FanFic -
"Cupid Shot Us All"
Part 3
by Tinkerbell
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the WB Network, Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, or anyone else involved with Roswell. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story revolves around Valentine's Day and was written for a contest held on Irina's Roswell Page. The story has to PG-13 or less which means no smut. There must be one unconventional couple that has yet to be paired up. It has to revolve around Valentine's Day and alien cupids, a rubber ducky, a mushy love note, a Red Martian Cocktail, and a heart-shaped box full of chocolates must be in the story somewhere. The line "Now where did all those nuts go?" must be placed in the story and the word "viagra" has to be used without any reference to sex. I thought it would be fun to try it.
Category: Contest
Rating: PG-13
Alex turned on the light to the garage. "Here we are."

Isabel looked around, amused. "Okay."

Alex motioned to an old couch propped against the wall. "Have a seat."

Isabel obediently sat on the couch. Alex went over to his guitar, picked it up and came back over to her. He sat down on a stool across from her.

"I contemplated what to get you and then I realized that I already had it. It's been in my head since the third grade. But now is the first time that I have actually been able to capture it and give it to you." He met her eyes. "All I ask is that you don't laugh."

"I promise," she agreed.

Alex nodded. Then he closed his eyes and started to play. Isabel felt the music wash over her in waves. He could play the guitar beautifully. She had never seen this side of Alex. It made her wish that she had opened up to him earlier. Isabel sighed softly.

Alex began to sing and Isabel's eyes widened in surprise. He had a beautiful voice but the song was what surprised her. It was about her.

I see her almost every day
And I can't help but wish she'd look my way
And I know this heartache is gonna be the price I pay
But I will gladly take it for just one day

I is for her intelligence
S is for her sexiness
A is for her amazing ability to knock me off my feet
B is for her beauty inside and out
E is for the enigma that she is
L is for all the love that she has to give

Isabel felt the tears flowing down her cheeks as she listened to the beautiful song. Alex sill had his eyes closed as he poured his heart into it.

Then one day it happened right out of left field
She finally woke up and noticed me like in a dream
And I can't help but think that I got the better end of the deal
Because I get to sit right here and sing to her

I is for her intensity
S is for her sweetness
A is for her ambivalence
B is for her bountiful energy
E is for her eternal place in my heart
L is for her lovely smile

And looking down the long road ahead
I can't help but wish
That I'll be the one sharing her bed
That would be all I'd have on my Christmas list

I is for her integrity
S is for her soulfulness
A is for her amusing clothes
B is for her blatant honesty
E is for her efficiency
L is for her long blond hair

Isabel, Oh Isabel, Please say that you will be mine
Be my Valentine from now until the end of time.

Alex put down his guitar and opened his eyes. He looked at her almost afraid that he would see her laughing at him. But what he saw caused his breath to catch in his throat. Isabel was crying. Not from fear or sadness but from complete happiness.

Before Alex could say anything Isabel grabbed his hands and pulled him onto the couch. The she leaned in and kissed him. The kiss was explosive. It was a sweet kiss but it shocked them with its intensity until their toes were tingling. Alex pushed his hands into her soft hair reveling in the feel of her. Isabel held him as close to her as she could. When they finally broke apart they just looked into each other's eyes.

"That was the most beautiful song I have ever heard," she said softly.

Alex swallowed hard. "You really like it?"

"Oh yes Alex. I love it."

"Good." He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a CD and handed it to her. "I made you a copy of it."

Isabel flung her arms around him. "Thank you Alex." She wiped her eyes. "And now my gift to you. Myself...until the end of time."

Alex just stared at her for a moment. Then he smiled and leaned in to kiss her again.

They stayed that way for a long time. So long and so quiet that Mr. Whitman banged on the door to the garage to check on them.

"You okay in there," he asked concerned.

Alex and Isabel just grinned at each other.

"We're fine dad."

"Okay. Just checking."

Alex and Isabel started laughing. They laughed until they both cried. Isabel finally felt at peace. She knew how to laugh now. Alex had taught her that.

