FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"L'Etranger"
Part 5a
by Pilar
Disclaimer: All right, so here's the deal. Everything Dawson's Creek and Roswell is copyright the WB television network and various other people. Infringement is really, really not intended. Storyline is all mine, backstory is theirs, title is from Albert Camus' book of the same name, I think it fits...
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
The day moved quickly, Pacey and Joey drove around the outskirts of Roswell, only having to pull over and check the map a few times. He hadn't been lying about not having seen most of the sights around this town. And it was nice to have someone to both show them to and share them with.

They both were amazed by the beauty of the desert. Mid-afternoon, Pacey pulled off the road and drove down to the reservoir that Isabel had taken him to after his first day of school.

When he stopped the engine, Joey leaped from the Jeep and ran to the embankment. "Oh, my god! Pacey! Is this man-made? It's unreal..." He joined her at the water's edge.

"I know... The colors are just unreal, aren't they?" Ice blue water reflected the amber and tan monolith mesas and white clouds above them. Isabel had said something about it being like no place else on the planet, and he had to agree. He'd certainly never seen anything like it.

"Can we swim in it?" She moved closer to the edge and took off her sandals, sliding her feet into the cool, crystal water. "Man, it's so clear..."

"I didn't see any signs, I don't see why not?" He looked around them, still seeing nothing. And no one around for miles, it seemed. But what else was new, they'd hardly seen other cars around them once they got far enough out of town. "What were you planning on swimming in, my dear?"

"Don't get your hopes up too high, Pacey... my underwear and this tank top will do just fine. And please tell me you have something on under those shorts..." Her loud cackle of laughter echoed off the mesas as she pulled off her shorts and slid into the clear water, diving underneath.

He followed in seconds later wearing nothing but a pair of light blue boxer shorts. Neither of them were going to fare very well when their little swim was over and it was time to dry off. Light colored cotton never did much to hide anything, especially when it was wet.

Joey dove under, he feet kicking water into his face, he was about to follow her under when she pulled hard on his legs, dragging him under with her. He pushed her sharply away and dove deeper, trying to pull the same trick on her. It didn't work, she was far too fast for him. Having that creek behind her house did wonders for her swimming.

She swam circles around him and taunted him mercilessly. Their laughter filled the swimming hole.

When she had tired him out to the point of hardly being able to breathe, he pulled himself from the water and laid face down on the rock shore, his skin drying in the warmth of the sun. She swam around some more then joined him, laying beside him.

"So what's next? Where to, tour guide?" Her golden skin shimmered in the sunlight and he could see directly through her yellow panties.

His tongue inched over his lips, he could hardly help staring at her.

"Huh?" Whatever she had said had gone in one ear and directly out the preoccupied other.

"I asked what you had planned for us next... It's still early, only two o'clock." She rolled over onto her stomach, thank the lord.

"Well, I figured we'd dry off for a while and then I promised some..." he hesitated hopefully inperceptibly, "friends I'd meet them down at this cafe in town. If that sounds okay?" He cringed inwardly, not looking forward to this meeting between Joey and Maria. He didn't know how to pose this to either of them. Not that he had any clue what this was.

"Sounds great, I can't wait to meet your new friends. Tell me about them..." Her eyes closed halfway and she smoothed her wet hair off of her face and into a knot.

"Well, I don't know them all that well yet, but I can give you the Reader's Digest abridged versions."

"Shoot." He watched the cotton dry in patches.

"Well, let's see... First off, there's Alex, he's probably the person I've gotten to know the most. He's a damn nice guy, really friendly, a bit of a computer geek and he's got the most ridiculous crush on this chick Isabel Evans."

"Is that the girl who you went out on a date with?" There was no flinch in her voice whatsoever, and no tell tale signs of anything on her face. Damn her.

"Kinda, but it never really got that far, we hung out here one afternoon and then I found out that Alex was head over heels for her so I backed off. Besides, we really didn't hit it off so well."

"Why not? What's wrong with her?" Joey squinted at him through her long, black lashes.

"Nothing, I mean she's super-hot, actually. But she and her brother are both kinda odd. There's just something off about them. Besides, Alex is deep into her, and he's my first friend here, the last thing I want to do is step on him this early in the game, you know? And she's kinda a bitch, you should see how she leads him on." Pacey rolled onto his back, the sun wasn't going to dry him if he pretended that his front didn't exist.

"All right, tell me more." Joey sat up and shook out her hair. Pacey tried not to stare at her, her nipples stood out in high relief, fighting against the tight, red fabric. Jesus H. Christ, don't get a fucking hard-on, you tool.

"Okay, who's next? Oh, Max and Liz... Max is Isabel's brother and Liz is his girlfriend. They're both retardly into science and have these disconcertingly soft, calm voices. I think they're due to spontaneously and simultaneously combust any minute now." He stopped to laugh, seeing that scene in his mind. Which was good, since it took his mind off of Joey and those damn nipples.

"Actually, they're both all right, but all of them have this untouchable vibe going on. I mean, they're all nice enough, except Michael Guerin -- he's a complete prick, but I always feel like I've missed part of the conversation. You know what I mean?" He looked back over at her and she nodded her head.

