FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 16
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: This is primarily a Max and Liz story, but it includes all of the characters, and more than likely a few of my own invention. It starts in the cave after Nasedo/Peirce leaves in Destiny. The pod squad tries to active the orbs, but nothing happens, which means Liz never walks a way. To find out what they do learn who they are you'll have to read my story. I hope you enjoy it, be sure to leave me your thoughts if you want me to continue this.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: The original idea for this story was sent to me by a friend, but it has taken on a life of its own and headed into a new direction.
During the break before last period, Tess stood at her locker, emptying part of its contents into her backpack. She didn't want to have to carry the complete contents of her locker home all in one day. She didn't even see Isabel coming. "Tess we really have to talk."

Without even looking at Isabel, Tess stated, "I don't need to hear it, okay Isabel. I've had my fill for now." Tess closed her locker and zipped her bag shut. She faced Isabel and calmly stated, "Let your brother know something for me, will you? Even though he is managing to fight the truth for now, he can't fight it forever. Eventually he will have to face the truth that we were meant to be together. I just hope that happens before it's too late." Tess turned away from Isabel and walked down the hall to her last class.

Isabel was desperate, she knew she had to say something to get Tess to listen to her. She had to make sure Tess was going to be at the meeting in the old mine after school. "Tess! He now knows you were meant to be together." * . . . as brother and sister.*

Tess stopped in her tracks and turned to look at Isabel with a mix of surprise and suspicion. "He knows? When did he become so enlightened?"

Isabel walked up to Tess not wanting to announce what she has to say to the other students in the hallway. "We are all to meet at the old mine after school today. He said that he would explain everything we need to know then."

During last period, Max had come up with a plan to get some time alone with Liz before their meeting. He packed up his back pack five minutes before the bell was to ring. As soon as it did, he was the first out of class. He headed straight for Liz's class. Seeing her in the hall he took hold of her hand. "Come on, we have to hurry."

Liz looked surprised but, more than willing to comply. They ran down the halls, slowing only when they passed by one of the teachers standing outside his room. Max lead her straight out to the student parking lot. Once they were outside the building, they both started laughing as the feeling of relief and freedom washed over them. They had escaped their interfering friends and would have some time alone, or so they thought. The disappointment on Liz's face when they reached the Jeep made his heart ache. Isabel and Alex sat in the backseat waiting on them.

"You two look as anxious as we feel about this meeting." Alex stated with a knowing smirk on his face. Alex had guessed right about Max and Liz. He had a feeling they would trying to make a run for it after school. He hated to do this to them, it was obvious how much they wanted to be alone. However, Maria, Michael, Isabel and himself were dying to know what was so important that they call a meeting in such a secluded place as the old mine.

He wondered if Isabel knew more than she was letting on. She didn't seem quite as anxious as the rest of them did. When he asked about it, the only answer she would give him was that they had experienced more visions. And now she looked smug, more like pleased with herself. *What's that about?*

Isabel in some ways felt bad for Max and Liz. She more than any of the others know what they must be going through. Last night they had shared something she thought must have been very special, and throughout the day they were barely allowed time to say hello to each other. In other ways she was pleased with herself. She got her revenge for all she endured without any real effort. She threw her plan to get revenge out the window feeling that by the time this meeting was over they would have suffered enough. After all, it was very obvious to her they had suffered far more just being kept apart then anything she could have come up with.

Alex watched how Max and Liz clung to each other as they drove down the road. He was sure that he had done the right thing, otherwise this meeting may have never taken place. That or they would have all been sitting in the mine waiting for them to arrive for who knows how long.

~*~*~*

"Where is she? Are you sure she understood that we were meeting right after school?" Michael asked Isabel impatiently for what seemed like the hundredth time in the last half hour. School had let out a good forty-five minutes ago, and still no Tess.

Completely exasperated by his continual badgering, Isabel lost it. "I told her. She understood. I don't have a clue why she isn't here. And so help me, if you ask me one more time I'm going to take your head off, do you understand me?" Alex wrapped his arms around Isabel and tried to calm her down. He nodded his head to the side and signaled Maria to at least try and do the same with Michael.

