FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Stitch in Time - Revised"
Part 33
by Lynda
Disclaimer: Dear Ms. Metz and Mr. Katims, can Max and the others come to my house to play? I'll try to have them back in time for dinner. Thanks, loon.
Summary: AU Fic. No spoilers. Max had thought just being an alien would fulfil the 'weirdness quotient' for his whole life, but now he had to cope with the concept of aliens from the future. And not just 'good' aliens from the future. There was a whole organization of 'bad' aliens from the future and he, Isabel and Michael had been recruited to help stop them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to Addison, my first fan.
After Max and Dave had cleaned up from their workout they returned to Dave's cabin. It was almost time to contact Isabel again. The exercise had refreshed them more than a nap could have. Maybe Dave had vanquished some of those demons he was fighting when Max first saw him. And although Max was sore in new places, he felt more at ease.

They connected smoothly and entered the dream plane. Max let Dave take charge of this, it was good experience for him. When all of this was settled and they had Liz back safely Max thought it would be fun to teach Dave more about his powers. He was a great kid.

Isabel was nowhere in sight and she didn't come when they called. Max tried not to show his worry, but Dave picked up on it anyway. "Max, I have a 'feeling' that she's okay, she just can't get to us right now."

Smiling affectionately at him Max nodded. "Let's see if we can reach your mother. Her dream orb is hovering right over there." They called it over and it floated between them. "Let's try something different, Dave. Stand opposite of me with the orb between us." Dave moved like he asked. "Dave, can you see auras?" He nodded yes. "Okay. What we're going to do is project our feelings and enclose her orb in our joined auras."

"And what feelings are you talking about, Max?" Dave tried to keep the mischief out of his expression but was not totally successful. He really approved of this man who loved his mother but he couldn't help teasing him.

Max was more successful in keeping his face impassive but his eyes gave away his amusement. "I don't know about you, but I'm trying love and security."

"Yeah, sounds about right. Let's be about it, then." They poured out their feelings and their auras glowed blindingly with the strength of their love. The dark mist in Liz's orb lightened but they still could not get any sense that she was any more un-lost than before. "She feels better, more safe. But she's still lost in the mist." Dave gave a ragged sigh.

"Dave, we may have to face the fact that we won't be able to help her until we have rescued her from Pokran. Once we have her physically with us things will be better."

Leaning forward, Dave planted a kiss on the orb and whispered, "Hang on, Mom. We're coming." Then he straightened up and with one more sad look at the orb, left the dream plane.

Max gathered Liz's orb close and concentrated on transferring as much energy into it as he could. Maybe she needed some of his strength. When he was finished, he also gave it a kiss and released it.

When Max returned to Dave's cabin he stayed stretched out on the floor, his mind occupied with memories of Liz. He hadn't known her for that long but she was definitely entrenched in his heart. Max concentrated on that place inside where their love glowed strongly. He knew that as long as it was there, she was still alive. Max shuddered and refused to even think about losing the love of his life, his mate, when he had just found her.

"Uh, Max?" Dave hesitantly spoke up. "Are you alright?"

"Sure, Dave. I was just thinking." Max got to his feet and stretched. "How about getting some dinner?"

Gregory was already in the dining room and he motioned them to join him. All through dinner Dave entertained them with stories of Liz. Max knew it did him as much good as it did Dave. They both loved to talk about her and Max shared some of the lighter moments he'd had with her. Max didn't mention her grief at his 'death'; Dave didn't need to hear about that. He knew his mother loved him and he'd felt that grief when they shared dreams.

Captain Franklin approached them as they sat talking after dinner. "Do you have time to join us, Captain?" Max asked courteously. He had been making his regular reports to Gregory and he wanted to become better acquainted with the man who might be making difficult decisions that would effect people he loved.

"At a later date it would be my pleasure, Mr. Evans. I'm on my way to a meeting and saw you in here. I have some good news for a change. The engineers have informed me that we will arrive within transport range of the generation ship at approximately 10:30 tonight. Please pass that news on to Ms. Evans and Mr. Guerin. Gregory will be in touch with you to give you further details." Then he stood up and took his leave.

Max also stood up. "Gregory, it was a pleasure talking to you. I think it would be wise if we got some rest before we contact Isabel at 9:00. Ready to go, Dave?" They bid Gregory good bye and went back to Dave's cabin.

At Max's insistence Dave had been 'encouraged' to sleep again. He needed to conserve his energy and the time would pass faster for him. Max wished he could join Dave in sleep, but so far it had eluded him. He had given up and left the cabin to take a walk around the ship when he met Gregory in the corridor.

Gregory briefed him on the raid they were planning to make as soon as they were within transport range of the generation ship. They wanted to coordinate it with raids made by the Al'Centrans Michael and Isabel had contacted. He gave Max the briefing paper and asked him to pass the information along. Gregory continued on and Max stood there and re-read the paper. So much was going to depend on luck and timing.

Max put the paper in his pocket and walked the corridors until it was time to contact Isabel. When he got back to Dave's cabin he found him awake and ready. Letting Dave control the connection and transition to the dream plane again, Max concentrated on the details of the raid. He wanted to be sure it was as foolproof as possible.

To his great relief, Isabel was waiting for them. She flew into his arms and almost strangled him with a hug. "I guess you're glad to see us, Izzy. We missed you last time."

"Sorry, Max. I was busy getting the other captives ready. We want to be prepared to move at any moment. Oh, I'll be so glad to have this all over!" She looked over at Dave who was looking around for Liz's orb. "Hey, Dave."

Somewhat distracted, Dave answered, "Hey, Isabel." His attention was obviously occupied with his search.

Max 'pathed an image of the plans for the raid and asked her to communicate with the generation ship's Al'Centrans and instruct them in their part. "Iz, can you tell me where Pokran's quarters are? Is he still keeping Liz there? Are there guards or other things we need to know about?"

Isabel answered his questions as thoroughly as possible, surreptitiously watching Dave as she talked. She was concerned at how distressed his aura was becoming. **Max, something's upsetting Dave.**

They both turned to look at Dave and he burst out, "Max! Isabel! I can't find her dream orb and I can't sense her anymore! I'm afraid she's… " He didn't continue with his sentence. If he said the words they would seem more real and he did not want them to be reality.

Part 32 | Index | Part 34
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.