FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Way You Love Me"
Part 50
by LivE
Disclaimer: I own nothing Roswell...
Summary: This is the third story in a trilogy that I didn’t intend to write! It started with The Experiment and Finding Our Normal. For the most part, this story is about Max and Liz and how wonderful their relationship is!
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: It is advisable to read The Experiment and FON first, otherwise you're going to be a little lost. Also, if you like Tess, don't read this fic!
Butterflies were fluttering wildly in Liz’s stomach, and for once, it had nothing to do with the half-alien baby she was carrying. They were outside the hall where the ball in their honor is being held and from the din coming through the doors, there were LOTS of people there. She was practically clinging to Max’s hand and arm while she concentrated on taking deep breaths to calm herself. She needed to be poised and graceful, not hysterical and embarrassing tonight. This was for Max.

She looked completely gorgeous. Max had stared at her in awe when she finally emerged wearing a snow-white dress that reminded him slightly of her wedding dress. The bodice hugged her curves while the skirt was wide and full. His Royal seal was put around the seam of the skirt as a dark green border. She looked like she was floating when she walked. He needed to thank Izzy for this later.

Now they were waiting to be officially introduced and Liz was trying very hard not to let her panic show. He pulled her in front of him, smiling down into her anxious eyes. "Don’t worry, sweet, everything will be fine."

"How do you know? I could trip over my dress! I could spill stuff. I could—"

Max stopped her babbling by kissing her soundly. The sensations of their love-making in the shower not too long ago were still with them and the kiss quickly turned steamy. He curved his arm around her waist, bringing her as close to him as her wide skirt would allow and urged her mouth to open wider for him.

Isabel’s scandalized exclamation went unheard.

Lifting herself onto the tips of her toes, Liz kissed Max back with ardor. She gloried in him licking her lips and sucking on them. In his possessive embrace. In the way his mind whispered ‘My Shani’ to her.

A sudden silence brought Max back to his senses. The doors to the hall had opened and everyone was staring at them in complete amazement.

"Errr, the King and Queen of Antar and their families," the announcement eventually rang out.

Max felt awful when he saw the shock on Liz’s face. Coming to a sudden decision, he stepped forward with Liz and said: "Ladies and Gentlemen, meet my Shani and my wife, Liz." Everyone was bowing low before them when Max dipped Liz over his arm and kissed her again. This was met with a huge roar of applause and some relieved sighs from behind Max and Liz.

"I love you, you romantic idiot!" Liz said to him when she was finally on her feet again.

"And I’m going to kick your ass," Isabel hissed at him when she swept past.

"Glowing and grinning again, Lizzie," Maria was laughing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The two men guarding Tess’ door had stopped her from leaving earlier when she wanted to go to the ball. Their ears were still ringing from her furious shrieking, but now everything seems quiet in her rooms. They kept watch anxiously, knowing how important this was to their King.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

James was standing to the side of the crowds milling about in the big hall, his eyes never leaving Liz. She was surrounded by important women from Dendar, as well as various apparently fawning men. Max was on the other side of the hall, talking to the King of Dendar and some of his closest aides, but James noticed that Max also kept an eye on Liz. Which is why it was so amazing that none of them saw anything coming.

One moment all was well, the following Tess was next to an oblivious Liz with a furious expression on her face. Max was halfway across the hall before anyone else had even moved. A terrible fear had taken hold of him and caused adrenaline to pump through his veins like crazy. James was shoving people out of the way ruthlessly as he also bore down on his Queen.

"So you think you’re the Queen now?" Tess suddenly said in Liz’s ear, grabbing her arm and holding her immobile. "I don’t think so."

"Tess!" Max cried, but he was still too far away to really do anything.

"Oh, look! He sure is predictable. Right on cue, my darling husband." Tess was grinning at Max’s stricken expression.

"Liz, love…" Max felt tears come to his eyes as he saw the trust in Liz’s gaze.

Everybody around them was frozen in shock as Tess held a glowing hand to Liz’s head. "Tell them she is not really your wife, and I’ll let her live."

"Tess…" Max felt dizzy with all the emotions crashing over him. He needed to keep Liz safe and he had never hated Tess as much as he did that minute. "I’ll do anything, please… Just let her go."

"That’s clever of you," she smirked at him as Max watched the tears run down Liz’s cheeks helplessly. A little circle had formed around them by now, Michael, James, Isabel, Alex, Nick, Maria and some more of the guards were standing tensely on the periphery of what now seemed to be a final showdown.

"So tell these people, Zan. Tell them you really were married to me and this is just your little mistress. And while you’re at it, tell dear Lizzie how hot we were together."

Max swallowed. "I-I love you, Liz." He stared at her, willing her to see what a lie his next words were going to be. "I—"

"This is an outrage!" The voice of the elderly King of Dendar boomed across the strange gathering. "What is the meaning of this?" He had walked over with difficulty and was looking between Max and Tess.

"I apologize, Your Highness," Max said quietly, his eyes never leaving Liz.

"I wish merely for the King of Antar to announce me as his true Queen and admit that this is his royal concubine," Tess announced. "It is my rightful position and I want it officially declared." She cast a sweet glance at the elderly King. "I’m sorry I had to resort to this, but my husband seems intent on ignoring my existence."

