FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Inside My Heart"
Part 15
by Linda
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Liz’s Grandma was the first person near the Crash sight in 1947. What if she helped a wounded alien hide the pods and agreed to protect them? What if she knew the story of their past lives and how important they were to their planet? What if there were FIVE pods, only one was slightly damaged and opened six years earlier then the others were supposed to open, making this podster an infant when they emerged from the pod?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Other than the ship landing with the pods in 1947, everything else is my version of Roswell. Which means, among other things, that NOTHING in season 2 happened!!! Dedication: I also have to thank my buddies Lyn (LaHelton4@aol.com) and Mel (LizParkerEvans@aol.com) for helping me get this story started and giving me not only feedback, but help with the ideas for this story. And to my wonderful friend Anne M. (luv2luvmax@yahoo.com) for all her encouragement and support.
It was a cold January morning when the gang stood in front of the driveway of the Evans’ house to say good bye to their friends.

Liz was miserable, tears were streaming down her face as she quietly stood beside an equally miserable looking Max who held her hand like he’d never let it go, which was fine with Liz since she was holding on to his hand just as tightly.

Liz had already gotten tearful hugs from Isabel and Tess and Mr. & Mrs. Evans, so she just stood holding on to Max and watched the others all say their goodbyes. She didn’t think she’d ever be ready to say goodbye to Max.

Max noticed everyone else was busy saying goodbye to the large group so he gripped Liz’s hand tighter and led her around the corner of the house.

Liz fell into his arms as he leaned back against the house and pulled her to him. They held on to each other as if they were never going to let go.

Liz sobbed into Max’s chest while Max just bowed his head over her sweet smelling hair, inhaled one last time, and closed his eyes to fight his own tears.

“I love you Liz. And I’ll be back for you. Don’t you forget that.” He whispered in a hoarse voice filled with tears.

“Max. I love you so much my Max. I’ll be waiting.” She whispered into his broad chest. At almost 14, Max had started to fill out and gotten much taller than Liz’s slight frame, making her fit him perfectly.

They had had almost 3 months to prepare for this day, since the day after the dance, but they still couldn’t say goodbye.

Liz thought of this being the last time she would hold Max and have him hold her and comfort her. The last time she’d have him to just talk to and share things with. The last time she’d see his wonderful features and his smile and those intense eyes. With another sob Liz clung even tighter to him.

“I can’t. I can’t do it. I can’t say goodbye Max,” she cried as if her heart was breaking.

Max swore under his breath as he held her shivering form and he just wanted to cry with her. How the heck was he going to live without her for the next three years! He wouldn’t see her beautiful smile everyday or her sparkling eyes or feel her sweet arms hugging him or her gentle hand held tightly in his. He groaned in pain and held Liz tighter to him.

“Max?” he heard his mother call.

Liz whimpered and tightened her grip on Max at the sound that meant they were leaving.

“God Liz.” Max cried out hoarsely not wanting to let go either as he bowed his head over hers and held her tightly, rubbing his arms up and down her cold form.

Suddenly Liz raised her head and looked up into Max’s eyes that were dark with pain.

“Kiss me Max. Kiss me to last 3 years.” She whispered hungrily.

Max looked down at the face of his angel and memorized it. Her huge brown eyes were looking up at him hungrily while still filled with her tears, and her sweet mouth was trembling and wet from her tears as well. Groaning Max lowered his head and gave Liz the first taste of the real passion he’d been holding back from her.

He opened his mouth over her hot one and when she sighed he let his tongue slip in between her lips and when she gasped at the deeper kiss, he slid his tongue in even further.

Liz, after the initial surprised, groaned and opened her mouth to allow Max full access to hers.

Both of them clung to each other and fed off of each other’s pain and love as they shared their first passionate kiss.

Nancy Parker reached for Diane Evans’ hand and squeezed it in pain as they saw the kids. They had come around the house to call them and found them locked in a desperate kiss filled with both pain and passion.

“Oh God Nancy, how can we do this to them?” Diane said hoarsely, feeling their pain.

“You have no choice. Don’t beat yourself up over it. Come on. Let’s give them a few more minutes.” Nancy said softly and the two women went back around the house sadly.

