FanFic - Max/Liz
"Always With You - Part Two"
Part 16
by Watcher Tara
Disclaimer: I do not own any part of Roswell.
Summary: This takes place two weeks after Always With You. Tess's allies have come to town looking for her, and Kyle is back from basketball camp with issues of his own. Also evil wears a familiar face as dead bodies start popping up in Roswell.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: You REALLY should read Always With You first, but if you haven't, here's what you've missed: Tess was evil and not the fourth alien, the gang killed her and Liz discovered she has powers, too. I hope you like part two. Please, please e-mail me with your thoughts.
And so it was over. The sheriff promised to take care of destroying the alien's body as Max and the others were leaving.

At the door, Sheriff Valenti said, softly, "Max." Max turned and saw that the sheriff was holding out his hand. They looked at each other for a long moment, each realizing how far they'd come to trusting one another. It seemed like a lifetime ago that they feared and mistrusted each other. Max slowly put his hand into his. As they shook hands, Valenti said, "Thank you." There was a world of interpretations in that one simple sentence.

Thank you for being here to protect us. Thank you for saving my son. Thank you for forgiving me my blindness and ignorance. Thank you for sharing with me your secrets. Thank you for trusting me. Thank you for... everything.

Max correctly interpreted what he was trying to say, and said in return, "No, thank you." He turned and climbed into the jeep with Michael and Isabel. For a moment they looked at the man standing on the porch, the starlight glinting off the badge pinned to his chest. Then turning on the motor, they back out of the driveway and headed back to the motel and the three humans that were waiting for them. When they opened the door, Liz ran straight to Max and threw her arms around him. "Are you ok?"

He was overjoyed to see her awake and restored. He held her tightly and said, "I am, now." The others sensed this was going to get personal and filed out.

He picked her up and carried her over to the sofa where he sat down with her in his lap. They shared a long, endless kiss that was solemn with the trauma of the past couple of days. After it ended, they remained forehead to forehead and they gazed deep into each other's eyes, speaking again in that non-verbal language that was all theirs.

"Liz, about this afternoon," Max began.

"It's over." She looked a little guiltily at where the shield was laying. After she had woken up, Liz had wrapped the thing up and put it on the dresser out of the way. "I'm sorry I tried use your Shield by myself. I just couldn't let Nasedo hurt Maria or Alex."

"Or you," Max whispered.

She nodded.

"Liz, I am so sorry about Nasedo."

"No," she cut him off. "It was my fault. He saw me using my powers in the CrashDown today and assumed I was one of the other aliens. You were right about me using them so much in public. I swear to you it will never happen again."

Dismissing her apology, he told her, "It's just, when I think how I could have lost you today, and it would have been my fault."

"Max, no. Your fault?" She asked him, confused.

"Yeah. If it weren't for me you wouldn't have those powers to begin with."

"I'm glad you gave them to me, whether you meant to or not. Max, having these powers, you know, aside from being able to help you guys, makes me feel like we really are meant to be together. Like I'm a part of you."

He looked deep into her eyes and said, "You are a part of me... You always have been, even before the powers. I can feel every breath you take. I can feel what you're feeling, and then I'm feeling that way, too. What we share is... I don't know..." He looked down, and unable to help himself returned his gaze to hers as he finished, "I think that if anything were to happen to you... if you died... then I would die, too."

Liz melted at the look in Max's eyes. Tears stung her own eyes in reaction. She saw there a world of love and devotion... "Max..." She buried her fingers in his hair, and kissed him with all the emotion in her aching heart. "Nothing will happen to me, not with you looking out for me. I will always be here with you."

His breath caught as his fingers stroked her face and her silky hair. In his mind he could still hear that ghostly voice whispering to him, "I am always with you," the day he buried the remains of his wife out by the cliffs. He still didn't know what it meant, but he'd been thinking that maybe her soul was watching over him like a guardian angel.

Maybe she had formed some sort of a connection with Liz and through her was helping them. That would explain so many things: her powers being so similar to his wife's, the way he was drawn to her time and again, the Shield accepting her when it shouldn't have.