"I remember you two being bonded here in this palace at a big function many rotations ago." The King’s announcement made Tess grin as Max cringed and Liz bit her lip. "But I also remember that it was a political liaison that Zan was not too happy about." Everyone stared at him in shock. "Also, that was previously. As to what is true during this life, that we can easily determine."

"How?" Tess’ voice had gotten an edge. "This is a HUMAN girl, she is not Antarian—"

"That doesn’t matter. If they are bonded, there is a way." The King turned to Max. "Do you agree to this test?"

"Yes!" Max was overjoyed. Only the glowing hand against Liz’s head kept him from any rash actions.

Liz felt a piercing heat invade her brain. "Max…" she whispered before blackness enveloped her.

A roar of pure rage erupted from Max as he jumped forward to catch Liz in his arms. He jerked her away from Tess, just as James yanked Tess away from Liz. The force broke the hold she had on Liz.

An all-consuming fear took hold of Max as he knelt on the floor, cradling Liz. She was completely still in his arms.

"Oh my God, Max!" Maria was at his side immediately. She gave his dazed face one look and shook his arm. "Snap out of it, you have to see what’s wrong! Max! Liz and the baby need you!"

He felt like everyone was talking to him down a long, dark tunnel. Liz needs you. It echoed in his mind and he took a shuddering breath before moving his hands over her head gently. "Liz, baby, you have to let me in…"

He got no response.

Your baby needs you. Maybe he could try… He put a shaking hand on Liz’s stomach, nearly sobbing in relief when the glow appeared immediately. He concentrated on the presence of his baby, finding it and using it to find Liz. "I love you. Come back to me. Please. Come back." Even the carefully emotionally controlled Dendarians could not fail to be moved by what was happening. Maria and Isabel were in tears with Max, while Michael and Alex tried very hard not to lose it themselves.

Please help me help Mommy. We can’t be without her. Max was talking to his baby in desperation by now. While his mind knew that his baby was barely three weeks old and not much bigger than a few cells, his heart refuse to go on facts right now.

The heat under his hand became more intense and suddenly he was in! He desperately healed blood vessels and cells in Liz’s brain, as he begged her to fight. He was nearly finished when he had a flash of himself holding the hand of a little boy as they watched the most important woman in their lives smile at them.

Both Max and Liz opened their eyes at the same time, grabbing each other in a fierce grip as they trembled in relief. No words were spoken, they knew exactly how the other one felt.

Very soon, a towering rage started replacing Max’s relief and he finally looked up at Tess. She quaked when she saw his death glare. "Tess—"

The King of Dendar stepped into the fray again. "We will give you a few minutes to recuperate from this, but then I will have to make a ruling." He looked at Tess. "You have made a serious accusation against the King of Antar and I have to warn you, if this proves false and you have threatened the life of the true Queen of Antar, there will be serious consequences."

Max could barely control himself. "No, I want to finish this now." He got to his feet and held Liz against his side. She was leaning against him for support.

The King nodded. "Give me your hand." He held out his hand to Tess.

Still in the firm and hurtful grip of James, Tess held out her hand reluctantly. After motioning Max to do the same, the elderly King moved their hands until their palms faced each other, a few inches of space between them. He closed his eyes, apparently concentrating on something. The hush in the crowd became even more quiet as a faint glow appeared between Max and Tess’ hands, depicting a swirling blue mist with no real shape or form.

The Dendar King’s face gave nothing away as he dropped Tess’ hand and lifted Liz’s. Her eyes clung to Max’s, she had no idea what the glow meant, but surely it must mean something.

As soon as their palms faced each other, a bright light appeared between them, one that slowly condensed into the form of the Antarian Royal seal. Max gripped Liz to him tighter as they saw the proof.

"Just as I suspected," the King announced. He pointed to Max and Liz. "Bonded and consummated in this lifetime." He waved at Tess. "Bonded but not consummated in a previous life-time." He motioned his own guards over. "Take her away and incarcerate her." He looked at Tess again. "Be glad we don’t punish people with death anymore, for what you did was surely enough to warrant such a sentence. As it is, you will not be seen on this planet or any other, ever again."

Max hardly heard the other King as he apologized for what happened and told Max to take Liz for some rest and see if they can join the party again later. He lifted Liz up against his chest and left the ballroom with long strides, his little band of friends hurrying behind him.

"Max, I’m okay," Liz tried.

"I’m not," was all he said in reply.

Back in their suite, the others watched him take the stairs at a near run and disappear into their rooms.

"Oh my God," was all Maria could get out.

"Ditto," Michael said.

"So… he DIDN’T sleep with Tess in his previous life? Way to go, Max!" Alex didn’t mean it to sound flippant, just amazed. How the hell were the rest of them supposed to live up to Max?

~*~*~*~*~*~

In the room, Max put Liz carefully on the bed before kneeling next to it, taking her hand and dropping his head to the mattress. Then he did something he hadn’t done in a long time.

He cried.

Liz slid to the floor and wrapped herself around him, crying with him for so many reasons. For the fear and terror they had both felt. With relief that they were safe now. For knowing that they truly were linked in the eyes of the universe. For finally having Tess out of their lives for good. And for finding the most precious love the universe could produce.

And for now knowing they were going to have a son…

Part 49 | Index | Part 51
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.