Alex felt really bad, he had kept Max and Liz from being alone together, for what? To sit around waiting on Tess. The whole idea of meeting them in the Jeep was to prevent the waiting game.

Liz was talking to Kyle, when her gaze wandered and settled on Max once again. She loved to watch the way his jeans hugged his cute, firm butt when he shifted his weight back and forth between legs. She could feel how anxious he was to get the meeting over with. He wanted to be alone with her as much as she wanted to be alone with him.

Max turned from his position at the door, where he stood watching for Tess, to look at Liz. Their eyes met, and they stared longingly at each other. They were both so lost in each others eyes, they didn't register anything that was going on around them.

Maria pointed them out to Michael, "We are going to be so dead if that happens to us. My mother would kill you if she ever caught you looking at me like that."

"You mean, me looking at you like I wanted to rip your clothes off? It wouldn't happen."

"Ohhhh!" Maria shoves against him with her shoulder. "And exactly what do you mean by that spaceboy?"

"Don't get your gander up Maria. I'm just saying I would never let your mother catch me looking at you like that. I would save that look for times when we are alone."

Max and Liz's trance was broken when she turned to look at Kyle, who had began to wave his hand in front of her face. Kyle was frustrated with Liz. Every time he asked a question about Max, the others, or anything to do with what Tess had meant by the aliens' destiny, he lost her attention. How was he supposed to learn anything that would help him understand Tess, or get closer to her if Liz didn't cooperate? "Liz, Earth to Liz."

"Hum?", was her only reply as she turn to face Kyle.

His frustration vanished when he saw the way she looked. The distant, faraway look in her eyes, and the tender, loving smile on her lips. She radiated love. He then looked over at Max, and saw the same expression of love mirrored in his eyes and on his face. *That's what I want. I want to love and be loved so completely that everything else in my live pales in comparison. To be so in love I could get lost in the eyes of the woman I love, and to have the same effect on her. What is wrong with me, I'm sounding like some wuss. Oh who cares, it beats being in a loveless relationship, or one that doesn't last like my dad's.*

Max looked back out the door, it took every bit of control he had not to take Liz by the hand and get out of there. He tried to think about something, anything else. His thoughts ended up drifting back to the many times their friends had intervened in their plans today. Starting with lunch period. They agreed to concentrate on the two finals they had before lunch, and that for lunch as a reward they would head for some place to be alone. Well the agreement hadn't really helped either of them concentrate on their tests, but it had given them both something to look forward to. It was a goal to strive for, and both of them being goal oriented people they made it through the first half of the day without any attempts at heading for the eraser room.

However, their plans had been interrupted when Isabel and Maria did nothing short of kid napping Liz right from his arms in the middle of the student parking lot. They had been heading for the jeep when Maria pulled up in the Jetta and Isabel pushed Liz into the car as Michael and Alex dragged him the remainder of the way to the jeep, in the opposite direction. The guys dragged him to the taco stand on the edge of town, and he later found out the girls took Liz to the Crashdown. Then of course there were the many times they had been steered away from each other between classes. If it hadn't been driving them both crazy, they probably would have found the whole thing to be hysterical.

Liz's own thoughts drifted once again. She almost wished that she had told Maria and Alex about the previous night's events, in full detail, if that's what it would have taken for them to stop interfering. But the more she thought about it, the more she realized that would have been a really big mistake. She was just so desperate to be alone with Max, that she wasn't thinking with a clear head. Her whole body was screaming at her to kiss, touch, be with him in every way humanly possible that she was sure with even the slightest touch of his hand she would lose her last shred of control. She was to the point she didn't care who saw them, she felt so desperate.

She knew she couldn't really be mad at her friends for what they had done to them today, she wanted to be, but she knew the truth. They were only doing what she and Max had asked them to do. It had been the day they told the others about the visions starting again. Both her and Max asked their friends to help them get through this week. They had known how important their finals where to their grades, and they suspected there growing need to be together would make it difficult for them to resist each other. However, that changed today with the completion of their last test for this school year, after that their interference quickly became annoying. She didn't know how much more she was going to be able to take.

