FanFic - Max/Liz
"By Your Side"
Part 22
by RoswellBeliever
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing having to do with anything Roswell or the WB. I wish I owned Jason Behr though...that would be nice... :oP Also, I did not write, nor do I own the song "By Your Side" by Sade. I'm just borrowing it! :o)
Summary: This is a story for anyone who is a true Roswell believer and die hard supporter of Max and Liz!!! I don't want to give anything away so that's all I'm going to say!!! However, my story takes place after the episode "Max in the City".
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: If anyone has any comments about this story, PLEASE E-MAIL ME!!! Even if you hate my story and just want to tell me everything that is wrong with it, please do so! I would love to hear any feedback at all!!! I need to know if this story totally sux or if it is good!!! Thanks so much guys!!!
Max was standing at the foot of the ladder, his heart beating so fast he could barely breathe. He had thought this would have been easier, but now, as he stood, rehearsing over and over what he planned to say to Liz, he was getting more nervous every second.

Liz was sitting in her lawn chair on the balcony, looking at the stars. It was hard to believe that some day Max would be that far away. Liz closed her eyes. He was all she could think about.

"At least he know the truth..." Liz whispered aloud to herself. As long as he knew how much she loved him, some small part of Liz could rest.

"Liz," Max called softly into the air.

Liz opened her eyes. Had someone just called her name?

"Liz," Max called again. Liz stood up and walked to the edge of the roof, knowing that Max would be standing there.

"Max, what are you doing here?" Liz looked around to make sure no one was around.

"I need to talk to you. Can I come up?" Liz hesitated nervously. "Please, Liz, it's important," Max pleaded.

"Okay," Liz gave in. When Max reached the top, Liz was standing awkwardly, shifting her weight from foot to foot. Max stood across from her, and for a moment, just looked at her. She was so beautiful, just standing there, clearly uncomfortable and avoiding his eyes.

"Max," Liz interupted his thoughts. "Why are you here?"

"Liz, we made an agreement today," he began.

"Who made an agreement?" she looked confused.

"Me, Michael, Isabel, and Tess."

"Okay..." Liz was still confused.

"Liz, we made an agreement to forget about our destiny." Now Liz was really confused.

"What do you mean, Max?"

"I mean that we decided we're not going to follow the destiny we had in our former lives. I'm not going to be with Tess. Michael's not going to be with Isabel," Max's eyes were wide as he spoke.

"But, Max how can you do that? Tess left because you weren't together, remember? That's how all of this started..." Liz looked away.

"That was the other part of the agreement. We made a pact to stay together. No matter what happens or who we fall in love with."

"Oh..." Liz mumbled blankly.

"Don't you see what this means, Liz? We can be together now! And it's okay! Nothing's going to happen!" Max reached out and took Liz's hand.

"But Max, how can you be sure? What if Tess changes her mind and leaves anyway?" Liz pulled her hand away and looked at Max. He looked so excited.

"Well, I guess I can't be one hundred percent sure..." Max's expression changed and he looked down at the ground. They stood in silence for a moment before Max spoke again.

"I have faith in Tess," he said confidently. Liz looked up at him surprised. "She was the first one to agree. She understood that it's vital to each of our existences that we stay together. Liz, she cares more about getting home than she does about me and who I choose to be with. Tess won't let us down; I'm sure of it."

Liz turned over all this information in her brain. It was beginning to sound to good to even be true.

"But, Max, your Mother, everyone on your planet," Liz struggled to find the right words, "the thing between you and Tess. They're all counting on you being with her," Liz felt her voice begin to shake.

"Liz, we create our own destinies. I still believe that. And I'm not going to let someone billions of miles away from me, who doesn't even really know me, tell me who I'm supposed to be with," Max took Liz's hand again and she didn't let go.

"Liz, if Tess mattered anything to me, I wouldn't be here with you. Every part of me tells me that you're the one, Liz. And when I'm not with you, you're all I think about. I know this is right, Liz! When we made that agreement this afternoon, nothing I've ever done as leader has ever felt as right," he moved closer to her. Liz swallowed and attempted to speak several times.

"Max, I just don't want to be responsible for you dying. I couldn't take it if anything happened to you just because I couldn't let you go," Liz whispered between tears.

"Liz, that's not your decision to make," Max repeated words that she had once told him when he had been worried about her getting hurt if they got involved.

Max reached up and touched Liz's tear stained cheek.

"I just don't want you to regret making this decision..." Liz felt a sob escape her chest. Max looked at her, amazement showing in his face as what Liz had said.

"Liz, how could you ever think that I would ever regret choosing you? You're all I've ever wanted," Max whispered softly as he stepped towards her, so close to Liz now that she could feel his breath on her cheek.

"I'm so sorry, Max. I'm so sorry for lying to you, and making your life harder than it has to be," Liz began sobbing softly. Max looked on for a moment, and then took her in his arms and held her tightly.

It was the best feeling in the world for Max. Holding her, knowing that she was still his. She hadn't given herself to Kyle. She had sacraficed her own happiness, just so Max could fufill his destiny. The past two and a half months now seemed like a dream.

Just the thought made Max hold Liz tighter. Her hair was so soft, and it smelled so good: like apples. Liz had stopped crying now, but Max didn't let her go. For months, he had almost succeeded in convincing himself that Liz didn't want him anymore. But now, feeling her arms holding him just as tightly as he was holding her, feeling her head against his shoulder, and holding her own small body so close to his, it was heaven.

They stood there, holding each other for what seemed to be a long time.

Liz was reveling in the feel of him. His strong arms around her back and waiste, and the way he smelled. Some kind of cologne. Whatever kind it was, Liz couldn't get enough. For months she had imagined what his arms would feel like around her again, and now he was here. And all the pain that had been building inside of her seemed to fall away.

They pulled away slightly and looked at each other. Max leaned in closer to her face, and Liz parted her lips. This was it.

Max leaned down and kissed her softly and gently. Liz felt her entire body quiver with images of the hurt that Max had felt upon seeing her with Kyle.

"Oh, Max, I'm so sorry," Liz felt the tears once again returning. But Max wasn't the least angry or hurt now. He had felt Liz's despair at lying to Max. They understood each other now, completely.

"No, I'm sorry, for ever asking you to do that..." Max whispered, leaning in again to kiss her.

Releasing her from the kiss, Max pulled Liz close again.

'I'm never going to get used to how good his arms feel around me...' Liz thought to herself, smiling for what seemed to be the first time in months.

"So, Max, what now?" Liz asked softly, not moving her head from his shoulder.

"It doesn't matter...." Max whispered back.

Part 21 | Index | Part 23
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.