FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Inside My Heart"
Part 16
by Linda
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Liz’s Grandma was the first person near the Crash sight in 1947. What if she helped a wounded alien hide the pods and agreed to protect them? What if she knew the story of their past lives and how important they were to their planet? What if there were FIVE pods, only one was slightly damaged and opened six years earlier then the others were supposed to open, making this podster an infant when they emerged from the pod?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Other than the ship landing with the pods in 1947, everything else is my version of Roswell. Which means, among other things, that NOTHING in season 2 happened!!! Dedication: I also have to thank my buddies Lyn (LaHelton4@aol.com) and Mel (LizParkerEvans@aol.com) for helping me get this story started and giving me not only feedback, but help with the ideas for this story. And to my wonderful friend Anne M. (luv2luvmax@yahoo.com) for all her encouragement and support.
It took Michael a second to assess the situation. Liz was just starting to sit up as if in a daze, but Maria was still pinned under one of the guys who had just looked up at the shout he’d given.

Michael’s eyes narrowed in on the man on top of Maria and he charged. “BASTARD!” he hissed as he approached the guy who was now standing and trying to back up.

Michael tackled the guy and the two fought. Then the other two men ran toward Michael and their friend and they Michael up.

Liz and Maria held their breaths as the two friends held Michael while the one he’d beaten started hitting him.

Liz and Maria simultaneously jumped on the two men holding Michael and clawed at them. They distracted the men long enough to give Michael a chance to get free. Then they were both thrown off of their attackers like they were just annoying bugs.

Michael realized he couldn’t fight all three of them and win, and he knew that if he were knocked out they would probably still go after Maria and Liz. Without thinking of the consequences, only thinking of saving the girls, Michael put up a hand and sent all three guys flying backwards into the dumpster as they approached him. He was shocked, but pleased with how well that had worked.

When the three guys, just as shocked, got up, they decided that too many strange things were happening and they bolted.

Liz sighed and crawled over to Maria who hadn’t moved since the one guy had thrown her off of him.

Michael saw this as well and he too ran to Maria’s still form and knelt down to check her out.

He swore when he saw the bruise already showing on her cheek. He felt her head and arms and legs for anything broken and called her name as she started to come to.

“Maria? Come one honey, talk to us.” Michael pleaded. He glanced at Liz who sat next to him holding Maria’s hand. “You okay Little one?” he asked looking her over.

Liz nodded and then focused on Maria as she opened her eyes. “Maria? Are you okay?”

Maria tried to sit up but Michael held her down. “Don’t move until I’ve made sure nothing’s broken.” He ordered.

Maria sighed and waited. No sense arguing with him when her head was killing her. When Michael sat back she met his eyes.

“Am I okay now Space Doctor?” she smiled trying to ease the worry on both Liz and Michael’s faces.

“Come on, let’s get out of here. We’ll talk at the Crashdown.” Michael said and helped Maria up.

Maria moaned and held her head swaying a little as she stood and then felt the world start to spin when Michael lifted her up and carried her.

Liz followed. Her mind in shock as she tried to digest all that had just happened. What had she done!? How had she done that?! She needed to talk to Max. She needed to tell Michael.

**********

Max dragged his feet up the stairs and to his room. He shut the door leaned against it for a minute and closing his eyes, he sighed. God he missed Liz!

He suddenly rubbed his temple in shock. He’d never experienced a headache before so this caught him completely off guard. Then he dismissed it thinking it was because what had happened earlier and that he must just be really angry.

Max could still hear Isabel’s cheerleading friends laughing downstairs and he pushed away from the door and headed for the bed.

Peggy Delanie had never tried to hide her interest in Max, but tonight she had cornered him, thrown herself at him, and catching him completely off guard, she had kissed him.

Max had frozen and pushed her away in disgust.

He threw himself on his bed and grabbed the picture he had of Liz by his nightstand and held it to his heart. He ignored the sudden body aches he felt and thought of what had just happened downstairs.

He could still hear Peggy’s words in his ears. “Come on Max! You’re almost a man and you can’t tell me you don’t need a woman! I can give you the experience that you can then bring to this ‘girlfriend’ you’re mooning over.” She had said in a whisper.

