FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Taking A Step Back"
Part 20
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: What happens in the lives of Max Evans and Liz Parker and their friends after Max tells Liz that they need to ‘Take a Step Back'. What twists and turns await them as they try to discover the truth about who they are, were they come from, and the truth about what binds them together.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: My story starts off when Max tells Liz they have to take a step back at the end of Balance.
Still at the house, the girls discovered that the guys hadn't bothered to put the pizzas in the oven. They considered it, but figured that they would wait on the girls. After all they weren't hungry, they were worried. They suspected that the girls would feel the same way, and they did. They were right in their assumption, the girls weren't hungry either. Liz and Max lead the others into the living room were they could all be more comfortable while they finished discussing the matter at hand.

"Hypothetically, is it possible that your bodies are going through the same changes that Topolski went through. And ours are changing the way Teomner's did." Michael asked, he was worried about the effects this could have on them all, and at the same time he is hopefully that this could be something that would increase his powers.

Liz knows that she is the only one that has any clue as to what's going on. However she doesn't know anymore than the others. She thought about what the lab journal said, and what her own tests revealed and tries to answer Michael's question. "Michael, if I had to guess, I'd say no. With Topolski they injected her with an altered sample of the bacterial cells. It looks like our cells are changing each others." She pauses for a moment to think. "The only thing I can think to do is, work together and run and continue to watch for farther changes. If anyone of us starts to show any signs of changing, they have to let the others know. Other than that, there is nothing we can do." Max squeezes Liz's hand. This is scary for all of them. Their isn't anybody that they can ask what's happening, and they aren't sure how to find out how this is going to effect them. There are so many questions and no answers.

Alex looks at his watch which reads 10:20 p.m. "I think we need to wrap this up for the night. Curfew, you know."

********************

After the movie Kyle and Sandie ended up laughing most of the way to her house. They found that even with their many differences, they had many things in common. One being their sense of humor. Sandie has to fight from laughing long enough to say good-night. "I really.. have to go Kyle. I had a great time."

"Me too, on both accounts." Kyle stares at Sandie for a moment. He'd noticed how her whole face glows when she's happy, and it make him that much happier to know that he contributed to her happiness. Kyle realizes that this has been the best night he has had on a date since Liz, and in some ways it was better. Before she moves to climb out of the car, Kyle asks, "Sandie, tomorrow, do you want to go the Crashdown, we can meet up with the others for lunch if you would like?"

Sandie's playful expression quickly changes to one more serious. "I can't for lunch." She knows that her mother wouldn't let her off for even one Saturday. She's always been told how important it is that keeps her priorities in the right order. "Saturdays are... kind of a mother/daughter day."

"What, you spend every Saturday with your mom?" Kyle's shocked, what family insists on every Saturday?

"It's usually with both my mom and dad, but he's still wrapping things up back in Washington."

"I thought you said the you lived in Oklahoma."

This question made Sandie happy. He actually remembered where she came from. "We did. My father had to go to Washington for a meeting before coming back to the base here."

"Back to the base? Your father's in the military?"

"Yeah, he was stationed here when he met my mother. My Grandpa put in some calls to get him sent back here. He knew how much my mother wanted to be here for my grandma, but that she couldn't...wouldn't want to be away from my father for long."

"They're close, your parents?"

"Very close. Sometimes it can be a little embarrassing how close."

"I can't imagine being embarrassed by my parents being too close. That was never a problem between my folks. I often wonder what it would have been like to be a part of a close family."

"I guess I'm pretty lucky in that way." Sandie starts to think about how lucky she is, and hopes that she makes the same kind of bond that her parents have.

Kyle is curious about Sandie's grandfather. What kind of influences he has that he would get someone stationed in Roswell. He doesn't what to come across like he's prying, so he jokingly asks, "Your grandfather his a lot of influence, what is he a General?"

"No" Sandie pauses only for a moment, she doesn't want to lie to Kyle but she really doesn't want to discuss her Grandfather's or father's Military status. She decides to continue. "Actually, he's a four star General, but he retired when he found out how sick my grandmother is."

"Wow, I had no idea." Kyle is really caught of guard. He figured that her grandfather knew people, but he had no idea. Then it hits him, there's only one reason that someone with that much clout would be living in Roswell. He had to have been connected to Area 51. Kyle noted the changes in Sandie's expressions since they got back at her house. He wondered if the reason she seems to have two sides to her is because of her father and grandfather. Through their date he got to see a new side to Sandie, a side that he really likes. She has been sweet, open, free spirited and funny. At school she is still sweet, but she's also very shy and timid. He likes the way she was with him tonight, and hopes to see more of this side of her

Sandie really doesn't want to discuss her father's and Grandfather's Military careers. She realized a long time ago that this conversation would led to a conversation she didn't want to get into. "I really should get inside before my mother starts to worry about me. I'll see you Kyle." she climbs out of the car. Poking her head back in she suggests, "We could get together after lunch, around 5:00 if you still want to."

