FanFic - Max/Liz
"Captivated by Darkness"
Part 6
by Ash
Disclaimer: I donąt have nuthiną to do with Roswell the show, and this is written purely for entertainment purposes. I have borrowed their characters, but have no intention of stealing any glory from the most excellent show on television. This is simply a tribute to the wonder I feel at every episode of Roswell.
Summary: Mostly M/L and M/M, some M/T and others in background; a łT˛ storyline, so bail now if you donąt want to walk the walk of the damned
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: to N/A, whose trilogies are awe-inspiring
At 7:50 Liz found herself ready and waiting for Alex.

She wandered outside and sat in the doorway of the deserted Crashdown Cafe.

It was a peaceful and pleasant evening, all things considered. A gentle breeze wafted across her face.

She sighed and closed her eyes for a moment, feeling safe in the darkness that shrouded her.

Voices drifted across the street and she reluctantly opened her eyes.

She was stunned to see Max and Tess coming out of the UFO Center.

Max had his uniform on, and Liz couldąve kicked herself for not remembering that 8:00 was when the UFO Center closed for the night.

Tess must have been visiting him.

The blonde looked perfect in her slim-fitting navy dress as she walked close beside Max, and slid her hand inside of his own.

Liz sucked in a breath and forced herself to look down, away from them. Her stomach twisted up in a knot.

When she finally looked back up, she wished she hadn't.

Max had stopped walking and was looking deeply into Tess' eyes. She stepped closer, and before Liz could even blink, their lips met.

Immediately, Liz felt her stomach rise up and she staggered to her feet.

Somehow she made it to the alley beside the cafe before she fell to her knees and retched horribly, hating the feeling of weakness and nausea that was sweeping over her.

After several dry heaves, she remembered that she hadn't eaten anything since early morning.

When exactly had her life started to fall apart?

Suddenly, she felt arms around her and heard Alex's voice.

"It's okay, Lizzie, it's okay," he knelt behind her and rubbed her back softly. "I saw it, too."

Liz allowed herself to lean over into his arms, realizing for the first time that she was crying.

Alex pulled her close and laid his chin on her head, murmuring softly.

"He's a grade A, first class asshole. He's not worth it."

But she couldn't stop crying, not for a long time.

******

Max shifted in his chair again, stealing a glance over at Tess. She had her head bowed over her US Government book, her long hair blocking his view. As her pencil scratched across the page, Max wondered at her ability to concentrate.

He couldnąt stop thinking about that kiss.

Tess stopped writing.

"Max," She called softly, her eyes still looking down at her book. "What is it?"

He had been staring again.

"I'm...sorry," he took a deep breath and decided to continue. "I wanted to apologize for...kissing you like that. I don't normally...uh..."

"It was nice," Tess finally smiled and turned her head enough to look at him. "Just forget about it."

Max nodded.

But he couldn't forget about it.

They worked for a few minutes more in silence before he finally got the courage to speak again.

"Tess, when we kissed, did you...uh.." he faded off.

"See things," she asked without turning her head to him.

His heart leapt and a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

"You did?"

She looked deeply into his eyes a moment, then nodded.

"Did you," she asked quietly.

"Yeah," he smiled.

She smiled in return.

"So, you know, then...about me."

Max leaned back in his chair, at ease for the first time in days. "Yeah. And you know about me, too." When she nodded, he almost laughed at the amazed look on her face.

"I've waited for this for a long time," she said.

At Max's curious look, she continued quickly.

"I mean, I've never met another...one."

Max frowned.

"Really?"

Isabel chose just that moment to enter the room and pass by on her way to the kitchen.

Max gestured loosely at his sister, "Sheąs one, too."

Isabel stopped dead in her tracks and turned on Max with cold fury in her eyes.

"Max, what are you talking about?"

He jumped up, already pleading his case with his outstretched hands.

"Iz, she's one, too."

"Max," Tess growled from where she sat.

Max looked in bewilderment at the two angry females on either side of him.

"What?"

Isabel was obviously unsure of what to say, but Tess didnąt hesitate.

"I realize that you are used to people knowing your secret. I saw from you that Liz knows," she admitted grudgingly. "But you're the first person I've ever admitted it to, and I don't want others knowing. Especially Liz. Can't you understand that?"

Max nodded humbly. "I'm sorry, Tess. I just...I do understand. Trust me, I do. We may need to tell Michael, but we won't tell anyone else."

Tess looked at Isabel with a frown, but suddenly turned on her brilliant smile.

"Great."

******

Liz shook her head. Alex was trying to help, but pizza was the last thing she wanted right now. Of course, it was the least offensive food item on the list of choices he had given her once he found out that she hadnąt eaten all day. But the thought of all that grease...

"Here ya go," Alex grinned as he shoved a loaded plate of pizza at Liz.

Her stomach threatened to revolt immediately.

"Liz," Alex sounded concerned as he watched her pale face. "You need to eat."

Liz looked at him and nodded faintly. She reached for the pepperoni slice with as much energy as she could force and shoved it into her mouth before she could think about it any longer.

As she tore off a piece and chewed it, Alex smiled and began to relax.

"You'll feel better once you've eaten. You always get sick when you don't eat, you know," said the resident Liz expert.

It was irritating, but he was right. Of course, it would help if the pizza didnąt taste like sand. She could barely choke it down.

"Now, besides your ex-soul mate getting physical with a blond bimbette, what else is stirring your kettle," Alex asked with his no-nonsense, best-friend stare.

Liz sighed. He knew her too well sometimes. How could she explain what she had seen in her journal? The words had...floated up off the page at her. She'd sound like lunatic.

"And no matter what it is, I won't think you're a lunatic," Alex said lightly.

Liz glanced at him sharply. "Promise?"

Alex frowned, "Of course. Could this be any worse than the whole 'Max-is-an-alien' talk we had in jail? And that didn't make me think you were a lunatic."

"No, you just accused me of being on hallucinogens."

Alex barked out a laugh.

"Oh, that's right," he said sheepishly. "So, I learned my lesson. Liz Parker will always tell me the truth, because thatąs what she promised me. Even if it sounds wacky. Right?"

How had he managed to turn this around on her? Just like he did to Valenti that day in jail...

"You know, you really ought to think about being a lawyer, Alex."

He nodded knowingly.

"Don't change the subject, Liz."

Atleast she wouldnąt have to eat any more. She knew Alex as well as he knew her. They would be back at her balcony in five minutes. He would want to see it for himself.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.