Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 7
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
Whoa, Adam, breathe. BREATHE. She was just joking. You know, ha ha? She did not mean anything more than that. Max? Remember him? Alien king? Could and would fry every part of your body? And I mean, EVERY part of your body! Ouch. Ok, good body. Calming down.

Adam opened his eyes. He began to take in his surroundings, sneaking a glance at his pale hands. They were tightly gripping the counter, his knuckles a ghostly white. He slowly eased his hands off the counter, as if in fear that any sudden movements could harm him. Adam pulled himself up straight and took a long, deep breath.

All right. She’s waiting for you. No losing your mind. Now go.

Adam marched towards the employee door like a determined soldier. He held his hand out defensively and shoved open the door… and almost fell over from a heart attack.

Liz stood there in all her shining glory. The red velvet of her gown clung protectively to her body, seeming as just another layer of skin. The strapless dress accentuated her bare, glistening shoulders, its dark, rich colour highlighting her glowing cheekbones. Her hair was swept casually against her exposed skin, spotlighting her delicious neck.

Adam’s eyes began to slowly sweep down Liz’s body, spotting the mini-train flaring out at the bottom of the strikingly elegant dress.

“That’s… it’s… I… wow, Liz,” Adam coughed out. Any words he had in his little alien mind had flown out the minute he walked into the room.

“Why, thank you, Adam!” Liz giggled. “But I know I don’t look as good as you’re pretending I do! Although I appreciate the gesture.” Liz winked at him. “Just look at me though, I’m wearing runners with this dress! And my hair, ugh, lets not go there.” Liz picked up her hair and let it fall limply. She smiled again, and twirled around. “Other than that, what do you think?”

“Well, I uh… um… wow.”

“Adam, you said that already.” Liz rolled her eyes, and put her hands on her hips.

“Right. Ok. Let me pop my eyes back into their sockets. Liz, you look…”

“I look…?”

“Like a godess. Simply breathtaking.” Liz smiled, blushing slightly. Suddenly a squeal emanated from her, and she ran to Adam, hugging him tightly.

“Thanks so much, Adam. I just wasn’t sure about this dress, but now I am. Oh! Your brother is going to love this!” Eek. Brother. Adam smiled weakly and stumbled back out into the dining room.

Brother? Hah, what a joke. He was happy that Michael and Liz acted like real siblings, but Max being Adam’s brother was way too weird for him. Especially since he had the hots for his brother’s girlfriend, soul mate and Queen. Brother weren’t supposed to feel that way about their brother’s girl. Not unless they expected a noogie or a wedgie.

Adam sat down on a chair beside the counter. He felt the puffy cushion exhale underneath him as he sat down. He propped his elbows on the counter and rested his head on his hands.

Tired. Very tired. Too much work, definitely. Then again, it may be the only thing keeping him sane. He rarely did anything with the group any more outside of school and work. He mostly hung out with Liz and Maria. He worked with both of them, and Maria was just really fun. She doesn’t take crap from anyone and can make a person grin from her witty comments. And Liz? Well, Liz is just Liz. Charming, intelligent, funny and beautiful, all rolled into one wonderful package.

When Liz first asked him to continue training her, he wanted to refuse. One on one with that exquisite creature? But soon those sessions became vital to his life. Like breathing, like air, like water. He didn’t even want to know what would happen he could never be near her again. If he couldn’t breathe in her luscious scent or gaze into her chocolate eyes, desperately drowning.

On the other hand, he didn’t want to know what Max would do without her. Max was still on his MUST-PROTECT-LIZ-FROM-EVERYONE rampage. Messing with Liz could create a mucho dangerous situation. Then again, Liz didn’t seem to mind it either. This was one of the reasons Adam hated to attend the Pod Squad summits (as he and Maria so affectionately called them). Max and Liz would have theirs hands all over each other. For that matter, Iz and Alex, Michael and Maria were usually going at it too. He felt like such a seventh wheel. But the only hands he wanted on his body were taken.

