, I wanted tonight to be memorable . . ."

Max: "And? . . . "

Liz: (smiling up at him) "It was, . . . it is . . ., "

Max: (swinging her up into his arms) "It will be."

NEXT DAY -

Max reminds himself for the fourth time this morning that it was only for this week. He only had to get through the rest of this week, and then he wouldn't have to leave Liz alone at night again. It was a good thing she didn't mind getting married so quickly, because he really didn't think he could stand too much more of this. Leaving her last night had been excruciating. What if she needed help? Atleast, he had the peace of knowing that River Dog was there for her, but still . . .

Liz is at home today working on her diploma, but having a very hard time concentrating. Max had been beside himself last night when he had to leave. He hadn't said a whole lot about it, but Liz could feel the struggle inside him. He was so worried about her. Liz wasn't nearly as concerned about being alone as Max was for her, but she had been doing this a long time now . . . granted, she hadn't been pregnant, but still . . . She is surprised when she hears a knock on her front door and gets up to answer it.

Liz: (opening the door) "Maria! What are you doing here?"

Maria: (smiling but sad at the same time) "I just needed a change of scene."

Liz embraces Maria and then pulls her inside.

Maria: "I hope it's o.k. that I came. I didn't call . . .

Liz: "Hold it right there. You never have to call and you know it! I'm so glad to see you!"

Maria: "Well, I hope you're not busy today, because Michael's working, and I just couldn't force myself to do anything constructive."

Liz: "Well, that makes two of us . . . I can't seem to settle down to any of my class work." "I've been at it all morning and accomplished absolutely nothing."

Maria: "Well, why don't you show me around your life here."

Liz: "Sounds great. Let me change and we'll go." (heads for the bedroom)

Maria: "I like your house . . . it's very . . . you."

Liz: (chuckling) "Thanks . . . I think."

Maria: "Seriously, if I had to pick a place that looked like you lived in it, I can't imagine anything more . . . right." (glancing around)

Liz: "I'm very happy here."

Maria: "I think I begin to see why . . . "

Liz: (coming out of the bedroom) "Ready?"

Maria: "Sure. Lead on."

Arm in Arm the two girls walk together, talking, laughing . . . crying. For Maria, the pain of loss was still so great that she had to constantly fight it back. She wanted to tell Liz about Michael's proposal but, they hadn't actually set a date or decided anything definite. Nonetheless, it was still there . . . just this wonderful, happy place inside her heart where she could escape to when she needed it. Liz can't stop thinking about the weekend and how her life was going to change, how it had already changed. She wants to tell Maria so badly, but she makes herself wait. Liz takes Maria to meet "her little man," and is amazed at how the baby responds to her. Even more incredible is Maria's reaction to him. It was a wonderful thing to see.

Liz: (wistfully) "Maria, you are going to be such a wonderful mother someday."

Maria: (under her breath) "Maybe sooner than you think."

Liz: (instantly suspicious) "What did you say?"

Maria: "Oh . . . nothing . . . ignore me . . . I'm just . . ."

Liz: "Maria DeLuca! You and Michael . . . well, you . . . you did, didn't you?"

Maria: (blushing) "Yeah . . . we did." (grinning)

Liz: "Oh my God."

Maria: "Well, don't keep me in suspense . . . I mean, no way have you and Max had all this opportunity, not to mention motive, and not acted on it." "Am I right?"

Liz: (under her breath) "You have no idea."

Maria: "What was that?"

Liz: "Well, actually, yes . . . yes we have."

Maria: "And . . . "

Liz: "Maria!" "I can't . . . "

Maria: "Oh, yes you can, and you will! I want details . . . NOW!"

Liz: (serious again) "Uh, actually Maria, there's something else."

Maria: "Something else . . . what d'ya mean something else . . . don't tell me that you and Max have even managed to turn sex into something weird." "What is it with you two?"

Liz: (fumbling) "This is really hard to say . . . but . . . I'm pregnant."

Maria: (stunned) "You're kidding. No, you're not kidding, are you?" "Oh . . . my . . . God." (smiling brightly) "Lizzie . . ."

Liz: "Maria, you can't say anything to anyone else until Friday night. Max will kill me if you do . . . especially not Michael."

Maria: "Why?"

Liz: "I think Max wants to be the one to tell them."

