FanFic - Max/Liz
"Acting Alien"
Part 1
by Carol
Disclaimer: No one in the WORLD would take ownership of this one but me! The characters aren't mine, though. Life's a bitch.
Summary: A teen sci-fi show's director is unhappy with the chemistry (or lack thereof) and believability of his characters. He gets permission to take them to Roswell for a bit of atmosphere and a reality check. (You may notice some similarities between these characters' names and those of our beloved cast and creative team.)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Acknowledgment: The premise for this story is really based on a fic idea from Jane of my Roswellnet list. She has not only allowed me to use the idea, but to warp it just a bit for our purposes. Thanks, Jane! Caution: Most of you who read my fics are used to some serious plot, character development, etc. Quit looking. This is a fluff piece I wrote over the holidays. The readers at Jenn's board VOTED on what would happen at the end of each installment from 3 choices I gave them. They dictated the direction and emphasis. (I've kept the choices they had to choose from in here, so you could see what they DIDN'T choose!) So don't think too hard! Just sit back and enjoy! Here's what I told them to begin: Setting: We want everyone getting along in this one, so let's say it's just after "Sexual Healing"
"Cut!" yelled the director with frustration. "Mason, you've just told your leading lady you love her. She doesn't even know you're an alien yet! Don't you think you should look like you're in love? Like you're scared? You look . . . bored!"

"I am bored," muttered Mason Blair, star of a struggling alien-based television series. "Look, this is just not believable stuff. Real kids don't sit around in diners serving Mercury Melts and Martian Malts while helping aliens avoid the authorities. And they don't moon over each other, either. If they like each other, they just get it on!"

His costar, Cheryl Appleton, rolled her eyes, annoyed at yet another shallow rant from her disinterested leading man. "Mason! You have to get your head into the character. Haven't you ever heard of "suspension of disbelief"? Haven't you ever been in love? The fans are watching because they can buy into this. Why can't you?"

Mason threw himself into a chair.

"Take 10, everybody!" yelled the director. He began to rub his temples. "Kim! Get me an aspirin."

***************

"Jonathan, I don't know what to do. We've got a really talented cast, but they're just not getting what I'm after here. I need wholesome, I need small-town values. I need teen giddiness. I don't know where these kids grew up, but sometimes I wonder if they ever were teens."

Writer/Director Jamison Katsin was sprawled on the couch in his producer's office, spewing a stream of random thoughts and worries and ideas. Jonathan Drake, a veteran of science fiction television and movies, was unperturbed. And for good reason. He was used to this; it helped Jamison think, and he was a brilliant writer. But there was another reason Jonathan could sit patiently with a smug look on his face. He had a plan.

****************

"Listen up!" Jamison walked excitedly onto the set, only to find several cast and crew members falling over laughing at the antics of one of the show's secondary characters, played by Rick Wesler. It was Halloween, and he was doing a stirring rendition of "Monster Mash"--complete with choreography.

"May I have your attention!" Jamison called again, gratified to see that all of the younger actors had been drawn to Rick's ad lib performance. This time he was at least acknowledged, and the makeshift audience turned toward him. "Good news, folks. We're going on a field trip!"

Blank stares greeted his confusing announcement.

"We've come up with the perfect way to get some peripheral shooting done and let you steep in the atmosphere of a small-town haven for aliens. Pack your bags for Roswell, New Mexico! We leave tomorrow."

He turned on his heel with a pleased smile on his face. In his mind's eye, he surveyed the array of stunned faces that were still trying to process his words. A picture is worth a thousand words, he thought.

***************

Max and Liz were nestled into a booth at the Crashdown, barely able to keep their hands off each other. Liz turned to gaze at Max, and found herself lifting her mouth to find his once again. That seemed to happen every time she looked at him, but when she saw that look in his eye, there were no options.

"Get a room," mumbled Michael as he and Isabel slid into the seat across the table. "Max, loan me five bucks. I'm starved and I don't get paid 'til Friday."

"Don't worry about it, Michael," Liz said. "Just get something to eat and we'll . . . ."

" Guys!!!" Maria and Alex burst into the restaurant and flew toward the table where their friends were seated. "We have the most incredible news!" Maria paused to catch her breath and Alex quickly stepped in.

"Guess who's coming to town? To Roswell?" He gave them no time to respond. "The cast of 'UFO Undercover'!"

A smirk crept over Michael's face. "Have you seen that show, Alex?"

"You don't watch it?" asked Alex. "It's pretty cool, really. These aliens have come to Earth on a secret mission using their cloaked ship as a base and power source. They make friends with humans who don't even know about them yet. There was this one episode . . . ." His voice trailed off as he met face after amused face. Maria jumped to his defense.

"Come on, you guys. This isn't about the show, it's about celebrities coming to Roswell! Liz, maybe they'll come eat at the Crashdown! Promise me, whichever one of us gets to serve them gets autographs for both, okay?"

Liz laughed at her best friend. "I don't think celebrities come to places like the Crashdown, Maria. They'll probably eat at Chez Pierre's every night. Why are they coming here anyway?"

"Something about doing some outside shooting and using the ambience of Roswell to add flavor to the show. I don't know. Who cares? Sounds like fun to me! Maybe we can watch them shoot some scenes!"

Michael stood and turned to face Maria, grasping her shoulders. "This alien will starve if he doesn't eat. Let's try and drum up a little enthusiasm about that." And he steered her toward the kitchen.

NOTE: I can't seem to find the 3 choices readers had here, but two are mentioned and used in this note I wrote at the beginning of part 2. At this point, readers voted to have Maria and Alex be extras, but there were also lots of votes for the kids to host the actors. That plays in toward the end.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.