FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Forging of a Lifebond"
Part 6
by Tasyfa
Disclaimer: This story is not affiliated in any way with Roswell or the WB. No copyright infringement was intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: This takes place after RTM/ARCC, about mid-January after everyone's back in school. This story is dedicated to bluecornmoon for her support and encouragement in my writing endeavours.
The mutterings faded away as the six of them moved out of the pod chamber, but the seed had already been planted. Max just stood there, shaken to his core by the idea. He looked up only as Liz came up to him, stopping just short of contact.

“Max,” she said softly, “Let’s go. Once we get back to town, come over. We need to talk.”

“Liz, I don’t—I can’t—I—ah, hell!” he burst out, nearly in tears. Liz nodded.

“It’s OK, Max. We’ll talk about it later. Let’s just go now.” She touched his cheek, ignoring the brightening of the granolith. “All right?” she asked.

Max shrugged, but followed her out of the chamber, into the unusually warm desert night. They reached the parking area just after the rest of the group. Liz went to talk to Maria, and Max went to the Jeep to speak to Kyle and Tess.

“Maria, we’re going to go in the Jeep with Isabel and Alex. It just makes more sense, since Max is going to the same place,” Liz smiled.

Maria shrugged. “Sure, whatever. I’ll call you tomorrow, then.”

Liz nodded and walked over to the Jeep, smiling at Tess and Kyle as they passed her on their way to the Jetta. Her stomach in knots, she climbed into the back seat beside Max. He looked at her and reached for her hand, holding it tightly as Isabel started the Jeep and swung out onto the road.

They rode back in companionable silence, Liz resting her head on Max’s shoulder, listening to Alex and Isabel talk about one of their teachers. When they reached the Crashdown, Liz kissed Max lingeringly, then gave him a look and said, “See ya.” He nodded, echoing, “See ya.” He brushed her hair back and she smiled, then said goodbye to Isabel and Alex and got out of the Jeep.

After dropping off Alex, Isabel pulled up outside the Evans home. Max had moved to sit beside her, and he put his hand out, preventing her from turning off the engine.

“Don’t bother, Iz. There’s something I’ve got to do. Tell Mom—whatever, it doesn’t matter. You don’t know where I am, but you’re sure I’m fine,” he said.

Isabel stared at him. “You’re going back, aren’t you? With Liz. To…”

“Isabel,” Max said quellingly, “Enough, already. I know what I’m doing.”

“Do you? Do you really?” she queried. “You’ve been back together for what, all of 24 hours, and now this? It’s too soon, Max.” Max just looked at her, and Isabel threw up her hands in defeat, climbing out of the Jeep as its engine stalled. She stood on the curb, hands on her hips, glaring at him. Max sighed.

“It’s not your decision to make, Iz,” he said, fatigue evident in his voice. “It’s just…”

“I know,” Isabel told him. “I do know. I think you’re rushing it, is all. And it isn’t just your decision either, Max,” she observed.

Max ran a hand through his hair. “That’s the weird part,” he admitted. “This is kind of her idea, not mine.” Isabel blinked in surprise, then smiled.

“She’s probably dying of curiosity, Max. Wondering what the granolith will do as much as—wait, you heard us didn’t you,” she stated.

“Yeah,” Max nodded. “It feels strange to be contemplating this. I know it’s fast, but—it feels right, Izzy. Like nothing else ever has. Liz is…” he groped for words. Isabel put her hand over his.

“I know, Max. I know what she means to you, and what you mean to her. But, still, think about it. Do you want your first time to be some sort of science experiment? Because I promise you, Liz will be dividing her attention between you and the granolith. That busy mind of hers isn’t going to disengage just because she’s with you. Is that how you want it to be—especially for your first time?” she asked him.

“No! God, no. I never—that didn’t even occur to me,” Max exclaimed, disgusted with himself for not seeing it. Isabel laughed. “Understandable, brother dear. You are a little distracted!” she commented. Max laughed a little, then sobered as she fixed a look he knew on him.

“Max, do you have something?” she asked seriously. He looked perplexed, and she sighed, exasperated.

“Protection, Max. Do you have some?” Isabel enunciated each syllable. Max felt himself growing red as he shook his head, no. Isabel sighed again and reached into her purse, pulling out a 3-pack box of condoms and handing it to him. Max looked at the box, then back at Isabel, his lips forming the question. She shook her head and smiled.

“Don’t ask. Just—be careful, OK? This is not something to take lightly, Max. Make sure that you’re ready—that you are both ready. Will you promise me that much?” she asked.

Max nodded, his throat closing as tears appeared in his eyes. “I promise, Iz. And—thank you,” he whispered. She slapped his hand.

“Get out of here, Romeo. You shouldn’t keep a lady waiting. I’ll think of something to tell Mom, don’t worry,” she winked.

