FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 8
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: This is primarily a Max and Liz story, but it includes all of the characters, and more than likely a few of my own invention. It starts in the cave after Nasedo/Peirce leaves in Destiny. The pod squad tries to active the orbs, but nothing happens, which means Liz never walks a way. To find out what they do learn who they are you'll have to read my story. I hope you enjoy it, be sure to leave me your thoughts if you want me to continue this.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: The original idea for this story was sent to me by a friend, but it has taken on a life of its own and headed into a new direction.
Liz is puzzled by her most recent vision and the feeling that accompanied it. She sits on the windowsill in her room staring blankly out into the sky, as they await the arrival of Alex and Isabel. She doesn't know how she is going to explain what she saw and felt in this vision when she doesn't completely understand it herself. It's almost as if she is missing the most crucial part of the puzzle. The one piece which makes all the other pieces fit together. Tears start to well in her eyes, at the possible repercussions of this vision. *Will Max remember the deep love him and Tess shared, and if he does, will I be strong enough to let him go?*

Max is still fuming after his confrontation with Tess when he reenters Liz's room. He looks around and realizes that Liz is still sitting where he left her, still staring up at the stars. He knows something about this last vision is disturbing her, but she refused to talk about it until the others arrive. He wouldn't have left her side, except he knew that he was the only one that could get rid of Tess. He looks over at the bed where Maria and Michael are sitting, and with a look, he asks if Liz has given them any clue what she saw. Maria shakes her head no.

Max kneels beside Liz and takes her hands into his. The look in her eyes is so sad it breaks his heart. *What could she have seen that would affect her this way? Could it be this has nothing to do with the vision at all?* "Liz is something wrong? Are you upset because we let things get out of control? With me for allowing them to?"

Liz tries to smile, as she brings her hand to rest on the side of his face in a reassuring gesture. "Don't ever think that Max. How could I ever blame you for doing something that I wanted? You do realize what we were doing was something I wanted to happen as much as you did, right? If anyone is to blame here, it's me. I'm the one that didn't want you to stop." She turns her whole body to face him. "The only thing I would have regretted, were if we lost the trust our parents have in us. I don't think they can possibly understand how it is for us. These feelings are so strong, so uncontrollable. I know my parents, if they had caught us, we wouldn't be seeing each other for a very long time, and I don't think I could bare that."

Max shifts in closer to her and brings his hands to rest on either side of her hips. "Babe, we didn't get caught, everything is fine. We'll just have to be more careful." She nods but her expression still looks grim. "Us almost getting caught isn't what's bothering you, is it? There's something else." Liz doesn't answer, she looks away hoping that he doesn't see the tears gathering in her eyes.

Max reaches up with his right hand, taking her chin gently in his palm. He leads her face back to look at him, and to meet the gaze in his eyes. She closes her eyes not wanting him to see her pain. However, he knows it's there. "Liz, please tell me what is wrong."

Liz's eyes shoot open at the sound of someone knocking on her bedroom door. "Hey guys, we let ourselves in. Hope you don't mind Liz." Alex says as he enters her room directly behind Isabel.

Liz breathes a sigh of relief. She didn't want to have to explain her last vision twice, "You know it is Alex."

"What's this new vision about?" he asks abruptly. The curiosity has been getting to both him and Isabel.

Liz stands from her seat, and closes the distance between her and her friends. Max stays by her side the whole way. She knows it's time to explain what she can. "This one is really complicated. I don't understand it all myself." She looks into Max's eyes, wanting to watch his reaction to what she has to say. "I was watching Max again. I'd say he was about 12 this time. He was so happy, free and full of life, as he was running and playing in an open field, with Tess at his side. I could feel everything he was feeling, which includes how much love he felt for her."

"Oh gosh Liz, that must have been so hard." Maria declares sympathetically.

