FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 28
by Mary N
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: This is primarily a Max and Liz story, but it includes all of the characters, and more than likely a few of my own invention. It starts in the cave after Nasedo/Peirce leaves in Destiny. The pod squad tries to active the orbs, but nothing happens, which means Liz never walks a way. To find out what they do learn who they are you'll have to read my story. I hope you enjoy it, be sure to leave me your thoughts if you want me to continue this.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: The original idea for this story was sent to me by a friend, but it has taken on a life of its own and headed into a new direction.
Liz was putting on her shoes as Max stood over her keeping an eye on the entrance, his mind was racing.

*When the door opened, no one came in, why? Or maybe someone did. Its possible someone else could have the same abilities Tess does. And if this person does have the same ability they could make us see things that aren't there, or not see things that are, like themselves?*

Max looked around the room looking for anything that didn't seem quiet right. *Get a grip on yourself Max Evans. That's not what's happening here, your letting your imagination get the better of you. If someone had come in, and was using that particular gift you would know it. I'll have to remember to thank Tess for that. If she hadn't tried so often to manipulate me, I would recognize the signs. I guess something good came of her mind games after all.*

He was still feeling very uneasy about the whole situation. Someone had opened the entrance, and the more time that passed, the more convinced he was that it wasn't their friends. *Why would someone open the door and not come in?*

Liz looked up at Max after finishing with her shoes, and saw the look of concern on his face. She stood to her feet and placed her hand on his arm, to get his attention. "You okay Max?"

He looked into her eyes and mustered a meek smile. Keeping his voice as calm as he could he ask, "Disappointed we didn't get to finish what we started, but okay. You ready to go?"

She could tell, Max was trying not to worry her with what was bothering him. She speculated it was nothing more that him being upset with their friends, which she couldn't blame him. She wasn't to happy with them at the moment either. They really have a knack for interrupting at the worse possible moments. She promised herself that somehow she was going to make this up to them both tonight.

Max wove his fingers through hers and was leading her toward the entrance when she realized he still had the orbs in other hand. "Wait Max, the orbs. Aren't we going to leave them here for safe keeping?

"Not this time, I think we should take them with us."

All of Liz's warning flags went up causing the hair on the back of her neck stand straight up. And she realized that what was bothering Max was more than him being upset with the others. "Max, what's wrong? I know something is bothering you, so don't try and deny it, or tell me it's nothing."

Try as he may, he couldn't hide how his suspicions were bothering him. He was never very good at hiding things from Liz and didn't know why bothered to tries to. Actually he did, he didn't want to worry her for no reason. "It maybe nothing, but I don't think our friends had anything to do with the entrance opening."

She looked over at the door letting what he was saying soak in. When she looked back at him, she couldn't keep herself from asking. "Are you sure?" She knew it was a stupid question, of course he wasn't sure. He'd said that, but she needed to know why he thought what he did, and who he thought had opened the door.

"No, I don't know for sure, its just a feeling. Think about it Liz, when have they ever been this patient? It's been what, five minutes since it opened, and they haven't opened it again to yell at us to hurry up. On top of that, wouldn't they have called in the first time and asked if we were decent? They didn't even know we were here, they would have just walked in on us."

She clung tighter to his arm to steady herself. She couldn't believe she hadn't even thought of it. Max was right, this would be way out of character for their friends. "Max you're right, I know your right. What do we do now?"

"We get out of here just like we planned." Releasing his grip on her hand, he reached up to cup the side of her face watching her eyes to make sure she was going to be okay with this. He was overjoyed to see the faith she had in him reflecting in her eyes. He knew the sooner the got out of there the better, but he couldn't resist kissing her. In one brief kiss, they shared as much meaning as any kiss they had ever shared. It carried their love, hope and dreams of the future the planned to share together.