Max was about to give up on Tess, and begin without her. He wanted this meeting to be over with already. He could feel Liz's need for him, and it was only adding to his own need to be alone with her. He decided that he had been patient long enough, and it was time to get this meeting over as quickly as possible. He took one last look out the door, at the service road leading to the mine. Sure enough, just as he had given up on her making an appearance, he saw dust flying up on the dirt road that lead to the mine. It could only be Tess.

Originally Tess had no intention of showing at the mine at all. She figured that Max deserved to suffer for a while after everything he had put her through. She changed her mind, only after concluding Liz would use the time to her advantage. That she would try and convince Max the so called love they shared was more important than whatever his new discovery about his destiny was. She wasn't about to let that happen, not now when she was so close to finally having her Max.

As she pulled up, and saw Maria and Kyle's cars were there along with Max's jeep, she quickly became upset. Not so much about the human trio being there, because she wanted to see Liz's face when Max said that he knew she was his destiny. But because Kyle was there. She didn't want to see him, because the feelings she got when he was around still confused her. She pressed forward telling herself that Kyle being here could be a good thing. When he heard what Max was going to say, he would realize why she couldn't be with him, and hopefully give up on the idea.

The moment she stepped into the old abandoned mine, Michael started in her. "Well its about time you showed up. You know the rest of us do have better things to do than sitting here waiting on you."

"And what would that be Michael? Sitting around in your sorry excuse of a home alone? Oh, I know, your just mad because you can't stick your tongue down Maria's throat with such a large audience?"

Maria wasn't going to be insulted by the likes of someone that reminded her of a gerbil, not even if that insult had been directed at Michael. She jumped in before Michael has a chance to respond to her insult. "Just shut up Tess. You're just jealous, because no one would even what to kiss your lips, let alone stick their tongue in your mouth in fear that you would bite it off."

Tess looked over at Kyle feeling his heated stare on her once again. Her eyes met with his briefly sending a surge of need for his touch clear to her bones. She quickly averted her eyes as a stream of different thoughts rushed though her mind. *How does he do that to me? I can't get involved with him, I have to do something to discourage him from pursuing me. Please don't let anyone notice the way he looks at me, the way I looked at him, or the effect he has on me.* She looked back at Maria coldly as she masks her emotions. *What do you know Maria, someone did and does want to kiss me.*

Kyle hadn't taken his eyes off of Tess from the moment she entered the mine. Something about her kept drawing him to her. He didn't know where the thought came from, but it was like a voice in his head. *She is missing something, and you are the only one who can help her find it. Don't give up.*

The exchange between Kyle and Tess went unnoticed by all but one in the room. Liz's lips curled up slightly. *I would never have guessed that Kyle would want to be with Tess, or her with him, if not for the visions. But it seems so obvious now. I wonder how long it will take for them to get together after Tess learns the truth about her connection to Max.*

Max is still furious with Tess because of all stunts she pulled since her arrival in Roswell, and her late arrival today topped the cake. If he thought he could have some how left her out of this, he would have done it. But she is the one that needs to hear this the most. "That's enough you two!" he ordered, "I didn't call this meeting to hear you two bicker!"

"Why did you call this meeting, and why are they all here? Especially him!" She pointed directly at Kyle. "Kyle doesn't have anything to do with any of us!" Tess was angry with herself. She didn't understand this effect he had on her, and found it to be confusing. *I have to stop thinking about Kyle, but why is he the one that makes me feel alive inside? I'm supposed to be with Max. I've always known that, it's the way it has to be. Max and me together, it's the only way to fulfill your destiny.*

Max and Liz exchange glances, they talked about how much to say about Kyle's presence, and both agreed the two of them would have to find their own way to each other. They felt if they tried to push them together it would only back fire. "He's a part of this, Tess."

"And how do you figure that, might I ask. Is it because he knows about us? If that's the case, then why didn't you invite the sheriff too?"

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.