FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Way You Love Me"
Part 3
by LivE
Disclaimer: I own nothing Roswell...
Summary: This is the third story in a trilogy that I didn’t intend to write! It started with The Experiment and Finding Our Normal. For the most part, this story is about Max and Liz and how wonderful their relationship is!
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: It is advisable to read The Experiment and FON first, otherwise you're going to be a little lost. Also, if you like Tess, don't read this fic!
With her words ringing in his ears, Max had the uncontrollable urge to laugh. Long and hard. Not allow me? That was rich coming from someone that was supposed to be a servant! "So how exactly is he going to stop me?" Max asked with a half-grin.

"Uhm… he didn’t really say exactly. Just that we needed a pure alien heir to the throne, not some half-breed--."

Max was on his feet, towering over her. "I don’t care what he thinks is best. I’m doing what I KNOW is best. Liz and I are bonded now, and there’s nothing anybody," he looked at her meaningfully, "and I mean, ANYBODY, can do to change that."

Tess cowered away from him for a moment before he felt the tug at his mind again. Looking at her steadily, he purposely remembered him and Liz opening the wooden box with the family tree inside. The one that listed the current King as Max Evans, his mate as Liz Parker and had the space below their names for the future King. The one that would be born to him and Liz. He saw her eyes widen in shock and knew he was right, she had been trying to play mind games with him again. "As I said, nothing will get between me and Liz again. Remember that."

"I just wanted to warn you. I’m not trying to stir up trouble." Her voice sounded high and fearful.

"Well, as you can see. Everything is fine here. Was there anything else? I really need to go." Max had decided to go talk to Nick about this thing with Nacedo. Even though he didn’t believe for an instant that Nacedo based his threats on something real, he didn’t like the fact that Nacedo had such a disregard for humans. It might make him do something stupid to Liz.

Diane was just coming down the hallway with two sodas when Tess brushed past her in a sulk, mumbling: "Goodbye, Mrs Evans."

She watched the girl disappear out the front door and turned to her son. "Well, want to have a drink with your old mother?"

Smiling at her, Max took the soda with one hand and hugged her with his other arm. "Thanks for helping, Mom."

"Is everything okay? She isn’t… she’s not going to harm Liz again, is she?" Diane looked up at her tall son worriedly.

"I don’t think so. I think she was trying her luck to see if maybe she could cause some trouble again." At least I hope so! Max thought.

He sat down with his mom at the kitchen table and told her about the course Liz was going on at the end of the week. Trying to sound as cheerful about it as he could.

Not fooled, Diane said: "You’re going to miss her, aren’t you?"

Max looked at the table, a feeling of loss already settling over him. "Yeah." The word carried a lot more emotion that its single syllable warranted. He jumped up suddenly. "I need to go home."

Diane just smiled as he kissed her cheek and took off. She understood what he was actually saying: I need to go to Liz.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Maria had driven Liz and Michael over to the Crashdown after school and Liz shared her news with her two friends. "Boston! Lizzie! That’s so cool!"

"Hey! Watch where you’re driving, cheesehead!" Michael yelled from the back, but he gave Liz a little smile to show his happiness about her achievement.

After all the details had been spilled, there was silence in the car for a few minutes. "How are you going to cope? Without Max I mean?" Maria’s voice was soft.

Liz felt her heart lurch again. "I’m sure I will, Maria. It’s just two weeks…" She was trying to convince herself too.

"He’s gonna miss you a lot." Maria covered Liz’s hands in her lap with one of hers. "Don’t worry, we’ll make sure he’s okay."

The two friends smiled at each other with years of understanding and loyalty.

When they reached the café, Michael went to the kitchen to start his shift and the two girls went to the apartment to talk. Both their shifts only started later.

"So chica, are you okay with leaving Max here alone while you-know-who is back?"

Liz shrugged. "She doesn’t bother me, Maria. I mean, I would KNOW as soon as something strange is happening to him."

Maria looked unconvinced. "It’s just… I saw the way she was looking at you two and… something’s up. Something weird. And now she wants to see him after school? Alone? What’s up with that?"

This reminded Liz of her and Max’s decision. "Oh Maria! Please don’t let her know that Max and I are, you know--."

"Doing the nasty every chance you get?" Maria was grinning evilly.

"No! Maria! I mean living together… What do you mean ‘every chance we get’?" Liz planted her hands on her hips indignantly.

Maria was laughing openly by now. "Just what I said! You two are insatiable! We can’t leave you alone for a few minutes and you two are at it!" Hearing Liz’s shocked gasp, Maria continued teasing her control-freak friend. "Admit it! You can’t keep your hands of his--."

"Maria!" Liz was blushing furiously. Mostly their friends discretely avoided the topic of her and Max’s sex life and even Maria has made a point of not saying too much about it. This was new to Liz, realizing their friends did indeed know and speculate about all her and Max’s disappearances.

"Okay, okay, I’ll stop if you tell me details!" She flopped on Liz and Max’s bed with a flourish.

"No way!" Liz was outraged.

Maria rolled onto her stomach and propped her head in her hands. "Please, Lizzie. Michael and I are gonna… we decided to… you know."

Liz was stunned. "You mean you two actually talked about it before doing it!"

"Haha, you crack me up!" Maria pulled a face. "I’m serious, Liz! I’m… I’m kinda nervous about the whole thing."

Liz’s face softened. "Maria, Michael is a normal guy. Nothing weird will happen."