Max turns Liz around to face him, and wraps his arms around her. *No wonder she seemed so upset. To think Liz witnessed feelings of love I must have felt for Tess if I married her. What she must be thinking and feeling, I know how hard it would be for me if I knew Liz loved someone else like that.*

"I'm sorry that you had to see and feel that. You know I don't feel that way about her, not now. I have no memory of any of that. I only love you Liz."

"I know that Max, I know that. You guys don't understand. The love you had for her wasn't the same as the love I feel, or the love I know Max feels for me. It's different, it's there but it's different."

"What do you mean, different? I can't put my finger on it. It's like they grew up loving each other. They always loved each other, but not passionately."

"Are you saying I married someone I felt was like a . . . . a sister?"

"That's a good way to put the feelings I was feeling coming from you. But you have to remember you were only around twelve at the time. Those feelings may have changed over the years. Maybe you two started as friends and at some time those feelings evolved into something more." This is really awkward for Liz, thinking about how Max's relationship with Tess may have evolved.

Max can't imagine himself having any feels for Tess other than ones of loathing, never love.

After all, how could he have ever loved someone who will do whatever it takes to get what they want regardless of whom it hurts. No, he could never have loved Tess, at least not like he loves Liz.

What shocks Max are the next words that come from Liz. "Max if I wasn't in the way, maybe your love for Tess would grow like it must have before."

There is no way Max is going to let Liz continue this line of thinking. "No way Liz, I will never love anyone the way I love you. Don't you even suggest what I think your thinking. I won't give up on us, do you hear me, and I won't let you give up either. "

The thought of this being with another one other than Liz, isn't acceptable. A sudden thought makes Max's blood begin to boil. "This is just another trick, Tess is doing this. She's trying to plant thoughts of doubt into your mind. That's way she was here Liz, she came here because she knew we were going to be here. She came so she could plant these thoughts into your mind. I swear, does she have no limits to what she is willing to do to get her way? Is she so incredibly stupid to actually think that by pushing you away from me, I would go to her?" Tears threaten to spill over from Max's eyes at the thought of losing Liz, as well as the fury building inside of him toward Tess. "I warned her what I would do if she tried anything else. Now she is going to pay." Max turns to storm out of the room, only to be stopped by Liz grabbing fiercely to his arm pulling him back. "No Max! You can't do this! Michael! Alex! Please don't let him do this!"

Alex rushes to block the door, not sure how he could actually stop this Czechoslovakian if he really wanted to get past. Michael put himself in between Max and Alex. Isabel jumps to her feet and moves quickly to Max's side, "Listen to her Max. Do you want her feeling worst about all of this than she already does? Think about Liz, Max. She needs you here. Not running off to hurt Tess."

Maria moved beside Liz and pulls her into an embrace. Liz burst into tears on Maria's shoulder. Maria lets her own words echoing through the room, "For heavens sake Max, you're acting like my lug head." Michael's eyebrows rise, Maria ignores him keeping her attention on Max. "You're usually the rational one here. Now use your head! We still don't know for sure Tess is behind this, and look at what your actions are doing to poor Liz. Isn't this hard enough on her already?"

Max looks at Liz, who is still clinging to Maria. He nods his head as he quickly calms back down. Maria relinquishes her hold on Liz and steps back letting Max wraps her protectively in his arms. "I'm sorry Liz, I sorry. Just the thought of losing you makes me crazy. I can't lose you Liz, I just can't."

With tears still in her eyes, Liz rises up on her toes and brings her lips up to meet with his. After a brief tender kiss, Liz slowly pulls back. "You won't lose me Max. I'll always be here as long as you want me to be."

Max rests his forehead against hers with a relief written all over his face. "I'll always want you here, always." Max's face turns serious. "I don't want you to have to experience any more of these visions, not when they are bringing you such pain."

"No Max, I want to, we have to find out the true, and this is the only way. I need to know where these visions are leading us, leading me."

"Are you sure?" He asks doubtfully.

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.