FanFic - Max/Liz
"August and Everything After"
Part 21
by Anunaki
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell, but if they are going to drop the ball by not having it on for months at a time, I wouldn't mind taking the reins.
Summary: My own idea of what happens after destiny
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Dragging Max’s limp body up the flight of stairs to his room was not an easy or quiet task, and Isabel was thankful her parents had decided to have their own night out and the house was empty. Even though she had often wanted an excuse to share the truth with her parents, she didn’t want it under these circumstances.

His skin was unnaturally pale and although the house was warm and his shirt slick with sweat, he still shivered. Isabel pulled the covers over him and brushed the damp hair away from his forehead.

“Liz!” He didn’t open his eyes, but clutched at Isabel’s arm with a strength that surprised her considering how he looked.

“Shhh. It’s okay. We’re all okay.” Isabel had never really seen anyone sick before. She had never felt how hot skin could get and on her brother it terrified her in a way she’d never felt before. She’d always been prepared for the fact that something might be coming for them, but it never occurred to her that something might happen to Max, and she would still be there.

“God, Alex. I’ve never been through this before. I don’t know what to do.”

“Can’t you do something with your powers?”

“I’ve tried. But I don’t know what’s wrong. I don’t know how to fix it.”

“Well, the hospitals kind of out of the question, so I guess we just wait, and hope he gets better.”

“Will you stay with us?”

Alex took off his tie and jacket and hung them over the back of the chair. “Why don’t you go wash up, change your clothes. I’ll let you know if anything happens.”

**********

Isabel had refused to leave Max’s side, even after the fever broke. She had lain next to him, speaking softly, as his breathing became more regular and the shuddering subsided. The talking gave way to silence as she too had fallen asleep, the worst of her fears over. She moved in her sleep, her baggy sweats twisting around her, her hair in a tangle behind her shoulders. Her face relaxed to a child-like innocence it’d probably never known awake. It was an image Alex never got to see, and he wanted to just sit and take it in as long as possible. To Alex she looked beautiful, the Isabel he’s always wanted to know. The one he knew he never would.

He shook her gently. “Isabel. I should probably be going.”

She checked her brother again, then sat up nodding. “I’ll walk you out.”

He gathered his things and they quietly made their way downstairs. Isabel pulled her jacket tighter around her as they stepped out into the chill night air. She closed the door behind her and finally dared to talk above a whisper.

“Look, Alex. I’m sorry about what happened before-”

“That’s okay. I should be apologizing. We all have parts of us we don’t want anyone to know about. I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you for just being human.”

Isabel dropped her eyes to the ground. “But you were right. There is something I didn’t want you to find out. I have been avoiding you lately. Something in me seems to be changing, and it has to do with you.” He looked at her with interest. “Sometimes, when I’m around you, I get this feeling.”

“I don’t suppose it’s love?” He tried to joke, but already knew it wasn’t.

She shook her head. “No, more like nausea.”

“So in other words, I make you sick.”

“Alex.” He could see hear the pain in her voice and knew it was hurting her just to admit this to him. But he couldn’t help the way it made him feel.

“So, were you just not going to tell me? Just let me hang on, thinking that there was something for us and trying not to retch everytime you saw me? I think I deserve a little better than that.”

Isabel knew that there was nothing she could say and only stood there as the tears began to fill her eyes.

“Wait, does this have anything to do with the whole destiny with Michael thing?”

“I don’t know. I think it might.”

Alex sighed and held the car door open before getting in. “Isabel, I really like you. We’re friends, and I don’t want to change that. But I can’t just be someone you cling to because it’s easy. You need to figure out what’s going on between you and Michael. But I can’t just wait around while you do. I’ll see you around.”

**********

Maria made sure that Tess was resting comfortably then walked out into the living room to check on her other patient. Michael was sitting on the edge of the couch, holding onto his side while breathing in short gasps, trying to avoid the pain that came when his lungs expanded too much.

She sat down next to him and eased his shirt up to check out the damage, and could tell he was in pain even from that slight movement. “I think you might have broken some ribs.” He was badly bruised but there wasn’t anything else wrong that she could see. “I wish we could take you to the hospital or something.”

“I’ll repair myself with time. I always have. I’ll be fine.”

She helped ease him down to lay on the couch and when she moved to get up he held her next to him.

“Now, what we’re we doing before all this happened?”

“Not tonight, Loverboy.” She adjusted the pillow under his head and kissed him gently. “Get some rest. I’ll come by to see how you are tomorrow.”

He nodded, but his eyes were closed and he was half asleep already. She watched him for a minute, not wanting to leave his like this but knowing there was nothing else she could do. She switched off the light and headed toward the door.

“Maria.” She could barely make him out in the darkness. She wasn’t sure whether he was really talking to her or just asleep. She waited to see if he would say more. “I love you.”

She opened the door and in the light pouring in from the hallway saw that his eyes were half opened as he struggled for consciousness.

“I know. Now get some rest.” She smiled and closed the door.

Part 20 | Index | Part 22
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.