Alex held her close to him with his eyes closed. His heart squeezed painfully in his chest. After eight years of being secretly in love with her he finally had what he wanted right here with him. He would never ever let go.

***********************************************************

Diane Evans lay on the couch with her head on her husband's chest. She was so happy. "Phillip?"

"Hmm," Mr. Evans asked stroking her hair.

"I think our kids have found their soulmates."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Max is definitely in love with Liz Parker." Diane thought back to all the times she had met her, the way that Max talked about her and what Valenti had said about Max healing her.

"Family owns the Crashdown, right?"

"Yes."

"Oh. Of course. I met her on the camping trip. A very beautiful girl."

"Yes. She's perfect for Max. I'm sure of it. Sometimes you can just tell."

"You have wonderful intuition Diane."

"Yeah."

"And Isabel?"

"Alex Whitman."

Phillip Evans laughed. "Our Isabel and Alex Whitman! Who would have thought?"

"Yes. It is strange."

"Oh yes. I recall them going off to look at the stars together. Nice boy. Not someone I would picture Izzie with...but our baby has good taste."

"Yes. Both of our babies do."

Phillip nodded thoughtfully. "I am so glad that we found them."

"Me too."

They sat in comfortable silence for a long time. Finally Diane broke it. "Our babies are special aren't they Phillip?"

"Yes they are."

Diane Evans smiled to herself. They were both very special in more ways than one.

Mr. Evans looked down at his wife. "You ready to go to bed?"

"Yeah. I'm tired."

"Sleeping was not what I had in mind."

"Phillip Evans," Diane admonished.

"Happy Valentine's Day D," he said kissing her softly.

"Happy Valentine's Day Phillip."

***********************************************************

The others looked at Isabel and Alex smiling. So that was how he had finally broken through.

"Alex. Think you could write me one for Maria," Michael joked.

Maria punched him playfully in the arm. "You corndog."

Max was gazing at Liz again. He was always so obvious. Michael smiled at his friend's cluelessness. Liz was waiting on him to say the eight words that would make her his. I love you Liz. Will you marry me? That was all he had to do. Michael knew that he wanted to. Oh well. His best friend would have to take care of it himself. He looked around at the others. "Well, I guess it's my turn to humiliate myself."

Maria just smiled at him, knowing what was coming.

"Maria and I went over to her house to watch movies...."

***********************************************************

Maria glanced over at Michael. They had on Never Been Kissed but neither one of them was paying much attention to it. Maria wished that he would just take her back into his strong arms and never let her go again. But...that was wishful thinking...or was it?

Michael was having a hard time concentrating on anything but Maria being so close to him. All he wanted to do was pull her against him and never let her go. But he could never do that. He had pushed her away. She probably did not even the same way about him anymore. He had to stop kidding himself. Maria had learned her lesson. She would never let herself fall for him again. Michael swallowed the lump that rose in his throat and tried to concentrate on anything but her.

Maria got up and turned off the television. "This is getting nowhere," she yelled.

Michael looked at her curiously. "Yeah."

Maria walked over to her closet and pulled out her alien cupid and thrust it into his hands. "I made this for you."

Michael looked at the creature amused but touched. It was adorable and it smelled like her. Michael held the alien cupid tightly and said the three words that Maria wanted to hear. "Thank you Maria."

She smiled. "You're welcome Michael. I know it's a little sloppy but-,"

It's perfect," he cut in gazing at her intensely.

Maria swallowed. "Okay."

Michael got up and went over to his jacket. He pulled out a small package and handed it to her. "For you."

Maria opened the package carefully. She gasped at what was inside. It was the picture Michael had painted in art class.

"I was supposed to be painting Aphrodite but your face was the only one I could see," he said quietly.

"Oh Michael. It's beautiful. Thank you."

"It needs work but-,"

"No," she interjected. "It's perfect."

They stared at each other for a moment trying to decide what to do. Then before either one of them could think they had their arms wrapped around each other and were kissing passionately.