“I’ll wait for you Max.” Liz trembled against him as their lips parted.

“I’ll be back for you Liz.” He promised and thought he would burst from the love and passion they’d just poured into that kiss.

Liz snuggled up closer to Max still not ready to give him up, when she felt something against her stomach. At first she froze, and then her own body called to Max’s.

Max stiffened as well when Liz brushed up against his betraying flesh, but when she looked up at him with eyes that had darkened with knowledge and passion, Max groaned and took her mouth again.

When he finally pulled away from this kiss he knew he had to go. It was either go or drag Liz up to his room and do some of the things he’d only dreamed about with her.

Liz cried out when Max tried to step away from her.

“Liz.” He said softly and bent his head down to meet her eyes. “If I don’t go I’ll drag you up to my room and then I’ll never let you go.” He told her honestly.

Liz bit her lip to keep from crying out that she didn’t care, but only nodded. She couldn’t continue to make Max feel worse. He had to go. She needed to be brave for him now.

Liz stepped back, wiped at her eyes and blinding him with a bright smile, she tugged him back around to the front of the house.

*******

Kyle watched Tess as she stared at him through the window of their car. Why did he feel like he’d suddenly lost something he’d just found? He frowned to himself.

Tess watched Kyle and thought she saw a second of something in his eyes as he’d looked at her, but she was sure she’d just imagined it. She had to face the fact that to Kyle she was just s good friend and always would be.

By the time she came back, she figured Kyle would be Captain of the Roswell High football team and have at least one cheerleader girlfriend on his arm. He was so good in sports, and loved them more than he loved anything else right now, but she knew in a few years that girls would become just as important, if not more, and she mourned not being there when that happened.

Alex watched Isabel as she waved goodbye to all of them. He held back his own sigh as he realized that Isabel was going to come back as one beautiful woman and probably have more than one boyfriend calling her when she returned. He knew she’d never seen him as more than a good friend all these years, but he’d always hoped that one day she would see past the ‘good friend’ and find the guy who’s heart she didn’t even know she held.

Isabel smiled at the sad look on Alex’s face and wondered about the way he stared at her for a second. Did she see something more there for a second? No? She was imagining it. Alex only saw her as a good friend. Alex wasn’t interested in girls. He just hung out with all of them in a group and loved his computer and guitar and music. There was no love interest that she knew of in Alex’s life and never had been. He, like Kyle just wasn’t interested in girls yet. She guessed. Too bad she thought, I would have loved to have been there when you finally noticed girls Alex. She said to herself.

Everyone turned to watch as Max and Liz hand in hand slowly approached the car. Maria swallowed her own tears as she watched Max and Liz’s hands slowly slide away from each others as Max moved toward the car. She saw how their eyes never looked away, even as Max got into the car and it started to back out.

Michael watched his best friend leave and remembered the last words they had shared.

“What over Liz for me. Keep her safe until I return.” Max had asked of Michael.

Michael had only nodded. He didn’t totally understand their bond, but he knew there was no question that he would take care of Liz for Max.

Max, his eyes still on Liz as they pulled out of the driveway sent her one last look and placed his hand over his heart, showing her his half of the heart ring he’d made for them to each wear on their right index finger.

Liz swallowed and did the same, showing him the other half of the heart ring he’d made. She mouthed the words ‘I love you’ and saw Max mouth back ‘Forever’. And then they were gone.

Two Years Later

Liz lay cured up on her balcony writing in her journal. Every night she would write how she felt or what had happened, and then send Max and e-mail with everything important in it.

They kept in touch daily, and hadn’t missed a day of e-mail in the two years he’d been gone.

In the beginning, when Max had first left, they’d been allowed to call each other once a week each, but now that they had both turned 16, they had started working just to earn enough money to call each other more often.

Liz looked up at the stars when she finished writing in her journal and sighed. She missed Max so much. It was like a part of her was missing and wouldn’t be fulfilled until he was back in Roswell with her.

One more year Liz. She reminded herself as she did every night.

She heard a knock on her bedroom door and tucked her head back into her room to call out to whoever it was.