Max looked at Liz’s picture again and saw the beautiful 16-year-old she’d become six months ago, and his heart and body cried out for her. She was smiling at him in the picture and he knew it was a smile she reserved only for him. He grinned and his stomach did a flip as he remembered the only thing she’d asked of him for her 16th birthday. He had blushed at first, but then had felt good as he’d wrapped up one of his t-shirts, unwashed, and sent it to her. He wished he could have been in the shirt when it arrived at Liz’s, but he told himself it wouldn’t be long now before he was with her forever. He was working overtime at work after school and saving for the visit he hoped to take out to New Mexico soon. He was going to surprise her and he couldn’t wait. ***********************

Liz finished drying her hair and throwing the huge t-shirt of Max’s over her, she crawled into bed and reached for her phone.

She felt a sudden sharp pain in her head, but when it went away as quickly as it had some, she figured it was just all that had happened.

Michael had taken Maria home after they had made sure she was okay, and Liz couldn’t wait any longer to talk about what had happened. She would talk to Michael in the morning, but right now she needed to talk to Max. She needed to hear his voice and to hear his thoughts on all of this.

She held the phone to her ear but didn’t dial. What if Max had changed her somehow when he’d saved her? She didn’t know for sure. Could she tell Max that that might have been what happened and make him feel guilty when she wasn’t sure that was the truth? She bit her lip.

Liz started to go through all the things she knew and took out a piece of paper and wrote it all down.

As she wrote, she suddenly felt achy all over and again just dismissed it as nerves and maybe pain from when the man had thrown her to the ground in the alley.

When she finished the list, she frowned. She had written down the possibilities of what could have caused her to do what she’d done to that man, and put two possible reasons.

She looked at the side that said… “Max changed me?” and saw only a few things on that side of the list.

Then she looked at the other list and saw the accumulating facts that might or might not add up. “I’m like them.” Was on the other side.

She thought of all the small things she’d been able to do since she was younger. Like just touching someone she could get their thoughts or know if they were telling the truth. Also, she never got sick. Food had always tasted bland and Michael had made her try Tabasco and she liked it, and she too was adopted.

It wasn’t too long of a list, but it still fit with a lot of what the others had in common. She wanted to make sure before she called Max and worried him with thinking he’d done something to her.

With her decision made, she picked up the phone again and dialed a number.

“Grandma?” she said when it was answered.

**********************

Michael tiptoed quietly through the apartment not wanting to wake anyone when he finally got back from dropping off Maria. He passed by Liz’s door but didn’t see any light under it. He figured she could be out on her balcony, so he knocked lightly.

When he got no answer he went on to his room. Liz had probably talked to Max about the attack and gone to sleep. He would talk to her in the morning.

Liz lie on her bed in a curled up position hoping Michael would think she was asleep and go to his own room. Right now she had too much on her mind to talk to anyone.

Her talk with her grandma had pretty much confirmed her suspicions. Even though her grandma hadn’t told her anything specific over the phone, just the fact that she had told Liz to promise not to say anything to anyone until she got on the next plane out and came there, told Liz enough. Her Grandma wasn’t surprised and she wanted to talk to Liz before Liz talked to anyone else. She had promised not to talk to Max or Michael or anyone, but she knew it wasn’t going to be easy. She wanted so badly to talk to Max, but she had to wait until she heard it all from her grandma. And when she had sounded like she wouldn’t wait to tell Max, Claudia had warned Liz that Max and all of them could be in danger if she said anything just yet. That had convinced her to wait until she talked with her grandma.

*************

Claudia’s cab pulled up in front of the Crashdown about 18 hours after she had talked with Liz. She had gotten a flight out immediately and had been traveling since. Her own thoughts were all over. Was it time to tell them all? She knew she had to tell Liz, but she wasn’t sure about the rest. She needed to know more about what had happened the other night in the alley.

Liz was at the counter when Claudia came through the door. They just stared at each other for a second. Claudia wondered if Liz was going to hate her for her silence all these years.

Finally Liz sighed and came toward her grandma and Claudia held open her arms for Liz to fold herself into them.

“Grandma.” Liz just whispered and Claudia knew the girl needed answers immediately. She could tell from Liz’s face that she hadn’t slept either since she had called, and that she had worried about it all day.

“Come on, let’s go for a walk in the park.” Claudia said and wrapping her arm around her granddaughter, they headed out.

“What about your bag?” Liz asked with a worried glance at the bag just sitting inside the door.

“It will be fine. Come on.” Claudia assured her.

