FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Bayou Connection"
Part 4b
by NolaDarling
Disclaimer: I own nothing, except LaLa and Opal, they're mine.
Summary: AU, no aliens. Basic story set in the crescent city New Orleans. Maria and Liz are best friends, everyone else sort of falls in at some point.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: To everyone who gave feedback already especially Ramona, JO, Gabby, Arielle, and Mary.
The next few hours consisted of blank gazes exchanged by Max and Liz and Michael and Maria, which neither of the four could decipher as being good or bad. The guys started moving in all of their stuff with LaLa and Opal assisting them at times. And the girls just sat in their living room drinking beer and watching "Boy Meets World" reruns on the Disney channel. Since they kept the front door open, Max and Michael both would take peeks in every time they would pass, and Michael swore he saw Maria smirk at him once, but he didn't let it linger on his mind too much. He knew she had some unresolved issues she had to work out with her boyfriend. But he was more than sure that if they couldn't be together, presently, they could at least be close friends. And that would have to due, for now. Liz was laying on the couch resting her head the arm with her feet propped in Maria's lap. Between the two of them, they had indulged a 12 pack of Heineken's and were buzzing, big time. Both girls were giggling at just about anything they saw on TV.

"Don't you wish you could have a relationship like Corey and Topanga?" Maria said taking a swallow of her beer.

"You do," Liz said simply like it was so obvious, giving Maria a small smile. "Now me on the other hand, I'm a lost cause."

"No you're not babe, you're a one guy type of gal, and that guy's Max," Maria rubbed Liz's leg assuring her. "I don't know how long Max has been with that Mya broad, but I can't see it lasting too much longer, not with the way he looks at you. I see it, have seen it since you two first met," Maria sighed rolling her eyes wanting to say 'DUH'. "He wants you, BAD. Just don't give up so easy sweetie. You know you want him, and you have to fight for what you want."

"I know, I know," Liz whined picking at the paper on the Heineken bottle. "It's just, I always seem to lose the fight," Liz doubted herself

"Somehow I doubt you'll lose this time," Maria responded raising Liz's foot with her leg. Maria smiled at Liz and she returned it. Maria always had a way of bringing Liz up when she started getting herself down about not having someone. Sure they teased each other a lot about their respective situations, but Maria knew deep down how Liz wanted what she and Alex had.

"What about you? What are you going to do about your little condition?" Liz asked.

"Geez, Lizzie you make it sound like I'm knocked up," Maria chuckled.

"Come on you glut," Liz said jokingly, pushing Maria's thigh with her foot, "You know what I'm talking about."

"My, my if it isn't the pot calling the kettle black. And I think you've had more drinks than me," Maria slapped Liz's leg. They both burst into a fit of giggles. Maria turned back to the TV and drifted off for a moment, and then suddenly remembered what she was saying. "No seriously, that's a tough one. I really don't wanna hurt Alex, but Michael....oooh. He just, I don't know, he just does something to me. When I see him it's like my thighs go up in flames," Maria exclaimed shaking a bit rubbing her thighs as if too soothe the heat she felt there.

"Yours too?" Liz asked surprised at what Maria had just expressed.

"What do you mean, mine too?" Maria asked looking at Liz like she was crazy. "You're thighs go up in flames when you look at Michael?"

"No silly," Liz replied like that was the most ridiculous thing. "No more for you," Liz sat up and reached to grab the beer out of Maria's hand implying she'd had too much to drink.

Maria pulled her hand with her beer in it back, "Now you should know better than to deny a thirsty, nearly drunk woman her alcohol," Maria emphasized the word nearly. "Don't make me beat you down," Maria threatened with her ghetto lingo.

Liz and Maria had the type of relationship where they shared just about any and everything. Nothing was ever too much information. They could tell each other about every aspect of their day and knew they wouldn't be judged by the other.

"I meant Max, foolio. I've never felt this way about a guy just by seeing him. You feel me?" she said, getting into her hip mode.

"Believe me, I do," Maria replied taking the last swallow of her beer. "Maybe I could hook Alex up with Isabel?" Maria questioned.

"Now how could you push your boyfriend into the arms of another woman? That makes so sense. And besides I thought you hated Isabel? And how do you know Alex will want her?"

"I do hate her," Maria said turning up her nose at the thought of the tall blonde, "but I've seen how she looks at him. And Alex loves blonde's, I could get him to ask her out."

"You know he would never do that, as long as you guys are together."

Maria gave Liz a mischievous grin and Liz's eyes got big.

"You mean you're gonna dump him?" she screeched.

"Oh Lizzie don't make it sound so bad. What else is there to do? I want Michael damn it," Maria virtually shouted.

