FanFic - Other
"Sense of Completion"
Part 34
by Linda
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: R
I Knew I Loved You
By Savage Garden

There's just no rhyme or reason
Only this sense of completion
And in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I've found my way home
I know that it might sound more than a little crazy
But I believe
::CHORUS::

************************

Liz tried for over an hour to connect with Michael, Isabel or Cassie, but was unsuccessful. The tears of frustration were running down her cheeks as she tried again.

"Liz...it's okay. Please don't hurt yourself. You need to save your strength for yourself and …the babies." Max pleaded, his own voice hoarse from the emotions he'd had watching Liz trying so hard, and knowing it was draining her and getting her no where.

"I don't understand Max. Why can't I connect with them? Damn! We've been able to connect with each other for months now!" Liz asked in frustration as she closed her eyes, resting herself for a second to ease the headache that was throbbing.

"I don't know. Maybe you are just too far away? Always before, we've connected with you three when we were in the same room. Maybe your connections to us are only for close proximity?" Max frowned in thought.

Liz's mind refused to accept that there was nothing she could do. She would not lie here and watch them slowly torture Max to death, and then take her babies away to experiment on at some later date.

Max too was thinking over their options. No way was he going to watch them torture and kill Liz and their babies. He didn't care about himself, but he had to try to get Liz out of there. Jordan! Suddenly the image of Jordan came to Max and he swore for not thinking of it sooner. "Liz! Jordan. Try to contact Jordan!" Max whispered excitedly. This had to work!

"Yes! Of course. His powers are stronger. Maybe he can feel my trying to connect with him even if my signal is weak or something."

*******************

"Liz told me in the hall that she didn't think Max was Max. I just didn't listen." Michael said beating himself up about it as the group sat around the Crashdown after hours trying to sort out what they knew and what they could do.

"Michael. How could you possibly know what Liz meant? She's been very emotional and not very logical or rational lately to say the least." Maria smiled at him and put a hand over his clenched fist that sat on the table. "Still..."

"Still nothing! The thing is what do we do now? If that really wasn't Max, then whoever it was has Liz and probably our Max too." Isabel bit her lip.

Alex put a comforting arm around her and sighed. "Well, we all pretty much agree that if that wasn't Max, only Nasedo could have shapeshifted into him. So now we have to think where Nasedo would take them and why."

"What about Jordan?" Cassie asked looking around at them.

"We sort of promised ourselves we wouldn't run to Uncle Jordan for everything. Besides, the less we are seen with Jordan, the safer he and the rest of our people will be. So far, it doesn't look like the government is even aware of them, and we'd like to keep it that way." Isabel explained.

Cassie nodded and sighed, feeling helpless. She wanted to help her new friends.

"And you're sure it's Nasedo?" Kyle asked taking Cassie's hand as he sensed her frustration.

"What do you mean?" Michael asked looking at Kyle now.

Kyle shrugged. "I mean, it's probably Nasedo since he's the only one we know who can make himself look like Max, but what if it's Max, only a brainwashed Max or something?"

"Okay, say we go with that for a minute, and it isn't Nasedo. Who do you think is brainwashing Max?" Michael asked with narrowed eyes. At this point, they would try every scenario.

"The government, FBI? And maybe my dad knows something. I mean, if they're in town I'm sure he'd know it." Kyle continued.

Cassie tightened her grip on Kyle's hand, knowing what he was thinking. Kyle no! It's too dangerous, and we can't ask you to spy on your own father!" Cassie whispered.

Michael sat up straighter and pointed at Kyle. "That's a great idea! Can you get into your father's office? Will he be there this late?"

Kyle shook his head. "I'm not sure. He could be. With him, I never know what he's going to be up to."

"If he's not at his office, he's probably with my mom." Maria said dryly, and both Kyle and Maria exchanged similar sour faces at the thought.