"No matter how hard I try I just cannot walk away from you," Michael mumbled against her throat.

"I know what you mean."

When they finally got themselves back under control Maria reached up and brushed a hand through his hair. "Stay."

Michael gulped. "Sure thing."

Maria nodded and looked into his eyes. "Michael...I-I love you."

Michael closed his eyes. She had no idea just how much he had wanted to hear those words or how much they meant to him but especially how much he wanted to say them to her.

Maria reached up and pulled her dress up and over her head.

"Maria? What are you-,"

"Shh. Take off your pants and sweater."

Michael looked at her for a moment then did as she asked. Maria went over to the bed. She held out her hand to Michael and he took it. They lay down on the bed together. Maria rested her forehead against his and gazed into his eyes. "Just hold me."

Michael nodded. "Thank you Maria."

"For what," she asked looking at him curiously.

"For giving me something to live for."

Maria nodded, wrapping her arms around him as he crushed her against his chest. She felt sleep coming upon her and yawned. "I hope mom had fun with Valenti."

Michael chuckled. "Who knows." He became serious again. "Maria."

"Yeah?"

"I love you too." There, he had said it. It felt so good to say it.

Maria smiled against his shoulder. "I know."

They stayed that way for a long time. Suddenly Michael thought of something that he had been meaning to ask her. He knew that she would tell him the truth. "Maria?"

"Hmmm?"

"What's Viagra?"

Michael noticed the comical surprise that crossed her face. "Oh no. Not you too. Please don't laugh at me."

Maria laughed before she could stop herself. "Oh Michael. I'm sorry. It's just funny that you would ever ask that question."

Michael nodded. "The others just laughed at me. So, what is it?"

Maria smiled at him. "Let's just say that you never need to worry about it."

***********************************************************

The six friends looked at each other and burst out laughing. Even Michael joined in now that he knew what it was. When they finally calmed down.

"Who would have thought you and Michael would tie the knot first," Isabel commented.

"Yeah," Michael agreed. "I always thought that it would be...." He trailed off realizing his mistake. Max looked stricken and Liz would not even look at him.

Maria broke the strained silence. "I guess I should tell you guys about what happened with Valenti and my mom."

"They're married aren't they," Max asked.

"Yeah. But still...."

***********************************************************

Sheriff Valenti knew something was wrong now. Amy was still not there. Where could she be? Suddenly he remembered her saying something about having to stop by the UFO Center to drop of some goods. That had to be where she was. Jim strode out of the house confidently.

***********************************************************

Amy DeLuca was still in shock over Milton's admission. He seemed embarrassed about it. She sighed. It was after ten. Her night was officially shot. Where the hell was Jim? As if on cue his voice cut through her thoughts. "Amy? You in there?"

Amy jumped to her feet. "Jim! Thank God."

"What happened," he asked through the door.

"We accidentally got locked in here. Please get me out of here."

"I will. Milton?"

"Yeah Sheriff."

"Where are your keys?"

"On the desk."

"Okay. I'll be back in a minute."

Amy turned around to look at Milton. He gave her a small smile.

"At least we still have a few hours left."

"Yeah," Milton said.

"What are you going to do?"

"Go home and watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Amy gave him a look.

"Or maybe I'll watch E.T."

Amy just shook her head.

Suddenly the door was flung open and Jim was standing there. "Hey."

"Hey," Amy said smiling at him.

"Milton."

"Hey Sheriff."

"Glad to see you guys are alright." He turned to Amy. "It's good to see you. At least you got locked in here with a nice person."

Amy just smiled secretly. "Yeah."

Milton nodded to Valenti. "You've got yourself a hell of a woman there Sheriff. Never let her go."

Jim looked at him surprised. Then he nodded. "I don't intend to." He looked over at Amy. "You ready?"

"Yes!"

They walked out of the storage room. Jim chuckled as he opened the front door for her. "You know it's funny. I chase aliens and you manufacture them for a living. What kind of message is that supposed to be?"

