Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 79
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
“WHAT?” Maria screamed in the middle of the Crashdown. Liz immediately covered Maria’s mouth with her hand and ushered both Maria and Alex to the backroom.

“Maria, I don’t exactly need you telling the whole world!” Liz hissed at her, bunching her frustrated hands into her already tousled hair. She was certain that a aggravated, hair-rising scream was lodged somewhere in her throat.

Alex moved towards Liz, placing his comforting hands on top of hers, and gave her a calming smile. Liz sighed heavily and let her body collapse into Alex’s arms, hugging him close to her. Right now, she needed to draw strength, any strength, from her friends.

Alex kissed Liz’s head softly, trying to reassure the doubt in her mind. “Liz, it’s going to be all right We-”

“No! It’s not going to be all right! Max has been distant from me for the past two weeks. He barely talks to me, and when he actually graces me with his presence, he doesn’t dare touch me. He just…” Liz heaved another sigh, looking up at Alex with teary eyes. “I think he’s afraid of me.” She let her head fall heavily against Alex’s chest, a dull thud sounding.

“Honey, I’m still scared of you,” Maria uttered a few steps away. Alex whipped his head towards her.

“Maria!” Alex scolded, giving her a pointed glare.

“What? I am. That was some freaky shit you pulled back there with Khivar. I’m still trying to get my mind around it.”

It had been two weeks since their escape from the compound. No one really talked about it. No one wanted to.

But it was driving Liz absolutely insane. She needed to talk about it. Her logical mind wouldn’t rest until. She knew that her burst of power and anger had shocked and terrified the whole group. Hell, she was pretty terrified herself. She didn’t blame Maria for being scared of her. She didn’t blame any of the group for being scared of her. It just hurt, that’s all.

Alex and Adam had been there though. For the past two weeks, Liz could confide in the two without worries of them turning their backs on her. Of course, she knew that the whole group would never turn their backs on her, but still, they were keeping their distance. So she had spilt her worries and hurt into the hearts of Alex and Adam. Alex because he had been in the cell with her, he had felt the same fear she had. Adam because… he was Adam, he never showed the slightest bit of fear towards Liz. He was almost awed by what she did.

Alex was battling his own demons though, and often ended up in Liz’s room by dawn. He told he kept having these nightmares that just haunted him until he felt the need to pull his kidneys out by hand just to stop the enduring horror of his nightmares. More than once Alex had shown up in tears, repeating over and over he was sorry for what he done to Liz, how he had gotten them into that mess. Liz always ended up crying with him.

Alex had figured out that parts of his nightmares were real and some not. With Liz and Adam’s reasoning, they figured that Alex’s mind was recalling everything that Khivar had done while being in use of his body. They pieced together with Alex’s nightmares that Khivar had gained access to Alex’s mind during the time of Maria’s meltdown, caused by, of course, Khivar. Through the link, Khivar used Alex’s mind with his own little on and off switch.

Alex puked for twenty minutes straight, horrified by the idea of the scum controlling his mind.

The upside of Khivar’s mind control, if there were any upsides, was that Alex had access to powers. Khivar’s awakening of powers stayed within his body, and Adam had already started to help Alex with controlling them.

“Liz, honey,” Maria said, softening. She moved to her best friends side, and looked at them intently. “Are you sure?”

“Well, it would make sense, wouldn’t it? The whole burst of my powers? Why I could suddenly talk that day? Why I could… kill Khivar…” Liz swallowed and buried her head into Alex’s chest, tears wetting his shirt.

“Oh Lizzie!” Maria exclaimed, throwing herself into the embrace between her best friends. “Lizzie, honey, you had to do that. That space beast got what he deserved.”

“Do you really believe that?” Liz snapped, staring Maria straight in the eyes. Maria was struck by Liz’s sharpness and stumbled back, away from Alex and Liz.

“Liz… Liz, what do you mean by that?” Maria asked, staring wide eyed at her.