"Ssshhhh," Liz said putting her finger to her lip. "You want him to hear you?"

"Oh, sorry, got a little carried away," Maria whispered holding her finger to her lip mocking Liz. The Heinekens were certainly taking affect on both of them.

"We need more beer," Liz said standing and pulling Maria up with her. They made their way to the kitchen and pulled the last three beers out. Maria had two and Liz had one.

"I'm gonna give this one to Michael, I know he needs it."

"What about Max?"

"Give him yours."

"No way," Liz said hugging the bottle to her chest like it was a small child and she was it's mommy.

"Well go to the store to get more, it's your turn anyway."

Liz burst out laughing laying her head on the slightly taller girls shoulder. This was one of the things they always argued about when they'd been drinking, whose turn was it to make the beer run.

Maria couldn't figure out what was so funny, so she just starting laughing too. They both tiptoed back into the living room towards the door with their arms locked together.

"Maria?" Liz whispered.

"Yea?" Maria responded in an even lower whisper.

"Why are we whispering?"

"For the same reason we're tiptoeing."

"Why's that?"

"I have no idea." They doubled over again.

When they reached the door Michael was passing carrying a box.

"Here," Maria said opening the screen door and shoved the bottle in Michael's back pocket. "I brought you a beer."

Michael looked at both girls and automatically knew they were close if not already wasted.

Liz and Maria looked at each other and fell out laughing again.

Max came in the door and sat down a box. He started kicking it towards the stairs when he noticed Michael standing there with a bottle sticking out of his pocket. He walked up behind Michael and took in sight of the two giggly obviously drunk women.

Liz sauntered up to him as if she was going to jump his bones. "Max," she almost groaned his name. She walked right up on him with her lips just inches from his. She looked up into his eyes and whimpered, "Would you bring me to the store to get more," Liz burped in his face and covered her mouth giggling.

Maria was laughing and snorting and Michael looked over at her and snickered in a low manner so she couldn't hear him. 'Snorting is so sexy' Michael said to himself.

"Sorry. To get more beer." Liz was now batting her eyelashes trying to hold in the laughter that was pressuring her insides to be let out. She was trying her damnedest to be sensual and seductive but the look on his face mixed with the dosages of alcohol she'd consumed, was making it nearly impossible for her to keep a straight face.

Max wanted so badly to throw his tongue down her throat, sweep her off her feet, and carry her away to be his. The fact that she was drunk and had belched in his face didn't even faze him. She was all flushed and warm and that was sexy as hell. He could smell the beer on her breathe, mixed with the sweet scent that was just her, and it was intoxicating. He could also feel the heat radiating from her, absorbing his senses and logic mind making them float off to somewhere unknown. He got that overwhelming feeling he'd experienced the other day in her bathroom when she cleaned up the cut on his forehead. But this time he wasn't uncomfortable.

"Sure," he finally responded. Her big brown eyes at half-mast continued to survey him from head to toe, slowly sucking him into her abyss of seduction.

She grabbed his hand and headed to the door leading outside.

"Hey, you need some money babe?"

"No, I got it," Max replied.

Michael and Maria watched as the two obviously infatuated pair exited the house.

"So, you wanna help me get the rest of this stuff upstairs?"

"Sure."

Maria went to the door "Opal it's getting dark, you and LaLa gather up the toys and come in."

Maria stood at the door and waited for Opal and LaLa to gather LaLa's toys.

Maria opened the door and helped them inside with some of the stuff.

"What about my pool ma mama?"

"I'll get Mister Michael to empty it later on," Maria smiled looking at Michael.

"Sure, no problem. It's the least I can do for you little angels helping us out earlier," Michael said smiling at the two set of big green eyes staring up at him. Looking at LaLa reminded him so much of just looking at Maria. Their features were almost identical and both had the brightest and prettiest smiles. Opal had Maria's fire and attitude. He could definitely see where they were all related.

"Why don't you two go throw on some shorts and I'll fix you something to eat."

Opal ran inside with LaLa on her tail. The girls had basically been working all day. Between their playing and helping out the guys move in, they were both starving. They would probably eat, take their bath and fall asleep watching TV, which Maria was eternally grateful for. The four of them could sit down and eat and drink without the interruption of the little chatter boxes.

Michael walked back out in the hall and grabbed the box Max had brought in. "I'll get this one, you grab the one I had, it's lighter."

"What makes you think I can't carry that one?" Maria said eyeing the box and folding her arms across her chest.

"I didn't say you couldn't, I just didn't want you to hurt your pretty little back, that's all," Michael said inoffensively fearing Maria would go into one of those 'just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't do the same things you do' speeches. Not that he had heard a lot of those lately. The women he'd dated wouldn't even pick up a broom, let alone picking up and moving boxes.

