FanFic - Max/Liz
"Change"
Part 6
by Anne
Disclaimer: I DON'T OWN ROSWELL OR ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THE WB TELEVISION NETWORK OR THE AUTHOR MELINDA METZ.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
IT'S LATE IN THE EVENING,
SHE'S WONDERING WHAT CLOTHES TO WEAR . . .
SHE PUTS ON HER MAKEUP AND BRUSHES
HER LONG DARK HAIR . . .
AND THEN SHE'LL ASK ME, DO I LOOK ALRIGHT?
AND I SAY, YES, YOU LOOK WONDERFUL TONIGHT . . .
- E. CLAPTON

Max and Liz got married in what was probably the least tacky chapel that Las Vegas had to offer. The ceremony went off without a hitch; unless, of course, you count the moment when Liz almost fainted as Max slipped a diamond ring on her finger. She wasn't expecting that. Where in the world did he get the money to buy a ring like that? But, then, this was Max, and money wasn't necessarily necessary. Liz had bought Max a very simple gold band, which she thought looked so odd and so perfect on him all at the same time. After the wedding, the guys took the girls upstairs to their adjoining rooms. Max told Liz that he needed to go downstairs and call their parents. He didn't really want her to have to deal with it, so he decided to go to the lobby to make the call. Michael and Alex went with him for moral support. Unfortunately, this left three extremely happy females on their own with a bottle of champagne. It never occurred to Max to tell Liz that she shouldn't drink any of it.

The girls have all changed their clothes and are now wearing jeans and t-shirts. No one has bothered with a pair of shoes.

Maria: "Well, Liz, this being your first night as a married lady, don't you think we should have a toast?"

Liz: "Uh, I don't know, Maria, you know . . . the baby . . . "

Maria: "Oh, come on, one little sip won't hurt us."

Isabel: "I'm not sure that's such a good idea, Maria."

Maria: "Geez! One sip. What's it gonna do? Kill us?"

Liz: "Well, I guess just a little." (Looking to Isabel for support)

Isabel (looking at Maria): "I guess just a sip won't hurt. Half a glass at the most."

Maria: (uncorking the bottle) "Of course, half a glass. That's all we'll have." Maria pours three glasses of champagne and the girls toast each other in turn.

Maria: "To Liz and Max and their baby . . . may you always be as happy as you were today."

Liz: "To Isabel and Alex . . . may they discover all this wonderful wedded bliss for themselves . . . soon."

Isabel: (rolling her eyes but grinning) "To Maria and Michael . . . may you have a healthy baby and a wonderful future together, inspite of all the differences in your basic . . . personalities. (They all crack up at this and take a sip of their champagne.)

10 MINUTES LATER -

The girls have changed clothes yet again and are now all wearing silk p.j.s. Liz has on pink satin pants and a matching camisole. Maria is wearing emerald green silk p.j.s and Isabel has on her customary crimson satin p.j.s.

Maria: "Oh, yes. That's so much better." "I'm so much more comfortable now."

Isabel: "Absolutely . . . much more free."

Liz: (hiccup) "It does feel better, but . . ."

Maria: "Oh c'mon, Lizzie . . . take another sip of your champagne."

Liz: "I don't know, Maria, I feel a little strange."

Maria: "Might as well finish the job then. Go ahead!"

Liz takes another sip of her champagne and sputters a little as it finds its way down into her stomach. The rooms spins and she decides to sit down. Unfortunately, there's no chair there, and she lands in a heap on the floor. Isabel rushes to help her up, but Maria is as bad off as Liz at the moment. They just sit there for a minute or so, until finally, the first giggle erupts from Maria. This is followed closely by Isabel and then Liz. Eventually there's hysterics all around. In between fits of giggles the girls decide that what they need is a night out on the town. They walk out the door of their hotel room without even locking it and not noticing that it doesn't close all the way.