Whatever the real answer was, Max was certain of only one thing and that was that he and Liz were joined in a way that defied explanation.

He gathered her closer to him and twisted around so that she was laying on her back on the sofa, and he came down on top of her. Just like at Michael's apartment on the night they found the orb, they were both being ruled by love and instinct as they fought to be as close to each other as their clothing would allow. Passion overtook them both, and their kisses burned hot into the next hour or two.

Michael and Maria went outside, and sat in the jeep. They sat in silence for a few minutes, just happy to be in the other's presence, knowing that they were safe for the time being. Not really one for conversation in any situation, Michael wasn't sure how to begin what he had to say. Finally, he turned to look at her, and said, "I've been thinking."

'Oh no,' she thought, 'here we go again.' Aloud she said, "Really? About what?"

"About you and me... and Isabel."

Maria's heart stopped. She was afraid she knew what was coming. He was going to tell her that he decided to be with Isabel. His destiny. She didn't know if she could bear to hear it.

Unaware of what she was thinking, he continued, "...and about what you said that day about me needing you." Taking a breath, he said, "You were right. I do need you. Now more than ever, just like you said."

Amazed, she stared at him. For the third time in her life, she was speechless. It wasn't surprising that all three times had been because of him. "What?" she finally managed to get out.

"I finally figured out that you belong with me as much as Liz belongs with Max."

Was she dreaming? She'd had this conversation in her mind a hundred times. She was suddenly afraid it was a cruel joke. "W... what about Isabel?" she whispered, almost afraid to ask.

"That's complicated." He wasn't sure he could put into words what Isabel meant to him. "A part of me is drawn to her, will always be drawn to her, but in my mind she's like a sister to me."

Maria looked away from him, suddenly filled with pain. He put his fingers under her chin and forced her to meet his eyes. "As long as I have a choice, I'm gonna choose you." He reached over and caressed her face. "I love you."

Maria had been waiting to hear those words from him for an eternity. She felt as if she were floating on a cloud as she whispered back, "I love you, too."

He hugged her tightly against him, and kissed her hair, her cheeks, her lips. After years of searching, Michael Guerin had finally found his home. It wasn't among the stars as he'd always thought. It was right here, on Earth, in Roswell, in the arms of this one human who completed him and filled in the empty places in his soul. Who would have believed it?

Alex and Isabel walked hand in hand to the elementary school playground where they sat on the swings quietly talking and watching the stars come out one by one. They made plans to retrieve his car, which was still parked at the reservation.

A long, comfortable silence fell. They were just glad to be with one another and when they were walking back to the motel Alex slipped his arm around her, she was grateful to lay her head on his shoulder. "So, I was thinking," he told her. "How about tomorrow, you come over to my house and I'll cook dinner for you."

"That sounds really great."

"Wow. Then it's a date." Suddenly a memory flashed through his mind. He remembered Isabel telling him once, 'It can't be a date Alex. It can't be anything like that.' She'd tried so hard to hold him at a distance, but he'd persevered. Somehow, he, Alex Whitman had won the affections of Isabel Evans. How had he done it? When had it happened?

"Yeah, a date." Isabel was remembering the same thing, and smiled in memory. What had she been so afraid of? Why had she refused to let Alex get close to her for so long? She'd dated other guys. Lots of them, and it was never a problem for her, but with Alex, it was different. He was different.

It suddenly occurred to her that the reason she'd pushed him away was the same reason she'd finally let him in. Something inside of her responded to him. With Alex, she had always been real, unable to pretend like she could with other people, including Max and Michael. Including herself. All of her emotions, the happiness and fear, the anger and peace all of them had been genuine when she was with him. That was what she'd feared the most. He'd forced her to look at the real Isabel. The one who'd been hiding under a superficial exterior for so many years. She didn't know why he'd done it, or how, but she was glad he had.

She reached up and touched his face and said, "Thank you, Alex."

He gave her a squeeze, and said, "Maybe you'd better wait until after dinner to thank me. You may want to take it back. I don't know if I can cook any better than you yet."