“Well, lets see,” Liz spat at her, pulling out of Alex’s arms. Her hands found a defiant spot on her hips, clearly marking her building tension. “All of you have been ignoring me since we’ve gotten back to Roswell. Other than Alex and Adam, I haven’t so much as heard a peep from any of you, including Max. If I talk to any of you, it’s because I call you, or I come to see you. You may think that by coming to work and pretending to be normal will help, but it’s not!”

“Liz, maybe you should calm down,” Alex coaxed. “This can’t be good-”

“NO!” Liz screamed. “I’m sick of walking on goddamn eggshells for these people. I was there too! If for some reason your little mind can’t remember, I was the one who killed Khivar.”

“Eggshells?” Maria screamed back. “Walking on eggshells for us? You’re the one who’s flipping out here! If anyone is walking on eggshells, it’s us walking on freaking eggshells for you! This is what we didn’t want! You going absolutely insane and losing your mind! I can’t believe-”

“What the hell is going on in here?” Michael bellowed from the kitchen. A dirty spatula was in one hand and his other hand was resting on his waist. “Do I need to remind you that you’re screaming at each other in a public restaurant? Which, luckily, is dead at the present moment. I don’t think screaming out alien names or murdering aliens is going to help us any.” Maria and Liz both looked away, anger still glowing on their faces.

“Now what the hell is going on?” Michael repeated.

“Just a mild disagreement, Michael,” Alex replied, sighing.

“No!” Maria shrieked. “This is not just a mild disagreement. This is about Liz thinking she’s the fucking queen of-”

“Oh! Don’t even go there!” Liz screamed. She ran towards Maria but Alex grabbed her before she could pounce. Maria squealed and ran towards Liz too, but Michael quickly held her back.

“LADIES!” Alex yelled. “Calm down! To your respected corners!”

“WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?” Maria screamed at Liz. Her breathing was sharp and rapid, her eyes hard with anger.

“What’s wrong with ME? What’s wrong with YOU?” Liz screamed back. She was fighting against Alex’s grip, trying to reach Maria. Liz let out a frustrated cry, and suddenly the light bulb in the overhead light burst into tiny pieces. The whole room quieted immediately, each person still.

“What the hell…” Michael whispered. He, Maria, and Alex all turned their heads towards Liz. The leftover light from the room only illuminated half of her face, and a pale glaze settled over. She looked back at each of them, tears already forming in her eyes. Another shrill cracking sounded, and more glass pieces fell to ground.

“Oh my god…” Maria murmured, staring from where the light bulbs used to be to the glass pieces on the floor.

“Liz,” Alex said to her. Liz just looked up at him with a sense of fear gliding in her eyes. “Liz, you’ve got to calm down. You’ve got to get a hold of your emotions.”

“Alex, what’s wrong with me?” Liz half whispered, half moaned.

“It can feel your stress. It can feel your emotions. You’ve got to tune them down.” Liz nodded, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

“Oh god, you were serious. You’re- holy shit.” Maria threw a hand over her mouth, little tears falling from her eyes. Flinging herself at Liz, she wrapped her arms around her best friend, and cried with her.

“Liz, honey, I’m so sorry. I’m so, so sorry…” Maria cried. She felt Liz’s arms wrap back around her, and they held each other in a tight embrace.

“No, I’m sorry, Maria. I didn’t mean those things I said. None of it.” Maria just nodded.

“I’m sorry too.” Maria pulled away from Liz a little, and stared her dead in the eye. “You know that whatever happens, I’m right here for you, right? I’m so here for you. Whenever and whatever you need.” Liz nodded, and they pulled each other back into a tight embrace. Liz held her hand out and Alex took it, bringing himself into the circle.

“Uh, guys, anyone want to fill me in on what the fuck just happened?” Michael asked with an unsure quality. Liz looked up at Michael, and her face features softened. She kissed both of Alex and Maria’s cheeks and pulled away. Walking towards Michael, she tossed her arms around his neck, surprising Michael with a hug. Quickly, Michael returned the hug to his sister. Quietly, he asked her, “Lizzie bear, are you okay?”

