FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Experiment"
Part 28
by LivE
Disclaimer: Nothing Roswell is mine, sadly!!!
Summary: This takes place two weeks after Destiny. Someone from the alien’s race contacts them and takes them to a camp where they were to receive training before returning to their planet. Or maybe for something else! Read and find out…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
They were all waiting breathlessly for Max’s reaction to Nick’s proposal. Max was standing like a statue, the only movement his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. A war was clearly going on inside him.

Liz could feel Max shutting down his emotions from where she stood watching the face-off between him and Nick. He was mentally stepping back from anything that could cause heartache to the people he loved. To her…

Rushing into speech, Nick tried to defuse some of the tension in the room. "We would stay out of your way, we would just… watch over you."

Michael decided to step in since he could see Max was seeing horror-movies about Liz being killed in his head. "Max, he talks sense. As long as they don’t bother us, where’s the problem?"

Max finally came out of his trance. "Yeah, I guess you’re right." He looked at Nick again and Nick flinched at the desolation in his eyes. "Do whatever you have to do. But nothing that influences our lives before you talk to me."

Nick understood exactly what he meant. No more tests and genetic mates being sprung on them. And especially nothing that would upset Liz. He wondered about the fact that Max seemed to avoid looking at Liz. What was going on? He feared that his desperate attempt to get Max to allow them to protect the three have backfired in some way that he had not foreseen.

Michael also watched Max’s reaction and he knew his friend was thinking up ways to get Liz out of harm’s way. He also knew what Max would come up with. Staying away from her… He had hoped Max had learned his lesson the previous times he tried to stay away from Liz: never worked, never would work, dead loss even trying. A movement from Liz caught his eye. She had a determined look on her face and Michael promptly felt sorry for Max. He was in for it tonight. And this time, Liz had even more weapons in her arsenal to bring him to his knees. Yeah, what he wouldn’t give to be a fly on that wall!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Max came back from the showers to find Liz packing. She was wearing one of his shirts and her damp hair streamed down her back. His heart stopped when he thought that this might be their last night together for a really long time. Until he was sure she was safe…

Liz had felt his presence and knew he was watching her, but she didn’t acknowledge him. The ball was in his court now and she waited to see what he intended to do. His actions since their talk with Nick had hinted that he was in one of his its-better-if-I-stay-away-from-Liz moods and she was not going to stand for it. So she had taken a shower and put on one of his button-down shirts… and nothing else. He was going to admit that he wanted to stay with her even if she had to torture it out of him.

He watched her movements, graceful and sensual and he felt torn in two. How many times had he stood at this crossroad before? And where had all his previous decisions brought him? Right to this spot. This spot from where he could watch his mate, his future wife, his lover and not be with her? Could he even do that? He felt his resolve wavering in the light of her spectacular beauty.

"Liz…" He needed to tell her. He needed to tell her now or he never would. His eyes hungrily followed her movements as she straightened from her task. The shirt reached to mid-thigh when she stood before him and he couldn’t stop his hand from reaching out to touch the smooth skin where the hem of the shirt ended. He wanted more than anything not to tell her his decision tonight. He wished he could wait until tomorrow morning and allow himself one more night with her in his arms. But that would be lying to her. And she deserved better.

"Liz." But his throat wouldn’t work to tell her they needed to stay away from each other. Not with her staring up at him with lights and passion dancing in her eyes. Not with the heat of her body teasing him with dreams of heaven. Not with the knowledge that he would never love like this again.

"I can’t do this." He suddenly blurted out. "I can’t be without you. Ever again!"

Liz had been steeling herself for the fight that was coming and his words completely deflated her. "What are you talking about, Max? Did you plan on being without me?"

He brought his other hand up to her face. "I need you to be safe. I thought maybe… But I now know that more than anything, I need to be the one to keep you safe. With me. Is that… Is that okay with you? I mean, these guys will be looking for you and—."

"Max Evans! If you ever ask me again whether I would be willing to take chances to be with you, I’m going to use my new self-defense tricks on you! I love you! Together we are stronger."

Max stared at her in amazement. She had known all along what he was so afraid to say. And she had been ready to battle him about it. "I… I’m sorry?"

She retreated from him. "Do you love me?"

"Of course! How… How can you even ask me that?"

"Would you love me whether or not we were together?"

Max realized he was truly in trouble. Only an idiot would not be able to see where this line of questioning was headed. "Yeah, but Liz I--."

"But Liz nothing! They would use me in any case. Because you love me. Not because we are dating or not."

Max held up his hands. Liz could be really scary when she was angry. Really scary, but really sexy. "Hey! I get it! I… I’ll never do it again?"

They stared at each other before bursting out laughing. Max felt like a huge burden had been lifted from his shoulders. He would keep Liz close. Well, not so close that her father would try to kill him, but close enough that he could keep an eye on her. To see that she was safe and also… because he loved looking at her.

Liz had seen the change in his gaze immediately. It felt like fingers of fire were trailing her body wherever his eyes traveled. She decided to give him what he deserved for even thinking of stepping back again anyway, so she retreated when he came towards her.

Max stopped in confusion. Was she still mad at him? His eyes widened and his heart slammed to a halt when he saw her unbuttoning the shirt slowly, her eyes never leaving his face.

"Its good that you came to your senses, because I was kind off hoping I wouldn’t have to show you that you would be missing this." She slid the shirt off her shoulders, letting it trail from her fingers as she finally walked towards him…

~*~*~*~*~*~

Journal Entry 36

They were going home. And I worry about them. These human emotions of love and caring have overtaken our camp in the two weeks they were here. We have set up teams to watch over each of them. We are working on getting houses and other covers for this job. We cannot let the others find them…

They were quiet on the way back to Roswell. Max held Liz’s hand whenever he didn’t have to change gears and Michael and Maria sat huddled together in the back seat. Isabel and Alex were in a car with Nick.

Max dropped Maria off first and waited patiently for Michael to return from the farewell at her door. Michael was next, mainly because Max didn’t want an audience for his goodbye to Liz. He stopped in the alley behind the Crashdown, hoping it would give them some privacy. Liz was in his lap immediately, kissing him passionately and urgently. Had it only been about four hours since they were together this morning? Already they were feeling the loss of their impending separation.

The lack of space was getting uncomfortable and Max stumbled out of the Jeep with Liz in his arms. She curled her legs around his waist and hung on, not breaking off the kiss. He ended up lifting her onto the seat he had just vacated. His hands slid underneath her shirt, caressing the soft skin of her back. How he loved kissing her!

"Liz!" Jeff Parker’s voice intruded into their passionate haze with a vengeance. Max pulled away and looked at Liz worriedly. This was not a great start to their new relationship. He had also not made a great impression on the man he hoped to call his father-in-law one-day! ‘Great going Evans!’

Part 27 | Index | Part 29
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.