FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Taking A Step Back"
Part 36
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Once everyone left the Cafe Liz quickly locked the door and leaned back against it thinking, *Alone at last! *

Max had the same thought, *Alone at last! I was beginning to think they were never going to leave.* Max leaned into Liz, resting his hands on the door frame and kissed his dream girl. Before the kiss had a chance to deepen Liz pushed back on his chest. "As much as I'm tempted right now, we need to finish up in here first."

Max sighed backing away. Together they put the chairs up on the tables, each lost in thought not sure if it was really their own thought of that of the others, but they both drew the same conclusion it was theirs together. They were both thinking the same thing. Not wanting to disturb the feeling, they didn't want to say anything out loud, there was a mutual feeling that words would some how spoil the moment.

Liz decided to use her thoughts to communicate with Max. *I know what you have on your mind, and you know it's on my mine as well.*

*Our lack of concentration?*

Shaking her head, Liz answers. *Yeah, that's part of it. I'm finding myself drawn to listening to your voice in my head rather than the voices around me. I get the feeling if we don't try to control this we're going to have some real problems, and I'm not just talking about needing to find somewhere to be alone.*

*I feel it too, we can't go through the day getting lost in each others thoughts. Tonight it was like listening to two different people talking to me at the same time, and the voice in my head, your voice, was more dominate, and it felt more important than any of the other voices around me. To the most part I liked it, it was comforting to hear your voice in my head, but on the other I knew that what we hear to talk about was very important.*

*Comforting, that's a good way to put it, and I agree. We have to be able to concentrate on what's being said around us. Maybe we should call Alisha and Robert, they must have had the same problem. Maybe they can help us learn how to control it better or to use it to our advantage rather than it feeling like a disadvantage.*

*I could see some real advantages to communicating like this. For example when we don't have the time to study like we should, or in classes that one of us is stronger than the other.*

*That would be cheating Max!*

*Let them try and prove it, besides we would be practicing something more important than anything they could teach us. We would be learning to work together as a team.*

*Max I would never have thought of you as a cheater.*

*I'm not, not normally anyway, I was just thinking two heads can be better than one.*

Liz still didn't like it, but decide there wasn't much she could really do about it. He could hear her thoughts whether she wanted him to or not and vice versa. If she thought about it to long, she would realize he had a good point, but she would never change her study habits an the chance that he would study. Too much rested on her getting go grades.

They finished cleaning up by carrying the glasses into the kitchen and setting them in the rack to be washed. Liz turned out the lights and head for the stair with Max right behind her. Impulsively Max grabbed Liz picking her up by supporting her back with one arm and lifting her legs with the other. He captured her lips with his own as her carried her to the couch in the break room. After laying her down, he laid on top of her, pinning her down his own weight. He decided that to night was a good as any to fulfill one of their mutual phantasies.

If asked, Max would have to admitted that he loved Liz's uniform for another reason than the way she looked in it. He likes the way the snaps opened at the slightest tug of his hand.

**************************

Kyle and Sandie went straight to the park after leaving the Crashdown Cafe. They sat on one of the nearby benches talking. Kyle's face shows a visible sign of relief as Sandie reveals the changes with her connection between her parents and herself over the past few years. ". . . and now they are limited to reading only strong emotions; like pain, anger, and fear. They can tell when I'm really happy or sad, they can feel when I'm excited about something, and from the other night, I would say they can tell when I'm excited in general." Sandie looks away from Kyle as she says this. She was embarrassed to admit that their first kiss affected her in that way.

Kyle watches Sandie as she tries to hid the flush that spread across her olive complection. He had know how their kiss affected her, it affected him the same way. He couldn't help wondering if this is how Liz and Max felt in the beginning, and if so how did they stay away from each other for so long. All he wants to do is pull Sandie in his arm and ravage her succulent lips, to run his fingers through her silky light brown hair, and to feel her warm slender body pressed next to his, as well as be able to trace her sensual curves with his hands. He resists the urges as he continues to listen to her soft voice.

