FanFic - Max/Liz
"Captivated by Darkness"
Part 30
by Ash
Disclaimer: Written purely for entertainment purposes. I have borrowed their characters, but have no intention of stealing any glory from the most excellent show on television. Simply a tribute.
Summary: After "Sexual Healing"; Mostly M/L and M/M, some M/T and others in background; a "T" storyline, so bail now if you don't want to walk the walk of the damned.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to N/A, whose trilogies are awe-inspiring.
Max laid Liz down in the center of the symbol, the same one they had used to heal Michael. He brushed the hair off of her face, then looked up at Eddie.

Eddie nodded.

Max bent over Liz and whispered to her. "Liz, I'll be right here."

She opened her eyes briefly and reached for him, trying to pull his lips down to hers.

Max resisted for a moment, then gave in. They connected instantly.

******

*Max!*

He knew it was Tess.

*I'm going to heal her, Tess. I won't let her die.*

But it was a bluff. How could he heal Liz if Tess was in control of her body?

*Good question, Max. You can't. So, just relax and let's enjoy these last few moments of Liz's life together. You and me.*

Max knew she could feel his emotions. He stopped holding back his anger and hatred of being connected to her. He felt her falter.

******

Liz was dying. And she was scared. She felt the pain, the blood leaving her body.

And Tess gloating. Her body still wasn't her own. Her mind was all she had left. And it was quickly... too quickly, losing ground.

Max! Oh god, Max...

******

Isabel bolted to the center of the symbol when Eddie nodded at her. She laid her hands on Max's back and closed her eyes.

Almost immediately, she felt him in her mind, joining hers.

He was angry, grappling with Tess. Isabel could feel Tess' presence... and Liz barely hanging on.

They didn't have much time.

******

Michael took a last glance across at Maria before thrusting his hands on Max's arm. The connection took hold as soon as he closed his eyes and he felt Tess scream at them.

*What are you doing? Why are you doing this to me?*

Michael joined his mind with Isabel and Max's, pushing against Tess.

******

Maria's face was streaked with tears as she walked forward.

If this didn't work...

She forced herself to clear her mind and placed a hand gently on Max's back, close enough to touch Michael.

Glancing up, she saw Eddie nod at Alex. Alex walked forward and knelt beside Liz, placing a hand on Max's other arm.

Maria closed her eyes and concentrated. She heard an echo in her head, fuzzy at first. It sounded like... Michael. As she focused on the sound, it became more distinct.

It was him! In her mind!

*Maria! Do you feel Tess?*

Maria frowned. She couldn't feel anything except Michael... Oh, wait... there was anger... and she focused on it.

No, that's Max.

*Hi, Max.*

*Maria! Good. Help us. Focus on Tess.*

Max's love for Liz washed over Maria and she paused.

Tess...

*What does she feel like?*

Max's voice came to her softly. *Darkness. She's here with me. Just beside me.*

Michael warned her, *Wait. Don't focus on her alone. Just join us, then focus.*

*Aren't we joined?*

*Not all of us. Just wait.*

A familiar dry voice sounded nearby. *So, this is what it's like to really be schizophrenic. Cool.*

*Alex!*

*That's me.*

She gave him a mental hug, surprised that she could do that.

*Thanks. Where's Liz?*

Maria focused on Max again. He answered shortly. *She's weakening. Iz?*

*I'm here. Just... waiting for Eddie.*

Max was concerned. *You okay?*

*Fine.*

Maria could feel Isabel's fear. It was impossible to lie here.

*I'm here. Let's begin.* Eddie's voice signalled the joining.

Maria felt Max reach out with his mind to hers, linking them.

She reached out to Michael.

The oneness was amazing. Their minds were completely joined.

She didn't have to wonder how it felt to be an alien anymore.

She was one.

She smiled as Alex joined, his thoughts of Isabel shared by everyone.

*Really, Alex.*

Maria could tell she was flattered by Alex's thoughts. Of course, they all knew he was only doing this to keep her from being scared. Warm smiles in the darkness. Then Isabel reached out to Eddie and they were all joined.

*Alright, now Tess...*

With the strength of everyone's minds, it was easy to find the presence. Maria immediately felt her hatred and anger for all of them.

*Liz deserves to die. She should already be dead! Not me!*

At her words, the warmth of being joined left Maria. Red hot anger blazed through her, leaving her to quickly wonder if it was hers, Max's or Alex's... or just everyone's...

No matter.

The anger focused their minds on Tess like a lazer beam.

And suddenly there was another force there.

*Nasedo.* Max's thought echoed in everyone's mind.

A jolt of energy shot through them, empowering them all.

It grew until Maria thought she would explode if she couldn't let go.

She frantically directed her thoughts at Tess, feeling the others do the same.

Tess suddenly pulled away. *No-*

And the power broke free from them... in brilliant white light that soon covered everything.

She was gone.

******

Alex soon got used to the white light. It was still hearing the others' thoughts that was so amazing to him.

Always the last to know, always the outsider... now he felt... joined.

Even Michael now made sense to him. He could feel his love for Maria, his concern for her and the fear of discovery that drove everything he did.

And Isabel... truly as beautiful on the inside as the outside. Her love for Max, for Michael... and something he was trying to not notice about himself. But it was something good.

*Alex... focus, here.* Isabel's voice was warm and caring. But she was right, they were supposed to be concentrating on Liz.

She was so weak and needed a lot of healing. He could feel Max's fear and love for Liz. Absolutely overwhelming.

Never again would he make fun of their soulful glances at each other. This was the real thing.

He tried to ignore the feelings from Max and focus on Liz. Where was she?

Part 29 | Index | Part 31
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.