FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Whiter Shade of Pale"
Part 14
by Anne M. /Thing2
Disclaimer: : I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have noaffiliation with the WB television network or the author, Melinda Metz.
Summary: Immediately follows Blind Date ep, exploring Liz's reaction toMax's inability to remember the evening's events. Reconciliation isfollowed quickly by a rapid progression in physical intimacy, as a nightin the desert leaves them both sleepless and hurting in a new way. Liz'sbehind the scenes attempt to persuade Max that they should continue inmore intimacy leads to an alliance with Michael that goes completelyawry. Max and Liz make love for the first time and find that theexperience has far reaching ramifications as changes in Liz becomeobvious. Some simple tests of skin cells and blood reveal what theyboth already suspected to be true. Liz's physiology has changedcompletely to match Max's. These changes become more pronounced as theyexperience the drive to procreate that is much stronger for them now thatLiz has basically become an alien in her own right. As school draws to aclose for the summer, the six set off an a trip to spend some timetogether that begins in near disaster as the girls are caught in aterrible storm. Michael and Maria discover that changes are occurringfor them now, too, as Max and Liz discover new levels of their evolvingrelationship.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Lyrics are from "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum

She said there is no reason, and the truth is plain to see.
But, I wander through my playing cards,
and would not let her be.

One of 16 vessel virgins,
who were leaving for the coast,
and although my eyes were open,
they might just as well been closed . . .

And, so it was, later,
as the mirror told it's tale,
that her face at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale . . .

With dinner finished and the dishes all cleaned up and put away, the small group sat around the living room in front of a fire that threw shadows all over the darkened walls. The atmosphere was quiet and peaceful. The storm from that morning was no more than a fading memory at this point. In it's wake, a stillness settled around the house.

The guys had taken up a round of Poker, shortly after getting comfortable on the floor. Max and Liz sat side-by-side, unable to bear not touching in some small way. Liz wasn't worried about the increased need to be near Max. Instinctively, she knew that it would fade soon. It was just the result of all that had passed between them that afternoon. She smiled to herself as Max's thoughts on the issue floated across her awareness.

Looking at him, then, she saw that he was smiling, too, but trying to give the impression he was concentrating on the cards in his hand. Liz thought briefly about how much fun it would be to *really* distract him from the game, when he looked at her with a knowing expression. Somewhat irritated that she couldn't sneak anything past him, she sat back in reluctant acceptance. Max played the cards in his hand, keeping one eye on the game, as he leaned in close and whispered to her.

Max: "Don't worry. We have four nights before we have to go back. Not to mention days."

Liz turned to look at him then and caught her breath at the expression in his eyes. Shivering slightly, she felt the anticipation build in her body just from those few words and the intent plainly visible in his countenance. Closing her eyes, Liz willed her heart to stop racing and her breathing to settle back down to normal. She wasn't entirely successful . . .

The game finished with quite a few barbed comments from Alex and Michael about Max's uncanny winning streak. Especially since he only seemed to give about half of his attention to the game, no matter how hard he tried to make it appear otherwise. After the teasing subsided, and a few minutes of silence had passed, Michael brought up the accident and what had happened afterward. Clutching Maria's hand and searching her face to be sure she was ready, he revealed to the group their concerns.

Everyone listened intently but with varied reactions to the idea that Maria was changing. After the way Michael summed up the events from that morning, it was pretty difficult to say that he had no grounds for his suspicions. The evidence was incriminating to say the least and every last detail had a basis in fact that couldn't be denied.

Michael (finishing up): "We just want to do some tests, you know? Like you and Liz did.

Liz sat back in stunned silence. After all, Maria and Michael had made it clear that they were in no hurry to go down the same road that she had taken with Max. How had this happened? *Had* it happened? Pulled from her thoughts by the look on Maria's face, Liz got up quickly, and went to kneel in front of Maria, hugging her best friend and communicating silently all that words couldn't say.

Isabel was torn between the desire to leap for joy and the plummeting of her heart with one more added complication to her already overly complex life. The positive and negative force just about equaled out, leaving her motionless, staring with a blank expression on her face. Alex sat back and wondered how in the world they could possibly withstand anymore "situations" in their lives . . . .

Pulling away from Maria and pausing a moment to make sure her friend was o.k., Liz went back to her position beside Max. He watched her walking towards him and looked up into her face, holding out his hand to help her down. She sank slowly, holding his hand and mightily resisted the urge to melt into a mind searing kiss. With one last look into Max's eyes, Liz forced herself to focus on Michael and Maria and their newfound dilemma.

