FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Purple Passion"
Part 6
by Syndee Thomas
Disclaimer: The characters are THE WB'S.
Summary: Sequel to Crab Nebula in Taurus. Liz faints after Max questions her about a hickey that he suspects was put there by a shape-shifter pretending to be him.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Theme started in "Treasures Found"(CD Afterhours) and continues in order "Tess to TESS," "Reflections," "The Baby Nexus," and "Crab Nebula in Taurus."
The Parker's have really gone all out for this celebration, which includes employees and their families. There is tons of food and Mr. Parker and several of the cooks from The Crashdown are taking turns manning the grill, including Michael.

Any apprehension that the Human/Alien Alliance may have felt after this morning's strangeness and it's affect on the celebratory enjoyment diminishes once at the lake and amongst the festive atmosphere.

The realization that someone is watching them and that this stalker has been in close proximity at least twice today has everyone a little on edge.

Isabel, Alex and Teresa's body's are prone on a buoyed 12X12 Platform Float about 100 yards from shore.

"What do you suppose he's doing?" Isabel squints from the glare of the sun on the calm waters.

"Who sits in a boat in the middle of a lake with a fishing pole and a book for hours? Are there even any fish in this lake?" Alex addresses the girls not expecting an answer.

The sudden splashing and subsequent appearance of Kyle startle them as he throws a sealed plastic bag towards Alex before lifting himself onto the Platform.

"You scared the crap out of me." Teresa smiles up at Kyle as she places her hand across her heart to still it's pounding.

"I would have announced my approach but I had a plastic bag in my mouth." He kneels down beside her and quickly kisses her before turning to where Alex has removed a pair of binoculars from the plastic bag.

"What does he look like Alex?" Isabel leans back on her legs facing Alex with her back to the mysterious boatman.

"Thirtiesh with glasses and kind of nerdy." Alex exclaims as he lowers the binoculars and hands them to Kyle.

"Yea, that about sums him up, but he also has a pair of spy glasses hanging from his neck so he's trying to get a better look at something also.

Teresa is still laying face down and looking through the binoculars when a face appears close up, and in her line of view.

"Eeek." Teresa jumps and then rolls off the side of the Platform and into the water.

"Are you alright?" Max swims to her side and is helping her back onto the float.

"Yea," as she tries to catch her breathe after swallowing half the lake.

Max lifts himself onto the Platform in one fluid motion and adjusts his trunks before looking to the concerned faces of his friends.

"What?" He lifts a brow and splays his arms out in question.

"Ssh," Isabel grabs at his arm. "Sit down."

Kyle hands Max the binoculars, "We noticed him about two hours ago and we've been out here for about an hour.

"What's he doing?" Max asks as he places the glasses down.

"Not fishing, that's for sure." Alex informs the new comer.

"Who do you think he is?" Max queries no one in particular.

"A spy, an evil alien, another shape shifter take your pick." His sister's voice is panicked, as her eyes grow wide.

The sound of several Jet Ski's catches the group's attention and their gaze is focused on Liz approaching the Platform from around a distant cove and Michael with Maria as his passenger following close behind her.

Both Jet Ski's stop within a couple of feet of the Platform and cut the motors.

"Hey you guys, this is great. My dad rented about twelve of them but you have to go the dock about 2 miles away to pick them up." Liz yells to them.

"Liz don't look, but there's a lone boatman about ¼ of a mile away who's been stationary for two hours and he doesn't appear to be fishing." Max states abruptly.

"Here, take a look." Max hands her the binoculars.

"Liz looks through the glasses and the boatman looks familiar but she can't be sure. "I think I know him but it's been close to eight years since I've seen him. I can't be sure from this distance.

Liz hands the binoculars over to Maria, "Why don't we ride out there to get a better look. Michael and Maria can come with us. Just couples on Jet Ski's shouldn't alert him to us."

The couples maneuver the Jet Ski's closer and closer to the lone boatman. Convincingly portraying kids at play.

The boatman seems interested and at one point brings his binoculars to his eyes for a better look at the duo Jet Skis occupants. He seems to recognize Liz and discreetly gestures for her to come closer.

Max slows the Jet Ski angling it to within 4 feet of the boat so that Liz can get a better look at the boatman. The stranger holds out his palm as a signal to stop.

"Honey Bear, is that you?" The man's voice is low as that he doesn't want to appear as thought he's talking to the teens.

"John, John Nez - what are you doing out here?" Liz answers Max unspoken question as a lead in to an introduction. "My grandmothers assistant. This is my boyfriend Max."

John acknowledges the formidable young man's presence with a nod before returning his attention to Liz. "I remembered your family's annual 4th of July celebration didn't want to take a chance on coming to the house in case I was followed."

"Why would anyone be following you?" Liz's attention is drawn to Michael and Maria as they pull up beside them.

"It has something to do with an artifact that was found with the Ancient Pueblo find from the Chaco Canyons eight years ago. The bowl has symbols not of the Pueblo people and has been a mystery since it was cataloged." John's voice remains low and he casts his fishing line again and causally looks around for observers.

"I've been on the move for more than a week now, but I really need to talk to you about your grandmother's journal. Can we meet somewhere tomorrow? I'm staying with relatives at the Mescalero Reservation outside of Roswell."

"Sure, I know the reservation. We will meet you there tomorrow around 8PM." Liz tells John as she reaches for Max's hand.

John looks directly into the intense young man's eyes that haven't said a word but his interest is more than evident. "It's you, isn't it?"

Max starts the Jet Ski and pulls away from the boat and heads toward the Parker's dock with the other couple not far behind.

(Meanwhile back in Roswell at the Sheriffs Office)

"Sheriff, there's a reporter from The Atlanta-Roswell Review to see you." Deputy Hanson peeks into the Sheriff's office after a discreet courtesy knock.

"Did he say what he wants?" The Sheriff looks up from a pile of reports awaiting his signature.

"No, just that he's doing a story and would like to talk to you," he waits patiently for the Sheriff's answer.

The Sheriff looks over to where Mirror has been asleep but the puppy is wide-awake and growling.

The Sheriff has never liked reporters and he especially doesn't want one snooping around with everything that has been going on lately.

"Sure, I have a few minutes, send him in," he tells the hovering deputy.

The Sheriff has his back to the door as he goes over to where Mirror had laid peacefully most of the afternoon but is suddenly spooked. The dog is whimpering and cowering in the corner.

"Come here Mirror, did you have a bad dream?" The Sheriff stoops and reaches for the frightened puppy as she continues to back up and snarl showing small angry teeth.

He picks her up and can feel her small body tremble as she seeks the comfort and security of his arms. Soothing words and stroking does nothing to calm the canine.

The Sheriff is facing the window with Mirror cradled in his arms when he gets a flash of the bleakness described to him by the others of the enemy alien's reflective soul.

"Nice Police Dog you have there Sheriff," a voice with a southern accent laced with condescension states as he closes the door.

Jim Valenti calls on all his courage as a man and as a law enforcement officer before he can casually turn around and greet the owner of the voice and his first enemy alien.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.