FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Fallout"
Part 4
by Teri Leigh
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the WB, Melinda or Jason. Basically I own nothing and no infringement is intended.
Summary: My version of what takes place after Destiny. Max is in a bad place.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: There may be a short 4 part sequel to this one if anyone wants it to continue. The Point of View changes in each section between Max and Liz.
Liz

"So, Liz, do you have plans for tonight?" Maria's voice sounded drained.

"Umm, Kyle and I are going to dinner and a movie, why?"

"Oh, just curious," she replied despondently.

Liz assessed her friend for a moment. Maria had it tougher than she did in a lot of ways. At least Liz now had Kyle to hang out with and help ease the loneliness of being without Max. Not only was Maria alone, but she had a daily reminder of her solitude every time she came to work and saw Michael in the kitchen.

Liz wasn't quite sure what was going on with Michael and Maria. She knew that they weren't together, at least not in the same way they had been before discovering his destiny, but at the same time they weren't at each other's throats they way they once had been. At work, they were painfully polite to one and other. Never in her life had Liz heard so many "pleases" and "thank yous" as she now heard between the two. Though she was pretty sure neither had noticed, she frequently caught the forlorn looks cast by each in the other's direction.

Now that she and Kyle had started dating again, Liz had even less time to spend with Maria. For the first time in as long as she could remember, she didn't know what was going on with Maria. Liz felt guilty for neglecting her oldest and dearest friend, and at a time when she was needed more than ever. At that moment, Liz decided she would cancel her plans tonight so she and Maria could do some girly bonding. Kyle would understand, she was sure of it.

"The cowboy cometh." Maria said with a gesture towards Kyle, who was striding up to join them.

"Hey, I heard that DeLuca." His arms wrapped around Liz and he dropped a kiss on her lips.

"OK, I'm out of here" Maria pulled off her antennae and grabbed her bag. Before Liz had a chance to speak up and stop her, Kyle addressed the quickly fleeing blonde.

"Why are you running off so fast? Got a hot date tonight or something?"

Liz winced at Kyle's insensitivity. He knew that Maria wasn't seeing anyone since her break-up with Michael. Liz had confessed her worry over her friend's lack of socializing just a few nights ago. Was he intentionally being a jerk, or did he simply not listen to anything she said?

"No, you and Liz would be the ones with the hot date. The only person interested in my where-abouts tonight are my pals Ben and Jerry."

"Well, instead of staying home and trying like hell to gain ten pounds, why don't you come out tonight with me and Liz?"

Liz was so stunned by Kyle's invitation that she had to sit down. She plopped into the booth they stood around and stared up at the two of them. Though Maria tried her hardest not to show any reaction to the offer, Liz saw her face brighten before she regained her composure.

"Yeah, that would be fun. It's been a while since I was a third wheel." She continued on towards the door only to be stopped by Kyle's arm being flung around her shoulders.

"Third wheel? No way. I'm talking fantasy fulfillment, here. How often does a guy get to take out two of the most beautiful women in Roswell? A hot chick on each arm, that's the stuff dreams are made of." Liz could almost take insult to the "hot chick" comment, but the look on his face as he uttered the phrase made her chuckle instead. He spoke with a reverence that most people only used when referring to deities or the secrets of an everlasting life filled with unimaginable riches.

"Fantasy fulfillment, huh?" The smirk Maria gave him was priceless. She obviously wasn't falling for it. "Yeah, like I'd buy that. I'm sure your fantasies just involve the date and in no way include nudity or hot lesbian sex."

"True enough," he agreed with a nod of his head. "But all that has to begin somewhere. So what do you say?"

She turned around to glare at him with her you-can't-really-be-serious look before saying in her standard sarcastic way, "Well, gee, now that I realize it's all some bizarre threesome dream of yours…NO!"

Trying once again to leave, she was held back by Kyle as he rushed over. "Wait, wait!" Catching up to her, he lead her back to the booth where Liz was sitting before dropping into the unoccupied side, holding her hands to keep her in place before him. "OK, I'll tell you the real reason I want you to go."

Liz smiled and waited for Kyle to explain that they all cared for Maria and were worried about her. To remind her that, no matter what had happened with Michael, all her friends were still here for her and wanted nothing other than her happiness. Of course, his reasons weren't exactly what she was expecting.

"See, my friends and I made this little…wager."

"Having to do with me?"

"Yes."

