FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Road Trip "
Part 17
by Christina D
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
"Permanently? You mean we're dead - dead ? No chance for escape?" Maria asked.

"Yeah. That's what I mean." Michael said, putting his hands on his hips.

"Oh God! Michael do you realize that no one even knows where we are? I mean, we never left any notes, and I kept meaning to call Liz, but I never did. As far as everyone is concerned, we've just disappeared. How are they going to find out? And my mom can hardly take care of her self. She needs me." She had began to cry again and this time she couldn't stop.

Michael was feeling guilty so he lashed out. "I don't know what you expect me to do, but if you want we can spend a whole lot of time discussing it because we'll be here for oh, I don't know, forever!" It came out sarcastic. Maria's cried even louder and he softened his tone. "Don't worry, I left a note for Max in our secret hiding place to let him know that you and I were coming here. I, uh figured you would say yes when I asked." Much more quietly, he muttered something under his breath.

"What did you say?" Maria asked despite the fact that she knew it was probably some bad remark directed at her.

Michael looked at her square in the face. "I said, this is all my fault. I didn't convince you quick enough. They said I had to convince you to leave and I couldn't get you to just come with me." He walked closer and took her into his arms. "And then I said that I could think of much worse ways to spend my afterlife. I can't believe this. We are dead! We just died and I can't even be upset because I am here with you. It makes no sense."

"Yeah?" she looked at him under hooded eyes. He nodded and she said "Ditto."

"Which part?"

"Both, I can't be upset because I'm with you. And, I can't think of a better way to spend my afterlife." He smiled and gave her a passionate kiss.

"That was nice," she said, her voice thick with tears, when he removed his lips from hers.

"So," he said, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "What kind of things do you think we can do in here?"

Maria's eyes narrowed and she carefully asked why.

"Well, because baby, "he stepped away and looked her up and down, " I have been having thoughts about you in that outfit all night!"

"Hey, haven't you learned your lesson? Hel-lo! We're dead because of that!" she said it trying to sound shocked. Then an uncontrollable smile broke out on her lips and she added, "but, you know, it would be quite a wonderful way to spend eternity. Besides, we'll need to do something, for entertainment purposes, of course. We will have to fill up time somehow, right?"

"I couldn't agree more, for entertainment purposes only." he smirked.

"Don't look at me like that!"

Michael feigned innocence. "Like what?"

"That look. That one that says your humoring me. God, even in death you can be so aggravating." She said and then she shivered. "Damn, it's cold in here."

"Well, why don't I just warm you up then?" Michael said. Maria nodded and opened her arms, welcoming him.

She closed her eyes and waited for Michael's strong, solid arms to embrace her but they never came. "Michael?" she called.

No answer.

She then opened her eyes to find that she was alone. She turned to see if he was behind her but he was gone. "No. Michael? where did you go?" she shook her head as if waiting to be let in on the joke. But no jokes came. He was truly gone.

"No, Michael don't leave me!" she said to the empty air, her cries ricocheting off of the dark walk. She walked backwards until her back was against the wall. Fresh tears broke out on her face and the sting of loss created a horrid pain that made her double over.

After the pain had subsided, she slid down the wall and sat once again with her arms wrapped around her knees. She said the same phrase over and over again. "Michael, don't leave me alone. Michael, don't leave me alone...."

*****

Michael spread his arms with every intent of wrapping them around Maria, but there was nothing where her body was supposed to be, and his arms ended up wrapping around himself instead. "What the fuck?" he cried, after opening his eyes to discover that Maria was in fact gone.

He looked around to discover that he wasn't even in the same room. He now stood alone in a white room with a green marbled floor. In one corner, there was a very large, very grand chair, made of green velvet and lined with gold. He stood in the center of the room before finally deciding to go sit in it. It was comfortable.

While sitting, he thought about Maria. *Maria? Are you there?* he tried calling with his mind but he knew she wouldn't be. He hasn't sensed her once since he had gotten there. *Wherever you are, remember I love you and I hope you're alright,* he sent with hopes that there might be a slight chance she would hear him.

He still felt nothing and that was when it hit him that he was truly alone and would be forever. He hung his head and began to weep.

"Michael," a voice said. He looked up sharply when he recognized it as none other than his best friend's. Sure enough, Max was there, standing in front of him.

"Max?"

Max smiled and said, "I'm not really Max. I am just using a body form you are familiar with."

"Who are you then? God?"

"Hardly," he said, giving one of Max's amused smirks.

Michael's eyes narrowed. "Where the hell is Maria? Why did I get taken away from her?"

"I needed to talk to you, to give you something, " the impostor Max stated, ignoring his first question.

"Give me what?" Michael asked suspiciously, crossing his arms over his chest.

"What do you want more than anything at this moment Michael?"

Michael didn't hesitate. "To be with Maria."

Impostor Max gave him a bewildered look. "To be with Maria? Do you not care at all about your life? Because that is what I am offering you. You stopped the beating of your own heart in order to save Maria. You weren't able to get out in time and you both lost your lives. I'm offering you the chance to go back to the exact moment before you were told that stopping your heart could save her. This time, you just let her go.

The impostor Max smiled and said "So, what do you say?"

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 18
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.