Maria jumped up when the phone in the back room of the Crashdown rang. That was Liz's phone line. The cell phones inside the Crashdown didn't always work as well with all the machinery that was on all the time and the other cell phones around. She kept a phone downstairs as well as up stairs in case while she was working someone needed her.

Maria picked up the phone and heard everyone else crowd around the back room as well.

"No. Liz isn't here...Jordan? She WHAT?" Maria started, but Michael held out his hand for the phone. "Hold on Jordan, Michael wants to talk to you. Yeah he is." Maria chuckled and gave Michael the phone.

When Michael hung up he was frowning.

"What? What is it?" Isabel asked for them all.

"Well, Jordan is not sure, but he thinks Liz was trying to contact him. And he felt that Max and Liz were in trouble. So he called to see what was up. I told him what we knew, and he is going to try to reach out to Max and Liz himself as well."

"Liz was trying to reach him? Why not Max?" Kyle frowned. "Either Max really is brainwashed..." he didn't want to think of anything else.

"So is Jordan going to let us know if he does connect with them?" Cassie asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, he said to sit tight and he would let us know as soon as he knows. So. Let's find out where your dad is, Kyle, and see what he knows." Michael brought the conversation back around to Kyle's plan. That way they wouldn't have to just sit around. Michael wasn't big on waiting and figuring options when he could act.

"I'll call him at home first and see if he's there. Then I'll try the sheriff's office and then Maria, you can try your place." Kyle nodded and Isabel handed him her cell phone.

"We can check his office at work and at home for anything that could let us know if he's been in contact with the FBI or something." Alex said warming to this idea.

"He's at work." Kyle whispered as the office clerk was switching him. "Hey dad, yeah, um, I tried to call you at home to tell you I'd be late tonight. I'm going to study with the gang at the Crashdown for another hour or two. Yeah, just wanted to check in and let you know where I am."

When Kyle hung up they all stood. "Okay, so Michael and I will go check out my dad's office at home. Alex, you and Isabel go to the station and hang out until my dad leaves, he said he'd be heading home soon. Then Isabel you can get into his office there and look around." Kyle took initiative.

Isabel smiled and looked around at the gang. "Hmm...he might have possible potential as a man of the law after all." She said and then winked at Kyle.

Maria stood in front of Kyle and Michael as they started for the door. "What about Cassie and I? What do we do?" she said with her hands on her hips.

Michael knew what he wanted to do with her, as she stood all feisty in front of him, and his smile said as much. This caused Maria to gasp indignantly and hit him.

"You two stay here and wait for Jordan's call. Then you call us on the cell phone if Jordan finds anything out and we'll come get you guys." Michael said ignoring Maria's outburst.

"Okay. I hope he gets through. At least Liz was able to try to connect with Jordan." Maria sighed knowing it meant that Liz was okay for now.

******************

Nasedo watched from outside the Crashdown as all but two of the group left. He smiled realizing that the one he wanted was staying behind. He waited until all of the others had taken off before he came out from around the alley and put a hand over the door to open it.

Maria swung around and saw an older gentleman coming in. She had just locked it behind Michael and Kyle. What?

Cassie and Maria exchanged looks and tried to act casual. "I'm sorry sir, but the Crashdown is closed for the night." Maria said hoping that the door just hadn't locked right.

"I know. I'm not here for the food." The man said with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

Cassie felt the pull when the man met her eyes. He was one of them! Nasedo? She thought to herself.

"Very good little one. It has taken me a long time to find you. I now know that you're just coming into knowledge of your past, so that is how I have been able to home in on you finally." The man said.

Maria felt chills run up her spine as she looked from the confused Cassie, to the eerie man staring at Cassie.

"Nasedo." Cassie said out loud for Maria. She did not want to try to communicate telepathically with Maria in case Nasedo didn't know that the humans could do that with them.

Maria sucked in her breath. She had hoped her instincts were wrong.

"I'm not just Nasedo as the others have been telling you, Cassie. I am your father." He smiled again and stepped closer to Cassie.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 35
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.