FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Stitch in Time - Revised"
Part 42
by Lynda
Disclaimer: Dear Ms. Metz and Mr. Katims, can Max and the others come to my house to play? I'll try to have them back in time for dinner. Thanks, loon.
Summary: AU Fic. No spoilers. Max had thought just being an alien would fulfil the 'weirdness quotient' for his whole life, but now he had to cope with the concept of aliens from the future. And not just 'good' aliens from the future. There was a whole organization of 'bad' aliens from the future and he, Isabel and Michael had been recruited to help stop them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to Addison, my first fan.
Five very happy people were gathered around the hangar, waiting for the pilot who would be taking them back to earth. The cloaking device would keep the ship concealed from radar or human eye so there wouldn't be a worry about UFO reports or (gasp) military intervention.

Michael and Isabel had very satisfactory visits to certain dream orbs the night before and were not waiting very patiently. In fact, they were in the middle of a just-for-fun argument about who would be the first out the door when the ship landed. Max watched with affection, a happy grin on his face.

**Dave, are you doing okay? You've been isolated for so long and now you're in the middle of a very lively bunch of relative strangers.** Liz was just where she wanted to be: Max on one side and Dave on the other. Max had explained about her 'happy' aura and she was trying without much success to tone it down.

**Uh, Mom, you're the one with people problems. Remember me? Your rabidly social son?** Dave leaned over and pressed his cheek to Liz's. **Thanks for looking out for me anyway.**

The pilot appeared, ushered them into the ship and saw that they were all strapped in. He grinned to himself at their irrepressibly happy expressions. The trip didn't take long and soon they were there. Max had pinpointed their landing location for him earlier and he competently set the ship down directly in front of Liz's house.

Michael and Isabel rapidly undid their seatbelts and dashed for the door. Laughing and pushing, they managed to exit at the same time. Max, Liz and Dave paused to thank the pilot and walked toward the exit. Liz wasn't about to let go of either of her guys' hands so they had their own laugh at the awkward way they got through the doorway.

They could hear Maria screaming with delight before they reached the ground. They arrived at the foot of the ramp to find four ecstatic people greeting each other. Max herded them toward the porch to give the pilot room to take off.

Dave was the only one who actually watched the ship take off. The way it gradually faded from view as the cloaking device activated fascinated him. And the engine of the ship was totally silent, further sparking his curiosity. His subconscious immediately began working on ways to re-create this marvelous technology. Lost in thought, he didn't hear Max speaking to him. Liz gave a little tug on his hand (which she still had not released) to get his attention.

"Dave, if I can get their attention, I'd like to introduce you to two more of our friends." He was looking with amused affection at the antics of the reunited couples. He doubted they even realized the ship had taken off, they were so wrapped up in each other.

Maria looked up at this point. Her dream last night had prepared her for Michael's arrival, but who was the young man Liz was holding onto like she'd never let go? Max could tell when it hit her. She didn't know what to do first. Scream, run hug Liz, run hug Dave, keep hugging Michael. Too many decisions for her overloaded mind to make. So she did the only thing she could: she tried to do them all at once and was remarkably successful, although Michael claimed he suffered hearing loss in the ear she screamed into.

Eventually Dave was properly introduced and they had all found seats in the living room. There was much laughter and talking as they brought everyone up to date on what had been happening. Maria and Alex were happily surprised at the news of Max and Liz's marriage and Maria was even happier when she realized that they'd have to do it all over again and she'd get to help with this one.

Liz was reluctant to bring up the news of her heritage and newly fertile status. It was all too new and she wasn't ready to talk to their friends about it. **Thanks for understanding, Max.** She sent him a kiss and then settled back in his arms. There would be time enough later to talk about all that. She wanted to enjoy the festive mood of their friends.

Eventually there was a lull in the conversations and Maria gave Michael a significant look. Clearing his throat, he stood up and prepared to make their big announcement. Maria knew part of it, but not the part that he was adding. "Um, well, I guess you need to know this, guys." He looked back at Maria, trying to keep his expression blank. Looking over at Dave he thought, \\Oops, better clean this up.\\ Clearing his throat again, he began a totally different announcement than he had started to give.

Letting his joy clearly show on his face he said proudly, "I'm gonna be a daddy!" He reached out a hand to draw Maria to her feet. Turning her to face him he looked down at her dear face. "And I'd really like to be a husband, too. Maria?" Shocked by the second part of Michael's announcement, Maria could only squeal and hug her spaceboy.

After everyone had exchanged hugs and congratulations, they settled back down and the conversation turned to the new baby. "I hope she doesn't get Michael's hair," Alex teased with a shudder.