"However, they aren't able to identify what is causing the emotion. It's like fear, they can't tell if it's real fear or if it's from like watching a scary movie. What they do is see how long it lasts, and if it's warranted they contact me, or in some cases they wait for me to contact them. It depends on the emotion."

Kyle was relived to say the least when he heard this. He didn't have to worry about Sandie's parents knowing how far they were going together. Granted it still bothered him that they would have an idea of what they were doing, but not as much as them knowing and wanting to hang him up by his heals or worse for taking advantage of their daughter. Which is exactly what he wants to do, but not quite as it sounds. He would never do anything that Sandie didn't want to do, and not so deep inside of him he knew that she was the one for him. That there would never be anyone else in his life who could make him feel the way he fills about this beauty sitting beside him.

Kyle can't and doesn't want to hold back anymore. He raises his hand and caresses her check then lowers his lips to hers for a tender and brief kiss. They both smile at each other with hooded eyes and pull each other into a tight embrace and share a kiss of passion and longing.

****************

Maria walked into her home as quietly as possible. She hoped to go straight to her room; where Michael is sure to be waiting on her; without getting into a confrontation with her mother about how late she was out. She cringes when she hears her mother's voice calling from her bedroom. "Maria is that you?" Maria walks back to her mother's bedroom door. "It's me mom, sorry I'm home so late. My friends and I were talking at the Cafe, and we lost all track of time."

"I figured it was something like that. I was getting worried and was about to call your cell phone when Jim call and told me he saw you just leaving the Crashdown at the same time as some of your friends. All I'm going to say is be glad Jim called me, otherwise I would probably would be all over your case right now." Amy smiles to herself, she can't believe how wonderful Jim is to her. Here he called just because he didn't want her to worry about Maria. No other guy she's dated would have even given it a second thought.

"Sheriff Valenti called here when we were leaving the Cafe?" Maria asks, wondered how he just happened by the Crashdown as they were leaving and yet none of them saw him. Was she just being paranoid or were her suspicions right, and he's watching them? She going to have to mention it to Michael and the others.

Amy heard the strain in Maria's voice and wondered what was going on. Talking slowly she address her concerns. "That's what he said, is something wrong Maria, because for some reason that seems to bother you. That Jim saw you leaving, is there something I should know about?"

"No mom, I was just wondering why I didn't see him, that's all. Well, morning comes early, goodnight mom." Standing outside of her room, Maria reaches for the doorknob.

"One more thing Maria, I'm really glad things between you and Kyle have gotten better. I know you really weren't comfortable around him after his and Lizzy's break up. I think it's great you two get along now, it sure makes things easier."

"Easier, how does it make things easier?"

"Oh you know, between Jim and me. If you two kids didn't get along it would make things harder between us when we want to do things together, like on Friday. I'm also pleased that you've taken my advice, and you're spending more of your time with your group of friends rather than alone with Michael. Isn't it more fun with a group don't you think, and this way your not nearly as tempted to, you know, entertain yourselves?"

Maria smiles to herself. *Mom, if you knew the truth, I'd probably be grounded for life, and Michael, he'd probably be dead.* Maria pulled her mother's door shut while saying, "Sure, I better get to bed now."

"Good night dear." Her mother called as she set down her book and turning out the lamp on her bed stand.

Maria enters her room determined to tell Michael about her suspicion concerning Valenti, but she quickly changes her mind and decides now isn't the time when she sees a naked Michael resting on her bed. "You didn't want to waist anytime did you?" She asks while scanning his sexy body up and down from head to toe and back again.

"Not tonight." He replied with a wicked grin. "I figured you did enough of that for both of us."

"Yeah, what can I say, my mother has a gift for gab." Maria tells him while pulling off her uniform. She can't believe that she never took the time to change into the cloths she had in her lock, but what does that matter now.

"So does her daughter." He replies, only to regret it when he gets hit in the face unexpectedly by Maria's uniform.

"Hey, why did you do that?" He asks, keeping his voice quiet so that Amy doesn't hear him, and throws it back at her.

"That was for, well just because." Maria dismisses and tosses her uniform into her hamper, pulls her shoes off leaving them where they fall and walks towards Michael. He watches her as she rubs her neck moving her head side to side. "Your neck bothering you?" He asks with a note of concern.