Max smiled gratefully and restarted the engine. He drove down the street as Isabel disappeared into the house, and eventually parked on a side street a few blocks from the Crashdown. He slowly walked up the street towards Liz’s home. He looked at the box Isabel had given him and stuffed it into the back pocket of his jeans as he reached the café and slipped down the alley. Max climbed the ladder to Liz’s balcony as quietly as possible. Reaching the top, he strode across to her window and was about to knock when it opened and Liz poked her head out.

“Hi,” she said. “Give me a sec.” She withdrew her head and disappeared into her bathroom, emerging a moment later. She grabbed a folded blanket from the foot of her bed and climbed out the window to stand beside Max.

He noticed that she had changed into a thin pink sweater and khakis. He suddenly wished that he had stopped to at least change his shirt. Liz had to have seen this old gray T-shirt dozens of times before. Not to mention that his post-P. E. class shower seemed like an awfully long time ago, now.

Liz tugged on his arm. “Come on, let’s go. We can talk when we get there.”

They went to the ladder and climbed down, practically running to the Jeep once they were both on the ground. Max started the engine as Liz buckled herself in, putting the blanket on the floor between her feet. He put the Jeep in gear and drove out of town.

The drive was quiet. Liz watched the stars, the unseasonably warm wind whipping back her long hair. She laid one hand on Max’s thigh, smiling when he glanced at it then at her.

It was a good thing that they saw no other vehicles on the road as they drove through the desert, because most of Max’s attention was focussed on the heat spreading through his body from that oh-so-innocent hand on his thigh. He consciously controlled his breathing, not wanting Liz to know how even her most casual touch affected him.

Liz felt as light and free as the air around her. She felt almost as if she could fly. Her blood sang in her veins from Max’s warmth under her palm. She thought of what she’d said to Future Max. She hadn’t been ready; not then. Now, though…now, it was different. It was as if everything in her life had led up to this moment, and she had never been so sure of anything.

Unconsciously she rubbed her hand across Max’s leg, her fingers dangling across his inner thigh. Max bit back a moan as he tried not to think about how close her fingers were to his groin. Another inch and…ruthlessly he quashed that thought and focussed on mud as he pulled the Jeep into a secluded spot and turned off the engine. Liz sighed, her eyes still on the sky above them.

“It’s a beautiful night,” she remarked softly, her hand sliding across his thigh again. Max swallowed as her fingers closed the gap, then growled as they brushed against him.

Liz jerked her head down to look at him, to find him reaching for her. His fingers tangled in the dark glory of her hair and he drew her head to his, capturing her lips in an aggressive kiss. Her sudden forward motion caused Liz to splay her hands to keep her balance, and she realized exactly where her hand was: braced squarely against Max’s groin.

As he continued his assault on her mouth, his tongue demanding and receiving entrance, Liz melted against him. She took advantage of her earlier unconscious action and began to fondle Max deliberately, her warm fingers caressing him through the denim.

After being teased for so long, Max was teetering on the brink. He grasped Liz’s wandering hand, removing it as he came up for air. Liz’s lashes were dark against her cheeks, her lips still parted as he withdrew. Her eyes fluttered open.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, a hint of a quiver in her voice. Max sighed and kissed her forehead.

“Nothing that further development of my self-control wouldn’t cure,” he said wryly. Relief filled Liz’s face, followed by mischief.

“You mean I nearly…” she stopped as Max held up a hand, his thumb and forefinger held close together.

“That close,” he admitted, a little embarrassed. Liz laughed delightedly and gave him a quick kiss, snuggling into his shoulder. Max was amazed at her reaction. “You’re not upset?” he asked, confused. Liz laughed.

“No way. I like knowing that,” she faltered. “Well, that I can make you feel the same way you make me feel,” she finished in a whisper. Max titled her head back to look at her. He had an incredulous look on his face and Liz giggled.

“I—do that to you?” he asked, disbelief evident in his voice. Liz nodded slightly, serious now. She held his gaze.

“You do,” she confirmed softly. “You make me feel like nothing else exists beyond you and I, and the way we feel about each other.” Max caressed her hair, caught by the truth he read in her face.

“I never dreamed...I knew I could, like, turn you on, but if you feel what I feel—Good Lord!” he breathed. Liz smiled at him, love shining from her.

“Let’s go into the granolith chamber, Max. Right now,” she added, watching his emotions flit across his face. At last he nodded and released her.

Liz scooped up the blanket and they both got out of the Jeep, walking through the pod chamber into the inner chamber where the granolith was housed. He watched as she spread the blanket out on the floor, a few feet away from the granolith itself. That done, she straightened up and looked at him.

Max moved forward till he was almost touching her. He searched her face. Liz met his gaze, knowing what he was looking for.