Max and Michael and Alex pass the girls going up as they are headed down in the elevator. Max is still turning over the conversation with his parents in his mind (which had not gone well at all), as they step out of the elevator. His father was extremely upset and could not begin to understand how two underage "children" had gotten themselves married. Max hadn't had the heart to tell them that there was also a baby on the way. He figured he'd save that for when they got home tomorrow night. The phone call to Liz's parents had been even worse. Liz's Mom had burst into tears and asked to talk to Liz. He had had to tell her that Liz wasn't in the lobby with him and she couldn't, but that they'd be home tomorrow night. Liz's father had said very little and that was harder on Max's nerves than all the rest of it put together. Tomorrow night was not going to be pleasant by any stretch of the imagination. What he needed right now was to see Liz. The three guys approach their hotel rooms and instantly notice that the door is ajar to Max and LIz's room. They look at each other and step inside to see what is going on. What they see is an empty room. Michael looks at Max and says, "What the hell?" Max shrugs and continues to look around the room for some clue as to the whereabouts of his wife. Alex picks up the first clue when he notices the champagne bottle on the dresser. He picks it up and walks over to Max and Michael. Max takes one look at that empty bottle and bolts for the door. Michael closes his eyes and whispers "Jesus." Alex turns to look at Michael for some explanation as to Max's sudden departure, but all he sees is Michael's coattail as it disappears out the door. He drops the bottle and runs after them. Max and Michael aren't even waiting for the elevator. They've headed down the stairwell with Alex right behind them. The three men decend on the hotel lobby in short order and frantically search for the girls. All of a sudden Max knows exactly where Liz is, and he feels physically ill. If he didn't end up in jail tonight, it would be a total miracle.

IN THE LOUNGE -

I FEEL WONDERFUL, BECAUSE I SEE
THE LOVE LIGHT IN YOUR EYES . . .
AND THE WONDER OF IT ALL . . .
IS THAT YOU JUST DON'T REALIZE,
HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU . . .

The girls are having the time of their lives . . . oblivious to the fact that they are out in a public place with nothing on but their pajamas. They've cleared out a spot on the dance floor, and are really enjoying the music. None of them have any idea how they look. They might as well be alone for all they cared right now. Unfortunately, they are not alone, and the place was absolutely packed out tonight. When Max walks in the door, the first thing he sees is Liz on the dance floor in . . . pajamas! If that wasn't bad enough, one of the straps had fallen down her arm, and she had her thumbs hooked into the waistband of her pants creating a deep V of bare skin. Her head was tilted back and to one side, and her eyes were closed. Her hair looked like a waterfall down her back. She looked as if she were pretending to be dancing with him as she swayed to the music. Max catches a quick movement out of the corner of his eye and tears his gaze away from Liz to see what's going on. Sure enough, several men were headed in the direction of their girls. He knew there were undiscovered depths to his wife's sexuality but this . . .

WE GO TO A PARTY, AND EVERYONE
TURNS TO SEE, THIS BEAUTIFUL LADY
THAT'S WALKING AROUND WITH ME . . .
AND THEN SHE'LL ASK ME, DO YOU FEEL ALRIGHT?
AND I SAY YES, I FEEL WONDERFUL TONIGHT.

Max makes his way quickly to the dance floor, effectively cutting off any other advances in Liz's direction. Max swallows hard as his body automatically responds to the sight of her. He's not even aware of Michael and Alex's struggle with the situation. He can't take his eyes off of Liz. Without even opening her eyes, Max knows the instant that Liz realizes that he's there. She turns toward him with a radiant smile.

He's just sure that his heart stopped beating for a few seconds. She finally opens her eyes and looks at him as he pulls her into his arms. They dance for a few minutes until the song ends, and Max thinks about the words to the song and perfect they are for tonight. She pulls back to look at him and says, "My darlin', you were wonderful tonight.."

Max kisses her on the forehead and picks her up and carries her to the elevators. He knows that she didn't have very much to drink, so he's not worried about the baby, and he's glad that she's being spared the worry of their parents' reaction tonight. There would be time enough for that tomorrow. Tonight he just wanted her to be happy . . . and she was.

AND THEN I'LL TELL HER, AS I TURN OUT THE LIGHTS,
OH MY DARLIN', YOU WERE WONDERFUL TONIGHT.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.