FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Bird in a Gilded Cage "
Part 7
by bec
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: What would happen if the Government actually did get them, and what would the government want with them?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Chapter 7 -

Their gowns had been replaced with white scrub pants and white tank top T-shirts. The girls didn't care for the T-shirts, you could see through them. They constantly had to cross their arms over their chest so their nipples didn't show.

After the boys had dressed they were taken back to the cells, when they got there the girls were still strapped into their chairs. Topolsky was waiting with them.

"Alright, we're moving today people, your moving up-town. We have new quarters all ready for you." Topolsky informed them.

"Why are we moving?" Max ask.

"Phase II, Dr. Hanson has performed all the test we need to date. If anything else crops up we can just run you back up here for a quick test or two. But from today on you're going to be housed in a different location." Topolsky informed them. "And you belong to Yeager and I exclusively from now on. No more coddling from Dr. Hanson."

"Are we leaving this location for another one?" Max thought if they were outside they might have a chance at escape.

"No need for that, we have everything we need right here." Topolsky answered.

"And here being where?" Isabelle ask.

"About five hundred feet underground, you can't get out, so don't even think about it." Topolsky nodded at the technicians, they started to wheel them out of the room. "And the reason you can't use your powers, I know you where dying to ask," she smiled at them, "is because we've placed Titanium throughout the complex. They discovered during the investigation in 1959 that Titanium prohibits your powers. We don't know why but it comes in handy for us now doesn't it."

"Well that answers that question doesn't it." Michael said to Max. They both knew that the doctor had said all the aliens in the crash but them had died. But in 1959 they had a live alien, a conscious live alien to work with. Which brought up a lot of other questions.

They were rolled through a room with computers and other equipment down a long corridor. The halls were lined with doorways, some were open, others closed. They could see people moving around, they were all wearing white lab coats. They came to a large set of steel doors. There were two soldiers standing guard in front of the doors.

The blonde women spoke to the guards, "Topolsky, Access Code 2224-KT."

One of the guards turned to a panel in the wall, punched in some numbers and waited. After a few seconds a green light lit up the panel and a loud clanking noise was heard. "Access granted." The guard said. The door opened with a groan. It seemed to take forever.

Once the door was open completely they wheeled the teenagers through it. Another long corridor, this one filled with soldiers every ten feet. Everyone was quiet, they knew their chances of escape diminished more and more as they went deeper into this maze of doors and corridors.

They entered another corridor and Topolsky stopped. There were red lights crisscrossing the entire thirty-feet of hallway. You could hear a low buzzing noise. Once again Topolsky gave the same number code, there were no guards on this corridor, she seemed to be speaking to the air. Suddenly the lights went out, the buzz ceased, they entered the hallway. At the end was a large metal door. The same process was once again used and then the door clanged open. Inside this room was another monitoring room, exactly like the one outside of their cells. They were wheeled through another door, they were in a room that mirrored their old prison, although this room held only three rooms. Two on either side and one at the end of the room. These rooms were much larger than their former cells, they had the same small receptacle boxes, but these had larger beds, full size beds, but that was all, nothing else, and once again the motif was white, white with glass doors.

"Ok, have we done our math here, three rooms, six of us, what's wrong with this picture?" Maria questioned.

"Your right Ms. DeLuca, so it looks like we're gonna have to go with the buddy system." Topolsky said.

Topolsky walked to the first room she turned and looked at the technicians, "Subjects 001-ME and 004-EP go into Room A, Subjects 003-MG and 006-MD go into Room B." She had moved on to the second room, she stopped at the third room, smiled and continued, "Subjects 002-IE and 005-KV have Room C."

The technicians were busy wheeling each person to their respective rooms. Nothing was said as they released them and backed the chairs out of the rooms.

"Home sweet home." Michael said as he looked around.

Maria turned to Topolsky. "No, this is not going to happen, I am not staying in a room with him."

"Get used to it DeLuca, this is your home for as long as we need you." Topolsky said. "I'm going to go over this once more. The whole point to this little experiment is to duplicate an entire new life form. One with the cunning and intelligence that we feel will come with joining our genes with theirs."

"My God, listen to her, it's Hitler all over again. You can't do this." Liz exclaimed. "Their trying to create some kind of master race. That's preposterous, it didn't work for Hitler it's not going to work for you."

"Ms. Parker you have to understand if their race found our world, then why not some other race of aliens?" Topolsky said, you could hear the emotion, the passion in her voice. "If they found their way here, then other races can find us too. Ok, granted these three aliens may not be our enemies, but what about their race back home? What happens if their relatives show up, what if their not as nice as these three young people, aliens that weren't raised in our society, on our world, what do we do then? What about other races, other aliens, what happens if their bent on destroying our world. What do you plan to do about it? Just stand back and let them destroy us, I don't think you want that do you?"