"So, you're going to brave the kitchen for me? I'm honored."

"Isabel," he said in sudden seriousness, "there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you." He pulled her into his arms, and kissed her with all the tenderness in his heart. She responded by pressing closer and winding her arms around his neck.

Back in the motel room, the gang quietly packed up Alex's computer and surveillance stuff. They retrieved his camera and piled everything into the jeep. Max stored the Shield under the passenger seat. Alone he went back inside. Instead of looking around the room to make sure they hadn't forgotten anything, Max stood staring at the corner in which Liz had been standing with the Shield. He could still see her there in his mind's eye. With a shudder, he turned off the light and closed the door.

The five people he trusted most in the world were standing around the cars talking softly about everything that had happened that day, and Max remained to one side and studied them. He thought about how reluctant he'd been to let Alex into the group. The teenager had proved himself to be a good ally, being the voice of reason as well as providing technical support. He was courageous and giving, his strongest asset being his willingness to protect Liz, Maria and Isabel at any cost. Max was glad that Isabel and he were getting closer, despite the uncertainties of their future.

Then there was Maria. He was in many ways still getting to know her, but what he liked most about her was how cautious she was. She would be the last one in the group to charge into an unknown situation. On the other hand, she was fiercely protective of those she loved: Michael, Liz and Alex. He hoped to one day be counted on that list.

Looking at his sister, Max felt joy that she'd finally let down the walls she'd used to protect herself for so long. He'd really gotten to know her these past months, and was proud in the woman she was becoming. Despite everything that had happened in the past few months Isabel had never crumbled under the pressure. She, too, preferred to move slowly, not rushing into anything, but also willing to take risks when necessary. Like him, she was stretching the limits of her abilities, growing stronger everyday. He looked forward to seeing her reach her full potential.

Michael caught his eye next. What had happened to the belligerent, rash, angry boy that he'd been a year ago? When Max thought about it, he was amazed at the transformation Michael had gone through. He was still prone to fits of impulsiveness, but it seemed he'd finally stopped running from them and himself. He was more confident in himself and his powers with each passing day. He was still headstrong, but it wasn't like before. As with Isabel, Max was looking forward to seeing what the next few months and years will bring to his friend.

Lastly, there was Liz. His soulmate. His destiny. In many ways, she was just as impulsive as Michael, putting herself at risk time and again for him, but he knew he could count on her, no matter what. She often forced him to forge ahead when he'd rather wait. With her new powers, she was as strong an asset to the team as Michael and Isabel, and Max was grateful for it. He was aware that each day they were together brought them closer to discovery... by humans or by aliens, it didn't matter. Anyone who found out about him would try to use Liz to get to him. He was thankful to know that in whatever was coming she wouldn't be completely helpless. Because the only other way he knew of to keep her safe was to stay away from her. He'd already tried to do that twice to no avail. There would be no third time.

They were irrevocably bound together in an endless circle that nothing, not even death could break. He was certain of it, as certain as he was that the sun would rise tomorrow. He and Michael, Maria, Alex, Isabel and Liz: they were a team. A powerful one. More than that, they were family now, each one deeply committed to one another. Max knew that he would go to any length to protect them and keep them all together. They looked to him for guidance and direction, and he vowed to be there for them in whatever new discoveries and adventures awaited them. Plus they had a strong ally in Sheriff Valenti. Max thought again about how glad he was that he could count on the older man's judgment and guidance in whatever lie ahead.

Later, walking home after taking Liz back to the CrashDown, he thought of what the future held in store for them, and little pieces of old conversations floated through his mind. "Set off those orbs, and you have no idea who you might be leading straight to us." "Our enemies have come to the Earth. You will know them only by the evilness within." "...You've set off a beacon that can be heard around the globe. All of my people will be receiving the signal, and there's nothing you can do to stop it... The others will know where you are. They will come here looking for you."

'Let them come,' thought Max. 'We'll be ready for them.' No matter what the future might bring to them, they would find a way to overcome it, somehow. All of them together.

Part 15 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.