FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 22
by Mary N
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: This is primarily a Max and Liz story, but it includes all of the characters, and more than likely a few of my own invention. It starts in the cave after Nasedo/Peirce leaves in Destiny. The pod squad tries to active the orbs, but nothing happens, which means Liz never walks a way. To find out what they do learn who they are you'll have to read my story. I hope you enjoy it, be sure to leave me your thoughts if you want me to continue this.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: The original idea for this story was sent to me by a friend, but it has taken on a life of its own and headed into a new direction.
Michael, Maria, Alex, and Isabel went back to Michael's apartment. They wanted someplace where they could talk about what they'd learned in private.

"Michael, I think we've all heard enough about your theories as to how Max and Liz got together last night, to last a life time. Just be glad they didn't get caught, and that it's them and not us being pulled together like this. First of all, there is no way that I would give into those kinds of feelings, just so you could have your answers. I mean even if I did, my mother never sleeps that soundly. She would surely have heard us, and knowing my mother, she would kill you first and ask questions later." Michael wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her out of the seat beside him on his couch, and into his lap. "Then we would just have to make sure we used my apartment and not your house. That way she would never find out."

Maria slapped him on the arm, "Don't you listen spaceboy? I said it would never happen."

"I heard you Maria. You said it wouldn't be to help me find answers and that it would have to be somewhere where your mother wouldn't find out. It's easy enough to work around that. I'd be willing to take the chance if you are."

"Would you two stop it?! It's bad enough that we have to deal with the Max and Liz thing, but there is no way I'm going to sit here and watch you two as well."

"Yeah right Isabel, like we don't have to put up with watching the longing looks between you and Alex." Maria spewed back with a teasing smile on her lips.

"Whatever Maria, lets just get back to the Max and Liz thing. Do you think that they will see anymore visions?"

"Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I don't see how they couldn't if intimacy is the trigger to the visions. It's really obvious what they planned to do when they tore out of our meeting. They couldn't wait to be alone."

"I agree with Michael. They were both ready to explode when they left. I'm just wondering what they will see, if it does lead them to another orb, or to the other three orbs. What are we supposed to do with them? How do we know that whoever is sending these images of the orbs whereabouts is really on our side here? I've watched my share of sci-fi shows to know that sometimes the enemy uses your weaknesses to lure you into their trap, and then they swoop in and try to kill all the good guys."

Isabel gave Alex a playful shove, "Alex, give us a break, and here I thought that Michael was the one that was always paranoid."

The little wheels in Michael's head start to spin. "He has a point."

"Oh that's just great Alex, now see what you've done?" Maria said as she rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I'm changing the subject right here, right now. What I want to know is how well Tess is taking this news? And did any of you see the way Kyle was looking at her. I'm telling you, that boy has it bad. And if I'm right, its a two-way street."

Isabel suddenly looked interested in the subject. "Do you really think that Tess likes Kyle? I mean come on she was still trying to get Max to be with her."

"I know, it does seem a little weird, but I was watching those two and there is definitely something there. I think that Tess is just fighting it, maybe because she really is convinced that her destiny was Max. I know she really seemed wigged at the thought that Max was her brother. It would sure wig me out if I were in her shoes."

"That would explain why Max and Liz wanted Kyle there today. The pieces are starting to fit now. They said that there were Five orbs right? And that each couple shared one with the fifth in the center. If Kyle and Tess were together, that would make four couples would it not?"

~*~*~*

Kyle followed Tess back to her house. They parked their vehicles in the driveway and headed inside. "You can help yourself to anything in the fridge. There should be some pop in there and off hand I can't think of what else, but you're welcome to whatever you want." She pointed him in the right direction as she headed for the stairs. "I'm going upstairs for a moment. I'll be right back down."

"Kay, do you what anything while I'm in there?"

Already halfway up the stairs, she stops and turns to face him. "Cherry Coke with Lime sounds good." She turned back around and continued her ascent up the stairs and to her room. She set down in a chair positioned in front of her vanity, and with a wave of her hand removed all signs of the tears she'd shed earlier. When her task was complete, she continued to stare at her reflection in the mirror.

Kyle found the glasses in the cabinet, and fixed them both a drink. However, he didn't put the lime in hers as she had requested, but only because he didn't see any limes. He rummaged through her fridge for anything to eat, and ended up settling for an apple out of the crisper. Carrying his food and drink with him, he began to look at the collection of rare artifacts around the house.

Tess rested her forehead in the palms of her hands barely succeeding to hold back a wave of fresh tears. She couldn't remember a time she had cried, or wanted to cry as much has she had cried since arriving in Roswell. Why where the people here able to get to her the way no one ever had before? She knew the answer, it was that the people here, Max, Isabel, and Michael were the people her life had evolved around and things with them turned out completely different from what she thought it would.

"I'm not starting this over again." She ran her fingers through her curly blonde hair and stood abruptly to her feet. "I have to know that truth, regardless of what that truth is." She walked out of her room and headed down stairs to where she left Kyle. "Kyle."

He looked up from the weird looking mask in time to see a determined Tess walking toward him. She stopped two feet in front of him and put her hands on her hips. He wondered what happened while she was up stairs that changed her emotional state so drastically. "What's up?"

"You've known Liz and Max longer than I have." He nodded his head wondering where she was heading with this and she continued. "Do you think they would lie about having these visions, or if they are having them, do you think that they would lie about what they saw?"