“But what if mom or dad see it? Won’t they worry where you are and why you came?” she asked.

Claudia met Liz’s eyes and answered. “They already know. I called from the airport.”

Liz realized then that her parents knew all of it. Whatever it was, her parents had known too. She didn’t know what to say. She was just so confused that she nodded and waited until they got to the park to ask anymore questions.

*****************

Liz stared down at the special book her grandma had shown her only once before and now knew everything. She was an alien, just like Max and the others. And she was not only an alien, but also an alien Queen and Max was her mate from their previous life.

Liz sat quietly trying to absorb all that she had learned in the last two hours.

Claudia sat and watched the girl, her heart going out to her. She knew that it was a lot for Liz to absorb but she hoped Liz could accept the fact that her parents and grandma had lied to her all these years.

A car door slamming made Claudia look up from Liz’s bent head to see Sheriff Valenti coming toward them. She didn’t like the look on his face.

“Claudia! Thank God you’re here. We’ve got real trouble.” Jim said looking totally exhausted and worried.

Claudia waited, bracing herself for the worst. The kids had been found out?

“I gather Liz told you about last night in the alley?” Jim Valenti began and saw Liz raise her head in surprise. She was wondering how he knew about it since none of them had reported it.

In answer to Liz’s questioning look and Claudia’s worried one, he continued. “Three guys came into the station this morning and told my deputy a nice long interesting story that my deputy just loved and couldn’t wait to share with me.”

Liz flinched. Oh God! The Sheriff knew now! Did he believe the crazy story the guys must have told?

“Did your deputy believe it?” Claudia tried to assess just how far this story had gotten.

“Enough to call the Feds, who have always asked to be kept informed of any strange occurrences that can’t be explained in this area.” Jim sighed and raked a hand through his hair showing just how upset he was.

Claudia turned pale and felt Liz gasped next to her. She put a comforting arm around the girl and met Jim’s eyes. “What is going to happen? Did they get a description of Michael?”

Jim glanced from Claudia to Liz and then back to Claudia. “It wasn’t just Michael they mentioned.” Jim looked grim.

“Oh my God.” Liz whispered and clenched the alien book to her. She was beginning to realize that the sheriff was also in on this secret and had been helping her grandmother for years.

“What can we do Jim?” Claudia swallowed trying to stay calm.

“Well, the three guys were told to stay in the area by my deputy since he knew the FBI would want to talk to them. Then the FBI called me a little while ago and told me they were going to get the three men to do a sketch of the two teens and that they were bringing a sketch artist with them.”

Claudia gasped and then released her breath slowly. “So the three men didn’t identify Liz or Michael enough so that anyone at the station would recognize them right away?” Claudia hoped.

Jim nodded. “I think Deputy Hanson was about to ask them for the description when I came into the station and called them into my office at that point. But I knew who it was as soon as they described the kids.” Jim raked his hand through his hair again.

“What can we do Jim?” Claudia asked again, thinking he had to have some plan.

“All I can think of is to try to convince the three guys that it would be in their best interest to leave town before the feds got a hold of them and made them a laughing stock and interrogate them for who knows how many days.” He replied.

Claudia nodded. “Do you think it will work? Do you know where they’re staying?”

“Yeah, I’m on my way over there right now. Let’s just hope it works. If not, I had to let you know what was up since I went to Jeff right away and he told me you were here.” Jim explained and started walking toward his truck. “I’ll let you know how it goes.” He promised and left.

Liz had been quiet during the whole exchange and now realized the danger that she and Michael could be in, and why her grandmother had said it might be a good idea not to tell anyone about her just yet. Especially Max and his family since they were out of harms way in California.

“What are we going to do Grandma? We have to tell Michael. And Max will know something is wrong. He can sense when I’m upset.” Liz panicked. She didn’t want Max coming back into this mess and risk getting caught as well.

“Shhh… let’s wait and see what Jim Valenti finds out okay?” Claudia tried to soothe her granddaughter as they walked back toward home.

****************

Paul Davis again faced his superior with bad news.

“You’ve been watching that boy on and off for years and you couldn’t prevent him from letting his powers be exposed!?” Eric Steward shouted in frustration.

“Sir, it happened so fast. But we did managed to get a hold of the three men and get them to leave town.” Paul Davis tried to explain.

“But NOT before they managed to tell the Sheriff and not before the FEDS were called in!” Eric Stewart growled out and sat down heavily in his office chair.