"Rough night." She answers knowing that she didn't need to say anything else, because that was explanation enough.

"I can help with that." Michael offers as he reaches for Maria's hand pulling her next to him on the bed. He begins rubbing her neck and scalp at the edge of her hair line and feels the tension start to ease out of her body. He then moves to her shoulder encouraging her to relax even more.

Maria can't believe how good he is at this. She feels like putty in his hands wanting to molded into whatever shape her sculptor chooses for her. "Lay down." She heard him say from her hazy relaxed state, and does as he asked.

Michael scanned the room and saw some lotion sitting on her dresser, and proceeded to go an retrieve it.

"Where are you going?" Maria asked when she felt the bed move as he climbed off. She didn't what him to go anywhere, she longed to feel his hands working their magic once more. He was doing things to her, things that excited her as well as relaxed her in ways that her aroma-therapy never could.

"I thought some lotion would help." He answered as she felt him return to her side, and unfasten the hooks on her bra. After a short pause she felt his warm lotion covered hands resume their magic up and down her spine, working out the knots in her back and down her legs. She hadn't relaxed like this since, since she can't remember the last time she felt so relaxed.

Michael lovingly caressed every inch of her body, he couldn't believe how tight her muscles felt. He took solace in watching her enjoying this as much as he was, if not more, and that excited him farther. He began to work farther down her body concentrating thighs and calves. When he finished with the back of her body, he had her roll over and applied lotion to the front of her legs.

Maria was lost in a daze mixed of desire and relaxation. When he began to work her inter thighs she lost all control. She needed need him, his kisses, the feeling of his body next to and one with hers. She grabbed his hand she pulled him up to her and wrapped her arms tightly around him and kissed him vibrantly on the lips.

*********************************

Isabel and Alex parked down the street from her house. Alex has his arms wrapped securely around Isabel's waist resting his hands on her stomach as they talk about their meeting with their friends and stare out the front window of the car at all of the brilliant stars in the sky.

"Alex, do you ever wonder about the rest of the prophecy my da. . . . I mean Nasado told us about?" Isabel just couldn't call Nasado dad. She realizes that he loved her, but it felt disrespectful to her dad, Phillip Evans, the man who raised, loved, protected, and provided for her all of her life.

And yet she still had these feelings for Nasado. Feelings that could only be described as love and respect. He gave up everything he knew and loved, including his children. All in order to give Max and her a better life, a life that was as normal as possible, and to keep them safe. How many fathers would do something so selfless as that?

Alex must have understood, because he didn't mention it. He figured that she would find the best way to describe Nasado and her feelings for him in her own time. "Yeah, I wonder about that a lot. I can't shake the feeling that it's not over, and whatever we have to do, we have to do it here, on Earth not amongst the stars, at least not yet."

"I get the same felling, it's like we have to save this world first, and my world will follow. It also have the feeling that the more time we spend searching for the ship, is less time we have to do what is really important."

"I think finding the ship is important, it's just not as important as whatever else were supposed to be doing."

"I'm glad you feel it to Alex. Do you think the others feel it as well?"

"We'll have to ask them." They both grow quiet once again staring at the stars in the sky. Alex brushes Isabel's hair off of her shoulder and kisses her neck. Isabel turns around in his arms and returns a kiss. Their passion takes hold of them growing into a scorching flame as their kiss intensifies into one of hunger, and passionate desire.

Alex is the first to pull back. Being short of breath he struggles to say, "Is, my love, not like this. I don't want our first time to be parked in my car in front of someone's house. I want our first time to be a special as you are to me. You deserve the best, the most romantic night I can provide."

"But I need you Alex,"

Alex sighs, and fights not to give into the moment. "And I need you, but for tonight it has to be in our dreams. I promise it will be worth the wait."

***********************************

As Max and Liz lay comfortably in each others arm, wishing the night never had to end, and at the same time they both acknowledge that the time has come for it to end, because Max should be heading home before he get into real trouble. Liz sits up on the couch and pulls her knees to her chest and watches Max as he dresses. *I wish you didn't have to go. I would love to . . . * Liz pushes that thought away and buries her face in her knees forcing herself not to think about pulling Max back onto the couch.