"And hot lesbian sex with you and Liz?" Maria asked the question with such a straight face that Liz almost spewed her soda trying to fight back her laughter. She blushed light pink before looking around the restaurant. Sure enough, the eyes of almost every guy there were now focused on the three of them.

Kyle rolled his eyes at her. "No. But hey, next time why don't you say that a little louder? The guy at the front of the restaurant didn't hear."

"And I'm so sure you mind. So you made a bet about me. Wait a minute!" Her eyes narrowed and she spoke through clenched teeth. "What kinda of bet did you and your stupid jock friends make about me?"

"Nothing like I assume your dirty, twisted little mind is thinking up." His tone was kept playful, taking all possible sting out of his words. "They just said something like 'Maria doesn't know how to have fun anymore' or you've 'forgotten how to smile' or something like that. Basically, they don't think you're ever going to crawl out from this funk you've fallen into and I bet them they were wrong. So, see you have to go. I've got fifty bucks riding on you."

"Yeah, I'm so sure."

"Really, Maria. Think of it. With fifty bucks, I may even let you get popcorn at the movie." He winked at her, jiggling her hands to see if he could coax a grin from her.

"Look, Kyle," her shoulders slumped and she heaved a loud sigh. "I'm not going. I know what you're trying to do and…even though I hate saying this…it means a lot. I just don't really think I'm up to being social, polite, or charming."

"Like you're ever social, polite or charming. You just need to be present and fake having a half-way decent time."

This time Maria didn't ever grace him with a quip before turning on her heel once more to leave. However, Kyle anticipated her move and snaked an arm around her waist, pulling her down onto his lap before she had a chance to take two steps.

"OK, look." His voice had suddenly taken on a shaper edge and Liz noticed that the arm he had around Maria was holding her tightly. "I didn't want it to come down to this, but it's blackmail time."

"Blackmail?" Maria repeated in disbelief. "What the hell can you blackmail me with?"

"If you don't come to dinner and a movie with Liz and me tonight," he paused to take in a dramatic breath. "I'll tell my father all about your mopey attitude."

Maria burst out in giggles, clutching her stomach as her mirth continued. She condescendingly patted his arm before saying, "Kyle, even in this stupid, backwards, hodunk little town, the sheriff can't do anything about it. It's not a crime to mope."

"He can tell you mother," he added in a singsong voice. "I bet it's been a while since you and Amy have done any mother/daughter bonding. You're right, that does sound much more fun that dinner and a movie with your best friend and the best looking, most athletic, most charming guy at West Roswell High. Especially if the whole evening would be said guy's treat."

The smile on Liz's face lit up the room. She knew Maria was caught. As much as the blonde loved her mother, Amy was one of the most meddling people Liz knew. More so if she realized Maria's mood was brought on by boy troubles.

"Kyle Valenti you are such a…." she stopped and let out a frustrated shriek. "Fine, I'll go to the stupid movie, but I won't have fun!"

"Oh yes, you will." Kyle taunted.

"No, I won't." Maria retorted with a glare.

"You will."

"I won't."

"You will." He said firmly and then began to tickle her so she couldn't respond. She hopped off his lap and quickly danced away from his wiggling fingers, but didn't go too far. Leaning over, Kyle kissed Liz soundly on the lips and gave her a wink. "I'll be back in…Maria, how long does it take your butt to get ready?"

"Well," Liz interjected before the bickering could begin. "The movie starts at 5:15. How about we all meet back here at 4:30? Does that work?"

"Yeah, I'll give mopey over there a ride home and then go home and change and pick her back up before we get here. That's a little less than two hours. Do you think you can manage that DeLuca?"

"Whatever. Like it takes me long to get ready. I'm naturally beautiful." She struck a pose reminiscent of a supermodel, remaining utterly still for a moment before slinging her bag over her shoulder. "Let's go Valenti. And no plaid tonight. You're fantasies may include dating two women, but plaid has never appeared in any of mine."

He leaned over to kiss Liz one last time before charging Maria linebacker style and throwing her over his shoulder. Liz once again broke out in snickers as Kyle carried Maria out the door, her friend shouting at him the entire way.

Kyle had been so great since they had gotten back together. Honestly, she didn't even recall them making a conscious decision to start dating again. It was almost like they simply fell back into a pattern they had fallen out of almost a year ago. In truth, Kyle was much more laid back now, more fun to be with. They were comfortable with one another. She enjoyed spending time with him, and he made her laugh. It was simple and easy. It wasn't true love and heart stopping kisses or soul-searching glances. It was nothing like what she had with Max.

She just couldn't decide if that was good or bad.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.