"I'll pick you up at 5:00." Kyle watched as Sandie walked up to her door and made sure that she got in safe.

Sandie happily walks away from Kyle's car and into her house. "Hey Mom, I'm home."

"Did you have fun with your FRIEND?"

"Yeah, we had a lot of fun." It took only a moment for Sandie to realize that her mother used the word ‘friend' not ‘friends'. "Mom, I didn't fool you did I?"

"Sandie, by now I would think you would know you can't lie to me. It doesn't work.."

"Mom, if you knew that I was lying, then why did you let me go?"

"Sweety, I figured that you could handle yourself, and I know that you understand the consequence of your actions." Mrs. Gates smiles at her daughter. " Remember I was young once too, and it wasn't that long ago." Sandie gives her mother a hug. "Thank you Mom."

With a more serious face, Alisha Gates tells Sandie, "All I ask is that you remember to be extra careful, I don't want you to take chances." Alisha pauses for a moment, and then brings up something that she's been hoping Sandie would come to her on her own about, but hasn't. "Sandie, there's something else bothering you. Can we talk about it."

"Mom, it's nothing, I'm sure that it was just my imagination."

"Okay dear. If you change your mind, I'll be here. Just remember to trust your instincts, you'll know what to do. Now tell me about your date with your friend." Sandie tells her mother all about Kyle and their night together.

While listening to her daughter, Alisha is glad that the two of them are able to share this kind of relationship. She's really glad that she let Sandie go tonight, and that for the night her daughter was able to feel like her life was as simple at the other kid's. Sandie's mom knows that Sandie has always felt like an outsider, and for the night she didn't. However, Alisha can't help but feel sad for Sandie, knowing that soon, Sandie's life isn't going to be so normal again. Her father is arriving Monday.

******************************

A few minutes before 11:00, Max walked Liz up to her door while Isabel sits in the car impatiently. "Tonight we go to the special place I promised you last week." Max has been planning this night all week. He wanted it to be perfect.

"Max, please tell my where it is."

"Not tonight. This is one that you'll want to see, not hear about. So go in and I'll call you shortly. Max kissed her lightly on the lips and returned to the jeep.

*********************************

Liz opens her eyes and is in complete awe as she looks at the galaxy in front of her. It is a cluster of different colors. There are seven main stars, and around four of them are different colored clouds the largest is yellow surrounded by orange, with in it's midst is a star surrounded by a teal color. Straight down from the yellow and orange cluster is the next brightest star and the area around it is pink and red. The last large star is centered between the yellow and pink cloud gases set off to the right. "Oh Max! This is incredible!"

Max moves up behind Liz wrapping his arms around he small waist. "So I take it that you like my surprise."

"Definitely!" Liz continues to take in the brilliance of all the colors. "What's it called, Max?"

"It's called the Antares & Rho Ophiuchi." Max is pleased that she likes it as much as he does. "I was hoping that you would like this. If you like, I can show you a different one every now and then."

"If they're as unbelievable as this one, I'd like that." Liz turns around facing Max and wraps her arms around his neck drawing his lips to her own for a long passionate kiss. As they break for much needed air Max comments, "If I'd known I'd get that kind of reaction, I wouldn't have let you talk me into going to the cabin and the beach this last week."

Seductively Liz replies, "If I'd known that your surprise was this." Liz waves her hand at the sights around them. "I wouldn't have tried to talk you into going anywhere else."

"I was a little worried that I over did it. There are so many galaxies to choose from. I didn't know which of these to cut out."

"You may have over done it a bit, But I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of it." Liz rolls over on her side, facing Max. "Now to make this evening complete."

"You mean?" Max raises his eye brows repetitively at Liz while smiling slightly.

Liz lightly bites her lower lip and nods her head, while moving closer into Max's embrace. They share an open mouth kiss, and it quickly turns to a kiss full of hunger and need. They both let their hands explore their lovers body. Enjoying every touch, every sensation.

*******************************

Sunday at 5:00 sharp Kyle picks up Sandie at her house. Kyle instantly picks up on her saddened state. "Sandie, what's wrong?"

She smiles at him, "It's nothing to worry about, I'm okay."

"Don't do that." Kyle looks at Sandie with a worried expression.

"What do you mean?" Sandie tries to cover up her feelings. She doesn't want Kyle to know that anything is bothering her.

"Sandie we're friends and friends don't lie to each other. Besides it will help to talk about it." Kyle looks straight at her with a look that says I'm waiting.

They sat there not moving until Sandie finally gave in. "Okay, okay, my father arrives tomorrow, and things are going to be different when he gets here." Kyle's look tells her to go on. "You could say that he's more protective than my mother. He worries about me, not that my mother doesn't. It's just that he doesn't allow me as many freedoms as my mother does."