Max's had to consciously force him self to think about dressing. He knew that if he let his mind wonder he would end up staying with Liz for the rest of the night, and he knows that he can't do that. It's already late and his mother isn't going to be to happy with him. He realizes he should have gone home and then come back then he could have stayed. But then he remembered how little sleep they got the night before, and by the why he was feeling and the parcel thought that he received from Liz, he knew it would be a repeat performance. Once dressed he gives Liz a quick kiss and heads for the door. Knowing that if he doesn't go now, he wouldn't be going at all. *I love you Liz Parker, and thank you for not finishing that thought. I don't think I could resist the temptation to stay if you had.*

*I love you too Max Evans.* Liz breathes a sigh of relief as the door closes, and lets her mind wonder while she dresses. She knows that even though he can't sleep beside her, or even stay a little longer, she still wouldn't be without him. They would have their dreams. Once dressed she heads up to her room, showers, and gets ready for bed. She can't wait to see Max in their dreamworld.

*********************************** Isabel walks into her home feeling excited about Alex's promise of something special. She longs to know what he could have in mind and hopes that it is soon, very soon. However, for tonight she has agreed to wait for his call and join him in their dream world.

Diane Evans is sitting in the den waiting up for Isabel and Max. "Isabel, Max" he calls thinking they would have come in together.

"Hi mom." Isabel says hoping that her mom wouldn't be question her about Max. But deep down she knew that she would, and she didn't disappoint her. "Isn't Max with you?"

Isabel figures Max is going to be awhile. She decides to cover for him knowing he would do the same for her. She doesn't want him get into trouble. "He'll be home in a little while. He stayed to help Liz clean up the Crashdown. He didn't want for her to have to do it alone."

"That was nice of him to stay and help Liz out, but I don't like that the two of you are getting into this habit of staying out late."

"It wasn't intentional Mom, honest we just lost track of the time. We'll be more careful from now on."

"I'm counting on that Isabel. I don't want to punish you, but if this continues you won't be leaving me any other choice."

Isabel hugs her mom and says, "Goodnight mom," before she heads to her room.

************************

Kyle and Sandie are kissing goodnight on Sandie's front porch when Robert opens the door. Both Kyle and Sandie look a little scared as they pull a part and wait for whatever is going to come next.

"Sandie, go inside." Her father orders sternly.

"Dad, please." Sandie's voice sounds shaky. She worries that he thinks more happened between Kyle and herself than what did. Things started to get intense but they didn't do anything wrong. She worried that her father is going to do something or say something that's going to scare Kyle away.

Without taking his eyes off of Kyle, Robert says, "Everything will be fine Sandie, I need to talk with Kyle alone. Now go inside, your mother is waiting on you in your room." Sandie exchanges glances with Kyle and enters the house.

Kyle looks really nervous as he meets Robert's stare. He knows from Sandie that her parents don't know how far things have gone between them, but they are sure to know how Sandie was feeling, and if she was feeling anything similar to what he was feeling, he was in trouble. Because those feelings alone were enough to warrant a talk from her parents. He was willing to endure it if that's what it would take to continue to see Sandie.

"Sit down Kyle." Robert says calmly and sits beside Kyle on the porch step. "I now you and Sandie are getting fairly serious, and I think it's time for you to know where Alisha and I stand on the matter. The easiest why to say this, is to tell you we've never seen Sandie happier."

That statement surprised Kyle. It sure wasn't what he was expecting.

"Granted we know a large part of that has to do with having friends, friends that she can be herself with. We also know it has a lot to do with you. We can't say we're happy that this is happening to her before her sixteenth birthday, but we always suspected that when she met the right guy it would happen quickly. The same way it happened between Alisha and I.

