FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Congratulations"
Part 1
by NolaDarling
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, I'm just borrowing them for this story, I promise to return them
Summary: Alternate Universe (no aliens, no powers) based on the movie The Best Man, with a twist. Max and Isabel are still brother and sister so are Tess and Michael. They all grew up together. Max, Michael, Kyle and Alex were all best friends in college. Maria and Michael are getting married. Tess and Maria became best friends in college and she is Maria’s maid of honor. Max is with Liz but she doesn't know the others. I don’t want to give it away to much, just a little background for the readers who have not seen the movie.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: There is a smidge of UC. I'm not a UC fan so there's not much. Thank you to Meagan for beta reading this for me. And to my Candy sisters JO, Ramona, Mary, Christina, Arielle, Ianthe you chicas rock!!!
Max was packing preparing to leave to go to New York for the wedding. The whole gang had planned a college reunion for the weekend and the wedding was on Sunday.

Michael, Maria, Kyle, Alex, Isabel, Max and Tess had all attended Syracuse University in New York and everyone except Max had settled there. After college he had moved to Chicago to pursue his writing. That was where he had met Liz. Michael had become a professional hockey player for the New York Rangers and was famous and one of the very best in the league. Michael had also helped Maria open up her own shop where she sold essential oils, fragrances, lotions and all kind of pampering and au natural beauty items. Maria had named the shop 'Amy's Daughter beauty by nature.' After dating their last 2 years in college and 2 years after college Michael had finally popped the question and Maria had accepted. Isabel was a buyer for Sax and Alex got his law degree, but was teachig at the time. They had been together since high school. And Kyle was a photographer/musician/gigolo and whatever else he could do to make a quick dollar. He's a fast talker and a ladies man.

The night before Max had slept on the couch and he and Liz hadn't spoken yet this morning. The earlier part of the drive to the airport was in dead silence. The tension in the air was so thick you needed a chainsaw to cut it. Finally Max cut did.

"Baby, about last night...."

Liz interrupted, "it's ok," Liz flashed him a half fake smile. "I know you love me...."

"You know I do."

"It's just....you know....I just have doubts sometimes. I mean this whole reunion wedding thing with your friends....I just.....I don't really know them and...."

"Oh baby they're gonna love you, don't worry."

"Really?" Liz said unconvinced.

"Really."

"Even Emilie?" She blurted out.

Max's mouth went dry. And the tension thickened if that was even possible. He knew where this conversation was going. Emilie was the name of the character in his book that he had referred to and described as Jason's soulmate. He tried to tell himself that she was fictional but deep down he knew he had patterned her after Tess. I mean the similarities between the two were way too identical to deny. And the character of Jason was no doubt himself. But he wouldn't dare let Liz know that. Even though he knew she was no fool and had probally figured it out.

Max and Tess had grown up together and dated briefly in high school. When they were in college they had an encounter one night while up late studying. They had kissed but the moment was broken when Max sneezed and they both fell out laughing. After that, things were kind of awkward but they still remained friends. Tess was very independent and probably just as much as a control freak as Max was. She was a producer for CNN and always had to be in control. That's probably why her and Max were somehow drawn to each other at times. They shared the same neurotic behavior, and Liz knew all of this. She felt kind of threatened by that and the thought of them spending the weekend together with this whole 'reunion before the wedding old friends spend time together weekend' thing did not make her feel any better.

"I can't believe you're upset over a fictional character in my book."

"It's not just a character....an icon, your 'soulmate'....excuse me Jason's soulmate.....she's nothing like me," Liz's expression saddened.

"Sweetie, she's not like anyone. She's a makeup of several women I've dated over the years....why would I lie about something like that baby...."

"I don't know, that's what frightens me....I don't wanna lose you."

She looked over at him and he lifted his hand and ran the back of his fingers across her cheek and assured her "you won't," Max said simply.

They pulled into the airport and got out of the car to get Max's luggage. "So I'll see you on Sunday?" Max said as he hugged Liz and leaned his forehead on hers.

"You betcha you will."

"You have my cell number, call me if you need me before Sunday."

"Ok. Love you."

"Ditto," Max said and turned to leave but stopped when he felt Liz was going to ask him something. "And no Tess is not picking me up. Alex is," Max said as he turned with a reassuring smile.

"I wasn't worried," Liz lied.

"Sure you weren't," Max teased.

"Has Alex read you book yet?"

"Nope, no one has really, and I'd like it to stay that way. Only you have read the first few chapters and that's all for you."

"So!" Liz teased and poked her tongue at him and waved bye.

That damn book Max thought. 'Unfinished Business' he titled it. 'It's gonna be the death of me'. He couldn't figure out whom he thought he could fool by changing the names and giving their background a little twist. He just prayed that the book wouldn't fall into the wrong hands too soon. Michael and Maria would be happily married and settled by the time the book would be published and no one would notice the intriguing haunting truth....so he hoped....

Part 0 | Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.