Liz: (quietly) "All we really need are some slides and a microscope." Alex: (extremely sarcastic) "Right. We'll just pop over to the 7-11 and grab a couple."

Michael looked at the floor not really trying to hide his irritation as Maria put her arm around his shoulders, knowing how important this was to him. Isabel met Alex with a speaking glance that promised severe retribution if he didn't behave. Properly chastised, Alex reached for Isabel's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, willing his emotions under control for her sake. His eyes sought out hers in a sincere apology, letting her know that he would never hurt her on purpose. Isabel smiled, knowing the truth and loving him for being so sensitive to her.

Liz turned to Max then, wondering if he had any suggestions. He thought for a moment before answering.

Max: "It's only about an hour's drive into the nearest town. We can pick up a microscope and some slides as long as it doesn't have to be too fancy. (looking at Liz in question) Liz: (smiling) "No. It doesn't have to be fancy. Thank you."

Maria suddenly had a disturbing insight into just exactly what those slides were for.

Maria: "Um, . . . Liz? . . . What exactly are you planning on doing with those slides?" Liz: (matter of fact) "Looking at your skin and blood cells." Maria: (really struggling now) "But, . . . that would require skin, and . . . b-blood." (her eyes sought our first Michael's and then Liz's) Liz: "It's o.k. Maria. It won't hurt a bit. I promise. Thanks to Max, that is. (remembering how he had painlessly extracted her blood that day in the lab)

An inconsolate Maria visibly paled and Michael pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her in reassurance that he would be beside her every step of the way.

Maria knew it was a little thing, but spilling blood was never a pleasant thought. No matter how small an amount or how much people told you it wasn't going to hurt. It had never *not* hurt. As she focused on these small details, she kept her mind off of what was really bothering her.

------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, Michael held Maria as she tried to go to sleep, 'try' being the operative word. He felt so sorry for her. He suspected that the results were far more critical to her sleeplessness than the actual tests to be performed. Finally, he couldn't stand it anymore . . .

Michael: "Do you want to talk about it?" Maria: (choosing bravado over breaking down completely) "Talk about what?" Michael: (exasperation with a tinge of disgust) "O c'mon, Maria. You're scared to death." Maria: (bordering on incensed) "I AM NOT." Michael: (patiently) "You are."

A few moments of a very thick silence passed uncomfortably before Maria finally surrendered.

Maria: (quietly) "Just hold me, o.k.? No questions.

Michael held her close and felt his heart breaking for her. Now, he was certain that she was far more concerned with the results than the process. Would she ever be able to accept it if her body had begun to change like Liz's had? Would she blame him?

Much later, Michael looked on as Maria finally slept. He was so grateful for her peacefulness that he didn't even mind the fact that he was still awake. He let his mind wander to tomorrow and all that they'd planned to try in order to discover what was happening. Tomorrow . . . He stood to lose her tomorrow . . .

----------------------------------------

On the way to the nearest small city, Max and Liz, kept stealing glances at one another. Last night had been an extension of the unforgettable afternoon, and they were both feeling the affects of the torrent of passion today. Shortly following a wonderful breakfast, put on by Michael and Maria, who were quickly becoming the resident chefs, they had set off in search of the diagnostic equipment they needed. Maria had been subdued but trying hard not to show her apprehension. Liz could completely sympathize with her friend. Although, acceptance had come quickly and easily to her, she wasn't so sure Maria would respond the same way. Michael and Maria were so at home in the kitchen together that preparing the meal had been a very good distraction for them that morning. Liz hoped they were holding up o.k. now, while they waited.

Max kept his eyes on the road mostly, but every so often he couldn't help but indulge in a sideways glance at Liz. Last night she had surprised him yet again. She'd left the group a little early saying she wanted to rest for a while. When he'd returned to the bedroom, she had been in their bathroom. After quietly opening the door, she had gone to work drying her hair without so much as a "How do you do?". She'd seemed totally preoccupied with whatever she was thinking about . . .

He had slipped into the shower wondering what was going on in her head. He missed knowing all of her thoughts. After Liz had left the room tonight, the connection had faded. Much as it surprised him to admit it, he really enjoyed having her inside his mind and being inside hers.

After quickly taking care of basic hygiene, and unable to stand being away from Liz another moment, he opened the bathroom door.