Lucky for you, we understand more than her parents did, as well as everyone else who knew Alisha's secret. Including Alisha, she was so scared to tell me the truth about herself as well as worrying that something would happen to me if we became to close. I was also very afraid of her father, and what he would do if he discovered one of his officers was seeing his seventeen year old daughter. So for the obvious reasons we tried to stay away from each other, but it didn't work obviously. We ended up sneaking around, and once we saw into each others souls, it was all over, we couldn't stop the changes or fight the pull we had on each other. The more we tried the more miserable we became. Eventually we were caught. It wasn't fun trying to explain it to her parents or the others involved in her life. I'm sure you've seen some of the same problems with Max, Isabel, and Michael.

Here's the deal, because of everything we went through, we decided long ago that when Sandie met the right young man we would stand by her decision. I just want for you to keep in mind that even though she's a year a head of you in school, she is also a year younger than you are, and she still has a lot of growing to do as do you. The good thing about your age is when the connection is made you will grow closer to each other. The bad news is its going to be hard on you. You'll have to keep our secret from your father, and not let anyone know about your changes. The same way I have all of these years. If anyone were to realize you have powers, my secret would be out as well as yours, and it increases the chance someone would find out Sandie has been hiding her full potential. If you can accept this, then we can accept you.

If not you have to back away now. I guarantee it will be hard, but if you don't do it now, and you and Sandie continue as you have been, you will connect. You'll see things from each others lives and once you do that, there is no turning back. You won't be able to stay away from each other, and I don't mean just being near each other, or being physically with each other, I mean your lives will be linked together forever. You see this isn't something that you will be able to walk away from in a month, a year, or even ten years down the road. This is a life time commitment. Your lives will evolve around each other in a way that even now you can't fully comprehend. So think long and hard about what this choice will mean to your future."

"Sir, I appreciate everything you have told me, but I don't have to think about this. I did already realized a lot of this before I moved forward into this relationship with Sandie. I know about a lot of the things our friend have gone through and are currently going through. Sandie is worth all of that to me. She's special and I'm not referring to her parentage. I am hoping however that one day I will be able to tell my father. He is a good man, and I'm sure that once he realizes the danger he would be putting us in by sharing our secret, he would keep our confidence, especially if it meant my life or that of those he cares about."

*********************** Max arrives home, he is sure that sneaking in his bedroom window won't work, so he uses the front door. He isn't surprised to hear his mother's voice calling him as he enters. "Yeah mom."

"How did things go with Liz?"

Max isn't sure what she means. He figures Isabel must have said something, but what? "Everything went fine." He hoped his mother wouldn't ask what went fine. If she did, he was in trouble.

"It was very nice of you to offer to help her clean up dear, but please don't make it a habit to stay so late. You need your rest as does your sister. What were you guys doing so late at the Crashdown anyway?"

"The usual Mom. Listening to the radio, talking about school and what we are going to do this weekend. Stuff like that, no big deal. We just enjoy being together."

"You know how glad I am that you have made some new friends. I just don't want to see your grades slipping or you getting sick because you're not getting enough sleep. Now go to bed and I see you in the morning."

"Good night mom."

Diana Evans smiles after her son, she can't believe the change that has come over him. He would never have volunteered so much information a few short months ago. She can't wait to get to know Liz Parker a little better. She has definitely had a positive impact on Max.

*************************

Kyle arrived home feeling the happiest he can ever remembering feeling in his life. Alisha and Robert accept his being with Sandie. He still can't believe it. It sounds too good to be true, and all they ask in return was that he protected Sandie and their secret as if all of their lives depended on it, which they did.

He walked into the house oblivious to everything even his father's fixed gaze. He was only brought back down to earth when he heard his father's voice. "Kyle, I'm glad your finally home. We have to talk."

*Oh great another talk, what is this talk to Kyle conspiracy week. * Kyle thinks as he shakes his head and asks, "Can't it wait until tomorrow?" He doesn't want to get into it tonight with his dad. He doesn't want to lie to him again, but if his father pushes this talk to night he knows that's exactly what he's going to have to do. He obviously can't tell his dad the truth, it's not just his secret to tell. Its ten peoples secret, and until they learn to trust his dad this is just how it has to be. But hopefully not for long.

"Not this time Kyle, we need to talk now!"

Part 35 | Index | Part 37
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.