FanFic - Max/Liz
"Captivated by Darkness"
Part 11
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don't have nuthin' to do with Roswell the show, and this is written purely for entertainment purposes. I have borrowed their characters, but have no intention of stealing any glory from the most excellent show on television. This is simply a tribute to the wonder I feel at every episode of Roswell.
Summary: Mostly M/L and M/M, some M/T and others in background; a "T" storyline, so bail now if you donšt want to walk the walk of the damned.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Dedication: to N/A, whose trilogies are awe-inspiring Feedback: please...good, bad and the ugly.
Liz wasn't answering her phone.

Max hadnšt been able to talk to her at all since that episode at lunch and it was driving him crazy. All her parents would say was that she was resting.

But if Liz had seen the vision that he had, then she would think that he and Tess were... had...

And it would have to be killing her.

Max hung up the phone with a grim look.

He looked back into the family room where Tess and Isabel were seated.

Tess had totally freaked him out with that telepathic message last night. So much so that he couldn't bring himself to tell Isabel and Michael about it. Not until he understood it more, anyway.

All Tess would say is that it was normal for them. But she couldn't explain why none of the three could do it with each other. And she wouldn't consent to test it with the others.

Honestly, she didn't seem to trust them very much.

But the telepathy had to mean something. Either something was different about her, or something was different about the connection between he and Tess.

Like what?

Together, they had been over every scrap of information about their lives, and they could find no special link between Max and Tess. Besides the obvious, anyway.

But Max wasn't ready to chalk it all up to him just being a jerk and betraying the girl he loved.

Yes, alright....that was what it felt like.

And yes, that was even what it looked like. Especially to Liz.

But it wasn't that. It couldn't be that.

He grabbed the chips and napkins and headed back to the den. They would sit here all night if they had to.

Liz needed him to find out what the connection was.

He felt that with every fiber of his being.

******

It was this part of her plan that Liz absolutely dreaded. Maria was on her way over to Max's and here she was at Michael's...again.

She knocked on his door...after cursing herself for having to do this.

He opened the door warily, scrubbing his hair in a sleepy motion.

"Liz? What's up?"

Liz strode past him into the apartment.

"I need to ask you a favor."

She turned and met his eyes with determination.

Michael tilted his head and crossed his arms.

"You're obviously feeling better. What is it?"

Nodding at his admonishment, she began, "I'm going to talk to Max. But I have this bad feeling that something may not let me get through it, so I need a back-up, preferably someone from...up north."

She stopped and watched for his reaction.

"So, let me get this straight. You want Max back, and you want me to help," Michael smirked. "I can see one big problem with this scenario."

Liz glared at him.

"You mean besides the fact that that's not what I'm trying to do at all?"

Michael blinked and shifted his body slightly.

"Okay, so what are you trying to do?"

Liz wasn't quite sure how to answer him.

"Yeah, I...need to warn him about Nasedo."

Michaelšs eyes narrowed.

"What the hell do you know about Nasedo?"

Liz took a step forward and raised her hands in an effort to calm Michael.

"He's trying to keep Max and I apart, I think."

Michael snapped at her.

"What? Thatšs ridiculous. Liz, the entire world is not concerned with your love life!"

"Michael, something's not right-" she began stubbornly.

He turned back to the door and opened it for her.

"Yeah. You accusing Nasedo isn't right. You can leave now."

Liz stared at him and then shook her head as she walked toward the door. Just as she passed him, she stopped.

Strengthening her resolve, she turned to him one more time.

"I realize that I sound..."

"Self-absorbed," Michael supplied with a raised eyebrow.

"Uh, yeah...yeah," Liz glanced down quickly, trying not to look as desperate as she felt. "But if I'm right and something does happen to me before I can talk to Max, just please tell him what I said. Please. He may not listen to Maria."

Michael's face was unreadable, but he finally nodded.

"Sure."

Liz nodded, feeling like she'd just burned her last bridge behind her.

******

"Things are getting worse, but I feel a lot better.
And that's all that really matters to me."

- Counting Crows

******

Max opened the door with a surprised look on his face.

"Maria?"

She launches into her prepared speech.

"Yeah, I don't want to be here, either, but Liz and Michael are on their way over to talk to you and I'm supposed to run interference."

"Liz and Michael?"

"Don't worry, Michael's just an escort because Liz is...worried that she won't make it or something."

Max shifts nervously as he speaks, "Yeah, how is she? I've been trying to call all afternoon, but her parents won't let me talk to her."

Maria examines her nails.

"Pity. I guess they have something against two-timing guys who completely demolish their daughter's heart. Go figure."

Max sighs.

"Yeah, well, I would ask you to come inside, but I have company."

Maria looks past Max to see Tess standing in the hallway, listening.

"Oh, her? Tess won't mind, will you," Maria pushes past Max and seats herself on the living room couch. "Liz will be here in just a sec."

Tess and Max enter the living room and exchange a glance.

Maria looks up at them innocently.

"Oh, did you want the couch? How rude of me," she says as she stands. "Go on, grope to your heart's content. I'm sure you won't mind if I sit here and glare at you. Just pretend like Išm not here."

Isabel covers her mouth with her hand to hide the smile on her face.

Max rolls his eyes.

Tess shoots Maria a superior look.

"Thank you, donšt mind if I do," she says as she moves closer to Max and stares into his eyes.

Max glances away, uncomfortable, but a touch from Tess on his arm brings his eyes back to hers.

He gets lost in them immediately.

Tess leans in close to Max, looking directly at his lips...

"Dogs in heat," Maria mumbles as she looks around and grabs a nearby cup.

Jumping to her feet, she desperately flings the ice cold contents at them.

Tess gasps and pulls away from Max as he bellows.

"Maria!"

"Oops, did I do that," Maria asks innocently.

Tess' eyes practically bore holes in Mariašs head. She waves her hand once over the spilled soda dripping down her body and it disappears.

Maria's smile fades and she backs away from Tess.

"What's wrong, Maria," Tess taunts her. "If you can't bowl with the big girls, stay out of the tacky shoes."

Max goes to grab a towel out of the kitchen, then reaches back and pulls Tess with him.

She hesitates, then looks back at Maria as she exits.

"I guess we do want a little more privacy, don't we, Max?"

Maria stares after them a moment, trying to calm herself.

"Well," she turned to Isabel. "I guess some aliens are green and slimy after all. Big surprise."

She sat back on the couch with a huff and shook her head.

Maybe Tess wasn't Nasedo, but she was an alien just the same.

And coming here is probably the last thing Liz should be doing.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.