Sometimes Adam missed home. Roswell is not home. Some far-off planet with a crazy past life is definitely not his home. Home was his human parents. Home was his faithful golden retriever, Missy. Home was friends who had known him since elementary. Home was a normal boy, minus the foretelling dreams; minus the secret keeping.

It was weird. These past two years, when they all were lying low, waiting for their possibly horrific doom, Adam hadn’t felt more normal since…well, since home. Having friends like Maria, Alex, Michael, Max, Isabel and Liz, or cramming all night for a Physics final. That was normal.

But home, home was not this. He missed coming home from school and smelling the freshly baked Tabasco and peanut butter cookies his mother would make just for him. Or his father asking him about his day during dinner. Even just reading a book in front of the fireplace with his parents (ok, a little geeky… but he was just big of family stuff!).

He had some really awesome friends too. Ben Fisher, his best friend, was the funniest guy. He was quirky and spontaneous like Maria, but sarcastic and easygoing like Alex. Ben was a totally laidback, mellow guy who loved live. Adam remembered the days of just sitting by the nearby lake and checking out Melissa Schumaker’s new two-piece. Back in those days, not long before he left, Adam was quite the catch. Girls adored him and practically threw themselves at him. Then again, Liz and Maria always tell him girls love him here in Roswell too.

But on those adventures to the lake, Ben and Adam were never alone. The other best friend, Owen MacDonald, would tag along, completing their trio. Shy, quiet and mastermind Own MacDonald. From their mischievous, trouble-making childhood to their even more trouble-making teenage years, the three were constantly together. Though, every once in awhile, Sandy, Ben’s younger sister, would join them, much to Ben’s protest against it. Adam didn’t mind. It actually thought it was sort of adorable the way she made lovey-dovey eyes at him.

Maybe he should call Ben or sometime. He never got to say goodbye. To them, to his parents, to his life.

But it’s better this way, Adam told himself. Mom and Dad died because of who I am. Khivar, Tess and their army of bandits had set Adam’s house on fire, seeming to the outside world as only an accident. Adam knew better. Khivar had found him, so Adam had to leave, before more people died. Adam had to find and resurrect the Royal Court, or the Pod Squad as Maria called them. He’d be damned if he let anything happen to anyone. Ben, Sandy, Owen, Liz… no way.

“Hey space fiend,” Maria greeted Adam as she sat down beside him. He offered a smile.

“So whatcha thinkin’ ‘bout?”

“Stuff,” Adam answered shortly. “Where’s the gang? You guys just get here?”

“Oh, we got here probably about ten minutes ago. The rest of the space crew are in the kitchen, no doubt. I saw your lonely alien ass out here and thought I’d come and see what’s up in the alien abyss.” Maria grinned at her joke, but quickly defused the grin.

“My dear, what troubles you? Is it a certain extra-terrestrial Queen troubling you?” Adam dropped his head on to the counter with a loud thud. “I’ll take that as a yes.” Pause. “Adam.”

“What?” Adam asked, cranky.

“I found you a date.”

“Oh, great, I’m oh-so excited.” Sarcasm, great.

“Uh huh, she was really excited when I talked to her. She’s really friendly and pretty. I bet Sherri is wonderful in-”

“Sherri? Sherri Winters?”

“Uh huh. Not bad, huh? I know all the guys want her. Probably because of her, uh, sizeable bust. But to tell you the truth, I think she’s wanted you for some time…”

“No. Maria, no. She hangs all over me during class. She acts like a total spin case. And those high pitch giggles could make anyone want to claw their eyes out.”

“She’s nice and actually really friendly. Trust me. So tomorrow night, you and her at Senor Chow’s.”

“Thanks for asking, Maria.”

“Yeah, no, problem.” This bantering was getting to be too easy for Maria.

“Good evening my worthy friends,” Alex chirped as he and Isabel strolled out into the dining room. “Food is on its way. We called pizza.”