He pulled the keys out of his jacket pocket and slid and orb into each pocket, preparing himself for a quick get away. He then wove his fingers through hers once again and finished leading her the remaining distance to the entrance. He waved his hand over the wall causing the silver hand print to appear and was about to press his hand to it when he turned to look at Liz. "Whatever you do Liz, stay close to me." She nodded her head yes as she tightened her grip on his hand.

Once again he moved to press his hand to the silver hand print on the wall, this time the wall opened. Max looked around outside for anyone that might be waiting on them to emerge, and was both confused and relieved when he didn't see anyone. Cautiously he stepped out, closed the chamber, and proceeded to lead Liz down to the Jeep. The whole while he was expecting someone to jump out at them, so he continued to scan over the area as he helped her climb into the passenger seat of the jeep, via climbing through the drivers side. Max turned the key in the ignition, and the jeep roared to life, and they pulled away heading straight for the center of town.

At the bottom of the rock formation, the same dark complected man who continued to keep an eye on the group stepped away from the face of the rock and breathed a sigh of relief as he watched Max and Liz drive away.

***Flash back***

It had already been a couple of hours since Olan felt the power surge from within the chamber, and knew Max and Liz had activated one of the orbs. He was pacing back and forth a few yards from the rock formation. His concern for Max and Liz growing stronger the longer they stayed inside. The power surge had been so strong, he was sure if any of their enemies were within a 300 mile radius they would have picked it up. His fear was that they may have been closer.

Luckily they wouldn't be able to find the chamber itself, that is unless they spotted the entrance open, or of course they spotted someone entering or leaving it. And if that were to happen they wouldn't only find the chamber, but they would know those who had entered or emerged would be those they had been hunting for all of these years. He had to do something to prevent that from happening, and he had to do it as quickly as possible. He feared he'd already waited too long. One problem, how was he going to do it without using his powers?

He was short on options, and only one thing came to mind. It would be slightly risky on his part, and there were no guaranties that they would react the way he needed them to, but he had to give it a try. Quickly he made his way to the entrance of the chamber, and waved his hand over the hidden trigger. When the hand print appeared he pressed his hand to it, causing the wall to open, then immediately closed it once again. He only hoped the sound of doing so would echo in the stillness of the chamber and alerting them to the danger.

Unable to know how long it would take them to come and investigate, he made his way as quickly as he could to the bottom of the slop and camblended himself to look like part of the structure. While waiting he thought about heading for his car, which he'd parked around the bend, but thought better of it. Solely because he had to make sure the destined leader and his mate were able to get away safely.

Olan was beginning to question if his plan was going to work or not, when he heard movement around the chamber entrance. He inwardly breathed a sigh of relief as he heard the footsteps descending the slop and heading quickly for Max's jeep. Pleased that his plan had succeeded, he watched Max help Liz into the jeep and pulled way. It was very apparent that Max's first concern was in getting Liz away from here safely.

As far as he was concerned, his plan had succeeded. The two were on their way, and without an encounter with their enemies. Now if only he could find a way to assure they would continue to be safe until they were ready for what was coming their way. When he was sure they would no longer be about to see him, he stepped away from the face of the rock and breathed a sigh of relief, it looked like they would be out of here in plenty of time.

*** When Liz was sure they weren't being followed, she leaned over and kissed Max on the cheek. She then snuggled into his side feeling safe once again as he wrapped his arm around her. The orb in his right pocket was keeping her from getting comfortable, so she pulled it out of his pocket and laid it in her lap. She snuggled back into his side taking comfort in the warmth radiating from him, and began to ran her thumb over the symbol. Is she did so, she began to wonder the same thing Max had questioned earlier. "Max, do you think by activating the orb, that we've let your enemies know where we are? Nesado did say we wouldn't know who else might receive our signal."

"I was thinking about that too, and I wish I knew." As far as Max was concerned, even if they did alert their enemies to there general location, it was worth it. The energy he felt emerging from the orb had come from him and Liz, and it would be something their enemies, whoever they were would have to contend with. He could only imagine the amount of power all eight of them would be able to generate once they have the other three orbs. ***** TBC. . . .

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.