Michael peeked his head in and then grinning came the rest of the way in and joined Liz out on the roof. “Thought you might be out here. Maria was on the phone for you. I told her you were probably out here and that you’d call her when you finished your nightly ritual.” He teased her pointing to her journal.

Liz smiled and swatted him playfully as he sat on one the other lounge chair she had out there.

Almost two years ago, right after the Evans had left, Michael had become a permanent resident in the Parker house. Jeff and Nancy had taken him away from his foster father Hank, and taken over his foster care.

Liz remembered the day Michael had come into the Crashdown and had tried to hide his face, but hadn’t been able to, and her dad had seen the bruise and called him on it.

Once they realized Hank had started beating on Michael, they’d taken him in. And now, in only a few days, the total adoption would be complete. They had talked with Michael and told him what they would like to do last year, and he’d agreed. At first he’d been too overwhelmed with emotion to even answer them, but then he’d agreed with tears in his eyes that he would deny to this day if anyone mentioned it.

“Maria probably just wants to tell me about her date with Paulie, Kyle’s friend.” Liz smiled and pretended to be putting away her journal instead of watching Michael’s expression.

She tried not to laugh at the frown on his face. “That guy is trouble! Why does she always go out with losers.” Michael grumbled.

Liz bit her lip to keep from laughing and just shrugged. “Maybe cause the right guy hasn’t asked her yet.” She answered innocently.

Maria was still crazy about Michael but he continued to treat her like a friend. He used his alien difference as and excuse not to get involved with any girls. He remained, for the most part, date free.

Liz and Maria had started ‘Operation Michael’ about 6 months ago, having Maria start dating other guys and then sharing the stories with Liz, so that Michael would also get the scoop. So far, Liz thought it was working. Michael got more and more agitated every time Maria went out with someone else.

“I’m surprised she hasn’t tried to talk you into going out on a double date with her.” Michael said.

Liz’s left hand automatically started playing with the ring on her right hand. Anytime someone mentioned her dating or Max; she automatically reached for the ring. It soothed her when she was missing him.

Michael saw the familiar gesture and ruffled her hair but looked at her seriously. “He’ll be back soon little one.” Michael said gently.

Liz smiled up at Michael thanking him with her eyes for his understanding.

**********

“Hey Maria!” Kyle called out as he came across the quad to meet up with the group at their usual lunch table.

Maria and Alex were waiting for the others and looked up when Kyle came over.

“So? How was your date with Paulie?” Kyle asked. He had told her to give Paulie a chance since he knew the guy from his football team and thought he was half way decent for a jock.

“He was nice.” Maria smiled at her friend.

“Nice? Hmmm…that bad huh?” Kyle smiled ruefully and plunked down his tray of food.

“Face it Valenti, there’s only one guy for our Maria and he’s too dense to see it.” Alex grinned and elbowed Maria lightly.

Maria blushed and ducked her head. “That’s a hopeless cause.” She sighed.

“And speaking of the helpless cause.” Kyle said under his breath as Michael came over.

“Guerin…ah, or should I now call you Parker?” Alex asked with a smile. He knew how thrilled Michael was secretly, about the whole adoption thing.

“Just don’t call me late for supper Whitman.” Michael joked as he too grinned at the idea of soon becoming a Parker for real.

“Hi Maria.” A voice said from behind her and she turned to find Paulie smiling down at her.

“Oh hey Paulie.” Maria smiled back. He really had been a nice guy last night and funny.

“I wanted to know if you wanted to go to the dance with me Friday night?” he asked a little shyly.

Michael made a light snorting sound that Maria ignored but was secretly thrilled about. “Sure Paulie.” Maria answered. Why not? He was a nice guy and she didn’t have any other plans. But she would make sure she let Paulie know that they could only be friends. She didn’t want to lead him on; he was too nice for that.

Paulie went off smiling and Kyle and Alex exchanged amused looks. Maria just gave them a warning look not to say anything.

“Hey guys.” Liz said coming up to the table and setting her food tray down.

“Hey Liz, Paulie just asked Maria to the dance.” Alex grinned and shared a knowing look with her. Letting her know that her plan to make Michael jealous might just be working.