Max: "Liz, is everything . . . . "

His voice trailed off as his eyes raked over the sight that met them. Liz . . . on her knees . . . in the center of their bed . . . her hair falling down her back . . . and her beautiful face smiling at him over her shoulder . . . her eyes inviting him to join her . . .

Shaving could wait.

Liz watched him walking toward her from across the room and couldn't help appreciating the sight of him in nothing but a towel. He made his way to the bed, and kneeling behind her, his fantasy came to life.

From inside the jeep, Liz stole a glance at Max and knew immediately the direction his thoughts had taken even without the benefit of hearing them in her head. A blush crept steadily over her cheeks. She still couldn't believe the way they were with each other. The way she was. Without conscience when it came to pleasing him.

At the nearest department store, they quickly purchased a microscope complete with slides and all the rest of the paraphernalia they would need. Walking hand in hand back to the jeep, they both knew they were ready for whatever happened next. Michael and Maria would be all right. They would have each other and friends who would stand by them no matter what.

Max helped Liz into the jeep and quickly kissed her before walking around to climb in himself.

Max: "Are you hungry? We can stop somewhere for lunch." Liz: (smiling) "Not really. Breakfast was so good. They should open a restaurant someday." Max: (optimistically) "Maybe they will." Liz: "Besides, I want to get back as soon as possible." Max: (concerned) "Are you that worried about Maria?" Liz: "No. This has nothing to do with Maria."

Max sat in confusion for a moment as her meaning finally made itself clear. Leaning over, Liz slid her hand along his thigh stopping just short of a very long ride home, and kissed him lightly. Max wasn't sure whether to groan in relief or frustration . . .

Pulling out of the parking lot and back out onto the highway, Max thought about the turn his life had taken in such a short time. He was actually happy. Delirious, in fact. He felt . . . almost normal . . .

----------------------------------------------------------

Maria paced the small confines of the living room for the 26th time in the last hour before Michael finally pushed her outside where all that walking wouldn't wear a hole in the floor. Once outside, Maria found that it was easier to handle the waiting. It was truly beautiful here, and without saying a word, she and Michael walked all around the property that surrounded the house. Being here, away from Roswell, made everything seem so much calmer and safer. Like, no matter what, it would all be o.k. After a while, Michael stopped and pulled her close, kissing her forehead. Maria looked up into his eyes and realized for the first time all day how afraid he was.

Maria: "Michael? What's wrong?" Michael: (quickly) "Nothing. Just worried about you." Maria: (frowning) "You look scared, not worried." Michael: (wondering how she could tell the difference) "I'm worried about how you're gonna feel if . . . " Maria: (understanding) "I'm changing like Liz?" Michael: "Yeah." Maria: "O.k. Now what are you afraid of?" Michael: (exasperated) "I'm not afraid."

Maria watched his face intently with an "I don't believe you" look on her face and an "I can wait here all day if I have to" stance.

Michael finally realized the futility of trying to hide his fears from her.

Michael: (quietly) "I'm afraid that you'll blame me."

Maria was so stunned she couldn't even speak at first. The moment was short lived, however, as outrage replaced shock.

Maria: "Blame you?" "That's ridiculous!" Michael: (confused) "No, it isn't." Maria: "I think we already had this conversation." "It was my choice. I knew the risks. What's really bothering you, Michael?" Michael: (cornered and out of ideas, opts for the truth) "I'm afraid you won't want to be with me anymore." Maria (expression softening as his words hit her heart) "I love you, Michael. I'll always want to be with you." Michael: (smiling) "Aren't you going to threaten me with certain torturous death if these tests are positive?" Maria: (wrapping her arms around his neck and moving closer once more) "Nope." Michael: (quirking one eyebrow) "Maybe just torture? After all, death would mean no one to take out your frustrations on anymore." Maria: (seductive) "I don't have any frustrations . . . at least not anymore . . . "

Raising up on tip toe she kissed his open mouth before he could voice his surprise over what she'd said. His face spoke volumes, though, before it drifted out of sight as Maria's eyes slowly closed. She almost laughed out loud, but the desire to kiss him had suddenly become intense and completely distracting. Her mind remained free of visions, but her heart . felt something strange. Something shifting, revealing things that were previously hidden. Something *felt* different. Familiar. A deep sense of recognition and belonging pervaded Maria's soul on the deepest levels. Wondering if Michael was feeling it, too, she pulled away just enough to look into his eyes. He read the question in hers without missing a beat, and nodded to let her know that he felt it, too. Putting his arm around her, they walked back to the house and towards the answers to their questions. Towards their future . . . together.

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.