FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Experiment"
Part 17
by LivE
Disclaimer: Nothing Roswell is mine, sadly!!!
Summary: This takes place two weeks after Destiny. Someone from the alien’s race contacts them and takes them to a camp where they were to receive training before returning to their planet. Or maybe for something else! Read and find out…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Journal Entry 24

Physical contact for procreation and mating. Our people never needed more. Yet, it means so much to humans. I wonder at this need of theirs to touch. Does it create a closer bond than we could ever manufacture?

"Max, please!" Liz clung to his hand and her eyes filled with tears. She knew she should try to be strong, but this fear was clawing at her with icy fingers. Maybe if she didn’t let him leave, nothing would happen…

Max turned back after closing his bag and embraced her. "Liz… Honey, don’t cry. What is wrong? You know I’ll be back."

‘But that’s just it’, she wanted to scream, ‘what if you don’t!’ Instead she bit her lip and tried to climb into his body. Into his welcoming, loving warmth that she couldn’t live without. "Please… please be careful."

Max felt like his heart was being ripped out of his chest. He never coped very well with her tears or pain. It was even worse when he was the cause of it. What was going on with Liz? She was normally so strong.

He caught her chin in his hand and lifted her face so he could look into her eyes. They were wet and fearful. "We have to go see Nacedo. Something went wrong with his project or something. He said we must meet him tomorrow morning and its really far to drive… Liz, please! I can’t leave you like this."

A small part of her wanted to cry even harder, to force him to stay, but she knew she could never do that. So she swallowed back her tears and nodded weakly. "I’m okay. I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s wrong with me." She flung her arms around his neck, hugging him desperately. "I’ll miss you! Max, I love you so much."

Max lifted her up with one arm, so her face was on the same level as his. He gently cupped her cheek. "I love you too. I’m sorry I have to leave you tonight… of all nights." His eyes burned into hers before he slowly met her lips. He poured all the love he felt for her into that one kiss. Communicating the depths of his feelings for her without words.

Liz was crying by the end of the kiss. It felt like she was kissing him goodbye forever. She had to force herself to let go of him as he finally slid her back to the ground. She stifled her sobs and bit her lip again, trailing behind Max out of the tent, her hand still gripped in his.

Max could feel the tension and distress from Liz bombarding his senses. He had trouble propelling his feet forward to the group waiting at the Jeep. Michael, Isabel… and Tess. Max felt Liz start to tremble when she realized who was going with him. He didn’t know what to say to her. She couldn’t still be worried that he would leave her for Tess, could she?

He stopped a few paces away from the others, the fact that a lot of the camp’s people had gathered to watch them leave was barely registering. "Liz." But he didn’t finish his sentence. Because in Liz’s eyes were fear, not jealousy or doubt. Pure unadulterated fear. His breath caught in his throat as he realized she was scared for him. "Honey, I’ll be fine!" He tried to sound as reassuring as he could. "We’re only meeting him and coming back. I won’t be gone for more than three days. I promise!"

Liz brushed the wetness from her cheeks hurriedly. She could see Tess watching her emotional display with disgust. The blonde girl obviously thought Liz was overwrought because Max was leaving her alone for a few days. She bowed her head and whispered: "Be careful. Please." She prayed that Max would loosen his death grip on her hand, so she could run back to the tent and break down in private, but he didn’t. Instead he pulled her with him to the Jeep, seemingly unwilling to loose contact with her too soon.

Max flung his bag into the Jeep and checked that everyone else was ready. Michael and Isabel said quick good bye’s to their respective loves and got in the Jeep with Tess. Max looked at Liz. She looked so small and vulnerable that he had trouble not breaking down and staying. She was rubbing silent tears away again, trying very hard to be brave. He caught her in a bear hug, pressing his face in her hair. "Oh god Liz, this is killing me." He kissed her neck and shoulder and every place he could reach, eliciting soft gasps from the crowd. His lips finally traveled over her beloved face, gently covering her eyelids and nose, before he brushed her mouth in a heartachingly sweet kiss.

Liz clutched at his shirt, kissing him back with unexpected passion. She thrust her tongue into his mouth, her movements full of urgency. She pressed her body into his, hoping his heat would burn away the cold fear in her heart.