Liz smiled. “Oh Maria that’s great. He’s such a nice guy.”

"Thanks. You're going to the dance too aren't you Liz? With your usual escorts here, Michael, Alex or Kyle?" she asked hopefully. Liz hadn't gone to too many of the dances over the last two years, but when she did, she usually went with one of their friends.

"I'll take you Liz if you want to go." Alex offered. "I think Kyle is going to be going with his new girlfriend of the week." Alex teased his friend.

"Hey, I date them for more than a week sometimes." Kyle defended himself.

"Really? Who?" Maria added.

"Ah.... Danielle. Last year I dated her for two weeks." Kyle replied with a smile.

"You heart breaker you." Liz teased and winked at him.

"Look who's talking babe, how many REAL dates have you turned down?" Kyle asked Liz.

Liz reached to play with her ring as she answered Kyle. "I don't give anyone false hope Valenti. They all know where I stand and if they ask me they know I'll say no." Liz defended.

Kyle watched Liz twist her ring and was sorry he'd teased her. Just mentioning Max usually got Liz into a quiet reflective mood.

Maria gave Kyle a deadly look as she too noticed Liz get thoughtful and sad, and Kyle slunk down in his seat knowing he deserved it.

"Sorry Liz. You know he'll be back for you real soon babe right?" Kyle tried to cheer her up.

Liz smiled seeing all of them looking at her carefully. They were worried about her and hated when she got really quiet. "Yeah, I know Kyle. I'll be fine. I'll wait forever if I have to." Liz told them.

"But you won't have to. You KNOW Max will be on the first plane out here next year as soon as their dad gets transferred back." Maria smiled at her love sick friend.

"I know." Liz smiled thinking of the last time she'd talked to Max and he'd promised her that.

"Well you can have two dates for Friday's dance then Liz, cause I'll go with you too." Michael offered as well.

They all looked at Michael in surprise. Usually if Alex or Kyle couldn't take Liz someplace she wanted to go, then Michael would, but he never offered to go to a dance on his own.

"What? Can't I want to make sure my little sister is okay at the dance? That no one harasses her? You know Steve and his friends will probably be there." Michael threw up his hands in defense.

Liz tried not to smile at Maria who was thoughtfully looking down trying not to get her hopes up that he was going to keep an eye on her as well.

"Thanks Michael, I think I'll take both of you up on it this time" Liz smiled at the two guys.

*********************

Later that night Maria and Liz were walking back from the library and cutting across one of the back alley's when three large shadows came out from behind a dumpster.

"Well...well.... What have we here? Two lovely little ladies." One of the men grinned.

Maria and Liz looked at each other and then at the three men they didn't recognize. They looked to be in their twenties and pretty drunk from the way they swayed and leered at them.

"Excuse us." Maria tried and started to go around the three.

One of them laughed and the other two each grabbed one of the girls. "Oooh this one is a cute little thing and she smells so sweet." The one who had Liz exclaimed and held her tighter to him.

Liz struggled to no avail and looked around for some sort of help. There was no one in sight.

Maria got an elbow into her captor's stomach before he slapped her and quieted her. "This one's a feisty bitch but I like that." Her captor said with a low voice near her ear.

Maria shrieked at the guy and tried again to get free.

It didn't hit Liz that they were in serious trouble until the third guy went to watch one end of the alley and the other one pushed Maria to the ground.

"Hurry it up guys, I want my turn." the guy on lookout hissed out down the alley.

Liz felt herself being pinned to the ground and wet lips land on her neck. She suddenly stiffened and realized that it was up to her and Maria to get out of this somehow.

She closed her eyes and prayed that somehow the guy would get off of her. She didn't care how, only that he did. She tried to visualize him being thrown back against the wall behind him and she smiled at the thought.

Her eyes flew open when the man was suddenly no longer on top of her. Liz looked to see the man fly through the air on his own and land against the wall as she'd envisioned.

Liz froze as she stared at what had just happened. But before she could move, or the guy could get up, they heard a shout at the end of the alley.

"HEY!"

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.