Maria: "Oh . . . well, it's a good thing Friday's only two days away." "I think I can manage."

Liz: "There's more."

Maria: "Oh God. More? What do you mean more? Liz, how can there be any more? What is it twins, triplets, a new species . . . ?"

Liz: (laughing) "We're getting married this weekend in Vegas."

Maria: "O.k. I think maybe I'd like to find a place to sit down now." (absorbing the reality of the situation)

Liz: "Oh, and Maria . . . "

Maria: "Yeah?"

Liz: "The birth control pills don't appear to be real effective . . ."

Maria: "Oh . . . my . . . God . . . "

EVENING -

Max comes in Liz's door later that evening to see her sitting at the kitchen table pouring over text books. She looks up when he walks in and smiles.

Max: "Working kinda late aren't you?"

Liz: (rubbing her eyes) "Yeah . . . I got off to a bad start this morning and then Maria stopped by."

Max: (noticing her tiredness) "Maria . . . "

Liz: "Yeah . . . I think she just needed to get out for the day."

Max: "How's she doing?"

Liz: "O.k. We had a good time today, but now I'm a bit behind."

Max: "Why don't we go out and eat tonight? Chinese?"

Liz: (smiling at the memory of one of their few actual dates) "Yeah . . . that sounds good."

Max: (trying to keep a straight face) "So . . . what did you and Maria talk about today?" (asking even though he already knew)

Liz: (hurling a cushion in the direction of his head) "You are such a jerk." (turning pink)

Max: (laughing) "How did she take it?"

Liz: "Which part?"

Max: "What d'ya mean?"

Liz: "Well, she took the news about us fairly well, until all the ramifications set in."

Max: (confused) "I don't understand . . . "

Liz: "Apparently, she and Michael have been rather busy lately, and since they used the same form of birth control that didn't work for us . . . "

Max: (sitting back in his chair and blowing out his breath) "Did she freak out?"

Liz: "No . . . but she did look a little . . . distracted when she left."

Max: "Do you think she'll tell Michael about us?"

Liz: "No. I swore her to secrecy . . ."

Max: "That hasn't worked too well in the past . . ."

Liz: (serious again) "I'm sorry, Max. I know I shouldn't have told her."

Max: "It's o.k. They'll all know soon enough anyway. Sounds like she has more on her mind tonight than us anyway." "The only thing left now is Isabel. If she turns up pregnant, we'll have to leave the country. That would be just a little too much coincidence. (shaking his head)

Liz: "It is a little odd, isn't it?"

Max: "I don't know . . . maybe we just procreate at a certain age . . ." "Hopefully, Isabel and Alex haven't wandered into uncharted territory." "We'll just have to wait and see about Michael and Maria."

Liz: "Don't you think that they would know the same way that we did if they were pregnant?"

Max: "I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Maria doesn't seem to share your gift for telepathy. Michael might know, though."

Liz: "Uh, Max, I hate to change the subject just when it was getting really interesting, but I'm starving all of a sudden."

Max: (grinning) "I can see right now where the priorities are going to be for the next several months. Let's go!"

FRIDAY NIGHT - MARIA'S HOUSE

Michael and Maria are sitting in the living room and talking about announcing their engagement to the group. Michael is wondering about Maria's preoccupation, but figures that she'll tell him when she's ready . . . whatever it is. He wonders how in the world he's going to tell her that she's probably pregnant. The only reason he hadn't already done so was because he wasn't 100 percent sure. 90 maybe, but not 100. He also wonders how she's going to take it. Little does he know that she already suspects as much herself, and that's why she's so preoccupied. Max and Liz and Isabel and Alex arrive at the same time, and the four of them exchange greetings outside before walking in the front door. Strange, but no one even considered knocking first. They all gather in the living room and an uncomfortable silence decends on the group as they try to sort out what to say to each other.

Alex: (glancing at Isabel) "What's going on?"

Max and Liz exchange a look, as do Michael and Maria. Isabel sits back in her seat, with an expression of supreme impatience on her face. Something was not right here.

Max: "Well, Liz and I have something to tell you." (grabs her hand and gives it a quick squeeze) "We are getting married tomorrow . . . (deep breath) and we're having a baby."

Maria says nothing, but smiles at Liz. Alex and Isabel are so stunned, neither one can say a word.

Michael: (under his breath) "It must be in the water." (shakes his head) Unfortunately for Michael, Maria heard him and so did everyone else. She pounces.