Kyle tries to reassure Sandie, "Fathers are usually are more protective of their daughters." By Sandie's expression Kyle realizes that this protectiveness goes beyond the normal protection of a father. "What aren't you going to be able to do, that you are currently doing?" Sandie drops her head slightly and looks up at him with only her eyes. Kyle not sure what she's thinking, but something about the way she's looking at him makes him ask, "What, you can't go out with me?"

With her head still hung low, Sandie answers so softly that Kyle almost misses it, "I can't go out with anyone. Not you, not friends, not anyone unless one of my parents are with me."

"That's crazy! Why on earth would your father be so overprotective?"

"It has to do with things I did when I was really young. It scared him and he's been like this every since. I was hoping that he would have learned to trust me by now, but he hasn't. My mother promised to talk to him when he gets here, but I'm worried that he's not going to give in."

What could you have possible don't that would make him act like this since you were a kid?"

Sandie shuffles uncomfortable in her seat. "Kyle, would you mind if I didn't tell you. It's something that is just too embarrassing for me to talk about." Kyle simply nods his head.

"Well, I guess that we're going to make this the best day of your life then. What do you want to do?"

Sandie knows exactly what she wants, but she not sure if it's something she should ask about. Her gut feeling tells her not to ask. She almost asks about the house when her mother's words ring in her ears, loud and clear. ‘Follow your instincts, and you'll now what to do.' So instead she asks, "What's fun to do in Roswell, that you can't do anywhere else?"

*********************************

Maria and Michael stop by the Museum to talk to Max. Max is guiding a tour through the museum, his group is currently standing in front of the autopsy exhibit. Michael and Maria decide to give Max a hard time and the tour group a thrill. "Hey I heard that, instead of creation or evaluation being how we got to earth, that we are actually decedents of aliens that landed on earth a very long time ago." Michael comments

Is it true?" Maria flashes a mischievous look at Max.

"I wouldn't know about that." Max answers, and tries to motion for the group to move to the next exhibit, while giving Michael and Maria stern looks. He doesn't get far before he hears Kyle chiming in.

"Yeah, I heard the same thing." Kyle guides Sandie up behind Maria and Michael. "I also heard that aliens live and walk among us."

"Now wait a second they live among us." Maria bites her lip trying not to break out into a laughing fit.

"Are you saying they look just like we do?" Michael is getting a charge out of Max. Who is also trying not to laugh. They all see how the group of people are looking at them. They don't know whether to believe them or not. Many of them look scared while others look really interested.

"Oh yeah, they have been living among us for a very long time." Kyle fills in.

Sandie was scared at first, but when she sees Max trying not to laugh she decides to join in. "Not only that, but they work with our government. The government gives the aliens people to experiment on, in exchange for alien technology." Michael, and Maria look at Sandie in surprise. They didn't expect for her to join in. Kyle wasn't really surprised. He knew that she shared their quirky sense of humor.

Max figures that he needs to stop this before Milton shows up. "Excuse my friends, they think they're being funny. But They're Not!" He now grins a big one.

Michael, Maria, Kyle, and Sandie act innocent of any wrong doing.

Max leads the tour group away, while the others break into an uncontrollably fit of laughter.

*****************************

The eight friends are standing outside the Crashdown. Kyle and Sandie both pick up on the tension in the air. Their friends seem to be worrying about something. Kyle worries that they found out something bad last night. He now wonders why no one called him. He originally thought that they didn't find anything, now he wondered how bad it is.

Sandie on the other hand was thinking that they were uncomfortable with her there. Maybe her dad coming into town was a good thing. That way she had a good excuses to stay away from them. "Kyle would you take me home? I think I should help my mother finish the unpacking."

Isabel feels Sandie's self doubt radiating from her. She doesn't want Sandie to think that their mood has anything to do with her, and she also becomes very aware that her friends need to do something to get their minds off of their worries. "Sandie, we're not letting you go! We are all going to mine and Max's house. Our parents are going to be out for a while, and I know that they wouldn't mind us bring over a few friends. Knowing how excited my mother acted when she found out that Max made a new friend in Kyle, I'm sure she'll be bouncing off the walls when she hears that he's made another one so soon. She's always telling Max to make more friends." Isabel gives Max one of her teasing smiles.

************************

At the Evans's house the eight of them are playing their favorite CD's , dancing, eating, and just having an all around good time. Sandie steps out of the room to freshen up. She hears a loud crash and pokes her head out of the restroom, and to her amazement she sees Max using his powers to fix a lamp that had been knocked over. She quickly pulls her head back in the door and quietly closes it. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I wasn't imagining it, Max really does have powers. My family has been wrong all of these years. She begins to put things together, how Max, Isabel, and Michael all go crazy over the tabasco sauce, the way they all seem to share secrets, and how close the bonds between the couples are. She can't wait to tell her mother that she has met some real off-worlders as her parents called them. She takes a few moments to pull herself together, and then she goes back out to join them.

Index | Part 21
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.