"Or his tendency to blow things up…" added Isabel. A sudden thought struck her. "God, what are we going to do if she does inherit Michael's powers? How will she ever grow up without having to keep so much of herself secret?" She didn't mean to bring the mood down, but she remembered how isolated she had been until she'd let Maria and Alex into her heart.

Alex accurately read her mood and drew her closer under his arm. He knew this was why she hadn’t wanted to start their family. Hiding a melancholy sigh, he kissed her cheek to show he understood.

Liz watched her friends face the reality of keeping secret their Czechoslovakian heritage without stunting their children's growth and development. **Max, have you noticed how much land there is on the other side of the lake?**

**Pardon?** He had no idea where she was going with this.

**It seems to me that there is room enough for two or three houses there and still not be crowded. Lots of privacy, controlled access, great neighbors already established…**

It came to Max in a flash of happiness and pride what she was asking. Totally speechless, Max pulled her into his lap and hugged her tightly. **Love you, Liz!**

Their friends looked on, mystified. Max recovered enough to formulate words and he relayed Liz's proposal to them. Maria rushed over and wrapped her arms around Liz and Max, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She drew back and grinned happily at Liz, "We're going to be neighbors!"

"Neighbors with a built-in baby sitter," Dave added, grinning back at Maria to show he was all for the idea. He loved kids and hoped to have a whole passel of them himself. His mother may not have known it but she had solved a problem Dave had worried about since his relationship with Julie had gotten serious. Not that they were going to have kids any time soon, but he definitely wanted Julie to be the mother of his kids.

Liz was gratified with their reaction and happy that her friends would be close to her. Roswell was too far away. Looking down at her grinning son where he sat at her feet, she knew he approved. She reached out her hand to him and squeezed his larger hand with her small one. Liz hoped that she and Max would soon have news their own to share. Wonder how Dave would like being a big brother?

Isabel seemed the most affected by Liz's offer. She sat in silence, happy tears streaking her face as she realized that there was no longer any reason for her not to start having the children she and Alex wanted so desperately. Alex hugged her to his chest and let her hide her face against his neck.

Alex looked over at Max and Liz. "Thanks." This simple word was not adequate to express the feelings overflowing his heart at this moment, but it was the best he could do. Max's proud look and Liz's welcoming smile let him know they understood.

The rest of the day passed happily and soon it was late afternoon. Liz happily cooked dinner with Max and Dave's help. Dave put in the extensions for the table and Max brought the extra chairs up from the basement. The dining room was crowded, but pleasantly so. And yes, they had a nice normal dinner, with nice normal conversation.

=====

Michael, Maria, Isabel and Alex left the next morning right after breakfast and headed for Roswell. They'd be back as soon as they made arrangements for the sale of their houses.

Michael and Maria were in the biggest rush. They wanted to get their new house completed before winter set in. Alex and Isabel planned stay in Roswell and oversee the sale of the two homes before they came back to start their house.

Walking out to the porch, Liz found Dave rocking, a serious look on his face. She took a seat in the other rocker and silently held out her hand for his. Physical contact with her son was a comfort she had been denied for too long. They rocked together for a while, happy just to be together.

Liz looked at her son and was amazed at how much he'd grown while he'd been 'gone'. He was a man now. His eighteenth birthday had passed that week and too much had been going on for even his mother to remember the day. She'd make it up to him, though. She was already planning the menu to include all of his favorite foods.

They kept each other company in silence for a while and she knew with a mother's instinct that he was troubled by something near to his heart. Correctly guessing the subject of his thoughts, Liz stood up, reached into her pocket and drew out the jeep keys. She handed them to Dave. "Julie hasn't left for her semester abroad. She put it off until next year. Want to go surprise her?"

"Mom!" Dave wrapped her in a big hug and swung her around. "You're my favorite mom, you know that, don't you?" Dave started for the jeep then stopped and turned around, a concerned look replacing the extreme happiness of a moment before. "What will I tell her? She knows me too well for me to get away with a lie."

"Tell her the truth, then. Just not all of it. You were kidnapped and held against your will. You were saved and now you're back home and you don't want to talk about it." Liz walked up and ruffled Dave's hair. "I can tell you from personal experience that just having you back is going to be good enough." Dave gave her another happy hug and ran for the jeep.

Max came up behind Liz, wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her head. They watched Dave drive down the road together. The house was suddenly empty of the happy crowd of friends and family. "Want to go say 'hello' to the lake, Max?"

"Actually, no." Max took Liz by the hand and led her toward the door. "I'd rather go say 'hello' to the bed…"

THE END

Part 41 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.