FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Experiment"
Part 1
by LivE
Disclaimer: Nothing Roswell is mine, sadly!!!
Summary: This takes place two weeks after Destiny. Someone from the alien’s race contacts them and takes them to a camp where they were to receive training before returning to their planet. Or maybe for something else! Read and find out…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Journal Entry 1

How different they are from us! We told them that we were coming for them tonight. They seemed stunned. Suspicious at first, and then stunned. We carefully watched their moves after we left them. They all went to the other three… Why these particular people? What is it that drives them together?

Max stood outside her window, staring at her sleeping form. He couldn’t stay long, the others were waiting downstairs in the Jeep. She was curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed, hugging herself and the pain in his chest was becoming more unbearable with each passing moment. He hasn’t talked to her much since that day she left him to his destiny at the cave. They both knew why she did it, and he couldn’t blame her for knowing him better than he knew himself. For knowing that he had to come to terms with all these changes, before they could be together again. But now… now he had to leave.

His feet felt like lead as he slowly approached her bed. He prayed that she wouldn’t wake up, because he didn’t think he could go through with this if she did. The moon found each shiny strand of her hair and he ached to run his fingers through it one last time. He knelt by her bed, staring at her face. She was still the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He clenched his hands in her bedspread in an effort to keep from touching her. There were tear streaks on her cheeks and they made him die inside a little more. "I love you, Liz. Always." His voice was barely more that a whisper and thick with unshed tears. He placed the single white rose he had taken from his mother’s garden on her nightstand. Looking back at her, he repeated the promise that was written on the piece of paper that lay next to it: "Forever." If it were ever possible, he would return…

~*~*~*~*~*~

It happened early this morning. He waited until the Evans’ had gone to work before he went to see them. He told them his name was Nick and that he had come to find his leader. He explained that there was a group of them living here on earth. They were here to find Max and the others and teach them all they needed to know before they could all return to their planet. Max had demanded proof and he touched him, creating a connection that flooded him with images. Images of their mother and their planet. Images of them being put in the pods. Images of the crash. Max had stared at him in disbelief. Nick had apologized for the short notice, but said that others knew of them too by now and that they had to leave in a hurry. He would pick them up tonight and take them to the camp. Max’s people were waiting…

~*~*~*~*~*~

It was late at night by the time they arrived at the designated area where they were to be picked up. Max stood staring at the lights of Roswell on the horizon. Somewhere in that bundle of lights, slept his love. He felt like his chest was in an ever tightening vice for the third time in his life. The first time was when Liz was shot, the second when he watched her walk away from him on the day he learned about his cursed destiny. His hands balled into fists in the pockets of his pants. How was he supposed to leave without her? How was he supposed to LIVE without her?

He knew she still loved him, he knew he loved her, but what could he tell her that would change his destiny? By some unspoken agreement, they had decided to stay away from each other until they had more answers. Being together only to be torn apart later would be too hard… He didn’t want to leave, but how could he not do what she had freed him to do? Learn about his history and figure out his destiny. More importantly, figure out how she could fit into his destiny…

The were so caught up in their own little worlds of pain, that none of them realized that one member of their alien quartet had apparently not been invited…

~*~*~*~*~*~

Journal Entry 2

It has begun. I picked them up in the desert and gave him his first test. The reactions were telling… The other two looked uncomfortable, but the leader, he showed only shock.

Michael was the first to break the silence that hung between them. "Why the hell isn’t he here yet?" Max turned around at that, and for a moment, the other two saw a glimmer of the old Max, the one that Liz had brought out from behind the tree. His eyes were filled with such sorrow and loss for a moment, that Isabel gasped in reaction. Then the mask slid back in place, cutting off all emotion from his onlookers.

"We’ll wait another hour, the we-." Max was cut off by another voice.

"Don’t worry, we’re here!" Nick called from the darkness surrounding them. "We had unexpected business to take care of, but we’re ready to leave now." He came closer to Max, watching him intently as he brought the person walking behind him into full view.

Tess.

