FanFic - Max/Liz
"Beginning Again"
Part 1
by Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB television network or the author Melinda Metz.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This takes place after Max is seen kissing Tess by Liz.
CRASHDOWN - AFTER SCHOOL

Max and Michael and Isabel are having an impromptu meeting in order to discuss their fears regarding the obvious animosity between Max and Liz and what that could mean for them.

Michael: "Well, Maxwell, do you still feel so sure that we can trust them?"

Max: (irritated) "I don't know why you have to keep after this."

Isabel: "Max!" "Those two will hardly even look at us." "Can you blame us for being a little worried?"

Max: (repentant) "I guess not, but I don't know what you expect me to do about it."

Michael: "The question is, what are they going to do about us?"

Max: "You know they won't say anything, Michael."

Michael: "No, I don't know that. Not anymore. And, neither do you."

(leaves)

Isabel: "He's right, Max." "We don't know what they might decide to do." "They just act like they don't even know us."

Max: "I know, Is. The thing is, I don't think there's anything we can do about it except wait and see."

Isabel: "That's a lot to ask when it's our lives at stake."

Max: "Maybe you would have better luck approaching them than I have had with Liz.

Isabel: "What do you mean?"

Max: "Why don't you see if you can find a way to hang out with them or something . . ."

Isabel: "How exactly am I supposed to do that?"

Max: "I'm not sure. Why don't you come back here after closing and see if you can talk to them." "Maybe they'll be more receptive to you since you're a female."

Isabel: "I don't know, Max."

Max: "Try . . . please."

Isabel: "O.k." (unconvinced)

CRASHDOWN - JUST AFTER CLOSING

Maria and Liz have just finished cleaning up and are sitting down in a couple of chairs they have dragged over in front of a dart board.

The girls are absolutely beat . . . as much from working that night as from the emotional stress they've been under lately. Ignoring 3 aliens in your immediate vicinity as if they weren't there was downright exhausting. They are facing the wall and have their backs to the front door.

Maria: "I am sooooo glad your parents are out of town."

Liz: "Me, too." (doesn't really sound like she cares one way or the other)

Maria: "You know what we need tonight, Liz?"

Liz: "I can't imagine . . ." (sighs)

Maria: "We need to go out dancing and just forget all about this alien abyss we've both been sucked into." (gets up)

Liz: "I don't know, Maria . . ." (throws a dart and comes very close to the bullseye)

Maria comes back into the room with a beer for each of them and hands one to Liz who looks at it and then Maria questioningly.

Maria: "Trust me, Liz." "This is exactly what we both need tonight." "It's time to turn over a new leaf." "You and I are going to go out and have fun tonight if it kills us."

Liz: "The way I feel right now, it just might." (trys the beer and throws another dart . . . this time she hits the bullseye)

Maria: "I know it'll be a little strange at first, but at least we won't be sitting here pining."

Liz: "Well, there is that, I suppose." "Can we at least rest for 10 minutes first?"

Maria: "Oh . . . no problem . . . besides, we need to finish these and our game." (gets up and turns on the jukebox: Shania Twain's "Honey, I'm home" comes on)

The car won't start--it's falling apart

I was late for work and the boss got smart

My pantyline shows--got a run in my hose

My hair went flat--man, I hate that

Liz: "Wow. We really are turning over a new leaf. Shania Twain?"

Maria: "It's the message that's important here, Liz."

Liz: "Oh . . . I see. (not really seeing at all)

Honey, I'm home and I had a hard day

Pour me a cold one and oh, by the way

Rub my feet, gimme something to eat

Fix me up my favorite treat

Liz and Maria join in the song at this point.

I broke a nail opening the mail

I cursed out loud 'cause it hurt like hell

This job's a pain--it's so mundane

It sure don't stimulate my brain

This job ain't worth the pay

Can't wait til the end of the day

Honey, I'm on my way

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

The song ends and the girls have finished not one but two beers and their game. All of a sudden from behind them, they hear someone. Both girls drop their heads over the backs of their chairs to see who is invading, but at this point not really caring very much.

Their upside down inspection reveals Isabel.

Liz: "I know I locked that door." (picks her head back up and throws another dart)

Maria: "Looks like we need better locks." (grins at Isabel)

Isabel just rolls her eyes and smiles relieved that they aren't going to jump down her throat.

Isabel: "Shania Twain?" "You two really are in a mood aren't you?"

Maria: "Can you blame us?"

Isabel: "No. I suppose not."

(sighs) "Can I join you?"

Maria: "Sure. But you might want to avoid the alcohol since it seems to have such a pronounced affect on your . . . well, whatever."

Isabel: "I promise to stay sober, if you promise to leave me out of the bashing."

Maria and Liz look at each other and then back at Isabel.

Maria and Liz together: "Deal."

Isabel: "What are you up to tonight?"

Maria: "Why, are you spying?"

Isabel: "Ouch. No, I'm not spying. I just thought maybe I could hang out with you."

Liz and Maria look at each other again (incredulous).

Liz: "You? Want to hang with us?" (perplexed)

Maria: "Do you really expect us to believe you don't have something better to do tonight? (totally bewildered but too tired to examine the situation very closely)

Isabel: "Let's just say I'd like to spend some time in the company of other women tonight."

Maria: (brightening) "Well, you've come to the right place."

Liz: "Maria's singing tonight, but we're going dancing first. Meet us back here in half an hour and we'll go. Isabel leaves to go home and change.

Isabel walks into Max's room 20 minutes later dressed to go out.

Max: "Where are you going dressed like that?" (alarmed)

Isabel: (shrugs) "They're going dancing."

Max: "Dancing?" (worried now . . .)

Isabel: "It gets worse. They're also drinking."