“I’m ready, Max. It’s OK,” she said, her voice almost too quiet to hear. Max did hear her, though, and reached out to cup her face, his other hand sliding into her sleek hair. His thumb gently caressed her cheekbone as the light from the granolith brightened. Max ignored it in favour of the light in Liz’s eyes.

“Are you sure?” he asked, stroking her hair. Even that comforting gesture was sending little shivers down her spine, and Liz grinned, touching Max’s cheek with a steady hand.

“I’m sure,” she declared. “As sure as I am that I love you, Max; that I’ll always love you.”

He smiled at her and said, “I love you, Liz. I always have; I always will. I can’t imagine a life without you in it, and I don’t want to.” His gaze intensified and Liz’s stomach began to do flip-flops. She felt herself flush, and her lips parted to accommodate her suddenly rapid breathing.

Max pulled Liz to him, sealing her parted lips with his own. Both of his hands tangled in her hair now, he leisurely explored her lips with his tongue, kissing each corner of her mouth and tracing its outline before plunging between her lips to find her tongue. Liz’s arms went around Max as his kisses continued, sliding her hands under his T-shirt to feel the warm, smooth skin on his back. She traced his musculature with a gentle fingernail and Max groaned. He freed one hand from her hair to grasp Liz’s waist, holding her tightly against him. She felt his hard warmth pressing against her and her knees began to buckle. Max sensed her unsteadiness and eased her down onto the blanket. The chamber was filled with brilliant pulsing light from the granolith. It seemed to pulse in time to their heartbeats.

Liz smiled tremulously. “I guess it’s working,” she said softly, her tone unreadable. “It’s never done that before.” She watched the pulsing light while Max knelt beside her, watching her face. He thought of what Isabel had said and made a snap decision. He stood up, pulling Liz back onto her feet alongside him. He picked up the blanket as Liz stared at him, baffled.

“Max, what are you doing?” she asked, wondering if he had lost his mind. Max caught her against him for a quick, hard kiss that left her speechless.

“Just trust me, please. Come with me,” he pleaded, gazing at her. Liz didn’t know what was going on, but she did trust him so she just nodded and allowed him to lead her out of the pod chamber into the balmy New Mexico night.

Max kept walking, heading around to the other side of the mountain. Liz walked beside him, her hand in his, completely bewildered but knowing that he would explain soon enough. They reached a sheltered place, where the wind’s vigor was tamed a little, and Max finally stopped. He dropped the blanket on the ground and turned to Liz. His face was outlined by the starlight from the sky above, and Liz thought privately that he had never looked so beautiful.

“I love you, Liz. More than anything; more than life itself,” Max said earnestly, looking into her eyes. Liz was held spellbound by his next words.

“I want—no, I NEED this to be special for you. To be perfect. In the granolith chamber, it wouldn’t be. It would be too scientific; you would be thinking too much,” he said, one corner of his mouth lifting in a wry smile. Liz’s cheeks grew warm. He wasn’t wrong. She would have been analyzing the granolith’s reactions.

“You deserve more than that, Liz,” Max continued. “You deserve to have your first time be perfect. And I just—I don’t know if I can give that to you.” His eyes glittered with tears that he was trying desperately not to shed.

Liz was in tears too, but with joy. She let out the breath she’d been holding and kissed Max’s eyes, then his forehead, pulling his head down so she could reach. He smiled a little at the gesture.

“Max, don’t you know that it’ll be perfect because it’s you? Nothing else matters than the way we feel about each other. You are the one I want, the only one I’ll ever want,” she said, trying to project to him that she really did feel that way.

Max not only heard the words but felt the emotions Liz was sending to him, and he broke into a wide smile. Liz giggled at the relief on his face.

“So do you believe me now?” she asked playfully, grinning along with him. Max laughed.

“Yes, Liz, I do,” he admitted as he sat down on the blanket and smoothed it out. “Come sit with me,” he invited, patting the ground beside him. Liz sat, leaning against Max, her head on his shoulder. His hand stroked her hair, then cradled her against him as they lay back, staring at the starry sky.

They lay there quietly for some time, comfortable with the silence. At last Liz spoke.

“It’s such a beautiful night, Max. It’s so perfect,” she said, nearly whispering for fear of breaking the spell. Max heard what she said and what she didn’t have to say, and turned on his side to look at her.

“You’re sure,” he stated softly, wonder in his voice. “Here, now, tonight, even after what I said, you’re sure.”

“It’s partly because of what you said, Max. I love you and I trust you with my life and my soul. I am sure, and I’m ready. Are you?” she asked, searching his face. She had her answer even before he spoke.

“I’m as ready as I’ll ever be,” he smiled, his voice cracking a little. Liz hid a smile; he was nervous, but he was telling the truth. This night belonged to the two of them, and it was sheer magic.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.