"And Michael Guerin is?" She moved to lay on her side, her arm accidentally brushing his. His hair stood up on end and he moved away slowly. At this moment, any contact was too much contact. Damnit, she just got off the plane yesterday and it wasn't like it had been ages since he'd been laid.

But this wasn't laid, this was Joey Potter.

"He's nobody, just this asshole who has something out for me. Doesn't even make any sense, since it started before--" He cut himself off and it was obvious. Joey's attention was peaked.

"Before..." She goaded.

"Um, before I started kinda seeing his ex-girlfriend." He made a small face at her, embarrassed about the omission and still wishing that he'd kept it out. "I'm sorry, Jo, I should have told you about her earlier, it's just that -- it's really not that big of a deal." The hole he was digging seemed to get bigger with every word, but damn, his foot tasted good in there.

"Pacey! Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend? I think it's great!" She seemed honestly happy and he didn't know what to do with that at all.

"She's not really my girlfriend. I mean she's a girl and she's my friend and we've been fooling around a bit, but... I don't think she's my girlfriend. It's just not serious like that." He didn't even really know why he was explaining himself, it was just that... he had no clue.

"So do I get to meet her, too?" She rolled even closer to him, her smile widening on her face.

Why was it that no matter what she said, he was more confused than he had ever been before? Pacey scratched at his almost dry hair and let out a long sigh. "Yeah, she works at The Crashdown." He was beginning to dread this meeting even more than he had already been, and it had nothing to do with either girl in particular; he was worried about himself.

"Yay!" She poked him in the ribs and stood up, walking over to the pile of their clothes at the edge of the reservoir. "Panties dry yet, Pacey?" She said flirtatiously, he could tell she knew full well everything he was thinking. The bitch.

He stood and smiled genuinely, joining her at the pile of garments. "You're such a bitch."

"Don't give me that, you love it when I flirt viciously with you, Pacey." She stood so close that he could feel the heat radiate off her body, finally near dry. "Besides, you're the one who's so nervous about this girlfriend of yours..." Her voice lowered and she inched even closer, her nipples just brushing his chest. "Did you think I would be jealous?" She said in a breathy whisper.

He could feel the blush spread across his cheeks. Moving backwards, he lifted his shorts off the rock and began to pull them on, practically tripping himself to the ground. Joey giggled.

He was even more embarrassed than ever. Now, not only did he have all these feelings for one of his best friends in the world, but he'd wrongly presumed that she had the same type of feelings for him, and to top it off, he was going to have to fake that nothing was wrong in front of Maria. And there was tons wrong. He shook his head walking back to the Jeep.

"Aw, Pacey... I was just teasing you." Joey leaned over the driver's side and nuzzled his neck with her cheek. "Truth is, I am kinda bummed that you're seeing this girl, even if it isn't serious like you say. But, I didn't come all the way out here to test the boundaries of our relationship. I came out here to see you. Anything else would have just been a byproduct, and a bonus." She smiled brightly and kissed him on the cheek, tossing her sandals into the backseat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They pulled up to the curb and he set the Jeep into park.

There it is, the damned Crashdown Cafe, site of what would probably be the most uncomfortable hour plus he'd had in a while. The slick Pacey Witter that these people had met had his tail deep between his legs.

But it was still early-ish. They'd be able to grab a soda before anyone even got here.

Pacey led Joey to a booth and they slid in across from each other. It was better that way, if they'd been even ten minutes later he might have to sit next to her and talk to Maria at the same time and there was no way he would be able to stop thinking about Joey's skin touching his.

And Maria would be able to tell. Ugh. This was just plain awful. The thing was, he didn't even think for a second about it before he saw Joey standing on the edge of that damn curb. He mentally damned himself repeatedly. Then, one right after another, as if cued from off-set, they entered and waved at him, joining he and Joey at the table.

Alex pulled over a smaller table and added it to the end of the booth sitting beside Isabel who slid in next to Joey and introduced herself. Max and Liz on his side. Maria winked and walked straight to the back to get changed.

Michael Guerin followed behind her, eyes shifted and angry. But, what else was new?

The introductions went around the table all friendly like. Everything was normal. Pacey was sweating like a bitch.

Cool arms rounded his neck from behind and he smelled the familiar scent of Maria's perfumed oils. She kissed him on the cheek, bit the lobe of his ear and whispered.

"So, this must be her... Pretty..." He knew she was being a bit of an actress, and he could hardly help but play along. Just a little bit.

He turned into her arms slightly, the volume of his voice hardly more than a breath of air. "Yup. Great rack, too..." Then turning back to the table, all of whom had watched the little display with amusement. "Maria Deluca, Joey Potter."

Joey's mouth stretched into a wide smile. "It's a pleasure, Pacey's been telling me all about you." That bitch. She really knew how to make him feel like a tool.

"Oh, really?" Maria looked down at him, he could feel his ears burning and the flush rising over his throat. "And what has he been saying?" She laughed and rounded the front of the table, order pad poised at ready.