"But to use us this way, to humiliate us, use our bodies, steal parts of us to create this new stronger human race, is that the answer?" Liz questioned her. "Isn't there any other way?"

Topolsky moved closer to the young girls cubicle. "We've had over fifty years to think about this Liz, this is the only answer we could come up with. If you can think of something else, something that can protect us, just say so now, we'll consider it, frankly we're running out of options here."

Liz had no answers for her, but she still couldn't condone what they were planning to do.

When Liz showed no sign of continuing Topolsky started up again. "All right then, if we're done with the semantics, your new cubicles have some new features, you can control the lighting and sound by the panel to the right of your door frames, the green button is lighting, the yellow is sound, you want privacy you just turn them off, press them again, they come back on, but don't kid yourself, if we want too we can take control at any time. Dr. Hanson has informed me that we have no worries of contamination, you all checked out fine in the test he conducted, no diseases, and well to be quite frank, all but one of you are virgins. Plus, some more good news, all of you are quite fertile. So where do we go from here you might be asking yourself. We can do this the hard way or the easy way. The easy way is you let nature take it's course and you all do what you have to do, or the hard way, Yeager and I will have to help you out in that department. Which is it going to be?"

"You have got to be joking right, there is no way I'm sleeping with him?" Isabelle pointed at Kyle.

"Let's just get this straight, I didn't ask you too." Kyle said.

"Oh goodie, we're going the hard route, I was hoping that's what you would choose." Topolsky turned to the door. "Well people you got a few hours to get accustom to your new homes, I'll be seeing you soon."

As the door closed behind her Max turned to Liz, he could see the tears forming in her eyes. Instinct took over and he enveloped her in his arms. "Max, what are we going to do, you saw what this place looks like, we're never going to be able to get out of here."

"Don't give up yet Liz, there's always a chance." He gently forced her head back until he could look into her eyes. "Always."

"But what they want to do, I mean we've done everything they've ask of us, but this, this is just plain wrong. I can't do this." Liz cried.

"I'm so sorry Liz, this is all my fault, if I had just stayed away from you none of this would have ever happened." Pulling her head back to his chest Max tightened his arms around her.

"No, it's not your fault, I'm just as much to blame, I wanted to be with you, every time you pushed me away, I just came back." She looked up and smiled at him. "It's ironic, before this, when we were still just playing at you being your normal typical teenager…I…well…I thought of being with you," she blushed. "It's all I thought about, in fact, there were so many times I just wanted you to kiss me, hold me." Her blushed deepened. "You went on and on about the danger, but I didn't really believe it. I just thought you didn't want to be with me."

He stared deeply into her eyes, "I always wanted to be with you, it's the reason I saved your life that day. Since the first day I met you I've wanted you."

Liz smiled, "you did?"

Suddenly a shrill whisper could be heard from the other cubicle, "They're going to do it, I can't believe this, they're really going to do this!"

Hearing Maria made Liz realize everyone could hear what she had said. "Oh My God." She dropped her head to Max's chest again. She couldn't have been more embarrassed.

Max turned his eyes to the other cells. "We're gonna have to talk about this, we have to discuss what we want to do."

"What we want to do? Hey buddy, they haven't given us much choice here now have they. We haven't done what WE'VE wanted to do since day one." Michael said. "If we don't do what they want they come marching in here with their drugs and somebody is gonna get hurt."

"I repeat, I'm not sleeping with him. And I'm especially not breeding with him. Yuck!" Isabelle threw herself against the wall of the cell. "I can't Max, there is no way."

"Have I ask you to, no I don't think so, so just calm down will you." Kyle tried to reassure the girl. He might act like a jerk sometimes but a rapist he wasn't.

"I don't think I could do it either, I mean I'm only sixteen for Christ sake, when I pictured my first time it wasn't in a laboratory and I wasn't one of the white mice ok." Maria was very close to losing control.

"Ok, then lets take a vote, Michael?" Max said.

"I don't want to see anyone get hurt again but, no, no way." Michael said. He turned and looked at Maria, she was shaking, he could see the fear in her eyes. He raised his hand and held it out to her, she looked at his hand and then looked up into his eyes again.

"Maria?" Max waited to see what she said.

She reached out and took Michael's hand, she felt him squeeze her hand, hard but it didn't hurt. She closed her eyes. "No, I can't do this."

"Liz?" Max looked down into her sad eyes.

"No, I say we tell them no." Max smiled at her, that wonderful, glowing smile, the one that told her everything was going to be all right.

"Izzy?" he said.

"Not in this lifetime," she said with anger.

"Kyle?" Max questioned.

"I'm with everyone else on this. It might land us in a lot of trouble, but there is no way." Kyle said.

Max cleared his throat and quietly said. "Ok, then its unanimous, we don't do it."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.