“I think I’m going to head out. Tired.” Adam stretched and faked a yawn.

“No, you can’t go,” Liz said as she, Michael and Max walked into the dining room as well. “You got to stay for pizza! I got the new Barenaked Ladies CD the other day and I’m forcing everyone to listen to it.” Liz flashed an excited smile, as she leaned against Max’s arm. Adam wanted to close his eyes. He was NOT going to lose it here. Not in Liz’s smile or her nonchalant act of touching Max in the most common way.

“Oh, right. I’ll, uh, go grab some plates then.” Adam scurried to the back room, leaving before anyone could say anything.

Adam walked into the kitchen, heading over to the stack of clean dishes he had personally washed not too long ago. He picked up seven of the sparkling plates that were sitting on one of the counters. He had washed those dishes just a bit before Liz walked in. Ahh, Liz…

Stop it. No more.

Adam grabbed some forks with the plates. He began to walk out the door when the phone on the wall caught his eye. He should call Ben. It was going to be Ben’s birthday in a few days. His 18th birthday. Adam should be there with him, celebrating with him. Adam should be taking Ben out on the town, or causing some trouble, or something.

He should at least call him.

Grow up. Adam, you left all that behind you. Ben probably doesn’t even want to talk to you. If your best friend left without a good bye and never even called, you’d be pretty pissed off.

But it’s his birthday.

Which means the anniversary of your parent’s death is coming up too. You don’t really want to bring all that back up, do you? Adam stared heavily at the phone, not sure if he wanted to pick up the receiver and dial or if he wanted to pull that thing right off the wall and stomp on it until the little wires were poking out like thorns.

“It’s ok to remember. Sometimes it helps, especially if it’s all you have.” Adam turned towards Liz’s voice, finding her looking worriedly at him. Beautiful, concerned Liz.

“Liz,” Adam whispered. Wait, what was she talking about? Uh oh. She read his mind. Shit. If she dug far enough, she’d know about his feelings for her. Crap, crap, crap.

Watching the uneasy emotions springing on Adam’s face, Liz spoke up.

“I didn’t mean to hear your thoughts. I just felt these strong emotions coming from here. I wanted to make sure you were all right. I didn’t look into your mind, I promise. I just heard the last few thoughts and I pulled out. I’m sorry.” Liz nervously clasped her hands together. Adam instantly smiled. She thought he was angry. He could never be angry with her.

“It’s all right. Don’t worry about it, Liz. I don’t have anything to hide.” Hah, when did you become a liar, Adam?

Adam began to walk out of the kitchen but Liz’ voice stopped him.

“What I said is true. It’s ok to remember. You should call him, whoever he is. Just from your emotions, I could tell he’s important to you.” Adam stared straight ahead of him, indicating no change in emotions. Except he was experiencing a turmoil inside of him. He could feel the knife twisting his heart with no pity whatsoever. The knife he put there himself. He had to remind himself of that. He put that knife there so he had to live with it.

“I’m sorry, I overstepped my boundaries. I won’t say anything.” Liz turned to leave, but this time, Adam stopped her by gently grasping her arm.

“You’re right, he was important to me. But life is here now. Everything in the past… it just has to be forgotten.”

“No, Adam, it doesn’t have to be. Don’t walk away from your past, embrace it.” Liz moved closer to Adam, and put comforting hands on his quivering shoulders. She gazed caringly into his eyes, pouring warmth and strength into his body.

“I hope you know, Adam, that no matter where you are, no matter what your past is, you have a family, a home. Here, with all of us.” She enveloped Adam into a hug, and rubbed his back reassuringly. Everyone needed a friend at some point or another, and Liz planned on being that friend for Adam. He’d be one for her for two years.

“Sometimes it hurts. A lot.” Adam closed his eyes. He just confessed something to Liz that he could barely confess to himself. What was it about her that could make him turn to a puddle and just want to curl up in her arms?