Maria: (eyes narrowing) "What do you mean, it's in the water?"

Michael: (realizing his mistake too late) "Uh, I don't know for sure . . . but . . ."

Maria: "but what?"

Isabel: (standing up quickly and pacing) "Are we to understand, that you my dear brother, and you Michael, have lost your minds and gotten your girlfriends PREGNANT?"

Michael looks anywhere but at Maria or Isabel. Max, on the other hand, is prepared for hurricane Isabel.

Max: "Is, I know it's short notice, but will you come to the wedding tomorrow?"

Isabel: (eyes narrowing) "I know what you're up to, Max, and you're not going to get around me that easily. Yes, you know I'll be there, but WHERE WAS YOUR HEAD . . . don't answer that! (blushing at the pun)

Max: "Isabel, we didn't plan this. In fact, it might interest you to know that conventional forms of birth control aren't effective for us." Isabel is momentarily stunned into silence by this bit of information. Alex, however, has suddenly found his voice.

Alex: "What do you mean "conventional?"

Max: "Let's just say that there are no guarantees."

Alex: "There never are, but . . ."

Max: "Let me restate that. There are guarantees. If you do it, you will get pregnant."

Alex: "Oh. Well, that's . . . scary . . ."

Isabel (exasperated): "Could we get back to the matter at hand here please?"

Alex: (looking up at her): "I don't know, but I thought that piece of information was fairly pertinent."

Isabel (staring daggars at Alex, turns her attention to Max and Michael): "Well, what do you two have to say for yourselves?"

Michael just sits back in his seat, clearly irritated with this whole conversation and withdrawing.

Max: "Isabel, I know you are upset about this, but it's done, and we have to move forward."

Isabel: "How do you know, Max?" "How do you know what's coming?"

Max: "I don't exactly, but . . . "

Isabel: "What are you going to tell Mom and Dad?"

Max: "The truth." "I'll call them tomorrow to let them know where we are and that we're o.k. as soon as we're married."

Isabel: "This is just going to kill Mom, Max." (close to tears)

Max: "I know." (Liz puts her arm around Max and hugs him a little)

Isabel: (noticing how badly Max feels about this pulls herself together) "Well, I guess we better get busy packing if we're leaving in the morning. Alex, will you be able to drive me?"

Alex: "Are you kidding?" "You can't think I would actually miss this." (serious again) "Of course, I'll take you."

Isabel: (smiling at him) "Thank you."

Max (looking at Michael): "Will you come?"

Michael (looking at Maria): "What do you say, Maria?"

Maria (subdued): "Of course, we'll come."

Max: "Well, we better get back and get packed." "Meet you guys in the morning." Max and Liz get up and leave.

Isabel: "Alex, I think we better get going, too. We probably better get an early start tomorrow."

Alex: "No problem." They walk out together, leaving Michael and Maria to sort through the debris.

Michael is worried to death about the look on Maria's face. He's wondering if she's upset because she's pregnant or if it's something else . . .

Michael: "Are you okay?"

Maria: (standing up) "Yeah . . . I'm just trying to adjust . . ."

Michael: (stands up, too.) "Do you want to talk about it?"

Maria: (walking toward her bedroom stops and comes back to sand in front of Michael) "No. I don't want to talk about it. I want . . . you." Michael lets her lead him to the bedroom and comes to the realization that she is his entire world.

Max takes Liz back home and tucks her into bed, before leaving to go back to his parents' home and get packed. He is so glad that this is the last night they will have to spend apart. He couldn't even believe the change his life was taking, but he couldn't make himself regret any of it. Liz would be his wife by this time tomorrow, but in his heart, she already was.

Liz was having a little trouble going to sleep without Max. It was like her body didn't think it was supposed to sleep unless he was there beside her. She picked up her driver's license and birth certificate off the nightstand where Max had left them. In the blink of an eye, she was now 18 years old, thanks to Max and those amazing powers of his. Tomorrow, they would begin a new life as a family. It didn't seem possible that things could change this fast. Six months ago, she would have never believed that they would be together again, much less getting married and having a baby. The phone interruped her reverie. It was Max, of course, calling to tell her goodnight and that he loved her. She hung up the phone and immediately drifted off to sleep. Her body finally gave itself permission to rest, now that he had called.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.