"I shouldn't say, really." Joey winked, laying it on as thick as Maria had, as thick as he'd ever seen it. "Well, seeing as your ready, I'll have a chocolate milk shake and an order of fries, please."

The rest of the table ordered and Pacey just stared with his mouth hanging open until it was his turn. When she got around the table to him, he was only thinking about Joey's fucking foot playing at his ankle. That bitch.

"Hello?" Maria snapped her finger in front of his eyes. "Earth to Pacey... Come in..."

Shit. "Oh, sorry... Ummmm... A coke. Yeah."

Alex let out a guffaw. "All that thought for a coke? Nice..."

He ignored the conversation around him and allowed Joey to tell them all about herself, or as much as she wanted to tell them, that is. He was having a hard time thinking at all. This was all too much for him all at once. And it was stupid. If Joey wasn't even interested, he didn't know what he was thinking getting all wrapped up in making his own drama.

He should go check in with Maria, that's what he should do.

He excused himself as Maria walked towards the back, he caught up to her and grabbed at her wrist. "Hey."

"Hey yourself... What are you all wrapped up in today? Is it that hot, little number sitting across the table from you?" She nodded over at the table where Alex was paying far too much attention to Joey, much to Isabel's chagrin. Pacey felt a pang of protective jealously and let it slide down the back of his throat like ice.

"Maybe it's this hot, little number? You know how I feel about green polyester and that headband of yours." He slid his arm around her waist, glancing quickly over at the table. No one paid him any mind. No one at all.

She pulled him through the kitchen door and backed him up against a locker hard. Pacey's hands threaded through her hair and down her back as she plundered his mouth, her leg sliding up between his. Strangely, he found he was liking it rough. He couldn't help it. And there was something sexy about knowing that an hour earlier he'd been imagining scenarios like this with Joey, and now she was less than 30 feet away behind that door.

His hand traveled up her thigh and he remembered where he was.

Not that he had to remember for himself, he had Guerin to help that along just fine. Michael cleared his throat with a loud hack. When they parted, Maria smoothed down the front of her uniform and Michael stood between them and the door.

"You think you want to feed your customers anytime soon?" He had a smirk on his face. Maria walked towards him, ready to attack. Pacey watched his lips curl, slowly, and he distinctly heard Michael whisper. "Fucking whore."

Maria turned and slapped him in one easy motion, leaving his face expressionless. Then she walked directly out of the kitchen without looking back.

Pacey's mouth fell open. He backed Guerin into the kitchen, his chest puffed out and his chin up defiantly, challenging him. There was a sharp noise as his back hit the deep fryer.

"You know, Guerin. I've had more than enough of your bullshit. I don't know what your fucking problem is, but do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from me." Pacey inched closer, pinning Michael against the steel. "You're a miserable, little cocksucker, you jealous bitch."

Michael didn't say a word, his pupils pinning and muscles tense. Pacey knew they'd be a hard match, and he'd promised himself that he wouldn't let this piece of shit get under his skin. But he did.

They stood, challenging one another silently, their bodies closed in on each other's and the heat from the kitchen making them sweat. Finally, Pacey backed away, and with a swift move, threw his hand to Michael's throat and gripped his fingers.

"No more, Guerin." His words were slow and Michael made no move to counter-attack. He released his hand slowly and felt a blow toss him across the small kitchen. Pacey never saw him move.

"I told you to keep your strength up, Witter."

And that was it. No other words. Pacey got back to his feet and back out of the kitchen, staring down Michael the whole time. Their eyes didn't leave each other, the challenge still in the air between them. This wasn't the time or place for any of this.

Walking back out into the diner, he joined the rest at the table. Maria stood at the edge, her face still pale.

"You okay, Maria?"

"Yeah... I'm fine. Screw him, he's just a baby..."

The curiosity of the table was peaked, especially Joey's.

"What happened back there?" She indicated with her eyes in the direction of the kitchen, looking fleetingly towards Michael. Michael stood in the window, glaring at the entire table. Isabel and Max looked back sympathetically.

"Nothing." Pacey's face was red and the vein in his neck was pulsing uncontrollably. The taste in the back of his throat was threatening to make him vomit. He took a long sip off his coke and felt Maria's hand touch his cheek. "It's all right." He turned back to Jo, "You wanna get out of here?"

"Not really. Pacey, it's not like you to let some guy bother you like this... Just ignore it, we were having a good time."

Just like Joey to force him to be uncomfortable. When had she not? Pacey was getting more and more angry with everyone today. At Alex's refusal to take anything seriously, at Isabel's vindictive smirk, at Max's placid bullshit. All of it. Right now, he just wanted to be left alone. He didn't even know what had happened back there.

"Fine. Maria, will you get me another coke, please."

"Sure, doll." She smiled back at him, the moment still tense.

Pacey tried to shake it off, to forget all about Michael's bullshit and go back to just hanging out and letting everything just roll off his back. Maria wasn't letting him bother her, Joey let nothing bother her at all and chatted amiably with the group around her, and everything, slowly, returned to normal.

But Pacey could feel Michael's eyes burning into the back of his head. And remembered the feel of the blow that sent him backwards.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.