Amy smiled at him. "I guess it just means that we're perfect for each other."

Jim smiled back. "Yeah. Maybe you're right."

Milton watched them leave and sighed heavily. At least he had finally said what he had always wanted to say to her. He was about to turn out the lights when her voice cut through his thoughts.

"Milton?"

"Yeah Amy."

"I'll come by in the morning and you can pay me for the stuff."

"Okay."

"Thank you Milton."

"For what?"

"For making me feel special when I needed to."

He smiled his first real smile of the evening. "You are most welcome Amy. Have a good night."

"Yeah. Goodnight Milton. Happy Valentine's Day."

"You too Amy."

Amy left and Milton shook his head. At least he still had gotten to be with her for a few hours. And he still had his dreams and his movies. Maybe he would go home and watch An Affair to Remember. He had always loved that movie.

***********************************************************

Isabel burst into laughter. "Milton liking romance classics. Who would have thought that?"

Max just smiled. He had always suspected that Milton was a mush on the inside.

"Well Max, you're next," Maria said giving him a knowing look.

"Yeah. I guess I am." He looked at Liz. She was gazing at her shoes.

***********************************************************

Max took Liz to the cave. He had spent all afternoon up here fixing it up. He just hoped that she liked it. Liz looked around at the place and smiled. "Wow."

"You like it?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"Anything for you Liz."

Liz swallowed a lump in her throat. They were just here as friends. She had to remember that. Max took her hand and led her over to the blanket that he had spread out on the floor of the cave. They sat down in silence. Finally Liz broke it by reaching into her coat and pulling out the heart shaped box with the chocolate in it. "Here," she said giving it to him. "I made this for you."

Max took the box and opened it. Inside was his favorite thing in the world: chocolate. Well, his second favorite thing. Liz would always be his number one but chocolate was a close second and Tabasco sauce was a close third. He smiled at Liz. "Did you make these yourself?"

She nodded. "Yeah. I am not even going to try and tell you how long it took me to get it right. Then I made the box too."

"Wow. Thank you."

"Try one."

Max took out one and popped it into his mouth. "Umm. Very good. Thank you Liz."

"You're welcome Max."

Max looked at her for a moment. She was so beautiful.

Liz cleared her throat. "Thank you for tonight Max.

I know that there are probably other things that you would rather be doing but I just want you to know that I really appreciate you spending time with me."

Max shook his head and looked into her eyes. "There is no place that I would rather be Liz."

Liz felt tears form in her eyes and she let out a deep breath. "Thank you for saying that."

"I mean it Liz." Max pulled out the letter from his coat pocket and handed it to her. "Here."

"What's this," she asked taking it from him and looking at it curiously.

"It's something that you have wanted for a long time."

Liz looked at him for a moment and then opened the envelope. Two pages of yellow paper fell into her lap. She picked them up and began to read them.

Liz,

I know that right now things are not the best for us. I just wanted to tell you everything that is in my heart. I know that this is what you have always wanted from me but that I have never been able to give. Until now. Being apart from you after I had you has made me realize just how empty I am without you. I want to let you in now. I'm ready.

Liz looked up at him for a moment. He nodded to her and she continued to read.

I should probably start by telling you that I have been in love with you ever since the first day I saw you. I stepped off the bus holding Isabel's hand. I was so afraid that I would never fit in or ever find anyone that could love and accept me for who I was. Then I saw you. Everything stood still as I saw you playing a hand game with Maria. You looked beautiful to me even then. Then you looked up and I saw your beautiful brown eyes and I was lost for forever. You smiled at me and I thought that I was going to die right then and there. From that day on you were the only girl I ever thought about.

I went through life thinking that I could never be with you because of what I was. We were different. So I contented myself with being able to see you every day. I would come into the Crashdown just to see you. Sure the foods great...but the waitress has always been better. Even before I could come in alone I would convince my parents to take me to the Crashdown to eat with hopes that I would be able to catch just one glimpse of you. You gave me a reason to dream. A reason to live. I watched you as you grew up and you just became even more beautiful and further out of reach.

