FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Unknown"
Part 4
by Anne B.
Disclaimer: Sadly none of this belongs to me…Roswell belongs to the WB, Jason Katims, and all of those producer people, and Melinda Metz…please don’t sue me…The song Unknown is by Lifehouse. I don’t own that either, surprise, surprise!
Summary: Post-Viva Las Vegas…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Slowly Max stood, turning to Liz and offering her a hand to help her up. Together they made their way through the corny, heart-shaped double doors into the chapel, where a strange looking Elvis impersonator stood at the altar, with a priest's collar sticking out under his sequined jacket.

Liz's heart pounded, and butterflies fluttered nervously around in her stomach as she slowly walked down the aisle with Max at her side, clutching his hand tightly. As she stared at the strange minister standing before them, Liz almost turned and ran out of the chapel.

All of Liz's fears and reality checks came flooding out. She shouldn't be doing this! She was a seventeen year old girl, a high school junior, a waitress…no one that young should be making the commitment that she was about to be making. If her parents ever found out about this, they would kill her!

But then she turned to face Max, meeting his eyes that shined down at her with love, and all of her doubts melted away. Max was the love of her life…her heart had been married to his since the first time he reached down and touched her, not only saving her life, but changing her forever. Saying the words in front of the priest wouldn't be making a new commitment to him, rather reaffirming something that she had known for a long time…she and Max belonged together: heart, mind, body, and soul.

Max on the other hand had only one simple thought running through his mind as he stood beside the love of his life in front of the alter.

"Screw destiny…this is love."

The minister began to speak in a loud bored voice.

"All right…we're here to join Robert Maxwell Roy and Shirley Elizabeth Temple in the sacrament of holy matrimony, here in the eyes of God and the King. Now, Robert, repeat after me: I, Robert Maxwell Roy, take Shirley Elizabeth Temple to be my lawfully wedded wife for as long as we both shall live."

"I, Robert Maxwell Roy, take Shirley Elizabeth Temple to be my lawfully wedded wife for as long as we both shall live."

As he said the words, Max knew it was true...the names were wrong, and there was absolutely nothing lawful about what they were doing...but in his heart Max knew that by saying the words he was binding himself to Liz forever. How was he supposed to go back to Roswell, go back to life, pretending that he never said these words?

"Okay, Shirley, your turn. You know the drill." The minister droned on.

Liz looked at the minister in surprise at the informality of it all...but then again, this was Vegas! Slowly she began to repeat the words that she knew so well...looking into Max's eyes, and pledging herself to him for real.

"I Shirley Elizabeth Temple, take Robert Maxwell Roy to be my husband for as long as we both shall live."

A few months earlier she had said similar words to herself in the mirror, right before all of her dreams for their future had been shattered. Never since had she even dreamed that she and Max could stand here, together, the way they were at this exact moment.

But they were doing it...defying destiny...defying everything that they had suffered through, to give it all up and be together for one night...only it wasn't just one night, was it? Liz didn't know how she would be able to go back to avoiding Max at home, after being with him so completely tonight.

"Okay...I now pronounce you husband and wife. Congratulations Robert and Shirley Roy. You may now kiss the bride."

Smiling softly at his bride, Max cupped her face in his hands and leaned in close to her face. Liz closed her eyes and sighed as she felt the gentle puffs of his breath caress her face.

"I love you." He whispered, so softly that it was for her ears alone, as he closed the final distance between their lips, kissing her gently, but with all the passion that he had stored up inside of him over the duration of their long separation.

Liz sighed happily into his mouth, as she wrapped her arms around his neck, tilting her head back to deepen the kiss. Max smiled into Liz's mouth as flashes swept quickly over both their minds, swamping them with the intensity of their love for each other.

**FLASH**

Laughing in the eraser room as they spied on Topolsky.

**FLASH**

Hundreds of almost kisses, that built up to the first one, that night on Liz's balcony.

**FLASH**

Max taking a step back two days later.

**FLASH**

Their hot reunion in the Crashdown's kitchen, complete with the strawberries.

**FLASH**

Waking up together after their night in the desert.

**FLASH**

The first time they said "I love you".

**FLASH**

Liz dancing with an older Max on her balcony as he faded away.

**FLASH**

Their kiss a few hours earlier in the back alley of the club where they had danced.

**FLASH**

Max pulled away from Liz and stared down into her eyes as he caressed her cheek lightly, taking long deep breaths to calm himself down...he had seen something strange in one of the flashes...something unfamiliar to him...but he couldn't quite place his finger on exactly what it was. He sighed softly...it didn't matter. What mattered was Liz, and their one night of a happy marriage.

"Mr. Roy?" The minister interrupted. "You can head back out into the lobby now and pick up your marriage license."

Max looked at him in surprise...he forgot about that part. The whole legal aspect...the part that they were going out of their way to avoid. Nodding to the priest, he led Liz back out the door. They picked up their certificate, posed for a Polaroid picture, which was immediately handed to them, and then Max led Liz out the chapel back to the street.

"Well..." Liz stated, staring at Max, amusement clear in her eyes. "That was fast."

"I guess we just learned the reality behind a Vegas wedding...there's nothing very romantic about it."

"Wrong." Liz corrected him. "There's nothing romantic about the ceremony itself...but stop and think about this for a second Max. We just got married. You're my husband and I'm your wife. We just dedicated out love to each other forever...there's definitely something romantic about that. We just did something completely crazy in the name of love...that's pretty romantic, if you ask me."

Max grinned. "You're right. So now on to the next step."

"The next step? And what would that be Mr. Roy?" Liz laughed.

"Well, the honeymoon of course."

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.