Maria saw the look of nervousness on Michael's face and bent over and picked up the box. She walked up to him and positioning herself to the side of him she pushed herself up on her tip toes and whispered in his ear "I was kidding. What did I tell you about relaxing around me. Take it easy, I promised you I wouldn't bite." Maria opened her mouth and softly bit Michael's earlobe.

Michael almost dropped the heavy box he was holding. "I thought you didn't bite?" Michael asked while the sweet hot moisture of her mouth still burned his earlobe.

Maria had already started wobbling up the stairs with the box. "You don't know the difference between a bite and a nibble? Tsk Tsk, then I guess I'll just have to teach you, someday."

Michael had already started walking up the stairs behind Maria. He saw how she wobbled and the last thing he wanted was for her to fall, if she stumbled back at least he could catch her.

They put the boxes inside the apartment and Michael locked the door. "We'll get the rest of the stuff in the morning. We brought up all the essentials."

Maria grabbed Michael's hand as they made their way back downstairs. When Maria got to the top of the stairs she stopped and looked at them. For some reason they looked longer. She could feel a fountain of of sweat forming on her forehead. Her mouth went dry and she suddenly found it hard to breathe.

"You ok?" Michael asked looking at her.

Maria looked at him and looked at the stairs again. "I don't feel so good. Would you mind...."

Michael draped his arm around Maria's waste hoisting her up on his side and proceeded to carry her down the stairs. At some point during what seemed like a journey down the stairs, Maria wrapped both of her arms around Michael's neck causing her body to press firmly against his while he carried her. He continued to carry her with just one arm while she stared lazily at his face. She raised one her hands from around his neck and snaked her finger over his lips.

Oh how Michael wanted to kiss her finger, but he knew it wouldn't be right. Maria's drunken state clearly was the reason for her touchy behavior. And he had no intentions of taking advantage of her.

Maria put her arm back around his neck and rested her head on his upper chest her lips just centimeters from his neck. Michael was grateful when he stepped off the last step, not knowing how long he could tolerate her warm breathe blowing on his neck. When they got down she slid down his body her feet landing on the floor.

"Thanks."

"No problem. You sure you ok?"

"Yea," Maria lied wiping the sweat from her forehead gathering her hair and pushing it up off her neck.

Michael kept his arm around Maria's waste as he guided her into her apartment. Michael turned when her heard the door open and saw Max carrying a 12 pack of beer in one hand and the other swathed around Liz, who was breathing hard and sweating just as bad as Maria was.

"What's the matter with her," Michael asked Max while he looked from her to Maria. "Maria seems to be near fainting."

"Let's just get them inside, I think it's a little too hot for them."

Both guys practically carried the girls into their apartment and sat them down on the couch. Max went in the kitchen and put the beer in the refrigerator while Michael turned on the air condition.

LaLa ran into the living room hollering about she was hungry and wanted to eat. She saw Michael sitting Maria down and her little face scrunched up in anger. She walked up to Michael and started punching him in his leg. "What did you do to ma mama?" LaLa kept asking him as she punched him.

"It's too hot in here for her, she was feeling light headed so I carried her," Michael responded looking down at her trying to ignore the punches the little girl was landing in his leg. She sure did punch hard to say she was so little.

LaLa climbed up on Maria's lap and wiped her face with her hand. "Ma mama, ma mama," LaLa said trying to get Maria's attention.

Maria opened her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm ok sweetie, just got a little too warm for me. You ready to eat?"

LaLa climbed on the side of Maria and pulled her hair up so that it hung over the back of the couch.

"What's going on?" Opal asked walking into the living room.

"It's too hot for my mama and Lizzie," LaLa said climbing over to Liz and patting her shoulder.

Max and Michael sat on the arm of the couch watched how LaLa cared for Maria and Liz.

"You girls ready to eat?" Liz asked opening her eyes and her head moving back and forth taking in the setting.

"You two need to cool off. We'll feed the girls," Max said wiping Liz's face with the paper towel he'd grabbed out of the kitchen.

"No, it's ok, we'll do it," Liz tried to stand up but fell back, Max catching her and gently setting her back down on the couch.

"We insist, you two need to relax. We can fix their food."

LaLa stood up and grabbed Michael's hand "Come on and let my mama rest."

Both Opal and LaLa knew what had happened to Liz and Maria. For it happened often when the two became overheated. Liz and Maria wondered at times how they grew up in New Orleans. Neither of them could stand the heat too much and blasted their air condition 24/7.