Max stepped back involuntarily. The jumble of emotions at seeing his "bride" rendered him speechless. Tess didn’t have the same problem. She’s finally going to be alone with him away from Liz Parker. Even though Max and Liz were not together, her presence in the same vicinity as Max was still all that was needed to make Max focus on only one thing: the slender dark-haired girl that held his heart. Tess smiled at him. "Hi, Max! Can’t go home without me can you?" She walked over to him, causing Max to retreat from her further. Tess stopped, uncertain. She had assumed that the fact that Max and the others were here meant that they had accepted their destinies. But Max was looking at her as if he was hoping this was a nightmare that would go away soon.

Michael broke the tense silence. "Hi Tess. We… ah, we’re just surprised to see you!" Isabel elbowed him and he realized how that had sounded. "I mean we thought we’d meet you at the camp, I guess…" He trailed off, not knowing how to help his friend… his BROTHER, through this awkward moment.

"I can’t do this." Max’s voice was soft. He turned around, looking towards Roswell again. He was shaking and Michael and Isabel rushed to his sides. Isabel hugged him and spoke in a low, urgent whisper. "Max, please! We need you! This isn’t necessarily forever…" Max stood with his head bowed for another minute and then he squared his shoulders, as if gearing up for battle.

He turned to Nick, but continued to avoid Tess’ eyes. "Let’s go. Isabel, Michael and I will follow in the Jeep." He spun on his heels, not waiting to see if anyone was following his instructions.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Journal Entry 3

We will be arriving at the camp soon. The others have ahead to prepare for their arrival. I can’t wait to see their faces when they see our other surprises! But we’ll show them tomorrow. Springing Tess on them was enough for one night. This experiment is turning out to be more interesting that I anticipated.

The drive to the camp was completed in thundering silence. Max had closed his mind off from everything and only concentrated on following the taillights of the car in front of him. He was afraid to think or feel, because he knew he would lose it if he did. His heart was torn into little pieces by the goodbye to Liz and to top it all off, he would be stuck with his destiny bride for however long this training is going to take. He clutched the steering wheel in a death grip, not paying particular attention to where they were going. He didn’t think it was possible for anyone to be in such pain and not die…

They had driven for about three hours when the camp came into view. It was a sprawling assortment of tents and vehicles and the sight made Max feel sick. Yes, he had always dreamed of what meeting people of his own kind would be like, but his dream had never looked like this. Somehow, he had always pictured the scene to be more joyous. And in his dreams, Liz had been at his side.

A small crowd had assembled by the time the vehicles came to a halt in the middle of the camp. Max got out and helped Isabel alight from the back of the Jeep. She clutched his hand desperately and he shook himself mentally. Izzy, who was normally the Ice Queen herself, was scared and he needed to be strong for her. He swallowed, fighting down all the emotions that threatened to overwhelm him.

The people bowed low before them when the turned around. Isabel had to fight down hysterical laughter. These people were worshipping her controlling brother! She looked up at Max and saw his grim expression as his hand tightened around hers. He was just as uncomfortable with the whole experience.

Nick, with Tess at his side, stepped forward to welcome them. "Welcome to all of you! We have waited and searched for you for so long. Our people are proud to finally meet you and know that your parents would have been thrilled to see how well you’ve grown up." Max was getting irritated by the man’s speech. He desperately needed to be someplace by himself so he could deal with all that has happened to him today.

He looked around at all the expectant faces around him. They were all staring at him with a kind of awe and he wanted to scream at them all. Scream at them for taking Liz from him. For reminding him that he was not human. For expecting so much from a 17-year old guy. ‘Liz, I need you so right now!’ But his mouth stayed shut.

When Nick finally ended his spiel, Max only mumbled: "Thank you."

Nick took them to their tents afterwards, saying that it was late and they were probably tired. Max and Michael got their own tents, but Isabel and Tess shared one. They were too stressed and tired to question why.

Max stumbled into his tent and crawled into bed. Reaction was setting in. He had to fight down the tears and took deep breaths to calm himself. He needed to rest so he could figure out what to do about all he had learned today. He closed his eyes and prayed for sleep. Then he felt it, a whisper of something at the edge of his consciousness. It went away before he could grasp it, but for a moment, just for a moment, it had felt like… Liz was near.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.