“No one will believe them if they are gone. The Feds will have nothing and will leave.” The man named Davis replied.

“But now that the Feds have been called in, there will be an investigation and the feds will hang around asking questions for awhile, and we don’t know if those three men told the Sheriff enough of a description to help him ID the two teens!” Eric Steward went on. Then he started pacing again.

“We FINALLY find the one we’re looking for, who has been under your noses all this time, and now she’s going to be surrounded by the FBI. And I’m sure that this will also bring Kivar and his people into it finally. They have been searching for years with no luck but now we’ve handed those kids over to them without any effort!” Mr. Stewart shouted again and then slumped down in his chair. “We have to do something and do it soon!”

******************

Michael looked around at the Parker’s, Grandma Claudia and Liz and tried to digest all he’d just heard.

Liz was cuddled up in Nancy’s arms where she’d been since she and Claudia had gotten back from their talk.

Liz had taken one look at her mother’s fear and worry and had gone straight to her to let her know she didn’t hate her for the secret. In fact, she couldn’t love them more knowing they had taken her in and cared for her and loved her all these years even knowing who and what she was and how much trouble that could be for them later on. And how they had taken care of Michael since they had found out who he was as well. Liz knew she was lucky to have gotten such wonderful parents and such a special Grandma in Claudia.

Michael sat down heavily in one of the armchairs in the living room and raked a hand through is already messed hair. “God. I’ve endangered us all.” Was all he could say.

Claudia put a hand on his arm in comfort. “Michael you had no choice. You saved the girls from who knows what.” She reminded him gently.

“Michael, you did what you had to do. I for one am grateful that you were there for Liz and Maria.” Jeff added, trying to ease the guilt his son was feeling.

“Michael…I am to blame as well.” Liz said feeling just as guilty.

“You didn’t even know you had powers Liz! You are not to blame! I knew what might happen when I used my powers on those guys and I still did it.” Michael refused to let himself off the hook.

“Michael honey, are you really sorry you saved Liz and Maria?” Nancy said knowing what would make him stop beating himself up.

Michael looked up at that and then gave a rueful grin. Mrs. Parker always knew how to make him realize when he was being ridiculous.

Jeff went to answer the door when he heard the knock and they all held their breaths when Jim Valenti entered to tell them what the three men had decided to do.

“They’re not there.” He didn’t waste anytime telling them. “They and all of their stuff are just gone.” Jim said in surprise.

************

Max fell back on his bed and groaned. What the heck was wrong with him? He had been on edge all day, like he was going to go out of his skin. He needed something. His whole body was craving something and he didn’t know what it was. It had started sometime last night, right after the headache had started, and had only gotten worse over night and all day today.

His whole body was shaking and he felt all achy. He couldn’t even raise his limbs without feeling pain as if a heavy weight was on them. He hurt everywhere.

He hadn’t wanted to alarm his family, but he could see this wasn’t getting any better. He knew he also had a fever, and he was scared. Was he dying? Was this how they died?

*****************

“What do you mean they’re gone!? Did you talk to them?” Nancy asked.

“I mean they were gone when I got there. I don’t know what made them leave, but they were gone. Let’s just be glad. Now the FBI will have nothing to go on.” Jim sighed.

“Except you know they will still try to investigate while they are here.” Jeff frowned and paced.

“I’ll leave.” Michael said determinedly.

“What? Why? Know one suspects you with those men gone. If you leave that will just make them wonder when they come to town.” Claudia reminded the boy.

Michael realized she was right and he let out his breath in frustration. Then he looked over at Liz who had been quiet.

She looked funny. Michael frowned as he looked closely at her. “Liz?” he asked with real concern in his voice.

Nancy looked down at the quiet daughter still in her arms and realized how hot Liz felt. She looked her over and could see the glazed eyes, sick flushed face and then saw she had started to shake. “Liz? Oh My God Claudia! What’s going on?” Nancy exclaimed as Liz’s eyes rolled back into her head and she passed out.

Claudia felt the girl’s head and realized she was burning up. She too was frightened and at a loss. What was going on?

When the phone rang, Jeff went to get it, in a panic over what they could do to help his daughter.

“Mom…?” Jeff said in a strange voice.

Claudia turned to her son who held out the phone. “It’s… it’s the Evans. Something’s wrong with Max….

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.