Opal and LaLa led Max and Michael into the kitchen.

Liz looked over and saw the four leave the room. "You ok hun?" she asked both of them looking like they had just ran a marathon.

"Yea, I'll be ok, how about you?"

"You know me," Liz smiled.

"I hope Opal doesn't give them a hard time, you know how bossy she can be."

"Well we all know where she gets it," Liz looked the other way.

Maria pinched Liz on the arm and Liz yelped. Maria leaned over and rested her head on Liz's shoulder. They both fell asleep.

When Max and Michael went back into the living room to check on them, they found the setting for a beautiful picture. Though it would probably be embarrassing for the both girls, Max just couldn't resist, the scene was too cute.

Max ran upstairs and grabbed his camera. When he got back to the apartment Liz had leaned over resting her head on the arm of the couch and Maria was still slouched over on her.

Perfect.

Max snapped a picture and this caused Maria to stir but she remained sleep. Michael looked at her and smiled.

He got up and stood next to Max. "Think we should put them in the bed?" Michael whispered to Max careful not to wake the two sleepy heads.

"It's ok, they can sleep there. They will be ok," Opal said standing in the doorway of the kitchen and living room.

Max went over to the hall closet and got a sheet and threw it over the girls. He slipped one of the pillows under Liz's head and kissed her on the cheek.

"Well I'm gonna go upstairs and shower and get out of these clothes," Max told Michael.

"Ok. I'm going to clean up the girls plates and put the rest of the food away and then I'll be up," Michael responded.

Max gave Michael a strange look. "What?" Michael said looking at Max.

"My, aren't we being domestic," Max teased.

"Shut up...there's plenty of food left that we could eat tomorrow. No use in leaving it out all night to spoil."

Max gave Michael another look shaking his head and left the apartment. 'How the hell does he know about food spoiling, I didn't even know that.'

"I'm gonna go take a bath," Opal told Michael and disappeared into Liz's room.

Michael went into the kitchen and found LaLa still sitting at the table.

"How's ma mama Mista Michael?" LaLa asked looking up at Michael with food everywhere except in her mouth. LaLa loved to eat but somehow managed to always get food everywhere. Maria wondered if she actually ever digested anything.

"She's sleeping," Michael said trying not to laugh at LaLa. She looked so cute and so much like Maria.

"I'm finished," she exclaimed and pushed herself back from the table sprinting towards Michael.

"Hold on there you," Michael said catching LaLa by her shoulders before she smeared her hot sauce ketchup covered hands and face on anything. He picked her up and carried her towards Maria's room. LaLa raised her hand and started to rub her eye. "NO," he grabbed her hand before it reached her eye. "Don't do that, you'll get hot sauce in your eye and then your eyes will burn."

"But I'm sleepy," LaLa yawned right in Michael's face. She laid her head on his shoulder. By the time they made it to the bathroom LaLa had rubbed her face on Michael's shirt but her hands were still hanging off the sides of his shoulders.

"I'm just gonna wipe off your hands and face and then you can go to sleep, ok?" Michael said smiling at the exhausted little girl. He sat her down on the toilet seat and got a warm soapy towel. He thoroughly wiped her hands and face and rinsed out the towel and placed it over the side of the sink.

Michael picked LaLa up and walked over to Maria's bed. He sat her down on the bed and pulled the rubber band off her ponytail.

"Do you want pajamas?" Michael asked her.

"No," she yawned again. LaLa hugged Michael and kissed him on the cheek.

"Goodnight," he smiled and pulled the covers back.

"Goodnight Mista Michael" LaLa said before she turned over and wrapped herself up in the comforter "thank you," she mumbled before falling straight to sleep.

Michael turned off the light and TV and pulled the door. He walked into the kitchen and took the pots off the stove and put them in the refrigerator. He didn't know where they kept their bowls, and didn't wanna risk waking them by digging through the cabinets looking for them.

Opal had already put her paper plate in the garbage, so he grabbed LaLa's and threw it along with the remaining scraps of food on it in the trash. After wetting the dish towel, he wiped off the table and clicked off the light while he pitched the dish towel back into the sink.

Michael walked out into the living room and saw that Liz had rotated and was on her back and Maria was still laying on her with her feet propped up on the other arm of the couch.

Michael pulled the sheet over them and went to turn the air condition down. He went over to the closet where Max had gotten the sheet from and got a blanket. He opened the blanket and lightly threw it over them just in case it got too chilly for them. Knowing one of them would wake up in the middle of the night scrambling in the dark for more cover.

Michael pressed a kiss to Maria's head and turned out the light.

"This, I could get used to," Michael said out loud and left the apartment.

Part 3 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.