"It’s not just that. I’m not good with pain…"

Hugging her friend, Liz didn’t really know what to say. "Just… tell him to be careful and to take it slow. You’ll be alright." She smiled at Maria. "And it gets better really fast, I promise."

Maria hugged her back. "Ugh, what’s becoming of this world when I get sex advice from the most prim and proper girl in school!" She giggled. "Ever since you got involved with a certain alien, you have become impulsive. Oh the horror!"

They were still laughing when Max arrived in a rush, faltering when he saw Maria was there. "Uhm, hey Maria."

"Hey Max. We’re glad to see you lived through your session with Cruella DeVille!"

Max just mumbled: "Thanks," before leaning down to kiss Liz. His mouth lingered on hers.

Maria cleared her throat to get their attention back. "So what did she want?" She watched as Max straightened and started caressing Liz’s hair.

He shrugged. "She was going on about Nacedo. Nothing we have to worry about right now." But Liz could feel the tension in his body, both physically and mentally. As well as his need to be with her right now.

Folding her arms, Maria huffed: "So basically she just wanted to get you alone. Max, you have to--."

"Maria, could you maybe let me talk to Max alone?" Liz interrupted her friend.

Maria looked from Liz’s imploring face to Max’s unreadable one. "Oookay."

Liz followed her out the door. "I’m sorry. He… We need to talk right now."

"Are you sure your connection with him isn’t misinterpreting ‘talking’ with something, ah… else?"

Liz laughed. Maria could be really mischievous sometimes. "Just go… make sure Michael doesn’t kill Jose and burn the burgers or something!"

Max was still standing in the same position in their room when she got back. "Honey, what’s wrong?" She put her arms around him.

He pulled her into a crushing embrace, burying his face in her neck. "I love you."

"I know." She ran her hand through his hair, rubbing his back with her other one. Concentrating on their connection, she made sure that he felt her love and support.

Finally, Max lifted her up and sat down on the bed with her in his lap. "Sorry, I just freaked out because you’re going to be away for two weeks." He traced her features with his fingers as if trying to memorize every inch.

"Are you sure everything is okay with Tess?"

"Yeah," he looked into her eyes, "she spouted some nonsense about Nacedo being against our bonding. Nothing that I was too concerned about." He kissed her softly. "Don’t worry about her, Liz. She’s nothing to me."

Leaning her forehead against his, Liz gloried in being in his arms. "I know that. I’m not worried about you. I’m worried she would try something desperate."

Pulling away, he slid his hand under her skirt: "Well, I’ll talk to Nick later tonight. When you’re at work." Liz’s head fell back as his hand moved higher. "But for now I think I need to start making up for when you’re away…" He flipped her on her back and proceeded to kiss her everywhere… as well as all the important places in between.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Maria slammed a plate down in the kitchen. "I hate some of these customers! Nothing is ever good enough for them!" She glared at Liz who was smiling. "And if you don’t stop looking like the cat that got the cream, I’m going to kick your butt!"

"Sorry, Maria! I’m just happy." Liz danced out of the back room with a grumbling Maria behind her. They both stopped in their tracks when they saw Tess coming in, with a handsome guy hanging onto her arm.

"What the--?" Maria muttered under her breath.

Tess saw Liz immediately and came over. "Hey Liz. Maria." She motioned at the guy next to her. "This is my boyfriend, Neil."

Maria was speechless, so Liz had to stammer: "Nice to meet you, Neil." The guy was looking at her strangely. "Uhm… Are you staying? Can I get you guys something?"

"Oh yeah, we’ll go get a booth and look at the menu." Tess dragged Neil off.

Maria turned back to Liz. "Okay, what the hell was that? She suddenly has a boyfriend? Out of thin air? And one that looks like THAT!" They glanced over at Neil. He was tall, blonde, blue-eyed and well built. Your average All-American guy. Who was still looking at Liz…

Liz started towards the booth, but halted when Maria grabbed her arm. "I think I’ll go. That guy seems weird and I don’t like the way he’s staring at you!"

"Maria! You’re always such a drama queen. He’s not interested in me."

"Who said he was interested? He looks at you like you are some… I don’t know, experiment or something." Maria was still watching Neil. His gaze hasn’t wavered from Liz and Tess didn’t seem to mind. "Where’s Max?"

"He went to see Nick. I’m sure its nothing." But Liz sounded uncertain. She had to admit the guy was creeping her out. "Okay, you go help them. But I’m telling Michael he needs to keep an eye on what’s going on out here."

She went to the kitchen as Maria walked up to Tess and Neil. "So, what will it be?" She watched Neil watch Liz walk away. "No, she’s not on the menu. And as Tess can tell you, you don’t want to upset her boyfriend." She smiled sweetly at Neil.

He just grinned back, unmoved by her threats. "Well, we’ll see won’t we?"

Maria glared at him before turning to Tess. "Great taste you have, Tess! Now what do you want?"

"There’s no need to be so rude, Maria. We just want some cherry cokes. With lime." Tess sounded hurt.

"Oh, and I’ll take your friend too." Neil yelled after her as Maria left for the back. "To go. She looks like she would be great company," he said smugly when Maria whirled around.

"Is there a problem here?" Max’s quiet voice stopped any angry retort from Maria.

Everyone turned to him, but his eyes were on Tess and Neil. Max had heard the guy’s last remarks and had understood it was aimed at Liz. Looking into the guy’s eyes, he realized that this wasn’t just some ordinary obnoxious client. Something else was going on here…

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.