Then came the day at the Crashdown that would change my life forever, not to mention yours. When I saw you laying on the floor my heart stopped beating. I couldn't breath. I couldn't think about anything except that the one thing that I woke up for every day was being taken away. I could not let you die. You had too much to give, too much to live for. I ran blindly over to where you were and ripped open your uniform. I saw the blood oozing out of your skin and I almost cried. You were in pain and you would die if I did not do something. I could never let you die. Damn the consequences I said to myself. I cannot let her die. I love her too much and she doesn't even know it. So I placed my hand over the wound and healed you without any second thoughts. And I have never had any nor will I ever have any. Loosing you would have been worse than being found out. I saw everything you were feeling...your dying thoughts. The cupcake dress that you looked adorable in but were regretting the way you felt about it. Then it was over and you were looking at me with a new light in your eyes. It was hard for me to break that gaze but I had to. So I begged you not to say anything...knowing that you wouldn't and ran out. I stopped at the door just to double check and I saw you staring at me with a look I still can only describe as awe at the realization that I would care that much to risk my life for you. And then I had to tell you the truth. I could understand the fact that you were upset. It's not every day that you find out you have been going to school with an alien. But the truth is ...of everyone in this town you are the one person that I always wanted to tell. And after I did I knew that I had not made a mistake.

You have risked your life for me and Michael and Isabel more times than I can bear to think about. You are a truly selfless person. I kept myself content knowing that at least I had you on my side and that it would have to be good enough. But...that could never be good enough for me after I glimpsed what it could be like to truly be with you.

That night on your roof when you let me kiss you I felt like the luckiest man on the face of the earth. It was just so overwhelming that someone as wonderful as you would care about me. I just hope that I didn't make too big of a mess out of it. Kissing you was the most wonderful experience I have ever known and I would not trade it for anything in this world. Then when we went on our one and only date...and you and I danced it was like I was complete. Nothing could make me feel more whole than being with you. And it still can't.

When I told you that we needed a break so that I could regain my balance, my heart broke in two. Just seeing the hurt that was etched on your face made me want to take it back. But I had to do it. I was so out of control that I could see nothing but you. I can still see you...in the forefront of my mind...but now that we have had time apart I can see everything else too. It comes from deep inside of you. You are deep inside of me and I will never ever let you get lost again. And I meant what I said when I told you that no matter what happens it will be all worthwhile for me. It's true. You will always be worthwhile for me.

I love you Liz Parker. I have since the first day I met you and I will until the day I die. No matter what happens. This is the truth that I know you have longed to hear and now that I have told you what's in my heart I hope that you will forgive me and let me back into the place that I have always called home. You.

Love, Max

Liz had started crying somewhere in the letter. Max was not sure where. She looked up at him and his heart melted. The love that she had for him was still there. He saw it shining in her eyes. Without saying a word he pulled her into his arms and kissed her tears away. When he let her go she looked up at him. "Max...I...thank you for finally letting me in."

"No," he said brushing a strand of her soft hair away from her face. "Thank you Liz Parker for letting me in."

***********************************************************

The six of them sat in silence. Max and Liz always were the soul mates of the bunch from the beginning. Their love was the fairytale story that was supposed to have a happy ending. But somehow...it had eluded them. No one said a word as they looked from Max to Liz and back to Max.

Max got out of his chair and went over to where Liz was crying silently on the couch. He kneeled down in front of her. "Liz," he said softly, placing a finger under her chin and lifting her eyes up to meet his. "Look at me."

Her brown eyes lifted and looked at his. Max swallowed hard. "I am so sorry for all the pain and heartache that I have caused you. I have never felt more alive than I have when I'm with you. You complete me. I cannot live without you. I am so sorry that I ran from you eight years ago. I have regretted that decision every day of my life. But now, I want to change that." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small ring. "I came back here specifically to set things straight, profess my undying love for you and to ask you to marry me."

Liz looked at him and her mouth dropped open.