"Uhm, Max. I’ll take Liz now." Alex’s voice was low and apologetic. He had inched forward after getting a look from Isabel that he needed to break up this make-out session. He took a step back when Max glared at him after lifting his mouth from Liz’s. He looked like he wanted to hurt whoever tries to take Liz from him.

Liz was shivering. Partly from the reaction of her body to Max’s kiss, but mostly from fear.

Nick appeared next to Max. "You must go now."

Max had trouble getting his eyes to look at anything but Liz. "I love you." His voice was strong and sure. Leaning down, he placed another lingering kiss on her lips, before he pressed her into Nick’s arms. "I hold you responsible for her safety." His gaze was saying the rest. ‘She is my heart. If anything happens to her, you wouldn’t want to live.’

"Max." Liz couldn’t say anything more. His name has always been her mantra for warding of evil. Without thinking, she clung to Nick’s arm in an effort to stop herself from running back to Max.

Max got in the Jeep and drove off, not looking back at Liz. If he did, he would turn back around…

After a few miles, he stopped the car. "Michael, please drive."

Michael looked at him in surprise. Max seemed truly upset. In fact, he looked like he had tears in his eyes. It was on the tip of Michael’s tongue to say that Max should get over it, he was only leaving Liz for a few days, but Izzy’s hand on his shoulder stopped him.

Settling himself in the passenger seat, Max clenched his hands into fists. They were separated by miles of desert sand and he could still feel her emotions. He hated leaving Liz like that! Nacedo better have a real emergency or he would definitely hurt the guy.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz stood staring at the place where the Jeep disappeared for a long time. She didn’t even notice that she was still clinging to Nick, or that he seemed at a loss as to what to do with her now. Neither did she notice the quizzical glances from the people still milling about.

Alex and Maria eventually came over and took Liz from Nick’s arms. She seemed dazed and Maria looked worried. "Okay Liz, you are freaking me out here. What’s up with the tears? Prince Charming will be back in a few days."

Tears welled up in Liz’s eyes again. "Oh Maria, I have this terrible feeling about him! Something’s going to happen while he’s away."

Maria hugged her tightly, looking at Alex over her shoulder. Alex only shrugged, he was at a complete loss as to what was going on with their friend. They ended up taking her to the tent and helping her to bed, staying until she fell into a restless sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Liz was dreaming of Max. He was smiling at her and holding her hand. She felt enveloped in his love and was drowning in the warmth of his eyes when unseen hands suddenly ripped him from her side. Liz screamed as she ran in the direction she had seen him last. "Max!"

Comforting hands smoothed over her brow, chasing away the terrors of her dreams. Max was back in her dream as if he had never left. His voice calming her down and promising a beautiful future. Liz felt her fears diminish as she snuggled closer to Max. Her rock and her other half…

~*~*~*~*~*~

Max had woken up with Liz’s cry for him ringing in his ears. He was shaking in reaction, the fear in her voice was something he never wished to hear for real. He hoped it was just his reaction to her emotional state this afternoon and not one of those shared dreams of theirs. But he suspected he was hoping in vain.

Isabel was driving now, while Michael and Tess were sleeping in the back seat. A silent agreement between Isabel and Michael kept Max and Tess from sharing the same space in the Jeep.

Max rubbed his face tiredly. He closed his eyes again, picturing Liz as she had looked this afternoon during the bonding ceremony. Every time he thought she couldn’t be more beautiful to him, he ended up being proven wrong. He sighed. Was he ever going to get a normal life with Liz? A house in the suburbs and kids? Could he even have kids? What would happen if he made love to Liz? He had been ready to throw all caution to the wind earlier today. All those years of wanting Liz Parker and she finally were his. How was he supposed to live through this without losing his sanity or the girl he loved more than life itself?

~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick continued running his hand over Liz’s hair until she seemed peaceful. His eyes were closed as he concentrated on shaping her dream. When he was satisfied that she was okay, he sat back on his haunches next to the bed and watched her sleep. This frail-looking girl who had bewitched his leader. This girl who was much more powerful than she realized. Who was so much more important to his people than she knew. No, she was not just important, she was vital.

Part 16 | Index | Part 18
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.