Max: "No way." (thunderous)

Isabel: "Way." "See ya." (Retreating)

Max: "I'll drive you." (gets up to go after her)

CRASHDOWN -

Maria and Liz have spent the last half-hour getting dressed up to go out dancing and drinking still yet another beer. They sit back down in their chairs to resume their dart game and wait for Isabel to return. Before she sits down, Maria puts another Shania Twain song on the jukebox. This time it's "Man, I feel like a woman."

I'm goin' out tonight--I'm feelin' alright

Liz: "Again? Maria, I don't think I can turn over a whole new leaf in one night."

Maria: "Would you relax and let me guide you into an evening of non-pining?"

The best thing about being a woman

is the perogative to have a little fun and . . .

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy--forget I'm a lady

Men's shirts, short skirts

Oh, oh, oh, really go wild--yeah, doin' it in style

Liz: "Next you'll be telling me we're going country- line dancing!"

Maria: "I hadn't actually considered that, but . . ."

Liz: "Forget it!"

Maria: "Come on, Liz." "You gotta be willing to try something new."

Liz: "I did that. Just look where it got me." "Sitting here getting drunk with you."

Maria: "Cheers." (They clink their bottles together a little too hard and burst into a fit of giggles.)

The girls need a break--tonight we're gonna take

The chance to get out on the town

We don't need romance--we only wanna dance

We're gonna let our hair hang down

Isabel and Max have just let themselves in the locked door and stand there waiting for the girls to notice them. Isabel clears her throat after the song ends and two heads fall over the backs of their chairs . . . again. The upside down view produces not one Evans, but two.

Liz: "Damn, I know I locked that door."

Maria: (to Isabel) "What's he doing here?"

Isabel: "Relax. He just gave me a ride. He's leaving, right Max?"

Max: (looking at Liz in total disbelief) "What? Yeah, I'm going."

Liz: "I suppose it would defeat the purpose if he stayed, wouldn't it, Maria?"

Maria: "You're darn right it would." "See ya, Max."

(Max leaves hesitantly. He decides right then and there that he's going to need help tonight and goes to look for Michael.)

AT MICHAEL'S

MAX: "MICHAEL, YOU HAVE GOT TO COME WITH ME."

MICHAEL: "HAVE TO?"

MAX: "You didn't see them." (rubbing his forehead with one hand and looking a little distraught) "They have on these . . . outfits, they're drunk, and they're listening to Shania Twain!"

Michael: "You're kidding."

Max just looks at him.

Michael: "You're not kidding." (Shakes his head.) "O.k." "I'll go, but I don't know what you think we're gonna do."

Max: "We're gonna keep them from getting hurt."

Michael: "Sounds to me like they're bent on getting into trouble." "Shania Twain?"

Max: "Yeah." "The funny thing is, I sent Isabel over there tonight to kinda check up on them and see what's going on." "Now, it's like she's one of them." (shakes his head, totally confused)

Michael: "Sounds like we better get going."

AT THE NIGHT CLUB

Maria and Liz and Isabel are dancing the night away. On the dance floor the girls are having a blast. Alex and the band are already there setting up for the last set of the night when Maria's due to sing with them.

Michael and Max are sitting in the back unobserved so far and just keeping an eye on their girls. Both are wearing pretty grim expressions at this point in anticipation of all the trouble that could be coming.

Between the three of them, they had the attention of every male in the club. Maria finally notices the guys in the back but doesn't let them know that she's aware of their presence. She goes up to the DJ and requests "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye just to be ornery.

When Isabel and Liz hear the song that's coming on they send up a cheer, just as Maria returns with Alex in tow. She's grinning from ear to ear, but doesn't tell the others what she knows.

As the song progresses, the girls are really getting into the music and making quite a scene.

Max and Michael both look like they'd cheerfully kill every other man in the room.

Max is watching Liz. She's so graceful and . . . sexy. He swallows very hard and tries to think about something else . . . anything else.

Michael is watching Maria with the same intensity. The song finally ends and the two sit back and breathe deeply.

The girls sit down and the band comes out on stage. Alex signals Maria that it's almost time. She gets up and walk onto the stage.

Maria: "Hi. I'm Maria and we're going to do a special song for you guys tonight." "Before we start, I'd just like to dedicate this to my best-friend, Lizzy, and to the love that just won't be denied." (Liz still doesn't know that Max is there.)

She starts singing "You've got a way with me" by Shania Twain.

You've got a way with me

Somehow You got me to believe

In everything that I could be

I've gotta say -- you really got a way

Isabel goes to dance, but Liz turns away every request. She just sits there wondering if she'll ever be able to love anyone again. She's alone at the table.

Maria makes eye contact with Michael and he realizes for the first time that she knows he's there. She sings the song as if she's singing it just for him. He's absolutely enchanted. He can't take his eyes of her.

You've got a way it seems

You gave me faith to find my dreams

You'll never know just what that means

Can't you see . . . you got a way with me

It's in the way you want me

It's in the way you hold me

The way you show me just what love's made of

It's in the way we make love

Max finally gives in to the overwhelming desire to be close to Liz and walks up to her and asks her to dance. She looks so surprised to see him that he can't help but smile at her expression. She's so beautiful.

She just stares at him for a few seconds before she registers that he's waiting for her to do something. She gets up and he takes her hand and leads her out onto the dance floor. He holds her close as the song continues . . .

You've got a way with words

You get me smiling even when it hurts

There's no way to measure what your love is worth

I can't believe the way you get through to me

Oh how I adore you

Like no one before you

I love you just the way you are . . .

Max and Liz finish the dance and he pulls back a little to look at her and see what she's thinking. She touches his cheek and he leans down and kisses her sweetly.

Max: "I'm so sorry. Will you ever forgive me?"

Liz: "I think I just did."

Max: "I love you, Liz."

Liz: "I love you, too."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.