FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Love, Life, and True Destiny"
Part 9
by Anne
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them!
Summary: Max and Liz discover that their true destiny is with each other… Immediately after Surprise…Everything happened just like in the show up until this point, with the exception of the last 10 minutes with Isabel in the cave. Instead she went home and went to bed…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
“Max?” A voice called out, edging with worry. “Max, buddy…come on, wake up!”

Slowly Max lifted his heavy eyelids and looked up at the face looming above his own.

“Michael?” He asked with a groan in his voice as he slowly sat up.

“Careful…don’t hurt yourself. What happened?”

“Liz…” Max mumbled suddenly. “Where’s Liz? Is she okay?” He whirled around to see Isabel helping Liz sit up a few feet away.

“What happened to you?” Michael asked again, as he watched Max weakly crawl over to Liz. He reached her, and immediately took her face in his hands, looking deeply into her eyes.

“Are you okay?” Max asked frantically.

“I’m fine.” Liz groaned, leaning against him weakly. She placed her own hand on his cheek, trying to express with her eyes just how okay she was.

“What happened?” Isabel demanded.

“I don’t know.” Max responded a little too quickly. “But everything’s fine. We’re okay. That’s all that matters.”

“But what if it was the skins?” Michael shot back at him.

“It wasn’t.” Max insisted, before pushing himself to his feet with a groan, and helping Liz up. “Liz and I really should go rest. What are you guys doing here anyways?”

“We were just looking for a place to talk.” Isabel told him. “And you said that you and Liz found something here last night, so we thought we’d check it out. We found you two instead.”

Max headed towards the entrance of the cave and was shocked to discover it was night.

“How late is it?” He asked them.

“It’s, like, 8pm…why?”

“We’ve been out all day!” Liz gasped.

“What?” Isabel asked.

“We came here about an hour after I talked to you this morning, Isabel.” Max explained.

“Jeez!” Michael exclaimed. “Are you sure you guys are okay? Whatever hit you must have hit you hard.”

“We’re fine.” Max insisted. “Right now I just want to get home.”

“Are you strong enough to drive?” Isabel asked as she watched Max stumble slightly from exhaustion.

“He’s fine.” Liz told her. “Don’t worry about us…really.”

Isabel sighed. “Okay…whatever you say.”

She waited until Max and Liz were in the jeep, peeling away from the cliffs until Isabel turned to Michael.

“Something is going on with those two.”

“Yeah…and I don’t like it.” Michael agreed.

Max and Liz both stayed silent the whole drive back to Roswell. They were both exhausted, their energy drained, and they were lost in thought, trying to organize their thoughts and sort out the new memories stored in their minds right beside their old ones.

Max smiled as he felt Liz’s head snuggle into his shoulder, and listened as her breathing evened out to the steady rhythm that came with a deep slumber.

Liz woke up the next morning, and immediately smiled at the feeling of Max’s arms wrapped tightly around her. She snuggled closer to him, happily content to stay in bed with him forever.

Max always laughed at her, telling her that their marriage had made her grow lazy. Before they lived together, she would always be up at the crack of dawn, eager to start her day, but now she was content to lay in as late as possible. Anything as long as his arms were around her.

Liz sat straight up in bed, startled. The sudden movement knocked Max awake, and he stared up at her, concern etched across his otherwise groggy face.

“What is it?” He asked absorbing the startled look on her face. “Are you okay, honey?”

“I just…I’m sorry for waking you up.”

“You know it’s okay. Tell me what’s wrong, love?”

“I woke up, and all I could think about was how wonderful it is that we’re married and can wake up together whenever we want…and then I remembered.”

“It’s okay, Liz.”

“It just scared me for a moment, Max. Is this the way it’s going to be from now on? For a moment I didn’t even feel like me…this life just wasn’t there, and it felt natural, until everything came flying back.”

“I don’t know, but I think…we’ve just got all this new stuff in our minds, and we’re still adjusting to it. Right now I think we’re going to be going through a lot of changes, as we meld who we were with who we are. I think it’s going to be a little scary, Liz. But we’re going to do it together, and we’ll come out stronger in the end.”

“You’re right… I know you’re right. It was just…weird.”

“Yeah, I know. Come here…” Max whispered, pulling her back into his arms. They just lay there for a while, silent, just feeling each other, where their bodies were pressed together. It felt so right…they were so complete together.

“Do you…remember everything, Liz?” Max asked suddenly.

“Yes.” She whispered.

“Our wedding?”

“It was beautiful…we were married out on the bluff over the ocean a few miles from the palace. Everyone was there.”

“And then that night you were publicly crowned my queen in front of all the people, and they were so happy. They adored you, almost as much as I do.”

“We have kids Max.” Liz whispered suddenly. “A boy and a girl…they were born just before the skins came, and everything changed. I just remember looking at them for the first time, and crying because I was so happy, and then just as quickly, it was all taken away from us. The were hidden among the people so that the skins couldn’t find them. Do you think they’re still alive, Max?”

“Probably…” Max pondered. “They’d be older than us right now.” He laughed.

“Your mother said that our people are all slaves…does that mean that our children are slaves too?”

“Probably.” Max replied again angrily.

“We have to save them, Max. We were never given a chance in our last life to be a family with them…we have to try in this life.”

“We’ll save them, Liz. We’ll fight until our people are free, and even longer if necessary. We can do it.”

Max cupped Liz’s face in his hands as he spoke, and then his lips were on hers, sealing his promise with a sweet kiss. Liz’s arms went around his neck, deepening the kiss, as she snuggled into Max’s arms, head falling back to his pillow.

“I was right you know.” Max suddenly chuckled.

“About what?” Liz asked with a smile.

“Marrying me did make you lazy!”

Liz laughed, and smacked him playfully, while his lips locked with hers again in a passionate kiss, filled to the brim with the knowledge of how much he had loved this woman for not one, but two lives.

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.