Kyle didn't have to ponder how to answer this question, he'd already come to a conclusion on the subject. "Tess, there's a lot I don't know about Evans, that's pretty obvious, I would never have guessed the secret he was keeping. However, from what I do know about him and Liz, I'd have to say no. They didn't make this up, they didn't need to. They'd already decided to be together regardless of what you've told them, and besides, they are both so serious about stuff. I just don't see them making up something that could come back and bite them in the ass later. Which you know as well as I do, if they had made this up, that's exactly what would happen."

"Them telling us that there are more orbs out there, does make it sound that way doesn't it. If we couldn't find the orbs, we would know they were lying."

"So there's your answer. If they are able to lead us to another orb, they are telling the truth, if no more orbs are found, it was a fabrication." He watched as she seemed to accept this, and then he decided to plant a seed in her mind. A thought that he hoped would grow and bring them closer together. "Why do you think I was included in this meeting? It made since that Liz would be there with Max, Maria with Michael, and even Alex with Isabel, but why me?"

The way she looked at him, told him that she hadn't even thought about it. On the other hand, he had thought a lot about it on their way to her house from the mine. And he had a sneaky feeling that it had to do with the attraction, and pull he felt toward her. The way he felt when he was around her, thinking about her, and most definitely the way it felt when he had held her in his arms.

Now as she thought about it, Max had only said, "He was a part of this." However, he didn't say how. She now wondered if it had to do with they way he made her feel when he looked at her the way that he did. The way when he stared at her could stir her emotions, and make her blood boil. She took a deep breath to calm the growing flame from just thinking about it. She wasn't ready to admit this to him, not until she was sure that Max and Liz were telling the true about the visions, and the other orbs. She had to play this off, so in a claim voice she responded. "I don't know Kyle. It doesn't make a lot of since, but then none of what we have learned does."

He smiled to himself, he had accomplished what he set out to do, and that was to make her think. Then he thought, maybe just another little push. With a knowing smile on his face, he stared at her lips, and then slowly moved down her neck, breasts, trim stomach, hips, and legs, and then back up meeting her eyes. "I suppose you're right, it doesn't make since that I would be included since you and I aren't together. And from everything you say, I have no effect on you, so chances are I never will be."

He closed the two feet that she had left between them, and slowly ran his right hand down her arm. "However, if I'm right, and you do feel the same way about me that I do about you, then . . ." He trailed off, leaving her to think about the possibilities, and leaned in kissing her gently on the lips. With that he stepped past her and headed for the door. "I'll see you later, Tess."

Tess's body was humming, and she barely even registered him saying goodbye. All she could think about was, *Why did he have this effect on her, and was he right about the reason why Max wanted him there?* ~*~*~

Max and Liz clung to each other tightly, both feeling exhausted from their lovemaking, a series of new flashes swept through their minds.

*Flash* They saw an old stone church with a small cemetery next to it. The movement that followed was quick and sporadic. It was as if someone were looking around to make sure they weren't being followed or watched. Whomever it was passed several rows of tomb stones and stopped beside an open grave. The tomb stone was laying on the ground and it read ‘Gregory Hall, Born Oct. 12, 1897, Died August 3, 1949, Beloved husband and loving father of five. Next thing they knew, they were looking up at the sky as the tomb stone was being lowered, blocking all light.

The flashes ended, they didn't have anytime to contemplate what they had seen before something in the room caught their attention. They were still hearing the beeping sound that always accompanied the flashes. Standing to his full height, Max helped Liz to her feet. They shared a quick glance before they walked over to where they stored the orb they found last February by the radio tower, and the one they took from Peirce. Even before they started walking toward the ledge below the incubation chambers they, realized that they were glowing.

"Why do you think they are doing that?" Liz asked as the finished crossing the short distance.

"I don't know, but I would guess it has to do with the flashes we saw." Max was just as puzzled by the orb as Liz was. He glanced one more time in her direction and then reached out to pickup one of the orbs.

"I don't know Max, shouldn't they have stopped beeping and glowing when the vision . . . .?" Liz didn't finish her question, because as soon as Max touched the orb, it stopped beeping, and the glowing stopped. Instead she followed suit and picked up the other orb, and it too seemed to turn off. What they both found to be strange was they seemed to start glowing again almost immediately. They hadn't done that before. "Max? What do you think this means?"

"I wish I knew Liz, I wish I knew."

They sat the orbs back on the ledge and walked back over to the blankets on the ground. As they sat on the blanket, Max leaned over propping himself up on one elbow and started grinning from ear to ear, forgetting all about the orbs for the moment. "What?" Asked Liz trying to figure out what changed in those mere moments.

"I just realized that . . ." With a feather light touch, Max traced the pads of his fingers over her left bare hip and up to the side of her breast. Grazing her breast ever so slightly. ". . .you and I are still undressed."

Liz was so grateful for the dim lighting. She blushed from head to toe as she became acutely aware of her state of undress. She looked away from him shyly. Being in front of each other like this as still very new for the both of them, it being only their second time together as lovers. And the first time they had blankets to cover their naked forms as they laid in each others arms. It didn't take but a few moments for her to regain her nerve. Once she did, she smiled shyly and looked into the eyes that had the ability to captive her so easily. "True, I guess we are."

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.