Liz nodded, a small smile evolving on her face. “I’m okay. Michael, I’m pregnant.”

“WHAT?” Michael shouted, pulling away from Liz. Dejected, Liz shrank back from him. Michael flinched, regretting his outburst for Liz’s reaction but unable to keep his feelings to a minimum.

“Where is he? Where’s Max?” Michael growled. “I’m going to hunt him down and neuter that son of a bitch!”

“Michael, no!” Liz exclaimed. “You can’t! He… he doesn’t know yet.” Michael’s eyes narrowed.

“What do you mean he doesn’t know yet?

“I haven’t told him, and you’re not allowed to.”

“What? You’re just NOT going to tell him?” Michael yelled, his hands bunching in his hair.

“Michael, don’t be stupid,” Maria sighed. “Of course she’s going to tell him. But SHE’S going to tell him, you’re not.” Maria was back into normal mode: high strung and easily annoyed.

“But…” Michael’s voice trailed off, looking truly lost. “How could this happen?”

“And we all thought you passed sex education!” Maria exclaimed. Michael glared at her, not at all appreciating her sarcasm.

“You know what I mean,” Michael pressed on, staring directly at Liz. She bit her lip, nervous under his scrutiny.

“Michael, we were careful. I promise. You know Max and I are responsible like that.” Liz nodded, trying to further her statement with physical movement.

“They were- uh, careful,” Alex added. He scratched his eyebrow, looking down. “Maria and I found a … you know.” Michael’s eyes narrowed.

“No, I don’t know. Please, indulge me with what you found,” Michael replied. Liz put her hands on her hips, looking equally as suspicious.

“Yes, please, I too would like to know what you found,” Liz insisted. Alex’s face turned red and he begged Maria for help with his eyes.

Maria rolled her eyes, exasperated. “We found one of little Maxie’s fun hats. You know, his Crayola marker top, his monkey’s protector, the chickens shielded pecker-”

“MARIA, WE GET THE POINT!” Liz yelled, immediately throwing her hands against her reddened face. Liz paced back and forth before finally sitting herself down on the couch.

“You saw them… oh GOD. That’s my SISTER.” Michael threw himself against the wall, letting his whole body slump against it.

“We didn’t actually see them!” Alex shouted back. His face was red with embarrassment. “We, uh… just had to get something from Liz’s room. They were already sleeping.” Maria nodded in agreement.

“And that’s all beside the point,” Maria furthered. “The point is that they weren’t stupid and used a condom.”

“But Liz is still pregnant?” Michael asked, muffled by the wall.

“Yes,” Liz replied.

“So, what? We have super sperm or something?”

“Appears so.”

“Oh great.” Michael twisted his body towards Maria, pointing a finger at her. “You and I are never having sex.” Maria rolled her eyes and slapped his shoulder.

“How long do you think you’ve been… preggo?” Maria asked, moving to sit down beside Liz.

“I… uh… don’t know,” Liz stuttered, nervously glancing at Michael and then at the floor. Maria raised an eyebrow.

“Ok, Guerin, out.” Michael turned in surprise.

“Maria, what?”

“You heard me. Out. Girl talk. Liz, Alex and me only.”

“Alex isn’t a girl.”

“Fine then. Humans only.”

“You’re not human either,” Michael replied smugly.

“MICHAEL GUERIN, IF YOU DON’T LEAVE IN THE NEXT TWO SECONDS, I SWEAR-”

Michael quickly scurried out of the room. Maria grinned triumphantly. Turning back towards Liz, she said, “Ok, chica, coast is clear. Spill.”

Alex too came forward and sat on the other side of Liz.

“Well,” Liz started, still not looking either of her best friends in the eye. Why did she have to have the only relationship where it was vital to their lives that her sex life be shared?

“The last time we… uh, you know… was in the hotel at Sunny Oaks.”

“So he DID make you scream!” Maria yelped. “Cream too, obviously!”

“MARIA!” Liz exclaimed, hiding her face in her hands again. Alex put an arm around Liz’s shoulders, trying to wipe the smirk off his face.