The others just watched them in silence. Come on Liz, please say yes Isabel thought to herself. My brother will never be able to take it if you say no. Alex must have realized what she was thinking because he squeezed her hand. Maria was crying too. Michael put his arm around his wife and smiled. He knew what Liz would say.

Liz touched Max's face. "Oh Max. I have never stopped loving you. I never will either. Of course I'll marry you."

Max let out a sigh or relief. "I was hoping you'd say that," he said slipping the ring on her finger. They stood up and Max pulled her into his arms, once again kissing away her tears. The others cheered.

"It's about damn time," Michael said expressing what everyone was thinking.

Max and Liz were oblivious to everyone else around them. They were lost in each other.

Finally, Maria poked Liz in the ribs. "Okay. You guys can catch up on the smoochies later. Right now we need to get to the Crashdown."

Max and Liz reluctantly pulled apart. "Yeah."

***********************************************************

Waiting on them at the Crashdown was some unexpected surprises. The Parker's, the Evans', the Whitman's, the Valenti's, and River Dog were waiting on them. Kyle would have been there but he and Vicky were snowed in at their home in New York.

"Oh my God," Maria exclaimed. "Liz. How did you do this?"

"I'm resourceful."

"Hello River Dog," Isabel said giving the old man a hug.

He smiled at her. "Hello." He looked around at his young friends. Everything had turned out like he had suspected.

Max and Liz went over to their parents who were talking together.

Max cleared his throat. "We uh, we have an announcement to make."

The Parker's and the Evans' looked at their children expectantly.

"We're getting married," Liz said smiling.

Diane Evans and Nancy Parker exchanged knowing looks. "We figured that was what it was," they said at the same time.

Phillip Evans and Jeff Parker looked at their wives confused. Women. Then everyone was hugging everybody and there was no time to contemplate motherly intuition. They all stood around the table with their glasses raised. Max, Liz, Michael, Maria, Alex, Isabel, Amy and Jim Valenti, Phillip and Diane Evans, River Dog, Jeff and Nancy Parker, The Whitman's, and even little Maryleigh. Maryleigh held up her cup with orange juice. Everyone else had Red Martian Cocktails...this time they were all alcoholic.

"To friends," River Dog said quietly.

"To intuition," Diane Evans said looking around at everyone.

"To love," Maria said looking at Michael.

"To happiness," Isabel said squeezing Alex's free hand.

"To children," the Parker's said at the same time.

"To miracles," Max and Liz said together gazing into each other's eyes.

"To family," the Whitman's said smiling.

"To our fellow man," Phillip Evans added.

"To love songs," Alex said smiling at Isabel.

"To storage rooms," Amy said smiling secretively.

"To alien cupids," Jim Valenti said smiling at his wife.

"To Tabasco sauce," Michael piped in.

Everyone laughed.

"Thank you for coming everyone and happy Valentine's Day," Liz said looking around at all of them.

A chorus of "here here's" and the clinking of glasses followed. Later as everyone had broken off into groups Isabel took Alex's' hand and cleared her throat. "I have an announcement to make too."

Every one got quiet and looked at Isabel.

She was practically beaming. "I'm six weeks pregnant."

Alex's jaw dropped open and he swept Isabel up into his arms and swung her around. "Oh my God. My life is perfect," he yelled.

Isabel laughed and kissed him.

Everyone else clapped. Maria looked around at all the various couples that were gathered. The Parker's, Evans', the Valenti's and the Whitman's were all in a group talking. River Dog was being entertained by Maryleigh. Alex was still joyously swinging Isabel around. If he didn't stop soon...she was probably going to throw up...then again, maybe not. Max and Liz had their arms wrapped around each other and were oblivious to everything around them. That was normal. And she was standing here with her husband's strong arms around her and his chin resting on her head.

"What are you thinking about," he asked her softly.

"Maria smiled and squeezed his hands. "I was just thinking about everyone and the way things turned out."

"And?"

"Well. The answer is quite obvious."

"Which is?"

"Cupid shot us all."

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.