FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Experiment"
Part 29
by LivE
Disclaimer: Nothing Roswell is mine, sadly!!!
Summary: This takes place two weeks after Destiny. Someone from the alien’s race contacts them and takes them to a camp where they were to receive training before returning to their planet. Or maybe for something else! Read and find out…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Journal Entry 37

They are home… literally. Back in the world where they belong. The world that is so foreign to us, but one that would hopefully not be as foreign to our children. And for now they only have to face normal human problems…

Liz turned to her father who was standing in the backdoor of the Crashdown, a frown creasing his face. Luckily the seat had been shielding him from seeing too much of what was going on between her and Max, but he probably saw enough of the heat of their kiss to get concerned. Liz decided to play it cool, but she had trouble not shivering when Max removed his hands slowly from beneath her shirt. "Hi Dad!"

"Hi Lizzie." Jeff watched Max with suspicion. He remembered quite clearly that this was the same young man that had kept Liz out all night not so long ago. They had managed to convince him then that nothing too intimate had happened, but the kiss he just witnessed was screaming of something he did not even want to think about. He saw Max straighten his shoulders and face him squarely.

"Hi Mr. Parker." Max could see the various emotions flitting across Liz’s Dad’s face and he didn’t blame him. He suspected if he ever saw some guy mauling his daughter like that, he would flatten the guy.

"Max." Jeff’s voice was neutral. He would talk to Liz before jumping to conclusions. Apart from a few incidents, which coming to think of it all included this Max, she had never given him and Nancy anything to worry about. He stood his ground, making it clear that he wasn’t going inside without Liz.

Max helped Liz get her stuff from the car and unconsciously took her hand as they walked over to her father. Since Jeff was still standing in the door, he ended up handing her gear to her father. Turning to Liz, his voice was low when he said goodbye. He gripped her hand fiercely, hoping that somehow she could feel how hard it was for him to let her go and walk away. That she would feel how desperately he wanted to kiss her one last time.

Liz smiled up at him, but her eyes were filming with tears. She decided to ignore her father’s menacing presence and hugged Max fiercely, whispering goodbye in his ear. She turned away quickly when she disentangled herself from his arms, hoping to shield her wet eyes from his gaze, but his voice stopped her.

"Liz."

He knew. He knew how she felt and it was killing him to let her go like that. Liz knew she had to get away before she really started bawling, so she just mumbled ‘goodbye Max’ and took off up the stairs.

Jeff observed this whole scene with trepidation. It was clear that something intense was going on between his daughter and Max. He wasn’t sure that he was all that comfortable with it. But he also couldn’t help noticing how protective Max was of Liz. And that, at least, earned him some points in Jeff’s book.

Max was staring at the top of the stairs where Liz had disappeared. His heart ached for her. He wished he could go and comfort her. He also wished that it didn’t feel like it would be forever before he could see her again.

"So Max, what is going on between you and Liz?" Jeff came right to the point.

Recovering from his initial shock at the question, Max realized that a lot was riding on his answer. He needed to stick as close to the truth as he possibly could, while leaving out the parts of an alien bonding ceremony and an engagement. He met Jeff’s gaze. "I’m in love with your daughter, Mr. Parker."

Jeff was speechless. What do you say to that? ‘You are too young to know what love means’? ‘Break her heart and I’ll kill you’? None of these responses seem fitting in the light of the sincerity in Max’s eyes. So he ended up just nodding. "I’ll take her stuff up."

"Mr. Parker!" Max was taking a chance. "Is it okay if I come pick Liz up for a movie tonight?"

The words hung in the air for a few tense moments before Jeff turned back to Max. "Just don’t make it a late show, she looks really tired." Again he couldn’t help but notice the happiness and relief on Max’s face. He suddenly felt sorry for the guy. He obviously had it bad for Lizzie.

Max stared after Mr. Parker and exhaled the breath he hadn’t even realized he had been holding. Maybe, just maybe, things would work out for him and Liz this time…

~*~*~*~*~*~

Journal Entry 38 (Final)

And so our experiment has come to an end. There is hope for our people here on earth. A hope that started with the love between our young leader and a human girl.

Love.

A word and emotion so foreign to my people now seems like it was always a part of us. I watched the impact of this emotion on these six young people and I’m stunned that the human race is not much stronger because of it. Instead, they use this emotion to hurt and weaken one another. Will this happen to my people once they integrate into humanity? Unfortunately I think it would. In each race of people there are the good and strong, but also the weak and evil.

Aaron and Kayla, your son IS the savior of our people as we had hoped. Not in the manner you had initially planned, but in another more exiting and surprising way. He led the way for integration into humanity and showed us that we could learn to adapt on this new planet. He also showed us that there are humans that could become even closer to us than any mate our genetic coding could ever manufacture.

Her name is Liz.

She makes him strong and she loves him unconditionally. She has character, intelligence and beauty. You could not have chosen him a better mate yourselves. They have a connection the strength of which I had never seen before. They shine when they are together. And yes, physical intimacy with humans is possible. We still have to learn about children, but I am positive that even that uncertainty can be overcome in time.

Your daughter is beautiful. She is strong and a worthy princess for our people. She supports and helps Max because she loves him too. Their bond is not one of obligation, but one of choice and caring.

Max’s second-in-command is a worthy warrior. I had watched as he saved his leader’s life on more than one occasion. He is having trouble adapting to human life, but I think he is on the way to finding himself.

I am sad that these young people will never see our beautiful planet. That they will never get to meet their parents. But they have made a life for themselves here on earth. A good life. One filled with each other and the humans that care about them.

We have a long way to go before we can rest easy about our futures here on this planet. The others are here and we don’t know how many they are or how much they know about us. Keeping these three important members of our race alive is our goal now…

Part 28 | Index | Part 1
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.