“Ignore Maria,” Alex soothed. “Do you think you were pregnant by then?” Liz shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t know, but I do know I was pregnant by the time I…”

“Obliterated Khivar?” Maria inquired. Liz nodded. Maria sighed in complete understanding. “So that’s how you did it.” Liz nodded again.

“Well, the whole reason Khivar wanted Liz to have his baby was because the child would be so incredibly powerful,” Alex explained. “Well, the baby would be even more powerful if the parents were Liz and Max. And poof, magic presto! You’ve got either a baby Max or a baby Liz fueling Liz’s power source.”

“So,” Maria replied slowly, trying to figure it all out in her head. “Your voice and your strength came back because of the baby.”

“That’s right,” Liz said. “Basically, the baby healed me.”

“Uh huh. Then baby Max or Liz made you do all that funky stuff that ended up killing Khivar?” Both Liz and Alex nodded at Maria question. “Wow.”

“We figure that the baby felt my anger and it wouldn’t rest until I got revenge-”

“Because the baby felt everything you did since Khivar had captured you!” Maria responded. She tilted her head in comprehension. “Like I said, that was some freaky shit.”

Maria moved down towards Liz’s stomach, rubbing it gently. Smiling, she said, “Hey baby Max or baby Liz. This is your Auntie Maria talking. Thanks for saving our asses.”

“Well, the baby says you’re welcome,” Liz giggled, letting ease settle over. She smiled at her best friends. “Thanks for being there for me, guys.”

“Where else would we be, chica?” Maria leaned in to hug Liz, and Alex soon followed.

“All for one, and one for all, right?” Alex replied.

“Right,” Maria said. She looked at Liz, gaining a serious expression. “You better share this with the rest of the group, especially Max.”

“I know,” Liz sighed. “It’s just that I don’t want to tell anyone else until I tell Max, but he’s been so distant from me, I’m not even sure how he’d handle it. We have all these plans now that Khivar’s dead, and this is just going to mess it up.”

“Liz, honey, if there’s anything I know for sure in this little brain of mine, it’s that Max Evans loves you. He would go the distance and beyond. If anything, he’s going to be excited about the little one.” Maria rubbed Liz’s belly again. “I know I sure am.” Liz smiled at Maria’s support.

“I’m going to tell him. Just give me a few days, all right?”

“You know Manika is leaving tomorrow. The ship is leaving in the morning. She should know. You really should tell Max tonight,” Alex insisted. Liz groaned.

“I know, I know. I’m just scared.” Liz closed her eyes, momentarily, and then started to nod. “I’ll tell him. Tonight. I promise. I can do this.”

“See, chica, you can do this!” Maria encouraged. “And even if he’s pigheaded about it, which I know for a fact he won’t be, you’ve always got Alex and me by your side. Oh yeah, and that oaf of a brother too.” Liz grinned, hugging Maria and Alex again.

“You guys are the best.” Liz leaned back against the couch, stretching her arms above her head. She moaned again, realizing something. “Oh god, my parents are going to kill me.” Alex rubbed her shoulders, hoping it would reassure her.

“When do Mr. and Mrs. P come back, anyways?” Maria asked.

“Next week.”

“You’ve got a week to figure out a way to sweeten the way it sounds. No problem-o, honey!” Maria winked and stood up.

“Ok, well, I think it’s time I get going. The group meeting is tonight, and I promised my mom I’d spend some time with her. She’s not so pissed about me ‘taking off into the wild unknown and venturing with my trusty companions’ anymore.” Maria snorted. “Yeah, if only she knew.” Maria blew a kiss to both of her best friends and strutted out of the room.

Liz turned to Alex, pondering for a moment. Liz huffed.

“She’s got that right.”

“What’s that?” Alex inquired.

“Our parents. The whole world. They’re completely oblivious to the fact that aliens live among them. My parents don’t know that their only daughter is an alien queen and pregnant with a royal alien heir.” Liz dropped her head onto Alex’s shoulder, sighing.

“If only they all knew.”

Part 78 | Index | Part 80
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.