“What hurts, Adam?” Liz asked softly, intently. She still kept him close to her, sending him waves of encouragement and understanding.

“Remembering, ending up here. I caused a lot of pain and suffering back there.” Adam sighed in frustration, attempting to blink back a fresh array of tears. He hadn’t cried in years. Not even when he realized the house and life he lived, the life his parents lived, were all over because of him.

“I miss it…” Liz barely heard Adam’s last few words, as he had whispered them quietly.

“Adam, ease up. I can feel the guilt and self-loathing rolling off of you. Everything’s going to be okay. We’re all here for you. I’m here for you.” Liz raised her hand to his hair, petting it lightly. Adam couldn’t even describe how comforting her touch made him.

“Thank you, Liz.” Adam nuzzled his face into her shoulder, finding solace in just being in the presence of her.

“For what?”

“For being here for me, without asking a million questions. For just understanding me without strings attached. I know I own you some explanations-”

“No, Adam, you don’t owe me anything. Just know I’ll be here if and when you want to talk, ok?” Adam nodded mutely, and hugged her closer. To live in these arms for even just the briefest moment would make Adam die a happy man. What did he do to receive such loyalty and such compassion from this remarkable young woman?

Liz smiled sadly at Adam. She could tell he was battling some nasty demons inside of him. But how long has he been fighting them? Was it a losing battle? It’s so disheartening to see such a wonderful person as Adam to have to experience all this. He simply did not deserve it. She’d be here for him, definitely. Friend to friend.

“Ahem.” Adam and Liz turned to see a disgruntled Max standing in the doorway, shooting fatal alien eye-rays at Adam.

“Everything ok in here?” Max asked pointedly, staring at Adam. Adam definitely did not like the way Max was glowering him. So just to piss him off, Adam hugged Liz closer to him. Okay, stupid move, but he wasn’t going to let Mighty King Max scare him. He had already had it with infuriating people today.

Max could feel the steam pouring out of his ears by the gallons. Adam had his hand on MAX’S Liz. He knew Adam was just trying to aggravate him, but damn, Adam was doing a good job. And if Adam didn’t take his filthy hands off Liz soon, the boy would soon suffer a punishment worse than death. Protector or not, Adam was not very far from Max ripping his head off.

“Max, honey, Adam and I were just talking,” Liz said coolly, attempting to keep some sort of peace. She slipped out of Adam’s arms and walked over to Max. She needed to diffuse this situation before it got really hideous. The surge of disgust between the two males was enough to make Liz want to retreat under a rock and not come out until safe.

The moment Liz reached Max’s side he captured her in his arms and pulled Liz close to him. His protective arms that were slung tightly against her body gave Adam the message loud and clear. Liz was Max’s and that was that.

“Uh, I better go back out into there, Maria and Alex are probably wondering where I am. You guys coming?” Liz wanted all of them back out in the dining room as quickly as possible. That way the chance of an alien smackdown was a little less likely. Certainly not impossible, but slimmer chances.

“We’ll be right out, Liz,” Max said tightly, his eyes still fixed with Adam’s. Adam, being the male that he is, did not back down but rather took an angry step towards Max. He wanted a fight? Fine. The poor excuse for a king would get one.

“BOYS. DINING ROOM. NOW.” Liz’s booming voice echoed violently against the kitchen walls. The force of her voice was enough to break the glaring contest. Liz suddenly found two pairs of eyes on her, questioning where the strength of her yell came from. Yet noticing her angry posture, they didn’t push it.

“I’m just going to go, Liz. You guys have a nice night,” Adam replied calmly and steadily, as he strolled past Max and Liz. He grabbed his jacket from his locker, and walked out the backdoor, effectively slamming it loudly. Liz sighed heavily, putting her hand to her forehead.

“Liz, I-” Max started, turning to her as he was about to apologize.

“Max, I don’t want to hear it. I’m hungry and tired and I just want some food. Forget it, all right?” Max nodded silently and walked back out into the dining room with her.

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.